MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Poowin Bunyavejchewin

Bangkok Suvarnabhumi VTBS/BKK

Now, 19 season in BKK.

weather : cloudy or overcast in mid day but very clear sky after 1500.

Edited by Prompong J.

I thought id add my experiences to spotting in Bangkok.

Make sure you spot outside the 2nd fence area. Bangkok has the normal perimiter fence followed by a second fenceline. It gets confusing as the main roads to and from the airport pass between the 2 fences. I got arrested twice spotting and photographing inside the fences, the second time about 7 police cars with the suited policemen interigated me for quite a while and they drove me back to where i was staying in Bangkok. I spoke with another spotter and he said stay outside the 2nd fence and they will leave you alone. There was a bridge over a river by the 01R end which was good for taking arrival photos but you do miss stuff landing on the other runways. Benefit of here is that its in a shaded spot and beleive me the Thai sun can get hot.

Bangkok would have some very decent spots to photograph from if it wasnt for the strict rules they apply to taking photos by the fences.

In BKK, normally not strict for take pictures if you stay outside airport fence.

Edited by Prompong J.

Hi Guys,

I have been following this thread since some time. I will be visiting Thailand (Bangkok & Phuket) in May 2010 along with the family.

I would be spending 3 days in BKK & 3 days in HKT. Since I have my wife and our 21 month old son with me, I cannot do any "hardcore" spotting, but I would still like to spend a couple of hours in each location.

Here are a few questions I have:

1) How is the weather in Thailand in May? (Sunny/Cloudy/Mixed)

2) What runway direction would be used for landings in BKK & HKT in May?

3) Is it possible to spot from the beach in HKT?

4) I understand that the hill next to the runway at HKT is good only in winters. Is there any other spot good for spotting at HKT?

5) Is it possible to hire a car (for sightseeing mainly) for the day and have the driver wait for you while you spot for a couple of hours?

Any tips on the above would be really welcome. It would be good to meet up with the local spotters in BKK & HKT.

Looking forward to this trip!

- Vivek

1) How is the weather in Thailand in May? (Sunny/Cloudy/Mixed)

HOT & sometime rain in late afternoon.

2) What runway direction would be used for landings in BKK & HKT in May?

Normally 19 in BKK, 27 (hill side) in HKT.

3) Is it possible to spot from the beach in HKT?

You can but be aware for patrol cos a sign "no photo" located nearby.

4) I understand that the hill next to the runway at HKT is good only in winters. Is there any other spot good for spotting at HKT?

TG restaurant in the terminal is very comfortable & safe.

5) Is it possible to hire a car (for sightseeing mainly) for the day and have the driver wait for you while you spot for a couple of hours?

No need to hire a car in BKK, you can go to spotting area by TAXI or others public transportation.

Any tips on the above would be really welcome. It would be good to meet up with the local spotters in BKK & HKT.

Pls ctc to Thailand spotters members before your arrived.

Prompong: Thanks for your very useful info as I'll go spotting in HKT in June.

One my friend spotter was in HKT in December '09 and thanks to Jeerapan of Thailand Spotters group he had spectacular shots. See the article on Vietnam Aviation Magazine together with our VN Spotters trip to KLIA in 2009

Vietnam Photo.net

BTW, I'll be in Chiang Mai on 10 to 14 April for spotting as well as enjoying the Songkran festival, do you have any recommendation on spotting locations and security? I intend to take photos from a pedestrian bridge overlooking RWY36 final approach.

Best regards,

Vu Loc

BTW, I'll be in Chiang Mai on 10 to 14 April for spotting as well as enjoying the Songkran festival, do you have any recommendation on spotting locations and security? I intend to take photos from a pedestrian bridge overlooking RWY36 final approach.

Security at CNX strictly than BKK, not reccommend you to go to the bridge at rwy36 approch alone.

Edited by Prompong J.

Bump, seems like no much updating in BKK. Is the riot situation still make it dangerous to visit BKK?

Hello everyone.

Sorry to restart an old topic again but I'll be in Bangkok from August 16 to 18 and am staying at the Queens Garden Resort so I can do some aircraft spotting. I'd like to know the following please.

1) Which runway direction is usually in use throughout August?

2) Is it possible to capture RWY01 departures from the Queens Garden Resort or are they too high up?

3) Are the Queens Garden Resort still accommodating to aircraft spotters? Will they still let you up on the roof or has that all changed?

4) Are there any other alternative spots that are good for photographing and watching the planes that are easily accessible and safe to spot at. I won't be hiring a car. The last thing I want is to end up getting in strife with the police and authorities!

Thanks a lot and I'm looking forward to spotting in Bangkok.

David...

1) Normally ops RWY 19 in AUG (19R for arr & 19L for dep)

2) Not sure about 01 from this hotel, but some spotters ever catch 01 dep from hotel roof before (with 70-300 or 100-400 )

3) pls tell a hotel reception : you are Plane lover, reccommend room 415 @ building 1, only hotel guest can access to the roof. ( ref : http://www.plane-spotting-hotels.com/Bangkok.htm )

4) For morning session this spot safest

Edited by Prompong J.

2) 01 is ok (200-300 mm), but only the real heavy aircraft. I had half a day 01L departures from Queens Garden but wasnt really happy with it.

3) Most of the times the roofterrace is open and you don't even have to ask for it. (One tip: Stay afway from the roof edges, stay near the door, I guess there are still some chairs around, and a little shadow :) )

Thank you very kindly for the info guys, much appreciated. :)

PS. Why you need to spot 01 ?

I was just wondering/working out what the best spotting options were just in case 01 was in use.

David...

Pls ctc to Thailand Spotters before you visit, they can solve your all question.

Edited by Prompong J.

Hi guys,

I Arrive in BKK on Aug 2 and I will spotting on Aug 6. If anyone of you (Thailand Spotters) at that time will be on the airport I would be very grateful for showing me some spotting location or tell me some location I can go by myself. I will saty at Hi - Residence Hotel.

rgds,

kanehoshi

Kanehoshi, pls chk yr message.

Hi Prompong J.

I already checked your message. Can you tell me where I can spotting from the morning and from my Hotel (Hi - Residence Hotel), can I go by bus to spotting location. Some Thai spotters spotting on 6 Aug 2011?

Thanks for your help !

Looking forward to your shots !!!

Glad your stay was enjoyable; will visit BKK next year June for MW's 7th Anniversary... :pardon:

Hope to meet Mr. Prompong & co there and then...

Great trip to BKK, Many thanks to Mr. Tek, Mr. Prompong J. and all Thai spotters support my trip at BKK !!!

Good shots for landing 19R in the morning untill 13h00 PM.

bkk_2.jpg

bkk_1.jpg

or if your guys not stay at Queen's Garden Resort, just go to the temple next to Queen's Garden Resort

bkk_4.jpg

How's to go:

- Taxi from the airport: about 200 bath

- Sky train from city to Lat Krabang staion: 35 bath (20 minutes) and then taxi to there about 40 bath

bkk_3.jpg

I've been in this hotel once in 2008, between transitting flight to Chiang Mai via Bangkok. All night I stayed out due to traffic passed by. :yahoo: By the way, it's good location and qiute easy to find online hotel book, or can request chauffeur to receive you upon arrival BKK.

Keep your shot going Mr. Kane

Hi guys

I just spent some time spotting at Bangkok and managed to get room 415 from the Queens Garden Hotel. What a great way to take photo's, i didnt need to leave my room. Unfortunately the sun moves over after lunch so then you will have to walk down the road a bit and find a spot as they land on 19R. Everyting is convienient, a seven 11 just down the road to get food and drinks, the girls at reception are fantastic. I will come here again for sure. Just remember in the dry season, arrivals are generally from the 01 end. Its not the most comfortable area to spot or take pics either. And beware of the security officers down there, they dont like people taking pics, im not sure why.