MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Sanjay Thaker

FAX expansion out of Malaysia

Guy..latest hot news or shall i call it a rumour...FAX is planning to purchase Airbus aircrafts (model unknown) to ply the KK-internation routes....no idea which international destination it is...but this is what i heard...any comments?

It's very possible :)

Heard that there are "INDEED" some "BIG PLANS" for FAX :)

Airbus... i'm not to Sure... but there is another certain French manufacturer who has attracted the cheque book of FAX :) Might be seeing lots of RM-42 and RM-72 promotions soon :)

Airbus... i'm not to Sure... but there is another certain French manufacturer who has attracted the cheque book of FAX :) Might be seeing lots of RM-42 and RM-72 promotions soon :)

Isn't ATR italian? :pardon:

Isn't ATR italian? :pardon:

The Avions de Transport Regional ATR programme is a collaboration of Aerospatiale of France and Alenia of Italy. It's more likely that FAX will replace the F50 with newer turboprop's and heard that it will enter the peninsular but much later. They need to settle the problems in Sabah / Sarawak first.

I think the leap from Twin Otter and Fokker 50 to Airbus is too big. Doubt the demand is so high that it must be done with jets.

But I agree with Fitri: settle problems in hand before venturing out.

I forsee any international expansion will be handled by Air Asia, not FAX. I suppose the only market segment that FAX may be able to handle on turbopropos is KK-Mindanao. Even so that could possibly be AK territory too (i.e. 737).

Using props to enter Peninsular... thats an interesting one. Because from experience:

Boeing 737 takes 2.5 hours, Airbus A300, DC-10-30, Airbus A330, B777 and B747 all takes up to 2.5 hours. Flying on props like ATR-72, wouldn't that take longer?

Using props to enter Peninsular... thats an interesting one. Because from experience:

Boeing 737 takes 2.5 hours, Airbus A300, DC-10-30, Airbus A330, B777 and B747 all takes up to 2.5 hours. Flying on props like ATR-72, wouldn't that take longer?

enter the peninsular means opening a base in the peninusular to operate flights on sectors that can't handle large a/c like B737 i.e.JHB-IPH

Why not upgrade directly to Embraer's if they're thinking about expanding to destinations which can accomodate such aircraft?

Alot of why not's here i see... :pardon:

Why not upgrade directly to Embraer's if they're thinking about expanding to destinations which can accomodate such aircraft?

Alot of why not's here i see... :pardon:

I believe the operating cost of the turboprops are much less expensive for any flights less than an hour. So should they are thinking of venture into the intra-Peninsular market, turboprops should be their only ideal choice.

With the low yields for domestic flights and the high fuel cost at the moment, turboprops are still alot cheaper to operate. Also props like the Dash 8 Q400 has similar performance in terms of speed (360kt or Mach .58) and has same sector time for sectors up to 400miles when compared to RJ's.

What is more urgent I think is finding a replacement for the DHC-6. Not many STOL aircraft are in production right now. Besides the Y-12, what else would make replacement for the Twotters? :huh:

what else would make replacement for the Twotters? :huh:

Not much; I can only think of (although a bit smaller than DHT) the Cessna 208 Caravan...

F50 is one of the best turboprop aircraft compared with others, especially the preset configuration such as TO/GA, CLB, CRZ, etc, on the panel which makes f50 doesn't require prop condition lever. As of others, they are still need the conventional way. FAX currently now will face difficulties in looking for suppliers of F50 and DHC 6 maintenance centre as MAS f50 and dhc 6 have been took back by DCA.

Sorry, forgot to add on, hehehe, F50 and ATR, both are using the same series of engine which is PW100 series. f50 can fly 25,000 ft while atr72 around 18,000 ft, if I'm not mistaken

Those props may be used to open up new links between Peninsular and Sabah / Sarawak such as

KCH - KUA , BTU - JHB ....ETC. ... and maybe within Peninsular like KUA - IPH / IPH - KBR or the "too big" for A32S / 737 like JHB - IPH / JHB - KBR...etc..

With the low yields for domestic flights and the high fuel cost at the moment, turboprops are still alot cheaper to operate. Also props like the Dash 8 Q400 has similar performance in terms of speed (360kt or Mach .58) and has same sector time for sectors up to 400miles when compared to RJ's.

What is more urgent I think is finding a replacement for the DHC-6. Not many STOL aircraft are in production right now. Besides the Y-12, what else would make replacement for the Twotters? :huh:

Once again , the beautiful ATR72-500

Will they be given permission to fly out of the country coz as far as we know it the govt allowed them to set up FAX to handle RURAL AIR SERVICES..but then again..knowing Dato Tony...anything's possible..:-)

Sorry, forgot to add on, hehehe, F50 and ATR, both are using the same series of engine which is PW100 series. f50 can fly 25,000 ft while atr72 around 18,000 ft, if I'm not mistaken

I so agree with you on F50 cockpit panels, a lot of MH ex-F50 pilots has positive views on them and says the technology use it's way beyond it's creation time.

F50 are using PW125B and PW127B(particulary Military and Avianca F50s) and ATR 42/72-500 are both PW127E. Hence F50 with PW127B plant perform similary with ATR42/72-500 so it's not a suprise they will change to ATR instead of other models such as Dash 8-Q400.

Sign in to follow this