MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Adrian M

Engine startup for 734

Strolling down youtube avenue and saw this vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZwh5kLPCas

I wonder if this is a normal scene on 734 startup. I would freak out if I was onboard a 734 and saw this kind of startup. *Think N330AA*

Never think that modern turbine jet engine still have smoky startup resemblence to DC-3 and DHC-4.

cool... I wonder if aircrafts needed a key as security prior to startup.

Anyway..I am looking for aircraft engine test videos where the engineers purposely remove a fin while the engine is running...If u know any links pls post..thanks :)

Edited by LWwong

cool... I wonder if aircrafts needed a key as security prior to startup.

Anyway..I am looking for aircraft engine test videos where the engineers purposely remove a fin while the engine is running...If u know any links pls post..thanks :)

you'll see that in Discovery Channel's : Giant of the Sky A380 series. try search for BT :)

you'll see that in Discovery Channel's : Giant of the Sky A380 series. try search for BT :)

thanks, but I watched all 3 series already. I want to have a look at other engine test clips :)

Never think that modern turbine jet engine still have smoky startup resemblence to DC-3 and DHC-4.

When the weather is cold enough, you can have some smoky start-ups, even for jet aircraft; see this picture I took on 20apr06 at AMS:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/ph-...l20apr06060.jpg

Why the Braathens 737 is really 'spitting' large flames is unknown to me; maybe captain Radzi can explain ? :huh:

I read about this on A.net a while ago. It seems that this happens when a brand new engine is started up for the first time. The fire is caused when the protective coating inside the engine is burnt off (or something like that).

Here's the link: http://www.airliners.net/discussions/gener...95/6/#ID2841995

Would be pretty cool flying in a 737 with afterburner? :pardon:

Unburned fuel left over during shut down and may burn at start up. Although doesn’t happen often but is safe.

At LHR a few years ago, a MH744 had ‘engine fire’ at push back. A passenger panics, opened the door, jumped down and injured himself.

Hey! Thank for the video link! Now I know fire at engine startup is normal, or else I'd have freak out should I see one in the future as a passenger... :p

This video

... Is it a student pilot flying? Doesn't seem like a smooth flight/approach... Edited by Teoh Z Yao

Hey! Thank for the video link! Now I know fire at engine startup is normal, or else I'd have freak out should I see one in the future as a passenger... :p

This video

... Is it a student pilot flying? Doesn't seem like a smooth flight/approach...

I seen that video too! :lol: It is a trainee that flying the 737. Really off center. But as usual...new comer ^^ everyone will experience that but the UK Captain seem really strict!

Read this I just found this out:

http://gassundertrykk.com/movie/index.html

Ohh if you interested to see another similar clips with B735 in it and the engine nacelle is open, download the clip from the link in the page.

Edited by Adrian M

that is an engine tailpipe fire..under normal circumstances it is absolutely trivial..thought the crew would have to advise the cabin because it freaks the pax out!usually the crew will have to be informed of the tailpipe fire by either the ATC,GRD crew or the cabin crew..because there is little or no indication of it in the flight deck..we have a non-normal checklist for engine tailpipe fire..which involves motoring the engine until the fire stops.

I seen that video too! :lol: It is a trainee that flying the 737. Really off center. But as usual...new comer ^^ everyone will experience that but the UK Captain seem really strict!

not really 'that' off center imho..i've done worse..LOLZ..especially with the last 100' with one-eng inop with x-wind of 15kt!

Welcome to MW Simon, we have two Simon :D

Looks like you pretty expert, a pilot? An your ID 727, and you not happen to fly the 3 holers :)

Edited by Seth K

hi seth K..yes,on the B734.

it wasn't until just now that i realized my ID number is 727... :p just got lucky i guess..

the 727 is a beauty..up on par with the jumbo jet and the concorde!

hi seth K..yes,on the B734.

it wasn't until just now that i realized my ID number is 727... :p just got lucky i guess..

the 727 is a beauty..up on par with the jumbo jet and the concorde!

Hi Simon,

Welcome to MW. Do you fly for MH or AA? We are getting more and more pilots around.

that is an engine tailpipe fire..under normal circumstances it is absolutely trivial..thought the crew would have to advise the cabin because it freaks the pax out!usually the crew will have to be informed of the tailpipe fire by either the ATC,GRD crew or the cabin crew..because there is little or no indication of it in the flight deck..we have a non-normal checklist for engine tailpipe fire..which involves motoring the engine until the fire stops.

not really 'that' off center imho..i've done worse..LOLZ..especially with the last 100' with one-eng inop with x-wind of 15kt!

Welcome aboard MW Simon. :)

Great technical explanation from MH pilot perpective. LOL You guys need a side mirror :rofl: Joking. What was on the checklist?

"last 100' with one-eng inop with x-wind of 15kt!" is darn hard! It's hard to imagine what will happened if added with bad weather and nighttime. :o

You didn't sleep last night? Saw you seen 1 am. :lol:

Edited by Adrian M

yeah..it is hard...simulator training was the worst nightmare of my whole life! :o but those are typical conditions for our 6-monthly base check..initial C of T would be a lot easier for cadets though..

Another expert onboard! :yahoo: Welcome, Simon.

Have seen very smoky start-ups here in Sydney too. Lucky not black smoke, though.

Come on! I know you're being humble, Simon. :) Expert in its own field we're talking about here. Everyone in MW has their own expertise - just look at the different forums. Everyone's welcome to voice opinions, raise questions and provide answers. :clapping: Join the club :drinks:

yeah..it is hard...simulator training was the worst nightmare of my whole life! :o but those are typical conditions for our 6-monthly base check..initial C of T would be a lot easier for cadets though..

Worst NIGHTMARE??? :blink: i've only been in a sim once and it was the second best thing that happened to me this school year!!!?? :good: :D

Sign in to follow this