MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

Singapore Airlines quarterly profit surges seven-fold

Singapore Airlines (SIA) reported a more than seven-fold jump in third-quarter net profit on Tuesday (Feb 21), boosted by a strong recovery in demand in key markets.

The carrier said that demand for air travel is expected to be robust in the fourth quarter following a recovery in East Asia after the easing of travel restrictions across China, Hong Kong, Japan and Taiwan.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/business/singapore-airlines-quarterly-profit-surges-seven-fold-3293181

https://www.theedgemarkets.com/node/656165

18 hours ago, BC Tam said:

Not really a game changer, there are few airlines out there offering free WiFi albeit in different forms.

1. Delta began rolling out in early 2023 and is expected to cover all major domestic flights by the end of 2023, and all international flights and regional flights by the end of 2024. You need to be a SkyMiles member, which is free to sign up. 
  2. JetBlue started offering free WiFi to all passengers through their Fly-Fi service in 2013, covering almost all flights in the United States, as well as many flights to Latin America and the Caribbean, as well as select flights to Europe but coverage may vary depending on the route and type of plane.
  3. Qatar Airways you need to be a member of the airline’s Privilege Club frequent flyer program (it’s free to join.) but you’ll only get one hour of complimentary WiFi. After that, you can choose to upgrade to a paid package to continue surfing the web.
  4. Norwegian Airlines offers free WiFi on many of their flights. Travelers on short-haul flights within Europe will have access to complimentary WiFi, and as of 2020, it’s available on many long-haul trans-Atlantic flights too. However, the free WiFi only applies to the “Basic” plan. If you want faster service or the ability to stream video content, you’ll need to pay for a premium WiFi package.
  5. Philippine Airlines: Offers 30 minutes of free WiFi on select international flights
  6. Qantas: Offers complimentary WiFi on all domestic flights within Australia
  7. Nok Air: Offers free WiFi on all flights (mainly flies within Thailand)
  8. Air New Zealand: Offers complimentary WiFi on select flights
  9. AirAsia: Offers free WiFi on selected routes with capping. If you require more, you will need to purchase one from five different plans, ranging from RM9- RM58.

Personally, I would want to escape from "reality" while I am flying, those are some previous quiet "me-time", plus those wifi onboard is really slow highly dependable on the aircraft geographical location. I guess with host of social media out there nowadays, and business demands instant decision in today's competitive world, inflight WiFi is inevitable. 

4 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

Personally, I would want to escape from "reality" while I am flying, those are some previous quiet "me-time", plus those wifi onboard is really slow highly dependable on the aircraft geographical location. I guess with host of social media out there nowadays, and business demands instant decision in today's competitive world, inflight WiFi is inevitable. 

As a tech geek, the most likely scenario with nearly 200 connected devices, this would constrict the available bandwidth. Goodluck trying to get stable 5mbps connection on an a380 when this goes free. In the days of 4K and higher video bit rate streaming even dedicated 30mbps barely runs smoothly. 

3 minutes ago, jahur said:

As a tech geek, the most likely scenario with nearly 200 connected devices, this would constrict the available bandwidth. Goodluck trying to get stable 5mbps connection on an a380 when this goes free. In the days of 4K and higher video bit rate streaming even dedicated 30mbps barely runs smoothly. 

This is so true. Imagine 400 pax on an B77W or 779 or even A380!! The horror.......I hope inflight magazines make a comeback, most airlines have dropped it. MH and OD have returned theirs to seat pocket, AirAsia remain to be seen. MYAirlines - no idea if they are planning one. SQ's are gone.

Nowadays, I find that I don't enjoy watching movies on a small screen on a plane. Besides I might fall asleep after an hour! I appreciate the ability to access satellite TV more than having wifi. Its quite cool to watch the news real time while flying!

I wonder how a company like Elon Musk's Starlink will change the in-flight wifi game.

They have launched with a few airlines in the US.. Will surely come our way soon enough.

Sign in to follow this