MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
S V Choong

About Subang in her heyday

The consturction of SZB, took place when Tun Sardon Jubir took office as Transport Minister. Not sure who mooted the idea tho, but he was vehemently criticized for having the project finished. People seemed to think that the airport project would be a white-elphant project, in which it turned out otherwise. It thrived big time until it prompted PM Mahathir to build the RM9b airport in Sepang.

I am not sure, however on the decision of demolishing T1, whether it was done with enough sensibility owing its great historical value to Malaysia's rich aviation history. I stand corrected.

Has anyone here been on the Aeroflot IL-62 on the Moscow-Dubai-Kuala Lumpur?

What was the service like? Would imagine it was really difficult to obtain a visa to go to the USSR. Not that it is any easier to obtain a visa to enter the Russian Federation today!

replying to a post from 2 years ago FTW!

i have flown the IL62M KUL-DXB-SVO vv back in the day. the picture i posted was actually prior to boarding. yes, it was difficult to get a visa back then, however i had diplomatic contacts at the time (story for another day)

from my fuzzy memory, it was a real experience to fly on them. very vintage in terms of aircraft and service. meals as i recall were much worse than what you get in the MH snackboxes today, and seats made today's non-reclinable cramped EY seats seem like la-z-boys (: but as a true blue aviation fan, it was an experience i was glad to have had. even managed to get an in-flight cockpit visit (no, i was not allowed to have a turn at the controls :help: )

let me dig up my old photos and see if i have anymore pics from this flight...

I remember in the early 80s until 90s a visit to SZB was always in our itinerary when we made a trip from hometown in Perak to KL (on average once a year). I have seen CX & RJ L-1011 Tristar, AF (or UTA) B747 (which i think it continued to New Caledonia), PIA B742, JAT DC10 (IIRC), Ansett B743, BA B744, LH B744, QF B737, SQ A310 & B757, and of course, MH B742, B743, A300, DC10, B732, F27

The only way I found out the flight schedule for airlines fly to KUL was through yellowpage !!

replying to a post from 2 years ago FTW!

i have flown the IL62M KUL-DXB-SVO vv back in the day. the picture i posted was actually prior to boarding. yes, it was difficult to get a visa back then, however i had diplomatic contacts at the time (story for another day)

from my fuzzy memory, it was a real experience to fly on them. very vintage in terms of aircraft and service. meals as i recall were much worse than what you get in the MH snackboxes today, and seats made today's non-reclinable cramped EY seats seem like la-z-boys (: but as a true blue aviation fan, it was an experience i was glad to have had. even managed to get an in-flight cockpit visit (no, i was not allowed to have a turn at the controls :help: )

let me dig up my old photos and see if i have anymore pics from this flight...

Thanks Fendy. Hope you find some photos of your trip to SVO to share. Look forward for some. Must have been one good experience to visit the USSR/ Russia during then?

thanks ;)

Hey I have some photos of Subang and during it's construction ;)

photo15e.jpg

There use to be a surau, next to T1

photo13c.jpg

photo12nj.jpg

photo10.jpg

T1, bird eye view

photo9o.jpg

During her opening :p

photo14k.jpg

photo8vg.jpg

Tunku visit the airport, during it's construction

photo7tc.jpg

photo6n.jpg

photo5noi.jpg

86143153.th.jpg

photo4h.jpg

photo2md.jpg

Cheers Subzero (from Mortal Kombat?) :)

Edited by S V Choong

hi guys...i'm doing a civil engineering project on a historical site for my year 2...so i decided to choose the subang airport...it means a lot to me too i took my first flight to singapore at subang when i was 6 :D i was wondering any ideas on where can i find information on the airport? i tried going to MAHB but they're a pain in the ass and the local libraries don't quite have much info :(

Guys, anyone can enlighten me why there's still MH jet operation in SZB ( year 99-00 ).

DSC03544_zps40cd0600.jpg

DSC03543_zpse8a59171.jpg

DSC03542_zps0506a7ab.jpg

Yes..there were at least 2 flights a day from Subang to domestic destinations especially for business commuters, pergi pagi balik petang thing. There were a few 734 based in SZB before MH decided to relocate its operation to KUL.

:)

If i recall correctly, people were complaining when MH moved to KUL. So to cushion the impact to travellers MH decided to offer limited services from SZB for a short while. At that time all operations were already frm KUL so there was a little U turn.

Yes..there were at least 2 flights a day from Subang to domestic destinations especially for business commuters, pergi pagi balik petang thing. There were a few 734 based in SZB before MH decided to relocate its operation to KUL.

:)

If i recall correctly, people were complaining when MH moved to KUL. So to cushion the impact to travellers MH decided to offer limited services from SZB for a short while. At that time all operations were already frm KUL so there was a little U turn.

Affendi and Rozhan, thanks!! :)

That is correct, 2 flight from SZB each day to main domestic destinations. I used to take these flight to PEN and return. And you still can get a night economy (last flight) at around 2335 for about RM97 or something like that, payment made through Maybank ATM.

duh! of course im very sure about it. i had the experiences not once but twice! first was to JHB and second to KBR

That would cost MAS unnecessary expenses to ferry the aircraft from KUL to SZB every morning for the following day's flights!

In those days bookings were still done mainly through travel agents or ticketing offices. I still remember my dad asking the agent "Ini landing mana?" (Where is this flight gonna land?) And the answer was "Ini Subang. Encik nak landing kat mana? KLIA or Subang?" (This one goes to Subang. You want KLIA or Subang?) We chose KLIA since we wanted to experience the new airport. Those were the days..

Edited by Mulyadir Fitri

duh! of course im very sure about it. i had the experiences not once but twice! first was to JHB and second to KBR

I still doubt it. You may have just taken the one of the two-flights-a-day from SZB to peninsula M'sia domestic flights, and then merely taken the other domestic flights that operate to/from KLIA to return to KL.

Edited by Mushrif A

My dad remembers when they first moved from Sg Besi to Subang... the general sentiment was.. "what? so far away?" The same feeling when KLIA first opened. People will get used to it after a while.

They even had a weird system where departures were from SZB while arrivals were in KUL

That is correct, 2 flight from SZB each day to main domestic destinations. I used to take these flight to PEN and return. And you still can get a night economy (last flight) at around 2335 for about RM97 or something like that, payment made through Maybank ATM.

I operated during the MH SZB run. 2 flights per day to all domestic destinations except IPH. All SZB flights were prefixed 19xx (or 29xx for flights to Borneo). Those days B734 would be doing maintenance in SZB, so aircraft operating ex SZB were all prior to or just after doing the maintenance works. They would be based in SZB for a few days. No such thing as ferry flight KUL-SZB for operation only, but we did some KUL-SZB vv flights for maintenance reason.

I wonder if anyone has seen this craft at Kelaua Jaya Park (Kelana Jaya Park?). Does anyone have more info? Azmal? Is it still there? Or has it gone to the scrap metal place? Thanks for the photos Azmal, by the way!

I was reading through this forum yesterday and was interested in the story of the ex-Royal Fiji Boeing 707, did some digging and found a news extract from News Strait Time dating back from 1990,

ps : I am new here so i don't know how to knit the image to the forum

Edited by Z. Zaini

I was reading through this forum yesterday and was interested in the story of the ex-Royal Fiji Boeing 707, did some digging and found a news extract from News Strait Time dating back from 1990,

file:///Users/doublez/Desktop/New%20Straits%20Times%20-%20Google%20News%20Archive%20Search%202015-10-20%2021-21-07.jpg

You might want to upload the image to an image hosting site. Flickr and Photobucket are some of the examples.

ps : I am new here so i don't know how to knit the image to the forum

oh i remember it. At one stage it had a green coat of paint (or was it rust) i dunno, but it was sitting there for the longest longest time.

Thanks for reviving this old thread, Zaini.

I found a bit of history of the plane. Apparently the green was the cheatline of former Pakistan International Airlines (PIA)'s colours.

Read the full history here.

http://www.skystef.be/B707/OO-SJP.htm

Impounded due to unpaid fees.

Moved to Kelana Jaya park for display before being broken up, anyone seen it at Kelana Jaya park before?

You might want to upload the image to an image hosting site. Flickr and Photobucket are some of the examples.

Thanks for the suggestion

Thanks for reviving this old thread, Zaini.

I found a bit of history of the plane. Apparently the green was the cheatline of former Pakistan International Airlines (PIA)'s colours.

Read the full history here.

http://www.skystef.be/B707/OO-SJP.htm

Impounded due to unpaid fees.

Moved to Kelana Jaya park for display before being broken up, anyone seen it at Kelana Jaya park before?

This thread is certainly worthy for being an achieve especially for me whom did not manage to enjoy the heyday of SZB

anyway, i manage to upload the image into Photobucket

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx6/Zharif_Zaini/New%20Straits%20Times%20-%20Google%20News%20Archive%20Search%202015-10-20%2021-21-07_zpsmf484d0j.jpg

according to the news article, the 707 was finally moved to Klang to be broken up

I just found some video regaring T1

unfortunately I was born after all this =( I love the pre annoucement chime, (you can hear it at the 2nd video)

Edited by Conor