MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Attan

Faded Photographs

Over the years I have taken hundreds of photographs during fly-ins and in my GA flights. They were taken using my analog cameras and the prints were kept in folders which now fill up two fairly large boxes. To scan them all would be a daunting task but I intend to scan some of them which I shall pick at random and then post them here for all to share. As you will expect they are pictures of light aircraft predominantly and this perhaps will give a pleasant break to you from the usual airliner pictures.

More than ten years ago a fly-in was held at the Jenderata airstrip near Teluk Intan:

IPB Image

A CESSNA 206 6-seater belonging to United Plantations.

IPB Image

An RV6 taking off while a C206 awaits its turn.

IPB Image

An RV6 on approach.

IPB Image

An Agcat crop duster used in the plantations.

IPB Image

A Bell belonging to a timber tycoon from Pahang.

IPB Image

Another shot of the RV6. At that time a factory manufacturing RV6 kit parts for export was operating in Shah Alam and two aircraft including the one above were used as demonstrators.

More photographs covering other events coming soon.

Those are nice "historical" pics, Capt Attan.

Keep them coming...

& may I suggest that you scan all your photos before

they fading even more.. :lol:

And share them with us too :clapping:

Capt Attan,

Nice pictures. I think it is possible to restore the scans to its original condition, although it will take a lot of effort.

Is there any commercial scanning service? Like you, I have thousands of old photographs dating back from the eighties, all priceless in term of memories they help to remind. But as much as I wish to scan them, I don't have thr resources to do so.

Gentlemen,

Please scan them for the sake of the next generation!

Probably will cost a bit more for the initial restoration work but once it is digital it will last forever.

Not sure about the situation in KL but there should be some places providing scanning services.

You can also consider scanning from the negatives.

Capt Attan,

Nice pictures. I think it is possible to restore the scans to its original condition, although it will take a lot of effort.

Is there any commercial scanning service? Like you, I have thousands of old photographs dating back from the eighties, all priceless in term of memories they help to remind. But as much as I wish to scan them, I don't have thr resources to do so.

Hi Attan, thanks for sharing those priceless photos.

I am sure the kids there are grown up now and probably reading this thread too. :D

Keep them coming and I know it is not easy to scan and perform the adjustment.

The best way I think is to get your negatives/slides to E-Six at Pudu Plaza, KL where they have a powerful scanner. I haven't tried using them for negatives but for slides I think they are super. So far I have sent them slide films for processing and scanning and for 3 rolls they charge RM90 including the CD. The rate goes down as you increase the number of rolls. You can tell them what format you want the digital images to be stored in. For me I choose jpeg regular (about 2.5MB per pic) but you can ask for higher reso if you wish.

Sherman, they weren't my kids.

Benjamin, I think it was an Olympus P&S analog that I used for the above pics. I subsequently bought a Nikon F70 analog which I'm using until now.

Brendan, they were probably baggy pants popular amongst estate personnel. As for my pics, I have very few of them as most of the time I was behind the camera.

Wait for more pictures.

I recently bought a second hand Epson scanner for half price - it can scan 24 negatives at once, although it does take 1 minute for each frame. Scan quality is very good, although for much higher settings, files can be huge - so I scan all the pics to a size of 30cmx20cm, each pic about 2MB.

The thing is, I realized that after scanning the 2000-3000 or so negatives that I would like to scan, I have no more use for the scanner. So I convinced a friend to share the scanner, and I will have the scanner to keep me occupied during the winter this year, and he can have it from January onwards. So now I have a scanner for practically a quarter of the price. But i have to admit, it is a lot of work to scan everything in...

hi Capt. Attan, thanks for sharing with us. :) as mention by Seth, picture said thousand of words. :) also recall million of sweet memory which captured in the pix. :)

Thanks for the peek of aviation history Capt Attan. With film slowly give way to digital, such original faded prints will be gone in the future.... people will have to fake digital pictures to look old like using sepia etc.

I have thousands of pics from the 1980's too, but not many on aviation... only journalistic 'people photos' type. Some have faded slightly despite the best of storage conditions. I plan to buy a dedicated film / slide scanner like those from Nikon (Coolscan series) or KonicaMinolta which are advertised to deliver the best scans compared to flatbed scanners with film carriers. I think shops use such equipment to scan films. The cost is not the much, perhaps a couple of thousand ringgit will get an entry model. Saves a lot of money if one has plenty of pics to scan.

Always passby the jenderata airport when going to lumut for work... "Kelapa sawit" plantation... :p

-cheers-

Very nice things to share with... Thank you!

They sure serve to remind you of the fond memories in the past years. As you share your collection with us, chronogically, perhaps, my hope is to see some photos taken at the Penang Air Carnival in 2001. Thanks... :clapping:

Idham,

Yes, 9M-AWT is still the workhorse of United Plantations until today. They ferry their personnel and visitors to KL and back in it.

Azman, Rozhan,

A scanner is probably the only way to preserve old fotos. So it's really worth the money. In this tropical weather though, fungi and dirt get trapped under the glass plate and end up in your scanned images - what a sight! Have to service the scanner regularly as a result.

Ok, some history of the United Plantations C206 9M-AWT. It used to belong to the Royal Selangor Flying Club (RSFC) until the 1997 recession hit us. People could not afford to fly it anymore :( At the same time a leak developed in a fuel tank and the Club had no funds to repair it. So it was sold to United Plantations for a song and it's still going strong.

Now let's have some more pics but this time about a conference I attended in Goteborg regarding home cockpit construction. This was in 2004 and more than 50 people attended it, 80% of them above 50 years old. I guess those younger than 50 can't afford luxuries such as a cokpit in the house.

Before showing you the conference pictures, let me show you the en route photos:

IPB Image

Shot after arriving at Munich.

IPB Image

My steed from Munich to Goteborg - a CRJ 100. Sorry, the lens just couldn't get wider than that.

IPB Image

Somewhere along the German coastline en route to Goteborg.

IPB Image

Taken from my brother's house in Boras (60 km from Goteborg). Fog covered the ground on a spring morning.

IPB Image

A park in Boras.

IPB Image

Another view of the same park.

IPB Image

Yet another view of the park.

Hope I'm not out of topic here but coming up next are the Conference pics.

By the way, it would be really nice if Capt Radzi, LeeCH, TK and the others can also put up their training school photos here for us to look at history.

Classic photos Attan.........the plane is so small, even the pilot barely can get in :pardon:

Great shots of Germany, very beautiful scenery :good:

.........the plane is so small, even the pilot barely can get in :pardon:

Yes, Seth, it is indeed small but seemed to fly well and I enjoyed the quiet cabin. No overhead compartments, so pax had to leave the hand luggage on the cart before climbing the steps to the cabin. The baggage handler then loaded them into the cargo compartments of the aircraft.

To continue with my story after being out of the country for a while:

In Goteborg (or Gothenburg), a new aviation museum was started a few years back called the Aeroseum. This museum is located 200 metres underground and fortified to withstand a nuclear bombardment. No, it wasn't built to be a museum. In fact it was a nuclear-bomb-proof hangar and air base complex that was used during the cold war by the Swedish Air Force. At that time the USSR was perceived to be a threat to most of Europe. Now that the USSR does not exist anymore, they decided to bring their operations to the surface, declassify the air base (which is at Save) and donate it to the Aeroseum.

IPB Image

THE ENTRANCE TO THE MUSEUM

IPB Image

THE TUNNEL LEADS DOWN FROM THE ENTRANCE TO THE HANGARS AND BASE FACILITIES BELOW

IPB Image

THE ONE-METRE THICK WALLS AND FIRE-DOORS KEEP NUCLEAR EXPLOSIONS AND FALLOUT

FROM REACHING THE HANGARS AND FACILITIES BELOW

IPB Image

THE EMERGENCY EXIT FROM THE MUSEUM IS WELL HIDDEN

The next post will cover what's inside the museum.

Interesting story, Attan, about the Save AFB...

Guess, it was used to protect the Oresund and Kattegat between Sweden and Denmark ... B)

Captain Attan, nice pice even more than ten year!!!! During U taken the photo I even dont know much about the aviation !!!

The pics from Germany also very attrative !! Thanks for sharing!!! :good: :good: