MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Shaun Lo

Cockpit Visits

Hi all,

It is pretty obvious that cockpit visits will be granted on a case to case basis and after 9/11, I think most airline has introduced stricter rules concerning this. I have a few specific questions about cockpit visits.

I will be travelling on CX next week to JFK via HKG. I would like to know how, generally, CX treat cockpit visit request from a passenger?

I would usually think the request should be made through a flight attendant before the flight takes off. Is there any other ways for these sort of request can be made. e.g during check in ... etc ??

Lastly, for those of you who have had the chance to vist a cockpit, please share with me (or us) what was your approach to converyingthat request. I wanna get some tips and tricks ... smile.gif

Thanks for your replies ....

Hi all,

It is pretty obvious that cockpit visits will be granted on a case to case basis and after 9/11, I think most airline has introduced stricter rules concerning this. I have a few specific questions about cockpit visits.

I will be travelling on CX next week to JFK via HKG. I would like to know how, generally, CX treat cockpit visit request from a passenger?

I would usually think the request should be made through a flight attendant before the flight takes off. Is there any other ways for these sort of request can be made. e.g during check in ... etc ??

Lastly, for those of you who have had the chance to vist a cockpit, please share with me (or us) what was your approach to converyingthat request. I wanna get some tips and tricks ... smile.gif

Thanks for your replies ....

4028[/snapback]

Well Shaun...it's not very easy. My Post 9-11 cockpit experiences (minus the 773ER and 772LR ones) were on Air Asia, on my flights from KUL-KCH, and KCH-KUL. What i did was position myself in the first few rows of the cabin, then I would wait until ALL the other passengers disembarked the aircraft before asking the flight attendants. They've responded positively to my requests and hence, i was allowed into the cockpit.

I've heard some positive comments regarding the CX staff's attitudes towards pre-flight and post-flight cockpit visits...however luck plays a large part in this scenario.

Good Luck mate! biggrin.gif

For my post 9-11 cockpit experiences . AK flight to penang . i was allowed to visit the cockpit inflight itself

4032[/snapback]

gavin, got picture or not? upload laaa friend.......

Shot was at night bro . erm . it looked good , but not through my camera lense smile.gif

4038[/snapback]

Gavin,

Were you shocked at the lack of 'screens'?

The only screens i could find in the WHOLE COCKPIT were those on the FMS'! Nontheless...the classic cockpits are beautiful!

737 classic comes with 3 different flightdeck configs. Fully Analogue, EFIS + electronic engine instruments (such as MHs) and EFIS with analogue engine instruments. I believe AK/FD operate 733's with all 3 different configs to be found amongst them!

Best time to ask is just as your getting off, or inflight ask if you can once the a/c is shutdown and most pax are joining customs queues. Most airlines allow it, but only if a/c is on the gate. AK is one exception to this.

Guest Fendy

post 9-11 experience, MH744 on ground in Cape Town. everyone deplaned except me and my friends, FAs accomodated us. i took a shot of the cabin and he asked if i would like to take some in the cockpit. smile.gif

user posted image

Mine was on MAS F50. I politely ask the stewardess and they passed the message to the captain. The rest is history smile.gif

Also manage to visit one of MAS Triple 7 cockpit. Superb aircraft from Boeing blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif

Azahan when is the tour to Subang Hangar?? dry.gif

Thanks alot for the info guys ...

Looks like I have a chnace if i ask ... smile.gif

We'll see what happens ...

I will post photos when i get back ..

A flight deck visit after flight shoud't be a problem. On MH B734s just listen out to the captain's name..............

I sure would like to request for a visit on my next home trip. I still have not decided whether to fly out of HKG on MH or out of Shenzhen on ZH. If I fly MH, Radzi do you think you can help me "inform" the captain of the flight?

If I fly MH, Radzi do you think you can help me "inform" the captain of the flight?

4187[/snapback]

No, you have to ask yourself. You tell your intention to the cabin crew, and don't forget to introduce yourself by showing some ID or business card.

I got a in-flight visit approval when I was VERY young (Read: 12 yrs old I think) when I was traveling to Taipei onboard China Airline CI672 A300 from Singapore.

I basically asked the F/A, she said she can pass the message but no guarantee. I went back to seat and next thing I know, the F/A come around and lead me to the cockpit. I was too excited to greet the captain properly. I remembered I mumbled something of that sort and noticed the central display has a huge red spot. The captain seems busy with that so I asked what's that red patch on the screen. He briefly told me that represents the typhoon going through philipine that time and he was plotting course correction to avoid the typhoon. I think he was worried that I will go back and tell everyone about the storm thereby creating unnecessary fear among pessanger so he quickly send me out.

Short visit, but surely a trip I will never forget.

Ben-g

my last inflight cockpit visit in year 2000. PEN-KUL. T7 romeo india. jumpseat from pushback right until disembarkation at KUL. TK's sector. fun! I smoked a lot inside there. hehe.

hang on guys,

i am waiting green light from my hangar buddies. bit tricky when more visitors involved. thank you for your patience.

my last inflight cockpit visit in year 2000. PEN-KUL. T7 romeo india. jumpseat from pushback right until disembarkation at KUL. TK's sector. fun! I smoked a lot inside there. hehe.

hang on guys,

i am waiting green light from my hangar buddies. bit tricky when more visitors involved. thank you for your patience.

4254[/snapback]

Azahan...fetch me to spot ler..i lived near Ampang Point... huh.gif

I visitted cockpit when i was very very small ..just about 6 years old...it happened when i was travelling with my family to Australia..which airline..which aircraft..i totally forgot about that..so sorry...and this why i am and i was aspiring to become a pilot...The C/A came and asked some children including me whether wanna vist the cockpit or not..and that time my dad agreed. and i just follow her...then we queue up before entering the cockpit...then afterwards i went in for 5 mins only and the pilots are friendly....I will NEVER forget it...Thanks to the Pilots and C/As

Hey, I also got to visit cockpit once, in-flight. That was the JB - PEN sector on MH734. It wasn't Radzi, I remember. What happened was, I asked the f/a right after being greeted welcome onboard. She forgot; then I asked in-flight. She took "my" boarding pass, which was in fact my mom's pass. Another f/a came back in five minutes, stood few feet from my seat and called out "Mdm. ***, the captain has approved you for a cockpit visit." I guess the f/a must have felt funny for a madam to visit the cockpit. I did, I almost burst into laughters! "My mom visits the cockpit?!"

Then actually my cousin brother's daughter went with me into the cockpit. Fabulous! Every aviation enthusiast's dream... Chat with the crews; very friendly. It was above KL when we entered. KLCC was below. I think we chat too much, and it was time for approach. So the captain offered a seat in the cockpit for the landing. I go "is that possible?" Trying to be polite and foolish, how I hoped so much to sit there and witness touchdown!

Before downwind for Rwy 22 WMKP, the crews were warned of fighter jets some where ahead above Butterworth. I overheard that, acually. On downwind, the two crews suddenly lean forward and eyes wide open looking outside. There were some Hornets flying around! The F/O even pointed at them and said to me "see some fighter jets." Huh! He didn't pay attention on approach...

Soon, a broad dark line appeared in front of me. Two sets of lights appeared on both sides of the runway. Two red-two white, the crew reported "MH 1580 steady on glide path." And the plane glided down smoothly as the broad dark line got nearer and nearer us... Spectacular sight!

At the gate, engine-off sequence was done so quickly that I couldn't follow the sequence. Then the captain turned towards me and asked "so, who are you? You seem to know a lot about aviation?" What else but the knowledge of a mere aviation enthusiasts I told him... He actually told me he had been flying for over 22 years.

For my cousin's daughter, she enjoyed the visit as well! She even wrote an account of the visit, which I have not read, unfortunately.

But, the visit was five years ago... sad.gif