MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Sanjay Thaker

Emirates a 4 Star Airline now?

Hey guys i was juz going through the Skytrax website and i noticed that EMIRATES is now ranked as a 4 Star Airline instead of 5 Star....and the only 4 airlines remaining on the 5* List is MH, SQ, QR, and CX......has this change been done for a long time..or is it juz a recent revision? And why has it dropped by the way?

Hey guys i was juz going through the Skytrax website and i noticed that EMIRATES is now ranked as a 4 Star Airline instead of 5 Star....and the only 4 airlines remaining on the 5* List is MH, SQ, QR, and CX......has this change been done for a long time..or is it juz a recent revision? And why has it dropped by the way?

EK has been a 4 star airline for a while now.

AFAIK...EK has never been ranked as a 5 star airline.

Everytime I've flown with them (its been 8 years..continuously..)...they've only ever bragged about themselves being the "Best Airline in the World". Never "A 5 star airline".

Knowing Emirates as what they are (braggers :p ), they certainly would have widely publicized their 5 star ranking if they ever had one.

I could be wrong...I'll do some research for you guys if you wish.

Seth..sufficient? :pardon:

AFAIK...EK has never been ranked as a 5 star airline.

Everytime I've flown with them (its been 8 years..continuously..)...they've only ever bragged about themselves being the "Best Airline in the World". Never "A 5 star airline".

Knowing Emirates as what they are (braggers :p ), they certainly would have widely publicized their 5 star ranking if they ever had one.

I could be wrong...I'll do some research for you guys if you wish.

Seth..sufficient? :pardon:

Naah, there no need explanation, I just messing around thou. But really doubt why they can't get the 5 star rate. They have nice hub, best seat in sky, nice crew, personally, my dad now choose Emirates over MH for his travelling. EK do has mass network to Asia/Europe/Africa :)

EK food and entertainment is superior than MH. On South Asian sectors, MH is always serving similar menu.

Yes I agree that Emirates entertainment and food in Y class is definitely worth 5* ranking, and the cabin crew are really friendly. The only downside I can think about them is the seats - their 777's Y class are configured in 3-4-3 vs 3-3-3 or 2-5-2 by most airlines!!! I flew them on LGW-DXB and I felt so sorry for those oversize people who were struggling to fit themselves into those tiny seats.

Thinking about what Chai said about the seating config for EK Y-class, could be that they're squeezing more seats into the low-yield Y-cabin to be able to offer superior high-yield P/J products and yet keeping the fares down (heard that their prices are quite competitive).

Just my 2 cents.

EK's J is on the other hand not up to international standards (flew MEL-DXB-LGW). For an airline with such a huge reputation, I was left distinctly underwhelmed by their J seats and service. Was expecting them to install at least angled flat seats on their A345 or 773ER. And whilst cabin crew is decent to pax, they come across as lacking coordination and professionalism as a whole. At one point the crew members serving my cabin were openly arguing with one another over how best to perform the service. Not 'superior' by any means.

Y is alright. Seating on the 773 is unacceptably tight, even for just the MEL-AKL sector. Good food. Again, lack of teamwork amongst cabin crew; one could perceive an overrall sense of confusion. I also encountered very abrupt service on some of my flights, but decent service on others - lack of consistency.

Never been on EK F sadly. F on the A345 looks great, but from what I hear the machinery breaks down a lot. Comments about service have been generally positive though.

So on the whole, it is not surprising that EK is not a 5* carrier even though I'm usually sceptical of Skytrax's methodology. EK could start by improving their J cabins which atm resemble those of UA and AA.

Edited by Keith T

Y is alright. Seating on the 773 is unacceptably tight, even for just the MEL-AKL sector.

I flew inside their 772 once (i think it was the non-ER one). Powerful machine with superb IFE system. The Y layout is in 3-4-3 but the legroom is very good (34"). The difference of the Y class seat width on EK 777 is only 0.2" less than those Y seat on 747, 737 and 757. Unless you have a measuring tape with you, i don't think you can fell the 0.2" difference. The crew on my flight, however, were very inconsistent.

I flew inside their 772 once (i think it was the non-ER one). Powerful machine with superb IFE system. The Y layout is in 3-4-3 but the legroom is very good (34"). The difference of the Y class seat width on EK 777 is only 0.2" less than those Y seat on 747, 737 and 757. Unless you have a measuring tape with you, i don't think you can fell the 0.2" difference. The crew on my flight, however, were very inconsistent.

I forgot to mention the IFE - yeah it's really cutting edge and doesn't break down as often as Krisworld.

The Y seat pitch on an EK 777 might not be that much tighter than that of a typical 747, but it is a lot smaller than a typical 777 config. I usually aim to fly on a 777 on most airlines when flying in Y simply because the seats are bigger than those of a 747.

Edited by Keith T

Went aboard A345 A6-ERJ 2 days ago, and you are immediately taken back by the golden Emirates logo in the doorway, the sort of thing you expect on gov't jets with their coat of arms. Each F suite, is sweet. They're simply amazing to say the least. Walking down into J, it almost replicates QF's Skybed, however these are white.

At one point the crew members serving my cabin were openly arguing with one another over how best to perform the service. Not 'superior' by any means.
I hope they were whispering, as dotted through out EK a/c is small stickers reminding FA's that courteous crew members whisper.

There is exactly 8 things wrong with EK at the moment, Imran will know exactly what i'm talking about! Bring on 77W's!!

Edited by Liam Gibb

Walking down into J, it almost replicates QF's Skybed, however these are white.

Unfortunately it does not even go angled flat unlike QF's. It's virtually indistinguishable from QF's Dreamtime seats comfort wise. And the MEL-DXB flight was 15 hours... Huge discrepancy between F and J on the 345.

I hope they were whispering, as dotted through out EK a/c is small stickers reminding FA's that courteous crew members whisper.

Exactly what those unprofessional crew members in question need. Or do it inside the goddamn galley. But you know - the former might be more cost-efficient as the latter would result in a need to make all galleys soundproof. Not that it would matter to EK's extremely deep pockets though. ;)

Edited by Keith T

EK could start by improving their J cabins which atm resemble those of UA and AA.

UA's domestic "premium service" C cabin is actually not that bad. Comfortable seats (but controls are manual) with a proper footrest (unlike MH's old purple seats on international flights with footrest designed for midgets) and the best legroom I have ever seen in biz class. Their food and service is another story altogether. BTW their "premium service" F cabin seats are similar to SQ's spacebed but with enhanced legroom.

UA's domestic "premium service" C cabin is actually not that bad. Comfortable seats (but controls are manual) with a proper footrest (unlike MH's old purple seats on international flights with footrest designed for midgets) and the best legroom I have ever seen in biz class. Their food and service is another story altogether. BTW their "premium service" F cabin seats are similar to SQ's spacebed but with enhanced legroom.

Are they planning to expand it beyond JFK-SFO/LAX? It's quite a good product for domestic US flying but I guess it's on those sectors because they're so competitive. The legroom in Y is Y+ throughout the entire cabin too as I understand it, instead of just a few rows reserved for elites on intl sectors.

Edited by Keith T

Each F suite, is sweet. They're simply amazing to say the least.

I have only seen pictures, and yes they look nice. Seems like the ultimate "Arabian nights" flying-suite. Which would be the cheapest route (from SE Asia) to experience this extravagance ?

UA biz class looks more like BR biz class but with blue in terior :) Domestic biz first class is uncomparable. No special need given unless disable ;)

I've been to EK on KUL-SIN-AKL route this year and will be doing the same again this year end. I found EK's economy class to be Unacceptably aweful. Even for a 5"7 student, the leg room is darn tight, the seat pitch is terrible...and to add it all up, the stupid inflight video (showing views outside cockpit) is thoroughly useless!

even my mom complained too, they had to disembark 350+ pax in brisbane on a 773 ..and the process was rather very irritating. Honestly, emirates prioritise on profit TOO much... inflight entertainment was rather OKOK-ish only, food was good..service was excellenct. BUT once again, seat pitch is disturbing. They do not have what it takes to be a 5star airline.

As for MAs which i've been taking for the previous 2 years, i must say...i miss MAS 744 KUL-AKL. "thanks" for the increasing price of the ticket, it is just somewhat unbearable for an average family at times.

So year end...i don't think i have a choice but to bear the pain again in that crampy 773EK again... wish me luck guys

Domestic biz first class is uncomparable.

I was refering to the new PS (premium service) cabins which is limitted to only certain JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO flights. The leg room is unbelievably generous. This is a major improvement over the mainstream C/F domestic cabins which is similar to MH's purple seats.

As for MAs which i've been taking for the previous 2 years, i must say...i miss MAS 744 KUL-AKL. "thanks" for the increasing price of the ticket, it is just somewhat unbearable for an average family at times.

I agree MH's fares are getting very expensive. But you have to factor in the mileage earning capability for each fare which you are likely/able to use before making a decision. I put a value of 8-10sen for every Enrich mile, MH sells them for MYR100 for every 1,000 miles. I am often amazed at those who purchased tickets at travel fairs at a mere MYR200 discount but losing miles worth MYR500. BTW MH's cheap L fares are now acruing 30% of distance flown instead of nil previously.

Edited by Arthur Lee

I've been to EK on KUL-SIN-AKL route this year and will be doing the same again this year end. I found EK's economy class to be Unacceptably aweful. Even for a 5"7 student, the leg room is darn tight, the seat pitch is terrible...and to add it all up, the stupid inflight video (showing views outside cockpit) is thoroughly useless!

even my mom complained too, they had to disembark 350+ pax in brisbane on a 773 ..and the process was rather very irritating. Honestly, emirates prioritise on profit TOO much... inflight entertainment was rather OKOK-ish only, food was good..service was excellenct. BUT once again, seat pitch is disturbing. They do not have what it takes to be a 5star airline.

So year end...i don't think i have a choice but to bear the pain again in that crampy 773EK again... wish me luck guys

Thanks for the feedback on EK, I was actually looking at flying EK from LHR to KUL. Anyone has been on this flight have the same thing to say?

Thanks for the feedback on EK, I was actually looking at flying EK from LHR to KUL. Anyone has been on this flight have the same thing to say?

I do... :pardon:

Firstly...Id recommend you try to get yourself onto either EK 002 or EK 004 as they are operated by the 777-300ER series of aircraft. The I.C.E IFE system is installed throughout all 3 classes and the GE90-115B's purr almost holily... :drinks:

DXB-KUL...id recommend you get onto the 777 flight (takes off in the early morning). Mainly because the alternative to that (A330 morning flight) is downright terrible. Now..I might be biased here...I hate the A330.

Do let me know in which class (or classes) you plan to fly in and I'll advise you on the facilities you can expect along with possible seating recommendations.

Not been on that flight exactly but I've done MEL-DXB-LGW in J and MEL-SIN in Y.

Mind you I was not saying that EK is crap - they're decent, but do not really live up to the hype. LHR-DXB-KUL will be operated by a mix of 777s/330s. You might get the ICE IFE system if you're on a 777-300ER but I'm doubtful that it's been deployed on the London runs and most definitely not the KUL runs. EK Y food is no better or worse than SQ or MH but then it's Y class food after all no matter how the airlines want to dress it up as. The airline that excels in the food department is OS if you do not mind stopping in VIE. Crew service... definitely better on MH and SQ. Seating in Y is a disgrace for the most part on EK, its here that MH excels.

Similar comments for EK J, but seating is even worse for the J product. Not worse than the Y product, I mean - just very bad on a comparative level with the competition. As of yet, none of EK's J configs feature angled flat beds, only cradle-style seats.

By all means check out EK and see how it compares for urself. The things you read here will just be other people's subjective opinion. But personally, I won't be tripping over to fly EK unless I get an extremely cheap fare and at a time I don't need EQMs. You do realise they do not accrue miles on Krisflyer do you, if you've indeed switched to KF? They do however accrue redeemable miles on UA if you want a *A program to use on EK.

edited to add - just saw Imran's post. Yes by all means get on to the 777-300ER flights. Seating is not too different from the other flights but the ICE system definitely blows the competition. More stable than Krisflyer and definitely a better system than the extremely underwhelming StudioCX. Also, I think one of the flights to KUL stops in SIN or something along those lines? Might want to check that out b4 picking ur flight.

Edited by Keith T

I found EK's economy class to be Unacceptably aweful. Even for a 5"7 student, the leg room is darn tight, the seat pitch is terrible...and to add it all up, the stupid inflight video (showing views outside cockpit) is thoroughly useless!

But the seat pitch is the same as MAS Y on 744, 772 and 333.

But the seat pitch is the same as MAS Y on 744, 772 and 333.

That's what I was thinking, unless it's the A330 he was talking about. But I'm not sure if the A330 operates any part of the KUL-SIN-MEL-AKL, definitely not the SIN-MEL-AKL bit which is definitely the 773 at 34 inches of seat pitch. Maybe a case of confusion between seat pitch and seat width?

Ooh I just noticed that MEL-AKL is no longer EK404/405 B773 service. It's now EK406/407 operated by the A345. Mmm maybe I'll give them a shot in Y on the return as they've got specials on atm that also accrues RDMs to UA. A345 seats do not look as cramped and its full service unlike NZ which wants to charge more but at only 50% miles and tasman express service; elcheapo NZ fare costs the same as EK but no miles... Plus EK's departure will allow me an extra 1hr 20 minutes with my friends I suppose. Only problem is to try to beg my way into the lounges since UA*G is not recognised on EK and the NZ Koru Club will say no to a non *A BP. Ah well, I'd still have flown NZ had they not been naughty and canned NZ127.

Edited by Keith T

Sign in to follow this