MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
K Sam

CPL/IR conversion

Hi everyone, I’m new here.

I was browsing around the internet looking for some information regarding foreign CPL/IR conversion until I came across MWings.com. The moderators and forum members here are doing a fine job in keeping this forum happening and informative.

Well lets get to the point. I’m looking for information regarding the procedure to convert a foreign (Indonesian or Philippines) CPL/IR + Multi Engine rating into a Malaysian CPL/IR. While doing some research regarding the cost to obtain a CPL/IR from those countries mentioned, I was quite surprise to find that the fees is around 50% cheaper than doing it locally. I was told by a friend of mine that there are even some agents in the Klang Valley doing recruitments for flying schools in those countries.

Let say if I decide to do my CPL/IR + ATPL (frozen) in any of those countries mentioned, what should I do in order to convert my license into a Malaysian one? And, What are the costs involved?

the best way to obtain a malaysian licence would be to get it in one of the 3 places:

1.HMA

2.MFA

3.Asia pacific blah blah(can't remember it's name :p ) in kota bharu

Sam,

Be VERY VERY careful with agents giving sweet promises like flight training, licence conversion, and what not. We've seen plenty of cases where desperate students jumped in, paid a handsome amount of fee, and the so-called agent packed and left!!

If Adrian is reading this, he'd be able to give you some detailed info about this, since he's done a lot of research on it.

I agree with Simon - obtain a Malaysian flying licence with one of the local flying academies (what he listed plus LFTC). Conversions are not as easy as you imagine and they're often very costly.

Not sure about converting from Phillipines and Indonesian, but as far as I'm aware of, anything above Australian PPL is not accepted in Malaysia. Though I'm not really sure if it's the airlines or DCA. Do check.

The procedure from what i've read in DCA's "How to be a Pilot" guideline is, one with a foreign CPL may have to sit and pass all navigation papers and then attend 35 hours of flight training. Not that sure of whether the 35 hours in on a SE or TE. In terms of cost, for 1 hour on a SE will cost you around RM 500, for the TE it will be around RM 1,500 per hour. So by doing a simple math, it will easily cost you RM 30,000 - RM 50,000 for the whole conversion. Even if the cost is 50% cheaper as what you have said, when you add up the total it will come back to the same thing if you do it locally.

Sign in to follow this