MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Sandeep G

MH124 PER-KUL Returns to PER

........, the aircraft lost altitude over Iran totalling to almost a few hundred feet due to the shut down of one of the generators on board........

4195[/snapback]

Errrrr... how ah? Electric jet ah?

With some of today's gadgets combining the functions of a mobile phone, camera, radio, MP3 player, organizer etc., there could be people who want to use a function other than the phone, without realizing that the gadget is transmitting signals that could endanger the aircraft.

In the early days of mobile phones in Malaysia, the FA used to retain the batteries of the phone upon boarding, and returned them when a passenger disembarks. But those days, only a few had the luxury of mobiles. Nowadays, almost everyone has one and it is rather difficult to retain everybody's batteries.

Rozhan, not only the batteries but the antennas too. I remember my father carried his gigantic Ericsson Hotline phone onboard to the East/West during the 1980s to early 90s, he had to submit his antenna and sometimes the batteries to the crew.

Just wondering if digital camera will have an effect on the electronics too, as I like taking take off and landing photos?

Just wondering if digital camera will have an effect on the electronics too, as I like taking take off and landing photos?

4213[/snapback]

I think the concern with having digicams on takeoff and landing is the possibility of it hurtling out of your hand should the takeoff run be aborted and hitting someone with the force of a 20kg object. huh.gif blink.gif

I refer to this discussion:-

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/gener...d.main/2111617/

I was browsing through the KLIA website and noticed that there is a flight arriving from PER on MH124D at 1440 hours which is delayed. Is this perhaps the aircraft that was grounded in PER ?

tongue.gif

Errrrr...  how ah?  Electric jet ah?

4198[/snapback]

Not too sure bout that capt radzi..well as u know i am not flying yet..so..it seems from what i heard it was about the fuel pumps being affected by what happened..or something like that..it was a little more complicated then juz the shut down of a generator but i dont have the complete details..

mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

OK OK! I WONT USE MY CELLPHONE ON THE AIRCRAFT ANYMORE!!

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Btw Liam....what does the fact that I'm young have to do with the usage of Mobile Phones in aircrafts? huh.gif

mad.gif  mad.gif  mad.gif

OK OK! I WONT USE MY CELLPHONE ON THE AIRCRAFT ANYMORE!!

laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

4249[/snapback]

HEH HEH HEH..... Now sudah repent..... promise ah never to do it again.

And also DO NOT use the phone while refueling guys, there has been cases of car just burst to flame while refueling at the petrol station.

HEH HEH HEH.....  Now sudah repent..... promise ah never to do it again.

And also DO NOT use the phone while refueling guys, there has been cases of car just burst to flame while refueling at the petrol station.

4265[/snapback]

I promise...but what if the life raft inflates whilst the aircraft is still at the gate, and i'm a passenger on that particular flight...then can i sms the details?

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

HEH HEH HEH.....  Now sudah repent..... promise ah never to do it again.

4265[/snapback]

that refueling one isn't true la ... its been proven by scientists and engineers that handphones cannot cause a fire at a petrol kiosk

that refueling one isn't true la ... its been proven by scientists and engineers that handphones cannot cause a fire at a petrol kiosk

4267[/snapback]

Not exactly Gavin, it's not that it has been proven that cellphones cannot cause fire, but rather either case cannot be proved, i.e. test results were inconclusive. Better be on the safe side.

Couldnt tell you the FO's (the convo may have been the Capt, as PNF does the radios) nationality, but yes MAS0124D was a ferry flight only. 2 POB.

but i can't seem to figure out how it can cause a fire . i really don't know how ..

4292[/snapback]

I'm not sure either but apparently it has to do with the EMwave which radiates energy. From wikipedia:

Again by electromagnetic induction, a strong electromagnetic field can cause electric currents which may flow across an air gap to ground, causing sparks. These sparks can then ignite flammable materials or gases, possibly leading to an explosion or a fire.

Links to read:

http://wired-vig.wired.com/news/technology...2,20321,00.html

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/weekly/aa062399.htm

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/05/14/...ain617547.shtml

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2004May/...40517025165.htm

So guys here are the updates, ok not much to talk about the incident but a lot to talk about the media. The clarifications had been made with the crew involved and here are the results :

1. There were no crew who crawled back to their seats like reported in the media.

2. NONE of the crew prayed on board the flight when the incident took place.

3. When the plane lost altitude the effects on the people in the aircraft was just like how it is when the A/C goes through a really bad weather.

4. Malay Mail had artist impressions of oxygen masks hanging in the cabin, NOTHING whatsoever had happened!

5. Yes, the FO was a chinese guy...

6. Upon landing, the plane was checked and there were NO symptoms of malfunction with the systems..which brings high chances the disturbance to the instruments were caused by an electronic device on board.

7. 9M-MRG flew back safely yesterday morning ferrying all crew involved.

8. When the problem occured, it was said that the throttle arm was adjusting by itself by increasing and decreasing, so the tech crew had to hold it with their hands and manually fly the A/C.

Thats it for now..more to come soon!!

Is the F/O in MH124 from PER a chinese? I heard the conversation between pilots and tower..it seems like a chinese..haha..

4298[/snapback]

==================================================

According to reports, ATSB has interviewed Capt Norhisham Kassim and first officer Caleb Foong, and the plane's black box was also removed for examination.

-Bernama

http://www.bernama.com/aviation_news/news....=148488&lang=en

==================================================

The co-pilot is Caleb Foong.chinese..I'm crazy.. wink.gif

I think he was before the incident and he still is after the incident

5913[/snapback]

Hey guys grammar mistake lar...LOL!!!...hahah..never realized it till today..gosh...my debate team and teacher would definitely be mad at me if they read this....thanx for the correction anyway..and by the way...the FO was, is and will always be a chinese..hahha.. tongue.gif

Sign in to follow this