MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
S V Choong

About Subang in her heyday

When I was a kid, every year during school holidays I would make a trip westward to the nation capital and then down to Seremban to see my cousins and grandparents. My father is a west Malaysian who 'immigrated' to Sabah.

One year when I arrived at Subang, it was usually quite exciting as it means I would get to see loads of Airbus A300, DC-10s, B747s of MAS, B757, A300, A310, B727 and aircraft of other airlines, never mind the B732s....... I remember soon after the opening of Subang T2 in the mid to late 80s, there was a four-holer bird in complete white livery sitting just next to T2 and can be seen from the carpark and by the taxiway. Looks like the bird was not going anyway as I believe there was some kind of problem with it and she had to retire there (I couldn't remember exactly but part of the a/c was removed). I asked people around the airport back then, but nobody could answer it or they just didn't give a s#1t.

1. Could anyone remember this old bird? Or even recall the sighting of this bird? Anyone knows the story of this bird?

2. Could anyone also remember the crash location of Flying Tiger 747F which landed short of Subang runway? Is it somewhere around Puchong or USJ?

3. Could anyone also remember the crash location of OY-KAA Airbus A300 which flew for MAS in MAS livery, landed and crashed short of Subang again?

4. Is Terminal 1 of Subang totally demolished? What about Terminal 2?

Sorry if you find this annoying, Rozhan got me started digging into MAS' history :p

Q1. No idea. But I remembered that there was a 707 parked inside a fenced area in Kelana Jaya (it could be seen from the old highway between Subang airport towards federal hwy). At that time, most of KJ was an abandoned lombong area and open-air garbage ground. The MAS academy wasn't even built yet. The 707 was intended to be a restaurant, but the owner was forced to abandon it due to financial problems. I remember it because there the KJ lombong area route is a short cut from Subang airport into P.J.

Q2. Flying Tigers 747-249F, N807FT, crashed 2/19/1989

I remembered reading about it on papers. Some chinese press even reported about the pilot's Rolex watch was recovered, burnt but still in working condition. It crashed in rubber estate in Puchong.

The Boeing, named "Thomas Haywood", was less than half loaded with textiles, computer software and mail when it departed Singapore. Approaching Kuala Lumpur, the crew were cleared to route direct to the Kayell (KL) beacon for a runway 33 approach. While on the NDB approach, the crew were cleared to "...descend two four zero zero..." which was interpreted by the crew as "...to 400...". The aircraft descended below minimum altitude and crashed into a hillside at 600 feet/180m msl just before reaching the Kayell NDB, where minimum descent height was 2400 feet. The Boeing hit treetops and started to break up until bursting into flames.

PROBABLE CAUSE: Non-standard phraseology was used by Kuala Lumpur ATC, causing the crew to misinterpret the instructions.

More at: http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19890219-0

Q3. The A300 crashed about 1km from rwy threshold, near Kg. Melayu Subang/Kg Baru Subang (I grew up near here).

A JAL DC-9/DC-8 (all dead) also crashed in rubber estate area (Sg Buloh) about 10kms from the rwy threshold in 1977(?).

Terminal 1 has been totally demolished, including the tower and Airtel. You can check my overview photo of SZB on Airliners.net.

The Flying Tiger crashed somewhere in Puchong, which was either jungle or plantation back then. Exactly where I'm not sure.

The A300 crashed during runway 15 approach, so it should be somewhere in Kampung Subang today. Once again I don't know exactly where.

Want some history? I'll entice you with some :D

Anyway, yes I do remember seeing a B707 parked near T2 those days but If I remember correctly the tail was green. I had thought that a PIA plane went kaput as it seemed it was there forever. I never got close to see it in detail. I also heard about the intention to have a restaurant in a B707 fuselage at Kelana Jaya, somewhat like a train restaurant in then Holiday Inn KL. I think part of the fuselage did get transferred to the site, but in the end it never materialized. However there was a B747 -themed restaurant in the early 1970s near Miramar Hotel / Dewan Bahasa & Pustaka...near the traffic lights (a roundabout those days). My dad used to bring me there and it had mock-up airplane windows as the facade. I can't remember the menu in detail, but mostly like burgers and hot dogs.

The A300 disaster I remember well, but as Capt. Radzi said it was near Kampung Subang today. At that time it was reported to be near what was then called Kg Melayu Subang. I actually recorded the news from TV3 using VCR but I don't know where it is already. Amazing everyone survived that crash.

I was disturbed to learn that T1 was demolished after seeing Capt. Radzi's pic some time ago. It was so unbelievable to see bare earth colours where the terminal once stood, after hearing so much plans for it when it became idle upon opening of KLIA. There were plans for a bus terminal lah, an exhibition centre with its own runway lah, a shopping center lah!!! I had so much memories there as a kid. We used to send off family members overseas and I would always rush up the stairs to see planes more than anything else. Before renovations for the aerobridges, there was a circular viewing deck where one could watch planes parked just 'downstairs' and could wave to them before they board the aircraft.

And then there were the fixtures of the airport. At one time there were these ball-shaped clocks jutting out from spikes showing world times, and the Rothman's logo.

One event of historical significance was when the 'jenazah' or body of the late Tun Abdul Razak, our second PM, was flown in from London on a MAS B707. I was there and there was a huge, huge crowd. I also witnessed the 'menepung tawar' or blessings for the first MAS DC-10-30 when it arrived. I wished I had photographs of those.

Other faint memories I have of Subang are seeing BOAC's VC-10 and B747. And yes, the MSA B737s as well. My chest felt the vibrations whenever those planes with roaring engines took off!

There is a film by the late Tan Sri P. Ramlee called 'Jangan Tinggal Daku'. Towards the end of the film, there is some footage of Subang in the late 1960s, complete with a Malaysian Airways Comet plane.

But anyway, below are some pictures of our old Subang Airport to help us rekindle our memories. They were taken in early to mid 1980s. Sorry the pictures are not very clear as my prints are starting to show age. 20+ years old already....

Subang during renovation works

SZB.jpg

MAS DC-10-30

SZBDC-10-30.jpg

9M-MHJ in hangar, taken from a moving airport bus to the terminal

SZB9M-MHJ.jpg

9M-MHB near Terminal 2

SZBA300B49M-MHB3.jpg

SIA B727 Adv near Terminal 1, before renovations. Taken in 1981. Look at those red US made ground support vehicles.

SZBSIA727Advanced.jpg

I heard there were some spiral stairs (not quite, but they looked kinda like that) outside of the T1 building before they removed that when T1 was in renovation right?

Too bad all's gone in the wind... :( I never entered that terminal before, only T2 and T3... :( :(

Also, great pictures Rozhan! :)

Rozhan's and Foo's posts bring back the memories.

I remember T1 used to have open air viewing deck with the black railings. Then they installed the glass enclosures, still open air (though not as noisy and classic as before).

Anyone remembered the fire that destroyed the ATC tower in mid 90s? Second fire also occured, fire was deliberately started from a toilet.

As for the A300 - it crashed in a swampy/river bed area near Kg Melayu Subang. Kg Baru Subang is on the other side of the old trunk road from Sg Buloh towards the RMAF base.

As for Miramar - there used to be a bowling center there too in 70s/early 80s.

In the 80s/90s, there were several seafood restaurants built along the road parallel to the runway. I remembered we used to stop our cars to watch any a/c that was taxiing after landing.

Great pictures Mr Rozhan! Any more? I love MAS planes in the old red livery!

Thanks for the comments. Subang T1 in its original form had two straight staircases at each end of the building, going straight to the viewing area, and a spiral-like staircase at the middle if I recall correctly. There could be more...my memory fails me when they started having the renovations and put up escalators. Yes, the viewing deck area with black railings, the black rubber flooring with raised bumps like polka dots.... And it had the Balai Tiba Utara (North Arrival Hall) and Balai Tiba Selatan (South Arrival Hall) when departures and arrivals were all on the same floor.

The ATC fires I think were acts of arson. There was also the lack of radar as a result and some help from a mobile radar or something was needed then. Must have been a trying period for the ATC people....the job itself is already stressful.

I think I may have more pics but they are in deep storage. I'll try to post some when I get to dig up the archives.

Polka dots...I remembered that one. Its one of its kind I've encountered in any building.

Anyone recall the following:

- rectangular fountains.

- Airtel (airport hotel).

- the canteen at the end of T1, where they sell cheaper food compared to those in the departure lounge.

Many thanks for the info guys! That solved my mystery about the Boeing 707 which I have been waiting for an answer for at least a decade.

So is Terminal 3 still operational? Which airline is T3 serving? I suppose the latest SZB control tower is in T3?

I really miss Subang T1 very much, although I am not a fan of the longish layout of the T2 which you had to catch buses to reach the a/c. If you guys look carefully at the structure of Subang, there is a similarity of structure as it is in KLIA. The architect, Kurokawa, may have used Subang as a precedent.

Now that you guys mentioned it, I do remember the polka dots of Subang and the black balustrade (railing as referred by you guys) and of course the spiral ramp at the centre of the airside. So people literally walk down the ramp to take their plane. I remember that the spiral ramp is very much the architectural feature of the building. But sadly it has taken so much space which they had to take down. But I suppose you guys must have seen the remnants of the spiral ramp. Remember when Subang T1 was renovated with 2 wings, one to left the other one to the right. The central 'building' still had some ramp leading down to the ground, it wasn't entirely demolised as far as I can remember. That certainly brought back the fond memories of the old days.

Do you guys like the renaming of Subang to Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport? I personally think it is pointless unless it is named from the beginning! Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah is just too long for a name. By the way, which state was he from (my guess is Selangor, correct?)? Why was his named used on the airport instead of the other Sultans? Is he of any importance?

Yes Denny, I stayed at the Airport hotel next to Subang T1 when I returned from New Zealand at the end of 1991. It was my first time to take MAS' DC-10-30 which had to make a stop at Brisbane between Auckland and Kuala Lumpur. Had to stay in the airport hotel (which was not a great hotel but very expensive almost M$300 back then).

Rozhan, your photos actually bring back some nostalgic and fond memories. I like the 2nd phase of the 1st livery of MAS better, as the two cheatlines carried all the way back to the tail and with larger and more visible MALAYSIAN letters. Also the three holer DC-10 carries a "m a s" letters on engine 2, which I think looks quite neat!

I have a magazine about MAS and there are a couple of MAS' old fleet photos taken around Subang. I will look it up and scan them..... I think I might have left it at Wellington, so don't count on me....

Please post more photos if any of you have it!

Oh by the way, does anyone still remember the old balcony/corridor around the terminal? One can exit the terminal and walk along the corridor and the glass facade to view planes? The balcony/corridor almost cover the entire perimeter of the building, but obviously they wouldn't let you complete the walk around the perimeter of the building. :)

If the perimeter balcony exists today, this will be a heaven for spotters.

just a few things about subang in the old days....i lived in ss14/3 subang in the 80s...just underneath the flight path of subang....

i miss the aeroflot IL-62, CSA IL-62, JAT DC-10, Sabena DC-10, TK A310, BA Tristar, RJ Tristar, UTA 747, SQ 757, QF 747/767, NZ 767, LZ 767, KU 767, Air seychelles 767, MK 74L.....man....those were the days...

anyways....the 707 in kelana jaya was a PIA aircraft that got written off during landing at subang...i remember seeing it in KJ and wondering when the restaurant was going to open..

there was a restaurant near the airtel that was really good....my parents used to take me to shiraz for good north indian meals....i've not tasted anything as good as that until now! (they also used to have a branch near MARA HQ in KL)...

i went to see the A300 when it crashed...it was just across the road from the runway...

surprised everyone survived it! didn't have a camera then....

the JAL DC-8 had survivors..... a few died but many were treated in KLGH....

i know that because my dad was the trauma registrar in KLGH at that time!

and the reason subang is named Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah is because he was the sultan of selangor.... just like sultan abdul halim shah in AOR, or sultan mahmud in TGG ....

there was a restaurant near the airtel that was really good....my parents used to take me to shiraz for good north indian meals....i've not tasted anything as good as that until now! (they also used to have a branch near MARA HQ in KL)...

I remember about the Shiraz at Medan Tuanku, near kompleks pertama/odeon cinema. As for beriyani, the best I've tasted is the one from Restoran Yusof in Kg Baru (they also have a branch in Stadium Merdeka in 80s).

Guest Fendy

rozhan, nice pictures. really nostalgic. i think i have some pics from SZB too and might upload soon.

I was among the privilledged few who managed to fly out of SZB before KUL was officially opened. I flew SZB-LAX in 1997, and when I returned to Msia for summer holiday in 1998, I landed in the spanking new KLIA.

Rozhan,

Thanks a lot for sharing the pics mate! smile.gif I've always wanted to see & know more of this airport 'back in the days',eversince watching it in old black & white films!

I suggest setting up a gallery for Nostalgia here. rolleyes.gif

Okay, when was Subang actually built? I remember it was 1963 or 1968, isn't that correct?

When was T2 and T3 built?\

Please keep the photos coming!

I remember my last ever use of Subang, sometime in February 1998 on a flight from Langkawi. I knew it was going to be final time so I tried to absorb the atmosphere as much as I could, the sights and sounds of a place I grew fond of and started my interest in planes

I have an old First Day Cover of the opening of Subang Airport. Here are some facts taken from the FDC booklet:

- FDC stamp dated 30 August 1965...must be the opening date, a day before Hari Merdeka

- Opened by DYMM Agong (King) at that time

- Part of 2nd Malaysia Plan

- Civil Engineering works by Public Works Dept (JKR)

- Site preparation involved moving a village to a new location, clearing 500 acres of rubber plantation and excavation of 6.5 million cubic feet of soil

- Runway and parallel taxiway constructed by Messrs. Gammon-Hawaiian Dredging-Pomeroy

- Total paving is 550,000 sq yards

- Airport complex covers 540 acres

- Equipped with VOR / DME with instrument landing system

- Terminal and ancillary buildings designed by Malaysian firm of architecs - Messrs. Booty, Edwards & Partners. Total area including control tower was approx 350,000 sq ft

- Control Tower height at 134 ft

- Largest project in South East Asia, completed within 30 months at a total cost of M$52 million.

Sad its gone now.

I can't remember exactly when T2 and T3 were built. What I do remember was an additional terminal was built to accomodate Haj flights...I think it was T2, but subsequently made for KUL / SIN shuttle and domestic flights when T1 was reserved for international.

Here is a postcard from my collection. Shows Subang in the 1970s with the much loved B737-2H6 registration 9M-AQP and a KLM DC-8.

user posted image

Yes Rozhan, Subang was opened in 1965 according to my book "Post Merdeka Architecture of Malaysia". Thanks for the info, many of the architects at that time was British expatriates. Now these architecture firm may not exist anymore.

Largest Airport in South East Asia, wow wink.gif That is of course before the opening of Changi in the early 1980s.

By the way, what happened to the Pakistan 707 that was written off at Subang? Was there any kind of incident?

I have also seen photos of MSA DeHavilland Comet parked at Subang. Did the Comet ever use Simpang as a port of call?

Subang Airport photos:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

I love SZB too,so many memories and the best thing about it is it's not a massive airport like KLIA now,we fell much more closer to the planes and runway,remember the design of the international departure hall?directly facing the runway,heaven for spotters i must say!i read an old article from Mastika's earlier edition about MAS's employees on strike in SZB in the 70's ,cant remember what's the cause though.

Sourced from kiat.net http://www.kiat.net/

HISTORY OF KLIA - A CHRONOLOGY OF EVENTS

An Imperial Airways' Armstrong Whitley Atlanta aircraft 'Aurora', which landed at Sungai Besi Airfield, Kuala Lumpur, was probably the first commercial aircraft of an international service to use the aerodrome. The Sungai Besi Airfield (originally an old tin tailing mine covered by grass) was one of the two airstrips located in Selangor, the other being at Port Sweetenham (now Port Klang).

Improvement of the Sungai Besi Airfield which was commissioned as an all-purpose landing ground, ".... a conditioned area 600 yards by 800 yards oriented approximately North East-South West " and was licensed for light and medium aircraft "up to a gross weight of 5,500 lbs."

1 Aug 1948

Expansion of the Kuala Lumpur Airport at Sungai Besi.

(The Terminal building was for many years an atap shed. Communications equipment were unreliable and often aircraft landed without traffic control! Biggest aircraft used then was DC-3).

user posted image

Kuala Lumpur International Airport (1948) at Sungai Besi

Late 1959

Proposal to construct the Kuala Lumpur International Airport at Subang mooted.

30 Aug 1965

Official opening of the RM52 million Kuala Lumpur International Airport at Subang by Duli Yang Maha Mulia Seri Paduka Baginda Yang Dipertuan Agong, Tuanku Syed Putra Ibni al Marhum Syed Hassan Jamalullail.

user posted image

Kuala Lumpur International Airport (1965) at Subang

Introduction of Primary Radar for air traffic control in Kuala Lumpur.

3 Apr 1982

Launching ceremony for the first MAS B747 at Terminal 2, Subang-Kuala Lumpur by the Prime Minister.

16 Apr 1982

Terminal 1 Subang-Kuala Lumpur closed for renovation.

1 Jun 1983

Terminal 1 Subang-Kuala Lumpur opened for operations.

Interim development of Subang-Kuala Lumpur International Airport Terminal 1 to accommodate larger aircraft.

1Dec 1989

Reopening of Terminal 2, Subang-Kuala Lumpur International Airport for domestic services.

Jul 1991

Announcement of the proposal plan to construct the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) at Sepang.

29 May 1993

Establishment of Kuala Lumpur International Airport Berhad (KLIA Bhd), a corporate body wholly-owned by the Government to oversee and manage the construction of the new Kuala Lumpur International Airport at Sepang, Selangor.

16 Dec 1993

Opening of Terminal 3, Subang-Kuala Lumpur International Airport and closing of Terminal 2 for refurbishment (expected to be ready by the end of 1994).

(On completion of the Subang-Kuala Lumpur Interim Development, Terminal 1 will be designated for international traffic; Terminal 2, Singapore shuttle; and Terminal 3, domestic).

1 Jan 1994

Formation of Malaysia Airports (Niaga) Sdn. Bhd. (MAN), a subsidiary of MAB, to participate in duty free retail operations at Subang-Kuala Lumpur International Airport.

15 Jan 1995

Reopening of Terminal 2 for Kuala Lumpur / Singapore shuttle flights by MAS and SIA.

user posted image

27 Jun 1998 - KLIA at Sepang opens

KL International Airport, Sepang was lauched by the King, Yang di-Pertuan Agong Tuanku Ja'afar. It was a moment of reckoning as the new airport, sparkling like a fairyland and visible from as far as 15kms away, beckoned the 1500 spectators who came to witness its opening.

16 Sept 1998

The Bunga Raya Complex, named after Malaysia's national flower, was opened by the Yang DiPertuan Agong, Tuanku Ja'afar. Built at a cost of RM80 million, the complex boasts a reception hall, private VVIP suites, a multi-function room and a media briefing room.

19 Sept 1998

Transport Minister Dato' Seri Dr Ling Liong Sik, officially launched the second runway at the KL International Airport. With this RM 136 million runway in full operation, KLIA now offers simultaneous landings and take-offs, thus speeding up the growth for tourism and commerce in this country.

Before the Advent of the second runway, KLIA could only accommodate 40 to 45 aircraft per hour. Now it can handle 65 to 67 planes on a segregated mode, in which one runway is used solely for arrivals, the other for departures and approximately 90 to 100 planes in mixed mode every hour. This runway is 4000m long and 60 m wide and allows for all types of aircraft without payload restriction. As it is fitted with state-or-the-art aeronautical ground lighting, aircraft can land in all weather conditions.

As with all KLIA endeavours, it is envisioned that the latest service will establish the airport as a regional leader in air transportation.

20 Sept 1998

Queen Elizabeth II and her husband, the Duke of Edinburgh Prince Philip arrived via the modern KL International Airport for the Kuala Lumpur 98 Commonwealth Games closing ceremony. She was one of the first guests of the new Bunga Raya VVIP Complex.

The story continues..... smile.gif

Thanks for the Subang photos and historical highlights. We have a rich history of aviation indeed. I don't know what happened to the PIA plane, but if it was to be left idle these days, I'm sure it'll be gone in no time now that metal is expensive biggrin.gif

I haven't found any vintage pictures of the Comet at Simpang so far. I have seen some old postcards of it at eBay but were either in Subang, Singapore or elsewhere. However check out Air Ceylon Comet registration G-APDC at A.net (ID 332049 and 333145). It states the location at Subang but the background doesn't look like Subang and the pictures were dated 1963. Could it be Simpang? It looks like it!

According to a coffeetable book "Airborne: The Evolution and Birth of Malaysia Airlines" by Ranjit Gill, in its historical highlights, the Comet was introduced in 1962. So there is a possibility that Simpang hosted them since Subang only started operations in 1965.

I agree with Razif that spotting at Subang was a real heaven. One can see the touchdown right in front. And the smoking tyres add to the thrill smile.gif

Indeed the photos of Air Ceylon comet you mentioned does not look like Subang at all. By the way..... MSA only came into existence after the separation of Singapore from the Federation of Malaysia.

So may be the Comet did not ever arrive at Simpang with MSA livery. Very much doubt that the short runway of Simpang could accomodate the Comet comfortably.

From Wikipaedia:

Following the independence of Singapore from Malaysia, it was renamed Malaysia-Singapore Airlines (MSA) in 1966. MSA ceased operations in 1972 after the formation of two separate entities - Malaysian Airline System (MAS) and Singapore Airlines. The Singaporean Government wanted to develop its international operations, while Malaysia wanted the airline to first focus on domestic and regional growth before finally becoming fully international. The airline needs of the two countries were not compatible.

When MSA was split up, the assets of the former MSA were divided unequally, though Singapore was made to pay for substantial amount of the imbalance. Singapore Airlines kept all the Boeing 737s and 707s, all international routes out of Singapore and MSA's high rise headquarters in Singapore. MAS was left with only a handful of Fokker F27s, domestic Malaysian routes, and international routes out of Malaysia, beginning service on those routes on 1 October 1972.

In 1987 the airline began using its current name (Malaysia Airlines), though the acronym MAS remained in use.

These planes used to have SZB as their hub...

9M-MCQ ( one of three B707s ever owned by MAS)

user posted image

9M-MCR ( one of three B707s ever owned by MAS)

user posted image

9M-MCS ( one of three B707s ever owned by MAS)

user posted image

9M-MCE

user posted image

9M-MBA (Delivered as 9M-AQL)

user posted image

9M-MBE (Delivered as 9M-AQP)

user posted image

9M-MBG

user posted image

9M-MBH

user posted image

9M-MBP, ex-Sabena