MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Robert

RM300 max for flight tickets to Sabah and Sarawak during Kaamatan and Gawai

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2023/05/19/govt-to-subsidise-balance-for-kaamatan-and-gawai-flight-tickets

KUALA LUMPUR: A total of RM17.2mil has been allocated to make it more affordable for people to fly back to Sabah or Sarawak from Peninsular Malaysia for two upcoming festive events.

The Cabinet has agreed to set aside RM5.8mil and RM11.4mil respectively, to subsidise one-way flights from Peninsular Malaysia to Sabah and Sarawak in the run-up to the Kaamatan and Gawai festivals there.

Kaamatan and Gawai, both harvest festivals, will be observed on May 30-31 and June 1-2, respectively.

Transport Minister Anthony Loke said the Cabinet decided to lighten the burden on Sabahans and Sarawakians who want to return to their hometowns for the festivals.

While airlines are still free to set their prices, travellers need not pay more than RM300 to fly to Sabah and Sarawak at selected periods as the government will top up the fare difference by reimbursing the airlines.

“Those flying from the peninsula to Sabah and Sarawak will not have to pay more than RM300 when they make bookings this Saturday and onwards.

“The discounted flight tickets to Sabah will be applied three days before Kaamatan, from May 27-29.

“For flight tickets to Sarawak, the discounted rates will be applied three days before Gawai, from May 29-31,” he told a press conference at KTM Bhd’s Hari Raya open house here yesterday.

Loke said the discounted tickets would be available for all airlines flying to Sabah and Sarawak, including AirAsia, Malaysia Airlines, Batik Air and MYairline.

As of May 17, Loke said there was a remainder of 17,708 flight tickets from Peninsular Malaysia to Sabah and Sarawak.

“There were 8,903 tickets to Sabah and 8,805 tickets to Sarawak,” he said.

The issue of costly airfares was highlighted in a report by The Star on May 12, where Sarawakians residing in Kuala Lumpur said they could not afford to return home to celebrate Gawai.

They said one-way tickets for a family of four from Kuala Lumpur to Sibu cost up to RM1,600.

The Malaysian Association of Hotels also said a return air ticket from Peninsular Malaysia to Sarawak could cost as much as four figures if booked at the last minute.

Sceptical on the mechanism.

You need to buy 3 days before holiday season. But we all know people will binge buy tickets at inflated rate weeks to months before travel date hence seat availability may actually be little. Gov to block 12 seats per a320/738 for this?

Also the from the article "As of May 17, Loke said there was a remainder of 17,708 flight tickets from Peninsular Malaysia to Sabah and Sarawak.

“There were 8,903 tickets to Sabah and 8,805 tickets to Sarawak,” he said."

Its very likely maybe only 10% of such tickets will be subsidized from the looks of it. Those wanting the rm300 ticket its gonna be tough actually getting them.

I really really can't understand why Malaysians, especially those from Sabah and Sarawak like to buy their ticket last min. You would have known the PH dates way earlier, the public holiday calendar is published at least a year ahead, you should have booked your air ticket way ahead. For those who say: "Kenot dpt leave how?!!" You book your air ticket first, work out with your boss and colleagues on how to manage the work when you are away, best bring your laptop with you if your company provides you with one. Those air ticket issue is not something new, not a rocket science to plan ahead and book ahead. You can't have the cake and eat it at the same time. 

Edited by JuliusWong

10 minutes ago, JuliusWong said:

I really really can't understand why Malaysians, especially those from Sabah and Sarawak like to buy their ticket last min. You would have known the PH dates way earlier, the public holiday calendar is published at least a year ahead, you should have booked your air ticket way ahead. For those who say: "Kenot dpt leave how?!!" You book your air ticket first, work out with your boss and colleagues on how to manage the work when you are away, best bring your laptop with you if your company provides you with one. Those air ticket issue is not something new, not a rocket science to plan ahead and book ahead. You can have the cake and eat it at the same time. 

100% agree

If I want to travel during the holiday I book my tickets far in advance to avoid the cost. If Im late booking I either accept it for don't travel.

Reintroduce Feri Malaysia, or some form of ferry services as maritime highway between EM and WM. Sure, it may take days but if one can drive and bring car along, why not?

7 minutes ago, JuliusWong said:

I really really can't understand why Malaysians, especially those from Sabah and Sarawak like to buy their ticket last min. You would have known the PH dates way earlier, the public holiday calendar is published at least a year ahead, you should have booked your air ticket way ahead. For those who say: "Kenot dpt leave how?!!" You book your air ticket first, work out with your boss and colleagues on how to manage the work when you are away, best bring your laptop with you if your company provides you with one. Those air ticket issue is not something new, not a rocket science to plan ahead and book ahead. You can have the cake and eat it at the same time. 

Partly agree. However, some working in services sector or in jobs that require you in standby mode, I think applying leave earlier would be more difficult. Of course, anyone can book flights early, but your boss suddenly says you can only apply leave after Raya or after Kaamatan/Gawai days before your flight, when you already booked yourself a ticket for flights on the eve of either of these holidays, unless you have spare money to change flight schedule, then no choice but just let it 'burn'.

1 hour ago, jahur said:

Sceptical on the mechanism.

You need to buy 3 days before holiday season. But we all know people will binge buy tickets at inflated rate weeks to months before travel date hence seat availability may actually be little. Gov to block 12 seats per a320/738 for this?

Also the from the article "As of May 17, Loke said there was a remainder of 17,708 flight tickets from Peninsular Malaysia to Sabah and Sarawak.

“There were 8,903 tickets to Sabah and 8,805 tickets to Sarawak,” he said."

Its very likely maybe only 10% of such tickets will be subsidized from the looks of it. Those wanting the rm300 ticket its gonna be tough actually getting them.

Tickets to Sabah/Sarawak are mentioned but not the return ticket :)

3 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

I really really can't understand why Malaysians, especially those from Sabah and Sarawak like to buy their ticket last min. You would have known the PH dates way earlier, the public holiday calendar is published at least a year ahead, you should have booked your air ticket way ahead. For those who say: "Kenot dpt leave how?!!" You book your air ticket first, work out with your boss and colleagues on how to manage the work when you are away, best bring your laptop with you if your company provides you with one. Those air ticket issue is not something new, not a rocket science to plan ahead and book ahead. You can't have the cake and eat it at the same time. 

We have seen the likes of "cant afford dont buy"/ "buy early why wait" being discussed everywhere. But I've seen colleagues and relatives who literally cant and never will get leaves approved for holiday seasons unless they change profession or leave. Where do these folks go apart from contributing to the brain drain. You also have to accept that the airline potentially screwing up with "retiming/reschuling" will be the norm as well. 

LimA 2023 dates were never fix 6months ahead like it used to and we have stories of homestays cancelling peoples advance booking and hiking up the rates once the dates were confirmed. 

Edited by jahur

3 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

Not all employers are able to release annual leave request at such an early date. One need to understand that everyone has different nature of jobs and leave policies. 

10 hours ago, Alif A. F. said:

Partly agree. However, some working in services sector or in jobs that require you in standby mode, I think applying leave earlier would be more difficult. Of course, anyone can book flights early, but your boss suddenly says you can only apply leave after Raya or after Kaamatan/Gawai days before your flight, when you already booked yourself a ticket for flights on the eve of either of these holidays, unless you have spare money to change flight schedule, then no choice but just let it 'burn'.

7 hours ago, jahur said:

We have seen the likes of "cant afford dont buy"/ "buy early why wait" being discussed everywhere. But I've seen colleagues and relatives who literally cant and never will get leaves approved for holiday seasons unless they change profession or leave. Where do these folks go apart from contributing to the brain drain. You also have to accept that the airline potentially screwing up with "retiming/reschuling" will be the norm as well. 

6 hours ago, Pall said:

Not all employers are able to release annual leave request at such an early date. One need to understand that everyone has different nature of jobs and leave policies. 

Isn’t that the inherent downside to being an employee, particularly if you work on the other side of the country? How many workers have the unrestricted luxury of going on leave whenever they fancy?
I suppose this is more politically palatable than pouring money into MH, but going by the comments I’m seeing online… people don’t seem to realise that it’s their tax money being spent one way or another. 

Sign in to follow this