MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

Korea Aerospace wins RM4bil fighter aircraft contract from Malaysia

Hoping it will be block 20. It at least alleviate the duties of the Sukhou and hornets having to constantly ship back forth to east Malaysia. Also to at least MOU batch 2 of 18 units. TUDM was asking for 36. Batch 2 puma heli was also scrapped. 

Edited by jahur

I think the primary concern is budget - remember, they were talking about sale and leaseback arrangements? I think the FA-50 is a reasonable replacement for the Hawk but not the MiG-29N. However, I think that there is no real need to replace the MiGs but the govt. should instead look at a longer term replacement for the Su-30MKM.

On 2/25/2023 at 5:45 PM, flee said:

I think the primary concern is budget - remember, they were talking about sale and leaseback arrangements? I think the FA-50 is a reasonable replacement for the Hawk but not the MiG-29N. However, I think that there is no real need to replace the MiGs but the govt. should instead look at a longer term replacement for the Su-30MKM.

The LCA/FIT batch 1 financing has already been approved by mof. Its something either gov has to follow due to the defense white paper briefing timeline. What we need to see is whether batch 2 will be approved o not.

Asset coverage of east msia is still inadequate if batch 2 is not granted. Just today I've received an video recording of China warship requesting the Philippines coast guard to exit their so called control zone in the shoal reef. All the radio transmission recorded by MH flight crew that were flying back to msia from japan lol. Expect to see stuff like this intensify sadly.

While the FA-50 does not really replace the mig-29 in terms of speed its still a lot faster than mach 0.8 bae hawk lol. Also noted KAI has confirmed msia will be receiving block 20. Which means aerial refuel, targeting sniper, anti ship+sub will he fitted on it.

The SU-30MKM and FA-18D has just undergone service extension up to 2035. So probably no replacement planned. RMAF however was asking the gov to consider taking used hornets to at least make them a 12-18 total instead of the current 8. Future MRCA if cost is a major concern it would probably favour the f-35 over the superhornets. Though i am not a fan of single engines people are more keen trust on its ability that will trade off the single engine limitation. 

Edited by jahur

On 2/26/2023 at 9:33 PM, jahur said:

The SU-30MKM and FA-18D has just undergone service extension up to 2035. So probably no replacement planned. RMAF however was asking the gov to consider taking used hornets to at least make them a 12-18 total instead of the current 8. Future MRCA if cost is a major concern it would probably favour the f-35 over the superhornets. Though i am not a fan of single engines people are more keen trust on its ability that will trade off the single engine limitation. 

Well 2035 is not that far away, since we have seen how long it takes for the RMAF to get their assets. This FA-50 order was a result of over a decade of evaluation and consideration! I would say any new MRCA order will first replace the now defunct MiG-29N and subsequently replace the Hornets and Sukhois as deliveries will be in phases/batches. I am doubtful if Malaysia will buy any US fighters again unless they are able to have the unrestricted avionics and weapons capabilities.

The US Navy was always sceptical of the performance of single engined fighters for their carriers but they have now got to use them because of budgetary constraints. However, the F-35's engine is not a new one - it is a development of the F-22 engine. As such, reliability issues may not be so bad.

Sign in to follow this