MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Poowin Bunyavejchewin

Bangkok Suvarnabhumi VTBS/BKK

Spotting isn't illegal in THAILAND but from AOT policy you cann't take photos without permission from AOT inside a/p area. That mean you can spot from outside a/p fence only. And before you visit pls inform us, maybe we can go to spot with you (surely safe) cos some places we cann't post to public (to avoid problems in the future).

THAILAND SPOTTERS page on JP.net

http://www.jetphotos.net/members/viewgroup.php?id=80

Spotting isn't illegal in THAILAND but from AOT policy you cann't take photos without permission from AOT inside a/p area. That mean you can spot from outside a/p fence only. And before you visit pls inform us, maybe we can go to spot with you (surely safe) cos some places we cann't post to public (to avoid problems in the future).

... but isn't the Thai Post spot outside the airport - I saw approach shots from this position?

I'm just planning our family holiday in Thailand - I expect to photograph one morning and one evening - or two mornings / two evenings in BKK depending on the available spots. I'll probably be in Bangkok from March 13 to 15 (16) 2010 . I planed to choose the day spontaneously - depending on the actual weather/smog situation ... but I'm sure we find a solution ;)

THAILAND SPOTTERS page on JP.net

http://www.jetphotos.net/members/viewgroup.php?id=80

Hi Prompong

I'm planing a short visit BKK in late November or early December, will inform you 2 weeks in advance. Hope to see you all guys there.

Regards from Vietnam

Hi guys,

.... one more thing: in November I'm in Hanoi on a businesstrip - any information about spotting in there?

Hi Jens

Already email you about spotting in VVNB.

... but isn't the Thai Post spot outside the airport - I saw approach shots from this position?

The post Office also located inside a/p perimeter, any approch shots you ever seen are from outside a/p (maybe over 400 meters)

Hi Prompong

I'm planing a short visit BKK in late November or early December, will inform you 2 weeks in advance. Hope to see you all guys there.

Regards from Vietnam

In late November or early December BKK almost ops rwy 01, what kind of picture do you want?

(for 320s : take off -> 300mm+ & approch -> 200-300mm)

Edited by Prompong J.

Thanks for the information guys! Really great - it's always a pleasure to be here on malaysianwings!

... as soon as I know exact dates I'll tell you when I'm in BKK. Is there any document / google map where the spotting locations are marked? (Just for planning and the hotel booking) I don't publish it on the internet or give it to others - I promise! It's only to check how to get to the spotting location and be variable depending on the actual weather conditions when I'm in BKK. That would be quite nice!

Edited by Jens Breuer

If you want to stay near the airport I found 2 hotels near 19R approch (for morning)

Queen's Garden Resort (19R approch)

I reccommend you to stay in bldg.1, 4th fl. Pls mention at front office that you are plane lover, maybe they can give you a room in the best side to see any 19R approch (no.415 is the best)

www.queensgardenresort.net

Convenient Resort (19R approch & 01L take off)

www.convenientresort.com

At both hotels you can spot from your room's windows in low price.

Hi Jens!

I found for my last spottingtrip March 2009 via planespottinghotels.com this hotel "Queen's Garden Resort"

Link: http://www.plane-spotting-hotels.com/Bangkok.htm or Prompong J.' last post. You can spotting on the roof area (sunrise to 13:00 pm).

img8751.jpg

img8619.jpg

img8607.jpg

I'm going to next next year in March to Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore and Bangkok for holiday/planespotting! Sorry for my english!

regards

F. Barella

Thailand Spotters & Mr.Quack @ Queen's Garden Resort roof top on May 2008 (19R morning approch).

post-1938-125487155983_thumb.jpg

Edited by Prompong J.

Prompong, the guy on the right with a towel on the head is Kwek from Singapore? :D

That looks really great! Are takeoffs from this runway at this position quite high?

The question is - is it possible to get on the roof of the hotel witout problems? ... perhaps although you are not guest in the hotel? The position looks quite nice =)

What about an evening position for spotting?

Edited by Jens Breuer

Prompong, the guy on the right with a towel on the head is Kwek from Singapore? :D

Yeah, That's him.

Hi Prompong..

Still with THAI??

Kwek is so afraid of the sun...must have towel...

Yeah, I still with THAI. And I think so with you about Mr.Quack.

Edited by Prompong J.

That looks really great! Are takeoffs from this runway at this position quite high?

The question is - is it possible to get on the roof of the hotel witout problems? ... perhaps although you are not guest in the hotel? The position looks quite nice =)

What about an evening position for spotting?

This location (hotel's roof) only served for hotel's guest. But if you are not a hotel's guest, we have other place nearby for spot 19R approch (Not reccommend this spot for take off, too high). For the afternoon after we have lunch at good Chinese restaurant nearby we will go to other side, B) that you can see this spot when you land on 19R. Let's see on your right hand, this spot will appear in few seconds before your touchdown (located along the canal beside a/p)

Edited by Prompong J.

You expect mainly Rwy 19 in March - that's right? What about the traffic on the runways - is there one for landings and one for starts or is it mixed? (some airlines always on a special rwy?)

... one important question for me is the decision which lens I will bring to BKK - would you prefer a 70-200mm or a 100-400mm lens (on an 1,6 crop)

Thanks a lot for the information - but more is always appreciated ;)

During that time best change for RWY 19R/19L use. I spend a couple of days on Queens Garden Resort for spotting in February this year. Most traffic using 19R. Some traffic use 19L. Traffic on 19L is mainly domestic, so BK Airways, Air Asia, Thai Airways. Other airlines on 19L is rare. But sometimes BK Airways and Air Asia also use 19R, Thai International flights do use 19R most of the times.

Scroll trough my old topic: http://www.malaysianwings.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=11795

Here you see some examples of BKK spotting. Don't mind the bad quality due to a little fog in early morning and wrong used camera settings :(

Thanks Cornelis - that are awesome information ;)

... what a great trip Cornelis - It think this was really a nice adventure. With quite few time for real spotting to my mind .... but that my personal opinion :drinks:

Genau! But my main goal was to get the last 3 Finnair MD11 as passenger wich I succeeded :yahoo:

I visited BKK / HKT / USM / JFK before so had most common traffic already :)

As I had a few days in NY I decided to get DC9 fligth as well :) So really was an amazing trip and really worth spending every euro!

Keep a close look to my latest reports being posted the upcomming days ! See signature below for the airports ;)

Cheers!

We are just planning the trip and it looks like we'll have the hotel in the city center. So I'll have to move out to the airport in the morning and can't spot from the roof of the Queens Garden ressort. Just searched the internet regarding the connections from city center to airport and only found the information about the "Suvarnabhumi Airport Link". Is this railway already operational or will it be when I visit BKK in March? It would be a great help to get out to the airport and little time.

Once again the question regarding the lens at the 19 spotting location(s): how many mm focal length I need for landing shots?

Thanks again!

Jens

Edited by Jens Breuer

Once again the question regarding the lens at the 19 spotting location(s): how many mm focal length I need for landing shots?

Thanks again!

Jens

70-200, 70-300, 100-400, 50-500 as your selection for BKK 19R landing (normally we use 70-300)

I've got a 70-200 and a 100-400 ... do I have problems with small airplanes with 200mm (I ask because I have to decide which lens I take to Thailand - the 70-200 is quite light and the 100-400 is heavy but very versatile ..) I have to take the lens 2 weeks in my backpack and every kg I do not need is a good kg =)

When 19R (mostly in March) approch shot 70-200 is enough for typical spotting style.

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6669795

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6669069

But for 01L (Rare in March) take off shot you may need 100-400 (or 70-300).

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6668733

Edited by Prompong J.

Soon it is March and so I'll leave Germany heading to BKK next friday (March 5th) ... I'm looking forward to a really fascinating holiday discovering the north of Thailand and later relaxing near Phuket airport ;)

Spotting at BKK I have planned on March 13th or 14th - depending on the weather and/or possible local fellow spotters. I would be quite glad if somebody would join me for some hours of great spotting at BKK! Just feel free to contact me!

Cheers,

Jens