MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Robert

KLIA Topics - Master thread needed?

This is the most unfortunate aspect of cost cutting and outsourcing within the aviation industry. Almost every airlines are now cost cutting to bare bone, closing their own lounges and outsourced to third party. Even Singapore Airlines closed its own SilverKris Lounge at KUL, even though they have many premium customers here in Malaysia. Plaza Premium Group (PPG) is now one of the biggest beneficiary of such cost-cutting exercise. In next few months, PPG will be launching several new brands in Malaysia and the region. 

image.png

Moving forward, I think we will only see airline branded/owned lounges in major Asian cities: SIN/HND/NRT/PVG/PKX/HKG. The rest, will be just outsourced.

I think it’s probably MAHB that terminated them (IIRC), not airlines that threw in the towel. I thought I read somewhere that MAHB wanted to consolidate the lounges. 

I can understand if 1 or 2 or 3 airlines choose to close their own lounges, but for all of them to close sounds a bit more sus. TG, CX, EK, SQ have all closed their own respective lounges. EK almost always have their own lounge in a decently large outport city. SQ has a huge presence at KUL too. 

Edited by Craig

2 hours ago, Craig said:

I think it’s probably MAHB that terminated them (IIRC), not airlines that threw in the towel. I thought I read somewhere that MAHB wanted to consolidate the lounges. 

I can understand if 1 or 2 or 3 airlines choose to close their own lounges, but for all of them to close sounds a bit more sus. TG, CX, EK, SQ have all closed their own respective lounges. EK almost always have their own lounge in a decently large outport city. SQ has a huge presence at KUL too. 

Perhaps MH want to make a lot go changes. Does see a little odd but then again perhaps its cheaper to use contract lounges in some locations.

Found this from 2020

“In light of the current travel restrictions, and taking into account the redevelopment plans at KLIA which will involve the space where the Singapore Airlines SilverKris Lounge is located, we have made the decision to close the SilverKris Lounge in Kuala Lumpur International Airport. Eligible passengers will be invited to use the Plaza Premium Lounge instead.”

Singapore Airlines spokesperson

https://mainlymiles.com/2020/09/20/sia-removes-silverkris-lounges-in-delhi-kuala-lumpur-and-adelaide/

52 minutes ago, Robert said:

Perhaps MH want to make a lot go changes. Does see a little odd but then again perhaps its cheaper to use contract lounges in some locations.

Do you mean MAHB wants to make a extensive makeover? KUL is lesser important port for many airlines, not surprised they closed down their lounges in Malaysia. There were hardly any uptick in their KUL load or frequency except during occasional holiday. The exceptional maybe is EK. CX used to run 4x daily flight now only 2x, heavy loss for the past three years due to heavy lockdown, conversing cash and a more-Chinese centric management took over, SQ SilverKris lounge was small and unable to handle the crowd as their due to their close flight timing (7-9x daily depending on which day) also many Star Alliance pax, TG- heavy loss, bankruptcy, only 2x per day and their contract was terminated/not renewed in Aug 2020. EK despite flying B77W and A380 flight into KUL, may be concentrating their limited resources elsewhere where ROI is higher. Short of equipment and crew now like any other airlines now.

I believe the closure is mutual agreement between MAHB and the airlines during the covid lockdown, but with so many lots especially at Mezzanine Floor at Satellite A, I sure hope MAHB has some good ideas how to fill them up again.

Edited by JuliusWong

3 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

Do you mean MAHB wants to make a extensive makeover? KUL is lesser important port for many airlines, not surprised they closed down their lounges in Malaysia. There were hardly any uptick in their KUL load or frequency except during occasional holiday. The exceptional maybe is EK. CX used to run 4x daily flight now only 2x, heavy loss for the past three years due to heavy lockdown, conversing cash and a more-Chinese centric management took over, SQ SilverKris lounge was small and unable to handle the crowd as their due to their close flight timing (7-9x daily depending on which day) also many Star Alliance pax, TG- heavy loss, bankruptcy, only 2x per day and their contract was terminated/not renewed in Aug 2020. EK despite flying B77W and A380 flight into KUL, may be concentrating their limited resources elsewhere where ROI is higher. Short of equipment and crew now like any other airlines now.

I believe the closure is mutual agreement between MAHB and the airlines during the covid lockdown, but with so many lots especially at Mezzanine Floor at Satellite A, I sure hope MAHB has some good ideas how to fill them up again.

Based on the other post I made it claimed MAHB (sorry I said MH) wants to perform some redevelopment. 

On 5/17/2023 at 9:23 PM, Robert said:

Based on the other post I made it claimed MAHB (sorry I said MH) wants to perform some redevelopment. 

Passed by KUL C gates earlier this week. They boarded up a lot of areas and I recall seeing 2 wings with new lounges sign (C20s gate and C10s IIRC). The Travel Club/Lounge is the only other lounge besides MH at the C gates now. I think this will be a generic lounge (e.g. PPL but they have moved to the G/H gates) instead of individual airline lounges. Or it could be a Star Alliance and Skyteam lounge and non-alliance can use Travel Club? Who knows.

Hard Rock Cafe (heh?!), Jibby Chow is also opening at C gates along with Burger King (I can't remember if it was them that was on the same wing as the MH lounge). All on the first floor. Some duty free shops are closed and are currently going under renovation. It looks like the re-designed stores will have a lot more wood based theme.

Edited by Craig

22 hours ago, Craig said:

Passed by KUL C gates earlier this week. They boarded up a lot of areas and I recall seeing 2 wings with new lounges sign (C20s gate and C10s IIRC). The Travel Club/Lounge is the only other lounge besides MH at the C gates now. I think this will be a generic lounge (e.g. PPL but they have moved to the G/H gates) instead of individual airline lounges. Or it could be a Star Alliance and Skyteam lounge and non-alliance can use Travel Club? Who knows.

Hard Rock Cafe (heh?!), Jibby Chow is also opening at C gates along with Burger King (I can't remember if it was them that was on the same wing as the MH lounge). All on the first floor. Some duty free shops are closed and are currently going under renovation. It looks like the re-designed stores will have a lot more wood based theme.

With all the construction it feel a bit sad and not so busy. 

Burger King has also open at the main building at L4 above arrivals.

Last Sunday I arrived early for my flight to Singapore and popped over to the platinum lounge. From exiting the grab car to arriving in the lounge was 15 mins. Just as teh bus arrived at the drop off point near C11 the escalator broke and there was quite a queue building for the little lift.

30 minutes ago, Robert said:

Last Sunday I arrived early for my flight to Singapore and popped over to the platinum lounge. From exiting the grab car to arriving in the lounge was 15 mins. Just as teh bus arrived at the drop off point near C11 the escalator broke and there was quite a queue building for the little lift.

The queue at C bus gates to baggage claim weren't great either. Especially when a few flights are arriving at the same time. There doesn't seem to be any construction work done on the tracks - so I guess we are just waiting for the rolling stock and not a revamped train system?

I remember seeing a space boarded up for "the Loaf" in the C gates 1st floor as well. And it's still not as busy as 2019 as you said. The hoardings does take away quite a bit of natural light into the building.

24 minutes ago, Craig said:

The queue at C bus gates to baggage claim weren't great either. Especially when a few flights are arriving at the same time. There doesn't seem to be any construction work done on the tracks - so I guess we are just waiting for the rolling stock and not a revamped train system?

I remember seeing a space boarded up for "the Loaf" in the C gates 1st floor as well. And it's still not as busy as 2019 as you said. The hoardings does take away quite a bit of natural light into the building.

MAHB had used bus gate leading to sky train station (for arrival to terminal c), a more centralized location. If bus arrival to terminal c is at gate c11, why insist pax walk to c5 for departure from terminal c?

23 minutes ago, KK Lee said:

MAHB had used bus gate leading to sky train station (for arrival to terminal c), a more centralized location. If bus arrival to terminal c is at gate c11, why insist pax walk to c5 for departure from terminal c?

Probably because they don't want pax to get more confused and crowded (as they are now) if they mix passengers at C11. The original signage (in blue) was always directing pax to aero train  - so i guess if they move it to say C21, everyone will be confused. But signage could be a little clearer and if someone walks the wrong way down to C2/4/6 gates, it's a long trek to C5.

On 6/30/2023 at 9:44 AM, Craig said:

Probably because they don't want pax to get more confused and crowded (as they are now) if they mix passengers at C11. The original signage (in blue) was always directing pax to aero train  - so i guess if they move it to say C21, everyone will be confused. But signage could be a little clearer and if someone walks the wrong way down to C2/4/6 gates, it's a long trek to C5.

AeroTrain won't be in service for the next few years. Keeping AeroTrain signage is confusing.

1 hour ago, KK Lee said:

AeroTrain won't be in service for the next few years. Keeping AeroTrain signage is confusing.

Targeted operation of first new train is Q4 2024 IIRC, subject to delays of course. And I don't think those blue signs around the airport has been changed since its opening in 1998. I think they only changed a bit when the international A/B gates changed to G/H (very German way of assigning gate numbers btw) and also added Arabic, Chinese, and Japanese stickers at the bottom.

Edited by Craig

If MAHB think strategically, the new aerotrain will be designed to cater for expansion to the future satellite terminal 2 so that there is no need to revamp it again when that terminal is constructed. It will merely be extended to that terminal.

4 hours ago, Craig said:

Targeted operation of first new train is Q4 2024 IIRC, subject to delays of course. And I don't think those blue signs around the airport has been changed since its opening in 1998. I think they only changed a bit when the international A/B gates changed to G/H (very German way of assigning gate numbers btw) and also added Arabic, Chinese, and Japanese stickers at the bottom.

There was at least one update since the late 2000s. The original font was white accompanied the green/yellow lines to denote departure/arrival. Now the font itself is coloured. Less legible this way, I find.

None of the MAHB management have been to Changi ke? Can they not learn from the world’s best airport 50 mins flight away?? Why so difficult?

they took our ‘forest in the airport’ concept and made it a few levels better - look at Jewel!

as uncle Roger say… ‘haiyaaaaa!’

Edited by Izanee

Would perhaps be a little too simplistic of my assuming - but given that the current Aerotrains operate on a wheel based (not railed system) platform, would a temporary use of these devices (modified perhaps by way of ensuring the platforms may accommodate the train rather than vice-versa) to temporarily run on one (or both) of the aerotrain lines to keep the service running conveniently.. but at least in my thoughts, it seems more plausible/realistic having such a service ready perhaps even by year end as oppose to the end-2024 projections for the new line - and would be some degree of respite for the airport and passenger/customer feel alike. Iskandar Malaysia BRT starts three-month pilot testing - paultan.org

19 hours ago, flee said:

If MAHB think strategically, the new aerotrain will be designed to cater for expansion to the future satellite terminal 2 so that there is no need to revamp it again when that terminal is constructed. It will merely be extended to that terminal.

I think the structure is already there. If you look at C gates, there are actually tracks that go straight instead of turning right towards main concourse as you leave the C gates. Trains were stopped a few years ago to facilitate this extension but the D? gates have yet to be constructed yet.

8 hours ago, Izanee said:

None of the MAHB management have been to Changi ke? Can they not learn from the world’s best airport 50 mins flight away?? Why so difficult?

they took our ‘forest in the airport’ concept and made it a few levels better - look at Jewel!

To be fair, KLIA was built ~20 years before Jewel was built. The current terminal design (either T1 or T2) doesn't have the structure for this feature. I bet they can't even separate arrivals and departures with the current T1 design. I think even relocating the escalators at C gates will be tough (it's a bit of a hassle to say go to the Golden Lounge when there are no visible escalators once you get off the train)

1 hour ago, Craig said:

I think the structure is already there. If you look at C gates, there are actually tracks that go straight instead of turning right towards main concourse as you leave the C gates. Trains were stopped a few years ago to facilitate this extension but the D? gates have yet to be constructed yet.

According to someone familiar; current AeroTrain tracks couldn't be switched. Reason why AeroTrain maintenance and service center wasn't use since built.

Edited by KK Lee

Kul T1 luggage delivery speed has improved. First bag arrive at about the same time as pax from gate c by bus.

12 hours ago, Sandeep G said:

Would perhaps be a little too simplistic of my assuming - but given that the current Aerotrains operate on a wheel based (not railed system) platform, would a temporary use of these devices (modified perhaps by way of ensuring the platforms may accommodate the train rather than vice-versa) to temporarily run on one (or both) of the aerotrain lines to keep the service running conveniently.. but at least in my thoughts, it seems more plausible/realistic having such a service ready perhaps even by year end as oppose to the end-2024 projections for the new line - and would be some degree of respite for the airport and passenger/customer feel alike.

The Aerotrains are actually guided by a track in the middle, so nope they can't just run any rubber tyred vehicle on it.

Best for MAHB to buy more of the wider low floor airport buses.  I'm surprised it took them so long to procure them when they seem to be standard equipment for airports.

15 hours ago, Craig said:

To be fair, KLIA was built ~20 years before Jewel was built. The current terminal design (either T1 or T2) doesn't have the structure for this feature. I bet they can't even separate arrivals and departures with the current T1 design. I think even relocating the escalators at C gates will be tough (it's a bit of a hassle to say go to the Golden Lounge when there are no visible escalators once you get off the train)

I know KLIA was built 25 years ago, that’s ok. My point is that even Changi saw what KUL had an improved on it further. Why can’t it be the other way?

Sign in to follow this