MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Seng Lim

Air NZ suspending operations to Singapore.

Here's the press released by Air NZ issued on today:

http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/aboutus/med...ute_changes.htm

Effective 2 Oct 2006, Air NZ will withdrawn their daily AKL-SIN B772 flights.

Thus for those of you looking forward for special Air NZ airfares to AKL this coming MATTA Fair on 22 Sep, sorry mate, it's over. :sorry:

Thanks for the info !!!

Guess, they're pushed out of the SIN market by QF ?

Have to make a quick trip to LHR in order to be able to see the ANZ 747-400's :o

Thanks for the info !!!

Have to make a quick trip to LHR in order to be able to see the ANZ 747-400's :o

Pushed out by SQ perhaps.

At first it seems hard to believe that a key route between major Star Alliance hubs like AKL-SIN could not make money let alone a 'backwater' city like KUL. Anyhow, in this global alliance era it makes sense for any non-profitable route to be operated by an alliance partner airline. In the case of AKL-SIN, SQ clearly has an advantage in operating this route because the connection opportunities they offer from their SIN hub compared to NZ's feed in AKL.

Imagine reading a headline someday... QF to suspend SIN :lol:

At first it seems hard to believe that a key route between major Star Alliance hubs like AKL-SIN could not make money let alone a 'backwater' city like KUL. Anyhow, in this global alliance era it makes sense for any non-profitable route to be operated by an alliance partner airline. In the case of AKL-SIN, SQ clearly has an advantage in operating this route because the connection opportunities they offer from their SIN hub compared to NZ's feed in AKL.

I think the only reason that make ANZ suspending would be the codeshare agreement.

That would be quite a headline if it does happens.

The Main Reason was Pax Load.In the News Paper this Morning, One of the AirNZ spokesman said that there were only around 40 passengers on the plane from AKL to SIN and only 80 on Return.That's a really low load.They said they are concentrating more on North Asia like Shanghai .

Edited by Raj

The Main Reason was Pax Load.In the News Paper this Morning, One of the AirNZ spokesman said that there were only around 40 passengers on the plane from AKL to SIN and only 80 on Return.That's a really low load.They said they are concentrating more on North Asia like Shanghai .

If so, the changing of B767 to B777 service seems an action as promotion to attract more PAX?

If so, the changing of B767 to B777 service seems an action as promotion to attract more PAX?

Yeap, I guess it was Sneeze.The T7 are alot better than the 767's.The T7 got the New Business class seats as well as better Economy class and if i'm not mitsken it's called pacific class.T7 got PTV's, seats got a bit more room.Unfortunantelly pax load not good.But they still can codeshare the SIN-AKL-SIN flight with SQ.

hahaha... nice one. let SIN feel the impact of what KUL is so used to!

looking at it from another perspective...it looks like KUL may not be on the cards...now that SIN is off the route network. not good news at all.

they used to have once weekly CHC-AKL-SIN-KUL B767 services but that didn't last very long at all.

KUL seems to have stagnated this year with no new carriers... (major one, let me add).

what the hell is MAHB doing?? BKK seems to be a magnet for new carriers..... KUL would only be the hub of LCC flights if we're not careful.

Air asia even..

Doesn't that somehow demonstrated to us that the services provided by Air NZ is no match for SQ?

Pieter, QF is not a threat to Air NZ for the AKL-SIN route, as QF does not have AKL-SIN direct. The threat for Air NZ has to be SQ with 2-3 flights daily. I heard from my friends who frequently travel on that route, they said, if you want good level of service fly SQ. If you want space or sleep flat in economy class fly Air NZ. Seats are empty and you can pull up the armrests and lie flat on the seats. :D

Air NZ passengers still can fly to SIN with SQ and Star Alliance, not the end of the world really.

Edited by S V Choong

It is indeed sad to see Air NZ' absence at an airport near us.

However, I think with the 40 to 80 odd pax in the aircraft which

can accommodate 6 times more pax simply justifies everything.

Also, EK and SQ are probably their biggest competitors but

it also depends, maybe there aren't any people going to SIN ?

OS for example, flies SYD-KUL-VIE and vv with NZ code sharing

on that flight. I believe it could be the same for OS' SIN stopover

as well.

All in, I still hope Air NZ will fly into KUL once again in the near future.

Good for SIN :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

All in, I still hope Air NZ will fly into KUL once again in the near future.

Kandiah, This might happen in the Near Future.As currently MAS flies only 5x a week to KUL and they Might even Reduce it to 3x or 4x a week.So never know, Maybe during peak period Air NZ might fly once or twice a week to KUL.Since MH will only be flying 3 or 4 times a week.

Keith, come to me, come to me :clapping:

:D :D :D :D :D :rofl:

I'm actually there for a week from tomorrow.

Staying at the Le Meridien Cyberport, south side of HK Island I believe.

YGPM

I'm actually there for a week from tomorrow.

Staying at the Le Meridien Cyberport, south side of HK Island I believe.

YGPM

Keith, just noticed you have posted also here.

Well, very glad to hear from you that you are going to stay in HKG for a week. Therefore I have got no problem for the time arrangement to get a chance to meet you up here.

Since I will have an exam on 18th noon time and a conference with the railway company of HongKong, I am able first to have a short meeting with you on 18/ Jul, as my campus is located in Admarity, Hong Kong Island, I am able to reach your hotel or the place where you will going to be. And for the spotting, sure I can bring you to be the other delicious lobster. However, ummmmmm, see if you are lucky, cause affected by the tropical storm over Taiwan, Hong Kong is now a bit hazy and forecasted the following 7 days will be rainy. No matter what, I will be free from 19/ Jul onwards, let me know any updates of your plan here or by the PM.

Thanks for the info !!!

No worried ... Pieter ....

B744 will operate AKL/HKG/LHR at the end of Oct but AKL/LAX/LHR will operate B777 which will the be the new aircraft appear at LHR

IZANEE: hahaha... nice one. let SIN feel the impact of what KUL is so used to!

Actually, there is a long list of airlines that have quit SIN . . . Balkan, Olympic, Alitalia, MAI, Czechoslovak AL, Cebu Pacific, Air Madagascar etc etc etc . . . so the "feeling" of losing an airline is neither nice nor new at all. I am sure there will be more to come, just as there will be other airlines starting operations in SIN.

I don't think there is an airport in the region that has only seen additional airlines without losing a single one.

Air NZ for too many years failed to realise that when it kept operating those ancient B767s when SIA was competing with B744s and B772, passengers were switching to the airline that offers the better product. Even when Air NZ introduced the B772ER, all it did was display the seats at the Suntec City Mall in a manner that seems like it was selling Osim massage chairs and not showcasing an airline's premium product.

Compare this with Air France when it decided to launch its L' Espace product . . . it rented a Presidential Suite in a top hotel and invited the media and the trade to view the seats and its amenities in the beautiful surroundings afforded by the suite. That is class!!

Since Air NZ's introduction of the B772ER, I have seen very very little sign of marketing . . . and this is an aviation enthusiast and media person on the look-out for it!!! Imagine what impact (or lack of it) this has on the consumer. Air NZ has effectively abandoned the SE Asian market - if they cannot get the desired yield from SIN, I don't think they could from any other SE Asian market.

It always amazes me that airlines launch new service and products without ever promoting themselves . . . and then say, it does not work. This is the case with Scandinavian Airlines . . . I've never seen any promotion done by this airline until just about a month before it quit Singapore, it launched a display at Changi Airport showcasing its seats!!! Did I miss something here? Promoting the product that is about to be withdrawn from the market is a complete waste of resources and the clearest indicator of a doomed operation.

KC Sim

You mean SAS does not fly into SIN anymore?

I thought they do...

SAS quit its Singapore route a few months ago. :(

Eventually, SIN will be another KUL

Yeah, right....

If SIN became KUL what's going to happen to KUL? KUL will be another BKI/KCH? :D

Edited by S V Choong