MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
S V Choong

About Subang in her heyday

The first day they were in their hotel, which is located on an island in the middle of the river, they complained about the quality of the food. The next day their meal improved vastly. They suspected the minder had passed on the message and NK was trying to save face

Saved face or not, you have to admit it was excellent service recovery response :p

Another clip of an MH B732 at SZB, c1975, at time 7:19

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3huUCv0G5o&feature=related

A pic at Subang I think this one was...of an infamous aircraft's starboard wing:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/toni_uni/3726366489/

Edited by H Azmal

Take a look at this video, starting at time 3:39

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_M3N8b9ajA&feature=related

At 4:57 in the clip, we see the parents' son, who's just arrived from London, walking on the tarmac into the airport. In the still, his bag has the old 1970s-early 80s oblong-shaped MAS tag on it (circled).

3980144933_26f217425c.jpg

I remember visiting my grandparents' house in KL years ago and rummaging through their store room, which housed all their old, hard-shell luggage from since time immemorial. One of them still had an old MAS tag attached to it, which I nicked and kept for posterity. But I was never able to determine the exact period in which that particular tag design was used, till I saw the clip above.

3980884288_63d38b75a2.jpg 3980889028_beda50d3d0.jpg

The tags are a perfect match, so now I know that it was used around 1979, when that movie was filmed!

Though in the clip, the son is returning from London on MH893 via Kuwait. My grandparents flew the same route (unsure about the Kuwait stopover though), though their flight number was MH3/4 - the same as today's LHR sector nos. Perhaps MH893, like the airport announcement in the clip, is just a filmographical prop that was made up for filming purposes? Even if so, did MH's LHR flights transit in Kuwait back in the day?

Baggage tag of the type you have was used throughout the 70s and 80s. There were also blue ones for first class and VIP.

Edited by Rozhan

Hai G'Day...

Thank you abg Hafizi, SV and KC Sim provide the url and pics of old MAS aircarft...really appreciate it.. :good: :good:

abg Hafizi,,where did you found the pic of A310-304 as F-ODVF (cn 445),,first flight was on 09 Sep 1987??

Been long time I search for the photo to see how she look like,,because she with MAS only about 5 months (May-Oct 1990) and leased from Royal Jordanian..That only info I have about the only A310 MAS ever have..

Also 1st time I see the blue line livery of B737-229 as 9M-MBP (cn21176/431) with MAS from May 89 to May 90...lesed from Sabena...

And the YU-ANP, B737-2K3 (23912/1401) with MAS from Dec 89 to Apr 90,leased from Aviogenex..

Does anybody know why that short of time MAS had leased those a/c during that time??

Good to know also you fan to old MAS old livery...The only I can do now is to collect such models for my collection for next generation..hehe..I have some and wish to collect all the classic models have released before,,but it really hard to get by now...

Mr Rozhan,,love to read your old memories and your collected items...Thank u for sharing...But i cant see the old photos on ur PB on 1st page of this thread...

By now when see the new exhibition room at the former T1 site,,i bit sad to know the terminal no longer exist by now...More less same as Skypark Terminal...all memories to be shared base on pix and story only...:( :(

Ashmil, sorry I have deleted the pics from photobucket some time ago. I still have the scanned pics in my harddrive and will try to look it up and repost for the benefit of viewers in this thread.

A few days ago I passed by Skypark and was amazed at the transformation. But I still miss Terminal 1. In my mind it was outrageous for the gov to demolish a building that witnessed a lot of the nation's history. They might as well demolish the iconic KL railway station now that there is KL Sentral!!

Ashmil, these are the pictures I believe I posted 4 years ago. Hope you enjoy them... excuse the quality though. They were scanned from 28+ year old pictures, some taken with a Fujica camera using 110 catridge film ( heard of this? :D).

SZB.jpg

SZBDC-10-30.jpg

Pics above are of Subang during extension work for aerobridges. I think this was in late 1981 / early 1982. (Canon AF35M)

SZBAeroflotIL-62M.jpg

Pride of the Soviet Union. At one time reputed to be the largest airline in the world. Can't remember their frequency into then KUL. Flew them once LHR-KUL via SVO and KHI. (Canon AF35M)

SZBTGA300BA742.jpg

Miss BA? (Pocket Fujica 300)

SZBSIA727Advanced.jpg

Taken January 1981 (Canon AF35M)

SZB9M-MHJ.jpg

A300 & B742 in hangar 1982. (Nikon F3)

Pics below of 9M-MHB ready for next flight. Taken in 1982. Now available in scale model by Aero Classics but in later cheatline. (Nikon F3)

SZBA300B49M-MHB1.jpg

SZBA300B49M-MHB2.jpg

SZBA300B49M-MHB3.jpg

Wah !

Thank you very much for that blast of nostalgic fix :good:

Yes, one from generation that has used 110 cartridges before :)

(and walked on parking aprons or was bussed to/fro as routine rather than exception)

Remember the quantum leap feeling when aerobridges were installed at Subang ?

Iirc, BKI and KCH followed suit a few years later

Impression back then was that aerobridges signify elevation to 'big airport' status :D

Ashmil, these are the pictures I believe I posted 4 years ago. Hope you enjoy them... excuse the quality though. They were scanned from 28+ year old pictures, some taken with a Fujica camera using 110 catridge film ( heard of this? :D).

Thank you so much Mr Rozhan for your effort to scan, re-upload the photos and share the memories back. I really appreciate it. Nice to see the old photos especially last photo and the BA at KUL during that time. I believe the BA made a stop at KUL for London and Aussie route and vv right?

BTW where the hangar (at photo #6) located? It is between T1 and T2 or located at Kompleks A (now MAS Headquarter office)? Does somebody can recall back when the cargo complex at Subang was open?

Thank you.

BC Tam, still have a 110 camera :)? Still keep mine, 2 actually. Miss those simple days. Bought a dozen of those 110 films from a UK outlet some years ago just for keeps. Not many labs have the necessary negative carrier to print them these days.

SV Choong. The flares? Helps keep the apron clean perhaps :D

Ashmil, the hangar was between terminal 1 and terminal 2. Is it still standing? I can't remember if BA continued its journey to Australia. My experience on BA were just between UK and North America. I was happy flying MAS those days and did not consider flying other carriers if MAS was available. Sekarang lain cerita lah :)

BC Tam, still have a 110 camera :)?

Not certain, if I do, then it's probably well embedded amongst the collections classified as 'junk but yet to sort out for sentimental value' :) Those sort of stuff take like years if not decades before they are stirred, then hibernate for similar periods again ..... and again :D

The flares? Helps keep the apron clean perhaps :D

Good news perhaps then - I understand flares are making a fashion comeback :D

I can't remember if BA continued its journey to Australia

I recall my first journey to UK was on BA - boarded in SIN, transit at KUL, New Delhi, some mid-east stop (was too sick and groggy by then to care where) then London Heathrow T3. No idea if the flight originated from Aussie land or not

That was back in 1979 - when 110 film cartridges were the consumer market standard and flares were (sort of) obligatory :D

I remember my father was trying to secure a visa to the People's Republic of China so that he could accompany my grandfather to return to our ancestral hometown for a visit during the 80s. It was proved all too difficult as they had an age restriction, plus as a Chinese, you would not want to mistaken yourself with the Malaysian Communists guerillas at that time. At the end he gave up and he died before China opened her doors

Oh dear, what a bummer - did your grandfather manage to make the journey eventually ?

Must be something about visiting one's ancestral hometown isn't it ? I recall my dad wasted no time making his way back after Malaysia lifted travel restrictions (I believe China opened up a few years before that) It must have been quite something for him to be able to subsequently bring not just his children but also grandkids eventually to visit 'the house' (derelict though it may be nowadays) :)

Sorry, sorry, way OT here !

Edited by BC Tam

Ashmil, the hangar was between terminal 1 and terminal 2. Is it still standing? I can't remember if BA continued its journey to Australia. My experience on BA were just between UK and North America. I was happy flying MAS those days and did not consider flying other carriers if MAS was available. Sekarang lain cerita lah :)

Yes there lots of hangar along SZB's runway these day. But the one on your 6th picture I have no idea if the same structure still standing. Could be this one,

FY208907Jun09_073_04795_edited-1.jpg

Since T1 no longer there and government aim Subang become hub of MRO in this region, then another hangar can be seen.

Transmile hangar

FY208907Jun09_074_04802_edited-1.jpg

Cessna Citaion Hangar and Berjaya Air hangar

FY208907Jun09_072_04790_edited-1.jpg

Behind these hangar is MAS Catering facility perviously I guess,same as your 8th photo.

Had no idea hangar belong to who but most of MASwings F50 in that hangar.

FY208907Jun09_071_04789_edited-1.jpg

After the hangar 01 on picture above is access road/taxiway to the cargo complex and MAS's hangar.

SZB AFRS, just behind T2

FY208907Jun09_075_04807_edited-1.jpg

All pictures above were taken on Jul 09.

anybody know where is former T1 boundary located?

The BA UK-KL-Aussie route somewhere around mid 80's, base on NetGeo Air Crash Investigation show.

Edited by Ashmil Abd Ghani

And while we are on the topic of nostalgia, found this clip showing Singapore's Paya Lebar airport in 1969. Frankly I don't quite recall how Paya Lebar used to look like, but I certainly don't recall it having any open air check-in/ticketing areas... you can see CSA, BOAC, Alitalia, Air New Zealand, Thai, Qantas counters and signages in the background!

I don't think there was ever any boarding announcements made in Cantonese!! haha

Take note also of the comet in MSA livery!

Paya Lebar Airport from 2:16 onwards... you'll have to excuse the atrociously unnatural acting!

Edited by S. Huang

And while we are on the topic of nostalgia, found this clip showing Singapore's Paya Lebar airport in 1969. Frankly I don't quite recall how Paya Lebar used to look like, but I certainly don't recall it having any open air check-in/ticketing areas... you can see CSA, BOAC, Alitalia, Air New Zealand, Thai, Qantas counters and signages in the background!

I don't think there was ever any boarding announcements made in Cantonese!! haha

this may be of interest to you then...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ2wx38piIw

FY208907Jun09_071_04789_edited-1.jpg

Thanks for posting the pictures Ashmil. Looking at the above pic, I believe the hangar is in the background of the red-tailed Fokker. The shape looks like it, and it looks vintage. If you are to look at my last picture, to the right you can see the nose of the B747 facing the hangar. Between the hangar and the A300 is another smaller hangar which corresponds to the above picture. To be really sure, if the bigger one can fit an Airbus A300, then it is it!

IIRC, many, many years ago as in early 1980s, MAS Catering had its building next to the carpark of Terminal 1. The background in the A300 pic was terminal 2 which I believe used for KUL-SIN flights during the time T1 was renovated to install the aerobridges. T3 was built for domestic flights, while all international flights used T1 exclusively after the renovations. T2 was then used for Hajj flights.

Guest subzero

thanks ;)

Hey I have some photos of Subang and during it's construction ;)

photo15e.jpg

There use to be a surau, next to T1

photo13c.jpg

photo12nj.jpg

photo10.jpg

T1, bird eye view

photo9o.jpg

During her opening :p

photo14k.jpg

photo8vg.jpg

Tunku visit the airport, during it's construction

photo7tc.jpg

photo6n.jpg

photo5noi.jpg

86143153.th.jpg

photo4h.jpg

photo2md.jpg

Edited by subzero

SOme old pictures from 1972...

http://ifoto.penerangan.gov.my/html/fjpen6/main.php?g2_itemId=4247020&g2_highlightId=4247021

The launch of MAS on 30 September 1972:

http://ifoto.penerangan.gov.my/html/fjpen6/main.php?g2_itemId=158871&?&g2_try=3&g2_try3=3

Anyone familiar with the rego of the 737 on the left, in this photo? ;)

http://ifoto.penerangan.gov.my/html/fjpen6/main.php?g2_itemId=158913&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Edited by H Azmal

Anyone familiar with the rego of the 737 on the left, in this photo? ;)

http://ifoto.penerangan.gov.my/html/fjpen6/main.php?g2_itemId=158913&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Nosewheel-door seems to show Oscar, while the right-hand one would be Mike...anyone can confirm ?

Visit to SZB was an annual routine to my family as my elder siblings furthered their study abroad in the early 90s. I cant remember so much about the airport but what i really do remember until now about SZB is that there was a KFC restaurant which located on the 2nd floor. That KFC restaurant was really huge (i was little kid back then) and it had a playground at the end side of the restaurant which a must to me to play there. And that KFC restaurant provided good view of aircraft departing from the runway. :good:

Edited by dean hizudy

Nosewheel-door seems to show Oscar, while the right-hand one would be Mike...anyone can confirm ?

Yep, it's Oscar on the nosewheel door. Probably it is 9M-AQO, which later became 9M-MBD. We all know what happened after that.

This isn't in SZB but I'm pretty sure it headed to SZB soon after this picture was taken from BFI on delivery. So I decided to share it here. Hope it is alright with you guys. Have a happy new year! :drinks:

file12.jpg

Yep, it's Oscar on the nosewheel door. Probably it is 9M-AQO, which later became 9M-MBD. We all know what happened after that.

Bingo! That was what I wanted to highlight :)

Any pic of any aircraft in the old MH livery is certainly to die for, IMO. Thanks very much for sharing, Mr. Tang ;)

Edited by H Azmal