MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Teoh Z Yao

What were the Chopppers Doing?

Hi folks! As I was preparing to go to to campus around 8.30 this morning I suddenly heard some rotating rotor noise... At first I thought it was just like usual those choppers flying hing in the sky and being solo... But, I was wrong! The noise became more and more pronounce as well as complex, indicating close proximity and numbers! As any avid aviation go-afters would do, I rushed to the window, the best I could get, to find out what was happening! To my surprise, I saw a huge number of choppers, as a convoy! My goodness! My first ever encounter in Malaysia! I know that's a common sight in Washington, D.C., or Afgahnistan and Iraq, but this is Malaysia... I wonder, what were they doing? There were even cables hanging down from them...

I managed to get some shots! Was initially hesitating whether to capture the actions or not, but I quickly grabbed the camera when it became clear that availability overrides quality in such a case!

Photos are in sequence...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Anyone has any info please let us know...

Edited by Teoh Z Yao

The first and third photo shows the Army Alloute and the second photo is the Navy SeaFennec. They are parked temporarily at the Sungai Besi air base. Maybe on a joint exercise. Thanks Teoh for your photos. Is it from Universiti Malaya? Still at 9th College?

Hi Fitri! Thanks for the info, too! ;-)

Yes, from University of Malaya. But, no, no longer at 9th College... Close to 9th College, actually; it's Millenium Court. :)

Edited by Teoh Z Yao

Teoh , I've seen these AF heli's doing formation a couple of times in Damansara , so happen they stop for quite awhile to regroup or something just over a school in Damansara and managed to see it , but no cam though

Ahaaa, Millenium Court. I used to stay there in my final semester at UM.

Teoh, does the BOMBA Mi17 helicopter still fly in circles over PJ and UM from time to time? They used to do that nearly every working days, circa 2002 - 2003.

I saw them too. Normally it's practice for a fly-past. Could be Hari Tentera soon or some top brass is retiring and they will do some farewell at Sungai Besi with the fly-past as part of the ceremony. If I'm right, you will see them again tomorrow at the same time. There might also be flags attached the next time. But I could be wrong :p

There are lots of military choppers passing by over my school. My, the vibration is tremendous!!!!

Same here..but recently no more..

Just a pax aircraft flew past at a low altitude over my school at 6.45am few fays ago ..It was amazing and really really low!

Teoh , I've seen these AF heli's doing formation a couple of times in Damansara , so happen they stop for quite awhile to regroup or something just over a school in Damansara and managed to see it , but no cam though

My, oh my! That must be an awesome sight!

Ahaaa, Millenium Court. I used to stay there in my final semester at UM.

Teoh, does the BOMBA Mi17 helicopter still fly in circles over PJ and UM from time to time? They used to do that nearly every working days, circa 2002 - 2003.

Hey Fitri! You stayed here also? Which block which floor which room? Haha...

When I was in first year and early second year I used to see them... But now, no... By the way, I used to see the yellow SAR's (Sarawak what I can't remember) choppers flying in first year. Later on I don't see them anymore! They offered joyrides at Bandar Bahru, Kedah, just next to my home town in early 2004 but I got many shots, including cockpit ones. Too bad they were all lost in a computer formatting!

Nice to see if all the 3 choppers were taken in one photo. Anyway, thanks for sharing.

I've contemplated that but it was too late. The shots that I show are among the last few choppers. The last few were spaced quite sparsely...

Same here..but recently no more..

Just a pax aircraft flew past at a low altitude over my school at 6.45am few fays ago ..It was amazing and really really low!

At Penang? If I am not mistaken, I know in the evening when Rwy 22 is in use a/c's inbound from north do pass over Butterworth at very low altitude. If not mistaken, 1200ft or 800ft, the MDA for the VOR approach. Can someone verify this? I've seen several passes, but whenever I was waiting, I don't get them!! :angry2:

Did someone say we can expect another formation tomorrow? I'll be waiting for them tomorrow morning! Hope to get more shots tomorrow!

At Penang? If I am not mistaken, I know in the evening when Rwy 22 is in use a/c's inbound from north do pass over Butterworth at very low altitude. If not mistaken, 1200ft or 800ft, the MDA for the VOR approach. Can someone verify this? I've seen several passes, but whenever I was waiting, I don't get them!! :angry2:

Oops I'm sorry. It was a takeoff from Rwy04 in the morning around 6.45AM.Sorry ya for not saying it clearly. :)

For the approach u mean, I think I saw once before with CA744 Cargo turning & approaching the Rwy22.It was low too :D B)

Hari Tentera is on the 16th of September. The heli's are part of the celebrations. You'll see them at the same time until the 16th. :)

There were 6 helicopters this morning....2 Nuri's joined them today. They flew over PJ and Pantai Dalam heading to Sungai Besi with Flags hung below them.

Edited by Alan B.

They flew over PJ and Pantai Dalam heading to Sungai Besi with Flags hung below them.

Exactly! That's what I saw... :)

There were more... A lot more than 6!

This morning, though, I only saw two. :(

Yeah, they flew over bukit lanjan as well. I live in TTDI so either a) someone is in a lot of trouble with the government or B) its just a fly-by practice run hehe

Hi guys. I managed to capture them on video as they flew over my house in TTDI! :) They tracked Bukit Lanjan for, im guessing, Batu Caves.

The site is www.johanfaridkhairuddin.com -- Peace! :)

Edited by Johan Farid Khairuddin

Well, Yesterday September 16th happened to be the Malaysian Armed Forces Day. I guess the copters mentioned earlier were performing rehearsals for the celebrations. I remember when Formula 1 first came to Sepang part of the opening ceremony was an air show by the RMAF.The fighter planes based in Kuantan flew over my house in Seremban (as do passenger planes now) to go to Sepang and back. What noise they made then.

Sign in to follow this