MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
S V Choong

About Subang in her heyday

this is real colourful history...

Being using Subang since i was young due to travel to Sabah since my father was posted there for 11 years...then in 1994, i start to work with MAS and start my life there in Subang Airport, in and out many times a month...

When all these stories i read, it brings good memories of how Subang was then...and now!!!

Guys, you got a lot of colourful pictures of MH fleet and also jurasic photo of Subang back then. I do have a few, in my kampung house, my Brother Azahan has a few too as we use to go there and take pictures from the obs deck.

Can anyone still remember back in the 80s, the lobby at Subang airport has this big and small rounded world clock with Rothmans advertisement...?

T2 i think was build when T1 was under renovation, i remember using T2 for going to LHR in 1982. So, they must have started building in early 81..

Yes, Simpang's runway does seem rather short for a jet aircraft, especially those of that generation. But if it could, perhaps Comets under Malaysian Airways may have used Simpang since they were introduced in 1962, while Subang became operational only in 1965. Hopefully one day we'll get some information to confirm this.

Azmal, thanks for the great photos of the old MAS fleet, especially those of the B707 which I knew so little about. I believe I have flown on some of the B732s in the pictures.

Yes TK, the Rothmans clock....the many ball-like clocks showing world times. Hope to see yours or Azahan's Subang collection if convinient for you guys to scan. Miss those days. KLIA is such a pain to go to, and a tiring walk within!

I used to travel down to JHB by flight fr IPH with my family several times a year and we'll transit in KUL (SZB). That was back in 1985 till 1994 (when the NSE was completed) and domestics were based in T2 until late 1993 when T3 opens.

When travelling abroad I remembered that we had to take those shuttle buses to commute between T1 and T2/3. These buses were normally not really reliable punctuality wise IIRC.

So, all these pictures do remind me of dear old SZB.

Now that you mentioned it, Gavin, I do remember the umbrellas!!!! With MAS logo on it!!! Would be a collector's item!

Azmal, just a rough guess..... All the 707s..... were they taken at HKG Kai Tak? All the 737s, were they taking at Subang before renovation to include aerobridges? Where are the DC-10s taken? One of the should be in Aussie with that Qantas Kangaroo tail.

Very nice photos and thank you!!! Some fond memories here......

I remember the airport buses were wide and low, far more comfortable than the old Sri Jaya stage buses! Oh yes the umbrellas. It reminds me a lot of the old when I go to Langkawi. No fancy aerobridges, just the classic stairs. I also liked the way they guide the airplane to the parking spot. You know the two table tennis bat - like thing (what are the real names for them anyway?) I'd like to learn the sign language using those things.

Azmal,

Thanks for the historic pics of MAS, love it esp the F-27. I've been looking for MAS F-27 in old c/s for a long time but can't find any. Your pics bring back a lot of memories. Thanks.

By the way, did u take these pics or u buy them?

Azmal,

Thanks for the historic pics of MAS, love it esp the F-27. I've been looking for MAS F-27 in old c/s for a long time but can't find any. Your pics bring back a lot of memories. Thanks.

By the way, did u take these pics or u buy them?

3839[/snapback]

Neither. Found them on the 'net. cool.gif biggrin.gif

Hey, sounds like riddle of nostalgia flowing in... I've only been to Subang Airport once, though... And that was in 1998. I really miss it...

Guess most of you grew up in Klang Valley and vicinity and visit to the airport is no problem at all... Nice pictures you guys have! Old but, as always, meaningful!

I thought there is only one accident involving civilian a/c in Malaysia, the famous tragedy happened in Johor. I was pretty surprised to know there had been more... Especially when there is one due to miscommunication! Couldn't have the pilots read from the aeronautical charts that MDA was 2400ft??? The charts are right there; the crews could have consulted ATC in such case of doubt... And ATC radars (with transponder function, I guess) would have revealed the fateful altitude then!

By the way, adding a "to" into "...descend (here) two four zero zero..." wouldn't help much either because it could be intepreted as "22, 400" in a general situation. Any way to remove such confusion?

Educate me, please... biggrin.gif

PS: Is the Flying Tiger's skeleton still around?

Azmal, just a rough guess.....  All the 707s..... were they taken at HKG Kai Tak?  All the 737s, were they taking at Subang before renovation to include aerobridges?  Where are the DC-10s taken?  One of the should be in Aussie with that Qantas Kangaroo tail.

Very nice photos and thank you!!!  Some fond memories here......

3823[/snapback]

9M-MCR was shot in Melbourne IIRC. Others you got right. MBP & MBE, not sure where. The DC-10s both in OZ.

Hey, sounds like riddle of nostalgia flowing in... I've only been to Subang Airport once, though... And that was in 1998. I really miss it...

I've been there since 1987! biggrin.gif

I thought there is only one accident involving civilian a/c in Malaysia, the famous tragedy happened in Johor.

3960[/snapback]

Oh, there is plenty. A good place to start is here:-

http://aviation-safety.net/database/dblist.php?Country=9M

By the way, adding a "to" into "...descend (here) two four zero zero..." wouldn't help much either because it could be intepreted as "22, 400" in a general situation.

3960[/snapback]

Nope. 22400ft is flight level 224. (flight level two two four)

Agree with you guys, those pictures really bring back sweet memories;

and with my "age" biggrin.gif I've visited Simpang when it was the main International Gateway for Malaysia laugh.gif laugh.gif

BTW, After the Tiger accident, the phraseology being changed

to avoid confusions;

I believed for 2,400ft they pronounce it as

"Too Touzen Fower Hundred" (note: Not a mis-spelling)

Please correct me, flyers.. wink.gif

And the site now stands a new school complex and a housing development

The hill was flatten for the Puchong re-development.. cool.gif

--

"Too Touzen Fower Hundred"

your tounge can get entangle just to say that.... biggrin.gif

TU TAUZEN FOR HANDRED FIT  biggrin.gif

3977[/snapback]

Yup... thank you, Sir, for untangled my tongue... laugh.gif

--

Yup... thank you, Sir, for untangled my tongue... laugh.gif

--

3992[/snapback]

eh! I don't know whether mine is correct or not.....we wait till the MW FAQ section available then we pose this question again...okay wink.gif

TU TAUZEN FOR HANDRED FIT

Malaysians tended to pronounce "t" as "d".

Many can't actually correctly pronounce "th" as in "thousand".

May wanna work on that tongue.gif

Malaysians tended to pronounce "t" as "d".

Many can't actually correctly pronounce "th" as in "thousand".

May wanna work on that  tongue.gif

4088[/snapback]

Oh because in Malay language "t" is pronounced like "d", as in Portugese and Spanish... Remember Portugese first arrived in the Peninsula before the English... rolleyes.gif

After visiting the link suggested by Azmal, I now recall other incidents, especially the Fokker (or Twin Otter) that crashed at Tawau. Some questions arise soon after...

Here:

1. The Saudi 747 case - is it possible for a ground engineer to taxi the plane???

2. Airbus A.330 9M-MKB Malaysia Airlines is reported damaged beyond repair. What happened to it thereafter, having "damaged beyond repair?"

3. The punctured Korean Air Cargo - was it repaired (at WMKP) and flown off? Where did that piece of flap fell on?

rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif blink.gif

2. Airbus A.330 9M-MKB Malaysia Airlines is reported damaged beyond repair. What happened to it thereafter, having "damaged beyond repair?"

Besi buruk. To the scrappers I suppose (and possible salvaging of useable parts first before that).

BTW, speaking about the 707 about to be turned into a restaurant, are you guys sure it was a PIA bird? Not this one?

And oh, a little promo. cool.gif Have you guys downloaded the video link I gave above ( of a MAS 707 landing at SZB)?

And oh, a little promo. cool.gif Have you guys downloaded the video link I gave above ( of a MAS 707 landing at SZB)?

4107[/snapback]

Will do when I get to a faster machine later in the day... The PC I'm using now is.. ergh... problematic!

Oh because in Malay language "t" is pronounced like "d", as in Portugese and Spanish... Remember Portugese first arrived in the Peninsula before the English... 

Doubt it. That was many centuries ago. It would have a great impact if and only if the Portuguese did conduct something like forcing the Malays to abandon their language and everyone learnt Portuguese. More over, the Portuguese who stationed in Melaka did not leave in Malaysia that much of an impact compared to the English. The English was the last colonialist. It is more like how "t" is actually pronounced in the Malay language, which sounded like a "d".

9M-MKB was scrapped after the PEK-KUL flight. It was believed that the cargo it held was some lethal chemical to aluminium alloy which leaked during flight and hence weakened the structure of the a/c. A/C was written off and scrapped. It was parked outside the MAS maintenance area at KLIA for a while.

Azmal, that looks like the 707 which was stranded at SZB. I shall conduct more research into it.