MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
S V Choong

About Subang in her heyday

Azmal,

You do know that MAS had an Airbus A310-300 previously don't you?  rego F-ODVF seen at SIN during early 90s

user posted image

4547[/snapback]

Yup. As well as some YU-registered B732s and a DC-10 in basic delta livery:

user posted image

user posted image

Wow .

I wish I had another chance to get shots of these aircraft , including the MH 310 which i never knew existed .

Would you guys happen to know when and why malaysia airlines changed their logo and etc , and went from 'malaysian' to 'malaysia'

Gavin, I think it was around late 1987-88 when MAS announced the new livery and change of name to MALAYSIA Airlines from MALAYSIAN AIRLINE SYSTEM (Mana Ada System laugh.gif) Only started to see a/c with new liveries starting 1988 and it was done progressively over a period of a few years.

Oldies like the Airbus A300, Boeing 737-200, Boeing 747-236B, Boeing 747-3H6/M, McDD DC-10-30, Fokker F-27 and DHC 6 were lucky enough to have received the new livery before they were retired completely.

Wow .

I wish I had another chance to get shots of these aircraft , including the MH 310 which i never knew existed .

Would you guys happen to know when and why malaysia airlines changed their logo and etc , and went from 'malaysian' to 'malaysia'

4612[/snapback]

I recall watching the news of the unveiling of the new scheme on TV. The reason they changed from Malaysian to Malaysia was because they wanted to promote "Malaysia". Apparently at that time people were not sure what country "Malaysian" refers to... is it Malaya or what? In the 80s, I think a lot of people didn't know that there is a country called Malaysia. (I suppose we made progress in the 90s and now people know there is such a country although they don't know where it is)

I thought this was very strange... in the end I think most foreigners, i.e., the target of this change, thought that it is very strange grammar to call it Malaysia Airlines and not Malaysian airlines.

In the 80s, I think a lot of people didn't know that there is a country called Malaysia. (

Strangely enough most readily know our neighbour down south! blink.gif

May be due to this colonial thing? Most English speaking countries know where Singapore is since the colonial times. Hong Kong and Shanghai is another well known colonial territory to the West.

The term "Malaysia" only existed after the union of East, West and Singapore. Singapore on the other hand existed from Stamford Raffles. The terms "Malaya" and "Borneo" (result from mis-pronunciation of "Brunei") are probably better known to them.

Guest Fendy

one from the good ol days

user posted image

CCCP-86564, sitting at T1 in SZB (then KUL) preparing for DXB and on to SVO.

Strangely enough most readily know our  neighbour down south!  blink.gif

Reminds me of a joke I heard: Kiasu-land and we are Boleh-land. (Kiasu = hokkien for afraid to loose).

Most UK friends in uni mistakenly use "Malaya." Australians (even ordinary man on the street) did better, mainly because they know that their ex-PM was called recalcitrant by our ex-PM.

Australians (even ordinary man on the street) did better, mainly because they know that their ex-PM was called recalcitrant by our ex-PM.

4879[/snapback]

I thought it was the other way round...because our PM refused to attend the APEC meeting down under.

I thought it was the other way round...because our PM refused to attend the APEC meeting down under.

You are correct. Your recollection is better than mine.

See: http://www.apmforum.com/news/apmn232.htm

Scroll down, and you will see that Keating often uses colorful words that hit the correct pressure point. I found this one amusing:

"I am not like the Leader of the Opposition. I did not slither out of the Cabinet room like a mangy maggot..."

Nice...

SQ 737-100, a Garuda DC10, CI 727 and isnt that an IL-62 in the background? Aeroflot?

What yr do you think it was?

Edited by Mushrif A

What yr do you think it was?

Movie was released 1979. My first international flight ex-Subang was early '78. ;)

Does anybody have any pictures of Concorde in Subang? I remember seeing a picture of an Air France Concorde at KL Sentral but I just can't remember which area it was. I saw a pic of a BA Concorde in Subang on a website, but I've lost the URL!

Really miss the ramps and the old birds in the old SZB.

I was a kid back then, so cannot afford a camera yet. :sorry:

Wow they had such a nice viewing gallery

Yes, but it was hot, humid and very noisy. :D

Does anybody have any pictures of Concorde in Subang? I remember seeing a picture of an Air France Concorde at KL Sentral but I just can't remember which area it was. I saw a pic of a BA Concorde in Subang on a website, but I've lost the URL!

I believe that the early Subang Airport publicity material all included a Concorde flying overhead. Even the commemorative postage stamps have it.

I also remember my mum taking the MSA Comet 4 flight to SIN, and some DC-3's were also operating then. When MSA split to become MAS and SIA, it was rather sad. But I admired the beautiful SQ livery and was wondering why MAS had such unprofessional colours. If I remembered correctly the SQ livery was designed by Singapores top postage stamp designer. That logo has become so iconic that SQ dare not replace it!

Yes, that circular viewing gallery is always a hit - one can even see the pilots doing their pre-flight check lists. In the mornings and evenings, we can also see the vortices doing their thing on the planes' wingtips. I would say that aircraft spotters in those days have it real easy, a far cry from these days.

If I remembered correctly the SQ livery was designed by Singapores top postage stamp designer. That logo has become so iconic that SQ dare not replace it!

Eh? SQ logo bukan Landor Associates punya ka?

Edited by Ryan Soh

Guest redharahmad

Nice...

SQ 737-100, a Garuda DC10, CI 727 and isnt that an IL-62 in the background? Aeroflot?

Cool Video! At 5:00 u can even see a 'Singapore Girl' walking on the tarmac in her iconic Sarong Kebaya albeit with a retro hairdo!

Whoa, at a time when "terrorist" and "beredar" were not in the dictionary. :(

Cool Video! At 5:00 u can even see a 'Singapore Girl' walking on the tarmac in her iconic Sarong Kebaya albeit with a retro hairdo!

My god your eyes are sharp. But her figure would not pass today's stringent rules on SQ though... Hahahahaha. But then again, she could have been a ground staff like we see in KLIA today wearing the kebaya. She wasn't dragging any luggage with her so unlikely to be cabin crew lah.

Edited by Ryan Soh
  • Like 1

My god your eyes are sharp. But her figure would not pass today's stringent rules on SQ though... Hahahahaha.

Sharp eyes nothing in comparison to your discerning analysis though :p