MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Ibrahim

Light Aircraft Lands On Highway

Light Aircraft Lands On Highway, Causes Massive Traffic Jam

KUALA LUMPUR, July 15 (Bernama) -- A light aircraft made an emergency landing on the Kuala Lumpur-Seremban Highway, bringing traffic on the busy stretch adjacent to the Sungai Besi Air Force station to a standstill Saturday.

The yellow-coloured private experimental aircraft was descending on the runway when a strong gust of wind blew the 500kg two-seater, single-prop aircraft onto the busy highway at 3.26pm.

The aircraft then hit a lamp post and landed on the road before coming to screeching halt, a Royal Selangor Flying Club spokesman told Bernama.

He said the pilot and co-pilot were not injured in the incident.

The spokesman said the Civil Defence Department and Royal Malaysian Air Force rescue team cleared the aircraft from the road with police assistance.

A crane was used to lift the aircraft, believed to be privately owned, into the air station.

The spokesman said the aircraft was not owned by the Royal Selangor Flying Club or the airforce.

Traffic movement returned to normal at about 4.30pm when the road was cleared of the aircraft.

It is learnt the Department of Civil Aviation will conduct an investigation into the incident.

-- BERNAMA

If I am not Mistaken.. it Piper Tripacer 9M-EEL

IPB Image

*Image Capture By Capt.Attan

Yes, its 9M-EEL. I saw the video on TV3 news just now. I guess its the first time a plane landed on a Highway in Malaysia. I had imagined such a landing while driving on a highway, but never expected it to happen.

Edited by LWwong

I also wacth the Buletin, how come the aircraft landed at highway because the TUDM airport are just opposite the hinghway!!!!!

Strong wind veered him off the runway.

Yes, its 9M-EEL. I saw the video on TV3 news just now. I guess its the first time a plane landed on a Highway in Malaysia. I had imagined such a landing while driving on a highway, but never expected it to happen.

Not exactly the first time . If I remember correctly many years ago, maybe during in the late 80's or early 90s, a police cessna airplane actually made a forced landing on a North-South highway and crashed into moving car while attempting to land. Unfortunately there's fatalities in this incident. I believed its one of the car occupants. :sorry:

IMHO this is NOT a Piper PA-22 Tri-pacer, but some sort of homebuilt (?)

PIlots aboard were Lee Chong Yen and "Atan Akmar"... is this our dear friend?! (Source: Thestar.com.my)

Aircraft is a Zenith CH701 belonging to the RSFC..

Thankfully the pilots and ppl on the ground are all ok!

PIlots aboard were Lee Chong Yen and "Atan Akmar"... is this our dear friend?! (Source: Thestar.com.my)

Aircraft is a Zenith CH701 belonging to the RSFC..

Thankfully the pilots and ppl on the ground are all ok!

Attan Akmar? is is the same attan akmar that is famous in cyberspace for aviation stuff..?

one question is it Atan or Attan (in MW)???

"Atan Akmar"... is this our dear friend?! (Source: Thestar.com.my)

Realy Ahh~!!!! :blink: :blink: glad everything allright.

Yeah Our Friends Here... Capt. Attan.

Btw. Sorry Pieter it My Bad... That Plane is 2005 Zenith Aircraft CH-701

Just called Capt Attan. He was a passenger on that 2 seater plane. He's alright just stiff neck. And he thanks everyone for concerning him.

Just called Capt Attan. He was a passenger on that 2 seater plane. He's alright just stiff neck. And he thanks everyone for concerning him.

Glad Capt Attan is okay! :phew:

Glad to hear this!!!! :drinks:

Man, what a small world :)

Strong wind veered him off the runway.

Not exactly the first time . If I remember correctly many years ago, maybe during in the late 80's or early 90s, a police cessna airplane actually made a forced landing on a North-South highway and crashed into moving car while attempting to land. Unfortunately there's fatalities in this incident. I believed its one of the car occupants. :sorry:

One of the occupants and all onboard the Cessna Caravan... :(

Another incident was a Cessna 172 (also from RSFC) landed on North-South Highway

Can't remember when. The pilot and pax were Germans, rented the aircraft to tour

the Peninsular and developed mechanical problems somewhere near Tanjung Malim

and decided to do an emergency landing on the North-South Highway.

BTW... Thanks God, Attan and his friend survived the landing. SMSed him this morning

and he's ok... :D

kudos to both pilot dealing the situation calmly ... :D

Aircraft makes emergency landing on highway

KUALA LUMPUR: It wasn't the usual jam-causing mishap that motorists saw at the Kuala Lumpur-Seremban Highway.

A light aircraft made an emergency landing on the highway and brought peak hour traffic to a standstill for over an hour.

Pilots Lee Chong Yen, 69, and Atan Akmar Masbah, in his 50s, escaped the crash landing on the road adjacent to the Sungei Besi Air Force without injuries.

Their CH-701 two-seater aircraft was, however, wrecked in the 3.30pm incident.

The yellow-coloured privately-owned aircraft was descending onto the runway when a strong gust of wind blew the 500kg single-prop aircraft onto the busy highway.

It hit a lamp post and landed on the road before coming to a screeching halt, according to a Royal Selangor Flying Club spokesman.

The spokesman said the Civil Defence Department and Royal Malaysian Air Force rescue team cleared the aircraft from the road with police assistance.

Traffic movement returned to normal about an hour later.

Extremely happy to hear both occupants survived without too serious injuries :)

Actually, met 'Mr. Wiseman' and his wife, during the MW 1st anniversary spotting-weekend and we shared some fine moments: please, recuperate fast and do take care !!!

No doubt, sooner or later, we'll see a 'trip-report' here ?