Jump to content
MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

Singapore Airlines quarterly profit surges seven-fold

Recommended Posts

Singapore Airlines (SIA) reported a more than seven-fold jump in third-quarter net profit on Tuesday (Feb 21), boosted by a strong recovery in demand in key markets.

The carrier said that demand for air travel is expected to be robust in the fourth quarter following a recovery in East Asia after the easing of travel restrictions across China, Hong Kong, Japan and Taiwan.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/business/singapore-airlines-quarterly-profit-surges-seven-fold-3293181

https://www.theedgemarkets.com/node/656165

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, BC Tam said:

Not really a game changer, there are few airlines out there offering free WiFi albeit in different forms.

  1. Delta began rolling out in early 2023 and is expected to cover all major domestic flights by the end of 2023, and all international flights and regional flights by the end of 2024. You need to be a SkyMiles member, which is free to sign up. 
  2. JetBlue started offering free WiFi to all passengers through their Fly-Fi service in 2013, covering almost all flights in the United States, as well as many flights to Latin America and the Caribbean, as well as select flights to Europe but coverage may vary depending on the route and type of plane.
  3. Qatar Airways you need to be a member of the airline’s Privilege Club frequent flyer program (it’s free to join.) but you’ll only get one hour of complimentary WiFi. After that, you can choose to upgrade to a paid package to continue surfing the web.
  4. Norwegian Airlines offers free WiFi on many of their flights. Travelers on short-haul flights within Europe will have access to complimentary WiFi, and as of 2020, it’s available on many long-haul trans-Atlantic flights too. However, the free WiFi only applies to the “Basic” plan. If you want faster service or the ability to stream video content, you’ll need to pay for a premium WiFi package.
  5. Philippine Airlines: Offers 30 minutes of free WiFi on select international flights
  6. Qantas: Offers complimentary WiFi on all domestic flights within Australia
  7. Nok Air: Offers free WiFi on all flights (mainly flies within Thailand)
  8. Air New Zealand: Offers complimentary WiFi on select flights
  9. AirAsia: Offers free WiFi on selected routes with capping. If you require more, you will need to purchase one from five different plans, ranging from RM9- RM58.

Personally, I would want to escape from "reality" while I am flying, those are some previous quiet "me-time", plus those wifi onboard is really slow highly dependable on the aircraft geographical location. I guess with host of social media out there nowadays, and business demands instant decision in today's competitive world, inflight WiFi is inevitable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

Personally, I would want to escape from "reality" while I am flying, those are some previous quiet "me-time", plus those wifi onboard is really slow highly dependable on the aircraft geographical location. I guess with host of social media out there nowadays, and business demands instant decision in today's competitive world, inflight WiFi is inevitable. 

As a tech geek, the most likely scenario with nearly 200 connected devices, this would constrict the available bandwidth. Goodluck trying to get stable 5mbps connection on an a380 when this goes free. In the days of 4K and higher video bit rate streaming even dedicated 30mbps barely runs smoothly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jahur said:

As a tech geek, the most likely scenario with nearly 200 connected devices, this would constrict the available bandwidth. Goodluck trying to get stable 5mbps connection on an a380 when this goes free. In the days of 4K and higher video bit rate streaming even dedicated 30mbps barely runs smoothly. 

This is so true. Imagine 400 pax on an B77W or 779 or even A380!! The horror.......I hope inflight magazines make a comeback, most airlines have dropped it. MH and OD have returned theirs to seat pocket, AirAsia remain to be seen. MYAirlines - no idea if they are planning one. SQ's are gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nowadays, I find that I don't enjoy watching movies on a small screen on a plane. Besides I might fall asleep after an hour! I appreciate the ability to access satellite TV more than having wifi. Its quite cool to watch the news real time while flying!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how a company like Elon Musk's Starlink will change the in-flight wifi game.

They have launched with a few airlines in the US.. Will surely come our way soon enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, flee said:

Singapore Airlines pays staff 8-month salary bonus after S$2.67bil record profit

https://www.nst.com.my/business/corporate/2024/05/1051476/singapore-airlines-pays-staff-8-month-salary-bonus-after-s267bil

That is over RM 9b profit - how many jets can that buy?

Each A350-1000 cost is around USD 355,700,00 million without discount

SGD 2.67 billion = USD 1.98 billion

USD 1.98 billion / USD 355,700,00 million = about give A350-1000 cash. 

Not forgetting, they have SGD 11.3  billion cash and bank balance with debt gearing: 0.82 only!

Phenomenal! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, flee said:

Singapore Airlines pays staff 8-month salary bonus after S$2.67bil record profit

https://www.nst.com.my/business/corporate/2024/05/1051476/singapore-airlines-pays-staff-8-month-salary-bonus-after-s267bil

That is over RM 9b profit - how many jets can that buy?

Heard the original bonus offered was 6. Was bumped to 8 cause massive amount of cabin crew in SQ were also leaving and small faction of pilots. 9 months was also almost considered.

SIA is lucky SGD is around to aid it. At VN fluctuation in currency is halving much of its long term planning.

Vietnam airfares exceed Thailand’s on exchange rate fluctuations

Quote

Vietnam Airlines' average ticket prices have risen by 14-20% from the end of 2023 to US$0.08-0.12 per kilometer this year, Huy said while speaking at a Standing Committee of the National Assembly session session on Monday.

The U.S. dollar has appreciated by nearly 5% against the Vietnamese dong so far this year, he said.

A 1% increase in the dollar’s value could lead to a VND300 billion (US$12.1 million) annual loss for Vietnam Airlines, according to the carrier.

Meanwhile look at MYR and JPY.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JuliusWong said:

Each A350-1000 cost is around USD 355,700,00 million without discount

SGD 2.67 billion = USD 1.98 billion

USD 1.98 billion / USD 355,700,00 million = about give A350-1000 cash. 

Not forgetting, they have SGD 11.3  billion cash and bank balance with debt gearing: 0.82 only!

Phenomenal! 

*about FIVE A350-1000 cash. Sorry for the typo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jahur said:

Meanwhile look at MYR and JPY.

Air fares ex-KUL are way higher than in 2019. And airfares to Japan are also high, despite the JPY depreciation. I still remember Malaysian Japanese car assemblers raising car prices every few months when the JPY went up. These days, they are quite happy to keep car prices high despite the lower JPY. So all businesses are the same, when MYR depreciates prices go up, but when it appreciates, prices never ever come back down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, flee said:

Singapore Airlines pays staff 8-month salary bonus after S$2.67bil record profit

https://www.nst.com.my/business/corporate/2024/05/1051476/singapore-airlines-pays-staff-8-month-salary-bonus-after-s267bil

That is over RM 9b profit - how many jets can that buy?

This is a way to reward/compensate staffs took pay cut during covid19 pandemic.

 

2 hours ago, flee said:

Air fares ex-KUL are way higher than in 2019. And airfares to Japan are also high, despite the JPY depreciation. I still remember Malaysian Japanese car assemblers raising car prices every few months when the JPY went up. These days, they are quite happy to keep car prices high despite the lower JPY. So all businesses are the same, when MYR depreciates prices go up, but when it appreciates, prices never ever come back down.

MH could keep their fare high. TG, VN and CZ is affordable and convenience option to NRT, HND and KIX.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...