MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
S V Choong

About Subang in her heyday

No internet those days.. Had to get my dad or mum to drive me to the airport on the weekend to look at the FIDS...

No google so later had to ask at information or call them to ask where 'CHC' was... LOL

No internet those days.. Had to get my dad or mum to drive me to the airport on the weekend to look at the FIDS...

No google so later had to ask at information or call them to ask where 'CHC' was... LOL

CHC? Christchurch?

Didn't remember Air NZ has flown to KUL from CHC? Thought only AKL-SIN-KUL on the B767-200/300

I remember asking them about it as I was confused to see that 3 letter code. They did fly to CHC at some point from KUL IIRC

I remember asking them about it as I was confused to see that 3 letter code. They did fly to CHC at some point from KUL IIRC

Very unlikely to be non-stop. No aircraft have the range to go that far back then.

Probably with stops somewhere

arcintap-65w1ndh52ut1fge4sbk4_layout.jpg

1991- VIP lounge I guess??

arcintap-5rkpa9o2g42kn6aol5a_layout.jpg

1989- baggage claim area..I wonder there are how many baggage claim conveyor in T1 as T1 is not that big by juding the pictures of it..

arcintap-5nxl7ddf0fmez82h50s_layout.jpg

1979 before the renovation

arcintap-5nxl7kxzdywfxryr50s_layout.jpg

check in counters 1983

arcintap-5nxl6ccy9pc9f7r450s_layout.jpg

1992 fire

arcintap-5nxl6hk4mqu12pefw50s_layout.jpg

arcintap-5nxljze5edk1c0ggd50s_layout.jpg

1993- I don't know which part of the terminal, I was not even born yet....

arcintap-5nxl71dfx5s1erck450s_layout.jpg

arcintap-5nxli4de7hx1h24kw50s_layout.jpg

1994- I guess the blue columns and the roof above it is not part of the original construction, I meant it was added after renovation..

arcintap-5nxl7293ydi14nvyf50s_layout.jpg

arcintap-5nxljxdhf60tk74e50s_layout.jpg

1995- travelator area, departure hall I guess??

Those pictures are taken from the internet..

I have not seen T1 before as I am too young for that, but my dad used to work in T1 before I was even born that's why I knows that it was the ex international airport of Kuala Lumpur. I feels very sad when they demolished such a beautiful terminal building...

BTW where does the airtel located?? is it inside the terminal building itself or a separate building? It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could show pictures of the airtel...

Edited by Conor

arcintap-65w1ndh52ut1fge4sbk4_layout.jpg

1991- VIP lounge I guess??

arcintap-5rkpa9o2g42kn6aol5a_layout.jpg

1989- baggage claim area..I wonder there are how many baggage claim conveyor in T1 as T1 is not that big by juding the pictures of it..

arcintap-5nxl7ddf0fmez82h50s_layout.jpg

1979 before the renovation

arcintap-5nxl7kxzdywfxryr50s_layout.jpg

check in counters 1983

arcintap-5nxl6ccy9pc9f7r450s_layout.jpg

1992 fire

arcintap-5nxl6hk4mqu12pefw50s_layout.jpg

arcintap-5nxljze5edk1c0ggd50s_layout.jpg

1993- I don't know which part of the terminal, I was not even born yet....

arcintap-5nxl71dfx5s1erck450s_layout.jpg

arcintap-5nxli4de7hx1h24kw50s_layout.jpg

1994- I guess the blue columns and the roof above it is not part of the original construction, I meant it was added after renovation..

arcintap-5nxl7293ydi14nvyf50s_layout.jpg

arcintap-5nxljxdhf60tk74e50s_layout.jpg

1995- travelator area, departure hall I guess??

Those pictures are taken from the internet..

I have not seen T1 before as I am too young for that, but my dad used to work in T1 before I was even born that's why I knows that it was the ex international airport of Kuala Lumpur. I feels very sad when they demolished such a beautiful terminal building...

BTW where does the airtel located?? is it inside the terminal building itself or a separate building? It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could show pictures of the airtel...

Ahh I think I did link these pictures in skyscrapercity from the NST archive.

I wasn't born yet at that time too so I'll just make a guess:

The 3 1994 pictures (blue columns and stuff) were probably the pickup areas

And the final 1995 and 1993 pictures is probably in one of the 2 wings with aerobidge gates that was added in the 1983 renovation.

Oh and I think the 1989 picture of the conveyor belt is of Terminal 2

Edited by JonathanFong

Very unlikely to be non-stop. No aircraft have the range to go that far back then.

Probably with stops somewhere

Captain, I did fly on the 767-200 and -300 of Air NZ between AKL-SIN non-stop back in 1991, though not to CHC.

I suspect the CHC flight was originated from CHC, then stopover at AKL before proceeding to SIN. Last leg was SIN-KUL. CHC-AKL-SIN-KUL and I believe Air NZ's another route was CHC-AKL-SIN-BKK.

I think the 747-200 and 300 should have enough range to cover CHC-SIN direct?

IIRC, SQ only flew SIN-CHC direct when the A340-300 came online.

Edited by S V Choong

And Subang Airport Hotel is located just across the blue column. The hotel balconies were full of bougainvilleas.

I stayed in the Airport hotel for one night in 1991 after the AKL-BNE-KUL flight with MH DC-10-30, had to layover for our flight to Kota Kinabalu the next morning.

Yes, it was full of bougainvilleas. I remembered I walked along a connecting bridge to get to the hotel. I suspect the bridge is the one in the 3rd photo from the last (behind the two blue columns). The last photos are the travelators before the holding lounge near the gate. These travelators are for the far gates - Gate 1, 2 and 3, IIRC.

Such a beautiful terminal, it only need a good interior renovation. Don't really understand why they bulldozed it. It's got to be one of the most important buildings post independence from the Colonial rule.

I remembered in Subang before you check into your flight, you must have your bags scanned where the security will place a rectangular "inspected" sticker before you are allowed to proceed to the check-in counters. Only travellers are allowed in and folks seeing their family or friends off, must wait outside the scanner area under the huge classic flight information display board. You can hear the clicking sound when flight information are being updated! :)

Edited by S V Choong

82283e47738d5c9c6c7db77b4f2c208c.jpg

Early 1993 Air NZ's route map

From Air New Zealand's website:

February 11, 1990 : Inaugural weekly Auckland-Singapore-Kuala Lumpur service using a B767-200ER.

April 1, 1990: Air New Zealand and British Airways sign a commercial alliance effectively giving both airlines daily round-the-world services. `Streamline' connections offers flights from the UK to NZ and vice versa on either airline via the east or west, changing to the other carriers flights at Singapore, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur or Los Angeles.

November 28, 1993: Air New Zealand services to Kuala Lumpur cease.

82283e47738d5c9c6c7db77b4f2c208c.jpg

Early 1993 Air NZ's route map

From Air New Zealand's website:

February 11, 1990 : Inaugural weekly Auckland-Singapore-Kuala Lumpur service using a B767-200ER.

April 1, 1990: Air New Zealand and British Airways sign a commercial alliance effectively giving both airlines daily round-the-world services. `Streamline' connections offers flights from the UK to NZ and vice versa on either airline via the east or west, changing to the other carriers flights at Singapore, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur or Los Angeles.

November 28, 1993: Air New Zealand services to Kuala Lumpur cease.

Thanks Julius, seems like there was indeed CHC-SIN direct. Air NZ was using their B767-200ER and B767-300ER. I have been on both models between AKL-SIN. WLG-AKL was on B737-200 Adv.

Edited by S V Choong

Yes we had NZ or rather "TE" then ; even SK , SN ,JT, NW ( with MH crew) 747 - that's just b4 MH KUL-NRT-LAX, QF 747, AN 743, UT (AF later) 743 to KUL ( subang) in 1970's and 1980's .

Yes we had NZ or rather "TE" then ; even SK , SN ,JT, NW ( with MH crew) 747 - that's just b4 MH KUL-NRT-LAX, QF 747, AN 743, UT (AF later) 743 to KUL ( subang) in 1970's and 1980's .

Actually KUL route commenced in 1990. It was already NZ code back then when I flew with them.

TE code exists only prior to 1990, TE code was inherited from her former company name Tasman Empire Airways Ltd (TEAL) and NZ code from NZ National Airways Corporation (NZNAC). As stated in Wikipedia:

In 1978, the domestic airline National Airways Corporation (NAC) and its subsidiary Safe Air were merged into Air New Zealand to form a single national airline, further expanding the carrier's operations. As a result, NAC'sBoeing 737 and Fokker F27 aircraft joined Air New Zealand's fleet alongside its DC-8 and DC-10 airliners. The merger also resulted in the airline having two IATA airline designators: TE from Air New Zealand and NZ from NAC. TE continued to be used for international flights and NZ for domestic flights until 1990, when international flights assumed the NZ code.[16]

Thanks Julius, seems like there was indeed CHC-SIN direct. Air NZ was using their B767-200ER and B767-300ER. I have been on both models between AKL-SIN. WLG-AKL was on B737-200 Adv.

Hey SV Choong, you are most welcome. I left this out:

May 5, 2002: Auckland-Singapore services increase from three per week to daily with the Christchurch-Singapore link being withdrawn.
This is one of the many happenings after the Ansett Australia- Air New Zealand- Singapore Airlines drama, ending with Ansett Australia going into voluntary administration.

Hey SV Choong, you are most welcome. I left this out:

May 5, 2002: Auckland-Singapore services increase from three per week to daily with the Christchurch-Singapore link being withdrawn.
This is one of the many happenings after the Ansett Australia- Air New Zealand- Singapore Airlines drama, ending with Ansett Australia going into voluntary administration.

True. Many Australians blamed Air NZ for screwing up Ansett, it was not like Air NZ was in any good shape after Ansett went down. Air NZ had to ask the NZ government for help and cash injections (like MH did for several times).

True. Many Australians blamed Air NZ for screwing up Ansett, it was not like Air NZ was in any good shape after Ansett went down. Air NZ had to ask the NZ government for help and cash injections (like MH did for several times).

The Aussies will always blame the Kiwis. Anyway, it was a blessing for MAS in the 80s when MAS needed many pilots and they came in handy. I flew with most of them when they were promoted to DC10 and they were good.

The Aussies will always blame the Kiwis. Anyway, it was a blessing for MAS in the 80s when MAS needed many pilots and they came in handy. I flew with most of them when they were promoted to DC10 and they were good.

Who? The Aussie pilots or Kiwis?

Happy labour day....I found another video regarding subang airport

at 12:18 I sees that T1 has 3 floor, so I assume that Ground floor is for the services (like baggage conveyor etc) but I don't think there are baggage conveyor in the 1960's , 1st floor is arrival and departure and 2nd floor is the restaurants and shops?? Does anyone still remembers what kind of spaces is in each floor?