MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
I. Wong

Fly Asian Xpress (FAX)

*Planning Executive

So,anybody interested? I'm trying my luck to apply for the Planning Executive.Hope they will accept my application.

That would be my preferred job too, however, no Malaysian Nationality :(

Don't be put off Pieter, doesn't say anywhere any of the vacancies restricted to Malaysians. Anyway, if the AK team wants you, likely they will have the resources to secure you a work permit at the very least. And dare I say you're more than "suitably qualified" ?! :)

Well Pieter, how about it ? Take a pay cut to 'third world' level, come live in Borneo and still do the same job !! :D

Edited by BC Tam

Haha,BC is right,Uncle Pieter.

Just changed the post applied from Planning Executive to Planning Officer.Will post the resume to MYY before 27th of January.

Uncle Pieter,Could you explain the role of Planning Executive and Planning Officer? I still don't understand the main responsibities.Hope you can give me some useful explanation and also advices to me and other who wants to work in airline industry.

Well Pieter, how about it ? Take a pay cut to 'third world' level, come live in Borneo and still do the same job !! :D

Haha,BC is right,Uncle Pieter.

Just changed the post applied from Planning Executive to Planning Officer.Will post the resume to MYY before 27th of January.

Uncle Pieter,Could you explain the role of Planning Executive and Planning Officer? I still don't understand the main responsibities.Hope you can give me some useful explanation and also advices to me and other who wants to work in airline industry.

Guys,

Figuring it's controlled by AK, the salaries should be 'quite low' :(

Planning Officer is a bit vague, I must admit; it could be for 'schedule-planning', 'crew-planning' or 'fleet-planning', my job is the latter...

In KLM, schedule-planning, will plan the right aircraft-type for the right routes, i.e. open new routes (as initiated by the commercial dept.) and plan the right type on the route...also, basic planning for maintenance will be planned here (times needed per aircraft type)...

Crew-planning will, basically, plan all the duties for the cockpit- and cabin-crew according to legal (CAA) rules or CLA rules (Collective Labour Agreements)...so, they'll 'tell' the crew what to do per day and when to have leave in the planning-phase...

Fleet-planning will plan which aircraft (registration) will operate which flight (similar to 'does 9M-MRD operate into SYD on MH such-and-such)...you have to take into account the maintenance rules per aircraft for the day/weekend ahead (as cannot send the aircraft away from the maintenance-base); also, when more aircraft are unservicable than needed for the operation, you've to make decisions regarding wet-lease, etc (at least in KLM, don't know about FAX)...

Hope this have enlightened the 'planning' job more to you guys :)

Gentlement,this just in:

The Borneo Post Online

Wednesday,February 7,2007

FAX to replace Fokker 50s

By Alexius Barieng

New aircraft expected in 18 months as airline looks to fly to regional destinations

KUCHING: Fly Asian Xpress (FAX) may obtain new aircraft in the next 18 months to replace its fleet of Fokker 50 aircraft and also to realise its desire of flying to regional destinations.

Its chief executive officer, Raja Mohd Azmi Raja Razali, said that it had already held talks with two manufacturers, namely Canadian-based Bombardier and French-based ATR, which could possibly supply them with the desired aircraft.

He pointed out that FAX was considering the 50-seater and 70-seater offered by these manufacturers, so it could potentially be eyeing the 50-seater ATR 42-500 or Bombardier’s Q300, and the 70-seater ATR 72-500 or Bombardier’s Q400.

“Yes, we have had a few talks with the manufacturers,” he said, during a press conference at Crown Towers here, yesterday.

“We are constantly looking at some (business) articles, and are evaluating new planes right now, but it has to be a propeller aircraft because from an economic standpoint, for short-haul (flights) like the 40-minute average flight time that we have, only the propeller aircraft makes sense.

“We are looking at either the ATR or the Bombardier…and we are seriously evaluating them right now. But, obviously we need to get the agreement from the government to change the aircraft,” he said, adding that the possibility of buying jet-powered aircraft offered by manufacturers Embraer, Boeing and Airbus “doesn’t really make economic sense”.

Raja Azmi also pointed out that although older aircraft generally did not create problems if maintained well, FAX was now faced with technical issues with its planes because of the terrain and areas that it operated in.

“In the medium-term, it is inevitable that we have to get new aircraft, so we have been urging the government that this is something that we cannot ignore.

“This is something that we are pursuing quite strongly with the government and we are certainly seriously looking at that,” he said, adding that the price list of the aircraft was between $20 million and $25 million each.

He explained that FAX’s overall ambition was to not confined to routes within Sarawak and Sabah, but to fly to more commercially-viable routes, such as within the Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines - East Asia Growth Area (BIMP-EAGA) region.

“There are certain roles we want to play…like the role of the commuter or regional airlines, within the interior and urban areas and (within) Borneo and southern Philippines.

“Realistically, we can fly the BIMP-EAGA routes within 18 months,” he said, adding that it was possible that FAX could get its first new aircraft within that period, as well.

When asked whether FAX was also looking for a replacement for its Twin Otter aircraft, Raja Azmi explained that there was ‘no viable alternative’ for that particular model at the moment.

“Twin Otters are even older than the Fokker 50s but more reliable because they are good aircraft.

“The manufacturers say they are going to build a new version soon, with new avionics and engines (and) if that comes along we will look at that. But for the time being there is no good substitutes to Twin Otters,” he said.

Currently, FAX’s fleet consists of seven Fokker 50s and five Twin Otters, which it leases from Penerbangan Malaysia Bhd (PMB).

Looks like FAX is looking for the replacement of the F50 'Borneo Cityhoppers'. :clapping:

Fellow MWings KCH spotters,Your prayers had been answered by Almighty God :yahoo:

Senior citizens, children to pay less

FAX to offer 50 per cent discounts for these two groups

KUCHING: Fly Asian Xpress (FAX) will soon offer senior citizens and children discounted fares on all its flights.

Its chief executive officer Raja Mohd Azmi Raja Razali announced here yesterday that the 50 per cent discount for senior citizens and children would take effect on Feb 15.

He also announced a new route between Sibu and Kuching which will start in April.

“We will have senior citizen and child fares for all our flights. Previously, we had it in our Twin Otter (flights), but now we have (these discounted fares) for all flights starting from Feb 15,” he said at a press conference held at Crown Towers here.

The concession senior citizen and child fare is applicable to children aged between 2 and 12 years old, and adults 55 years and above.

To obtain these fares, passengers would need to present proof of identification upon purchase at FAX or appointed AirAsia airport and sales offices.

“The second announcement is we are going to have a Kuching-Sibu route, obviously at the request of people from Sibu, to enhance the number of flights they already have.

“FAX is filling in the gaps, in terms of the timing so that the people have an alternative in terms of timing of flights to Sibu.”

The new route would be operated by Fokker 50 aircraft and would be serviced twice daily.

Flights would be available for purchase from April at AirAsia/ FAX airport and sales offices, appointed travel agents, FAX’s call centres and through the Internet.

Raja Azmi also revealed that by April, it would be possible for passengers to book and choose their seats, online.

“We have assigned seats for the Fokker 50 (flights)…but ultimately what we want to do is, by April you can book and choose your own seats online.

“Right now, you have to (choose the seat you want) at the check-in counter, so (by April) if you want to sit by the window you can choose it through the Internet.”

Raja Azmi also updated the local media on the airline’s performance over the last six months since it started operations on Aug 1 last year, following the implementation of the rationalisation of domestic air routes.

He revealed that for the past six months, FAX had carried 400,000 passengers on its nearly 14,000 flights in Sarawak and Sabah.

“The numbers state that 87 per cent (of FAX’s flights) are on time (and) by world standards that is more than reasonable…the main reason for delays and cancellations are primarily weather-related (5 per cent), especially in the interiors where our Twin Otters are more vulnerable to the weather.

“Technical is another reason (4.7 per cent) and 3 per cent (of delays) is due to operational reasons…in terms of overall performance, these are the numbers,” he said, explaining that FAX flew to 22 destinations and operates 104 flights a day.

He pointed out that although some of its 300 staff were still seconded from Malaysia Airlines (MAS), by next month FAX would be able to manage the engineering process on its own.

Raja Azmi added that currently all but two of its seven Fokker 50s and five Twin Otters were now sporting the FAX livery.

The Borneo Cityhopper will make its comeback to KCH this April! I'm so excited to hear this news!!! :yahoo:

Apparently FAX have been planning to change their F50 fleet for quite some time already. I've seen the same news since last year.

Anyway, the 2nd news makes me jumping up and down right now :yahoo: :clapping:

Would love to see a Bombardier "Q" Series and/or an ATR aircraft in FAX livery :) :D ;) :yahoo:

Edited by Andrew Ong

ATR!!

“The manufacturers say they are going to build a new version soon, with new avionics and engines (and) if that comes along we will look at that. But for the time being there is no good substitutes to Twin Otters,” he said.

hmm..Cessna C208 or the Sukhoi 80?..since some of the twotter flights doesnt carry all 19 pax

For me,I'm getting more on the Dash 8 Q300/400 series :lol:

If FAX acquires Dash-8,FAX will be operating all-Canadian turboprop aircrafts (Including the good ol' Twin Otter a.k.a. 'Merang Kembar',what the rural people in Sarawak call it) :lol:

For me,I'm getting more on the Dash 8 Q300/400 series :lol:

If FAX acquires Dash-8,FAX will be operating all-Canadian turboprop aircrafts (Including the good ol' Twin Otter a.k.a. 'Merang Kembar',what the rural people in Sarawak call it) :lol:

Well, let's see what they think suits best la..

Merang Kembar??!! What a name! Direct translation.. So the full name will be "Cepat-Lapan dengan Merang Kembar".. Onz man!

Well, let's see what they think suits best la..

Merang Kembar??!! What a name! Direct translation.. So the full name will be "Cepat-Lapan dengan Merang Kembar".. Onz man!

hahaha :rofl: Wonder if the locals here will call that if FAX acquires Dash 8 :lol: and what the new name of the ATRs if they choose ATRs instead :lol: Yup,'Merang Kembar' is definately a direct translation for the Twin Otters (MH and D7 days).Even the elder locals still saying it.

I've gotta admit,the Twin Otter is a main transport for the Orang Ulu in the Sarawak :good:

Edited by Tamizi Hj Tamby

I loved all my Twin Otter flights - Miri/Mulu and Kuching/Mukah. Their short field performance is simply fantastic. You are in the air in a blink of an eye. Most of the flight was with the great Captain Telohchan (hope I spelt it correcty) Singh. Don't know why but I always end-up on his flight. he is a real nice guy. Take first row and he will let you stick your head in the cockpit. :yahoo:

Good old MZV in the news, not for the best reason though. :D

The MYY-MZV flight must be D7-2234, the same flight I took - read my own FAX experience MYY/MZV:

http://travel.smz8.com/kl-to-mulu/

http://travel.smz8.com/byebye-mulu/

+++

April 13, 2007 17:10 PM

Aircraft Tyre Bursts After Landing At Mulu Airport

MULU, April 13 (Bernama) -- A Fly Asian Xpress (FAX) Fokker F-50 aircraft which carried Miri Police Chief ACP Abang Abdillah Othman, and members of the media including a Bernama reporter burst one of its tyres after landing at the airport, here Friday.

However, no casualty was reported in the incindent that occurred a few minutes after the aircraft landed at this rural airport at about 2.10 pm while it was taxiing towards the terminal when one of the two right rear tyres suddenly burst.

The aircraft had earlier taken off at 1.40pm from Miri airport with just over 20 passengers.

An explosion was heard when the aircraft made a turn upon landing and a passenger later saw one of the right rear tyres was deflated as the aircraft made its way to the airport tarmac.

A FAX staff at the airport said that it was rather fortunate that the incident occurred after the aircraft had landed as the situation could have been worse should the tyre explode at the time when the aircraft hit the runaway.

Bernama learnt that the incident had been reported to the FAX hub office in Miri and the airline had despatched a smaller aircarft, a De Havilland Twin Otter aircarft here to bring passengers who were supposed to return to Miri on board the Fokker F50 return flight.

-- BERNAMA

Nation

Saturday April 14, 2007

FAX aircraft tyre bursts after landing in Mulu

MULU: A Fly Asian Xpress (FAX) Fokker F50 aircraft which carried Miri police chief Asst Comm Abang Abdillah Othman and several members of the media caused a scare when one of its tyres burst after landing at the airport here yesterday.

However, no casualty was reported in the incident that occurred at about 2.10pm.

The aircraft had earlier taken off at 1.40pm from Miri airport with just over 20 passengers.

An explosion was heard when the aircraft made a turn upon landing.

A FAX staff member at the airport said it could have been worse if the tyre had exploded at the time of landing.

It is learnt that the airline sent a smaller aircraft for passengers returning to Miri. – Bernama

Source:http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2007/4/14/nation/17442046&sec=nation

Small return load, if it can fit in a DHT :blink:

This is gonna be interesting. Fledgling FAX is entering a high-risk business with a yet-to-be-tested plan, and who's gonna run the show? A 36-yr-old aviation freshie. Yes, this is indeed worth a watch.

+++

May 23, 2007 16:42 PM

FAX Names New CEO

KUALA LUMPUR, May 23 (Bernama) -- Fly Asian Xpress Sdn Bhd (FAX), operator of the new long haul low-cost airline AirAsia X, Wednesday announced the apppointment of Azran Osman-Rani as its new chief executive officer effective from July 2, 2007.

Prior the appointment, Azran was senior director of business affairs at Astro All Asia Networks plc, FAX said in a statement.

With 12 years of experience, Azran is taking over from Raja Mohd Azmi who will continue as a director to FAX, the company said.

Azran, aged 36, holds a master's degree in management science and a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, both from Stanford University, US.

http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news_lite.php?id=263629

AirAsia X has been very successful, few remember they started with this FAX fiasco.

AirAsia X has been very successful, few remember they started with this FAX fiasco.

Maybe that is why Tan Sri claims Sabah is very close to his heart :D