MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Craig

All Things FireFly

Does anyone know what FY's SZB bag drop deadline is? I recall pre-Covid they had a rather unreasonable deadline (60 mins) for bags, which seemed entirely unnecessary for an airport like SZB.

Looking through their CoC, it says the counters close 30 mins before, but I'm not sure if it's any different with bags.

6.1.2 Turbo Propellors Operations

Our check-in counters are open ninety (90) minutes and close thirty (30) minutes before the domestic scheduled flight departure time [...] Check-in deadlines may vary at different airports and for particular flights 

41 minutes ago, Chris Tan said:

Does anyone know what FY's SZB bag drop deadline is? I recall pre-Covid they had a rather unreasonable deadline (60 mins) for bags, which seemed entirely unnecessary for an airport like SZB.

Looking through their CoC, it says the counters close 30 mins before, but I'm not sure if it's any different with bags.

Their TOC when tickets are issued. 

Our check-in counters for flights using ATR72-500 aircraft are open ninety (90) minutes and close thirty (30) minutes before the domestic scheduled flight departure time and forty five (45) minutes for international scheduled flight departure time and for flights using B737-800 aircraft, check-in counter are open hundred and twenty (120) minutes and closed forty five (45) minutes before for domestic and international scheduled flight. Check-in deadlines may vary at different airports and for particular flights; it is your responsibility to ensure that you comply with these deadlines, the particulars of which will be available at the time you make your booking. In any event, without derogating from the generality of other provisions of these General Conditions of Carriage governing the right of refusal of carriage, we reserve the right not to allow you to check in without any liability to you and without having to refund to you any Tariff paid. Code share flights 4000-4999 and 7000-7999 are subject to Operating Carrier Check-in requirement.

It appears that FY's ATR fleet is being depleted with no replacements incoming. Does FY have plans to operate jets from SZB? Will Mavcom sanction it?

23 minutes ago, flee said:

It appears that FY's ATR fleet is being depleted with no replacements incoming. Does FY have plans to operate jets from SZB? Will Mavcom sanction it?

At Maswings while there are 10 atr. Only 6 are on active duty ever since most of the RAS turboprop routes have been been discontinued only a select few remain. Meanwhile MASWings is facing a shortage of twin otter vikings by at least 2-3 frames and MOT is midst of adding more new subsidies routes and frequency for STOL routes.

21 minutes ago, jahur said:

At Maswings while there are 10 atr. Only 6 are on active duty ever since most of the RAS turboprop routes have been been discontinued only a select few remain. Meanwhile MASWings is facing a shortage of twin otter vikings by at least 2-3 frames and MOT is midst of adding more new subsidies routes and frequency for STOL routes.

It would appear to me that MAG is really short of cash and is cutting all unnecessary expenditure and non profit making activities. I suspect that their situation is far from the rosy picture they are painting of themselves to the media and the public.

21 hours ago, flee said:

It would appear to me that MAG is really short of cash and is cutting all unnecessary expenditure and non profit making activities. I suspect that their situation is far from the rosy picture they are painting of themselves to the media and the public.

Not what my friends in MAS say, they even got bonus last month. 

Firefly To Launch Direct Flights Between Penang And Singapore From March 26

https://www.businesstoday.com.my/2023/03/03/firefly-to-launch-direct-flights-between-penang-and-singapore-from-march-26/

Low-cost carrier Firefly Airlines will be launching direct flights between the Penang International Airport and Singapore Changi Airport starting from March 26.

In a statement on Friday, the airline said that it will operate the route between the two cities twice daily. Flights will depart from Penang at 10am and 6.35pm, while the return flights from Singapore will be at 12.40pm and 9.15pm.

Looks like Air Asia and Scoot will be getting some company. I wonder if MH will surrender its slots to FY on this route eventually.

2 hours ago, flee said:

Looks like Air Asia and Scoot will be getting some company. I wonder if MH will surrender its slots to FY on this route eventually.

Apparently MH's PEN-SIN run only lasted a few months last year.

Will FY be getting any additional 738’s from the parent company to operate these new services or is there slack in the roster of their current fleet of 4? 

The email I received today, mentioned that the route would be operated by refurbished 189 seat 737-800’s, interesting it mentioned a specific seating configuration. 

27 minutes ago, Tom/PER said:

Will FY be getting any additional 738’s from the parent company to operate these new services or is there slack in the roster of their current fleet of 4? 
The email I received today, mentioned that the route would be operated by refurbished 189 seat 737-800’s, interesting it mentioned a specific seating configuration. 

Yes, the seating configuration is 189 for the only refurbished airframe now 9M-MLJ. 9M-MLF, MLG, MLG are still in old configuration, all black seats. https://www.fireflyz.com.my/flights/en/flysave

image.png

55 minutes ago, Tom/PER said:

Yes, MH will be letting go of the 737NGs as they will begin to receive their MAXs this year. I am not sure how many FY will end up with, but I guess it will depend on what routes they plan to operate. It would appear that these would be lower yielding ones, judging from the high density LCC configuration of the aircraft.

On 3/4/2023 at 8:34 AM, Tom/PER said:

I’m led to believe -MLI has been withdrawn from the MH fleet and is undergoing work in preparation of joining the FY fleet. 

9M-MLI has not done any flight for some time, could well be in process in transferring to FY. @jahurcan verify on this.

The other two airframes initially scheduled to transfer to FY: MLJ, and MLK are soldiering on with MH. 

That will leave the only oddball of the fleet: 9M-FFF, the only airframe left in MH 90's cheatline livery, I think MH will fly this airframe will it drops its wings.

The good news is based on FR24 data, 9M-FFF, MLJ, and MLK are now restricted to domestic flight only and occasionally a short hop to Singapore. 

1 hour ago, JuliusWong said:

9M-MLI has not done any flight for some time, could well be in process in transferring to FY. @jahurcan verify on this.

The other two airframes initially scheduled to transfer to FY: MLJ, and MLK are soldiering on with MH. 

That will leave the only oddball of the fleet: 9M-FFF, the only airframe left in MH 90's cheatline livery, I think MH will fly this airframe will it drops its wings.

The good news is based on FR24 data, 9M-FFF, MLJ, and MLK are now restricted to domestic flight only and occasionally a short hop to Singapore. 

Aircraft no5 should be coming in soon cant say if its MLI or not. Still no news on aircraft no6. Note more than a year ago they estimate that they will have 13 aircraft by this year end.

Well they're still sitting with 4 with only signs of them getting up to no 6 this year end. Its always nice planning but slow or totally different execution lol.

Bki base est opening june this year with bki-kch planned. Not sure if bki-sdk/bki-twu will launch this year or not. 

Meanwhile Daddy Rudi can just top up quite a lot of 737max and now can shop a333 flexibly for Batik Malaysia. 

2 minutes ago, jahur said:

Aircraft no5 should be coming in soon cant say if its MLI or not. Still no news on aircraft no6. Note more than a year ago they estimate that they will have 13 aircraft by this year end.

Well they're still sitting with 4 with only signs of them getting up to no 6 this year end. Its always nice planning but slow or totally different execution lol.

Bki base est opening june this year with bki-kch planned. Not sure if bki-sdk/bki-twu will launch this year or not. 

Meanwhile Daddy Rudi can just top up quite a lot of 737max and now can shop a333 flexibly for Batik Malaysia. 

Thank you for your input. I think FY is facing manpower shortage, hence the very slow take off to fleet of 13. Plus do they have that many routes to justify 13 B737NG? Or are they betting on Penang/ KK to China secondary cities to support its fleet? I guess time will tell. MYAirlines started BKI-TWU route, that may put a dent on their BKI-TWU first mover advantage.

Daddy Rudi can get a lot of A330s from the used market, so many to choose from the used market. I saw from planetspotters.net they are taking two ex-D7 A333, for Batik Air Malaysia, but I think it is a mistake. Should be for Batik Air Indonesia. https://www.airfinancejournal.com/articles/3589750/batik-air-takes-more-leased-a330s

Not to stray off from the topic, one qns: Are they taking delivery of any 737max? Havent seen any in production line, I only know they are taking few of their ex-fleet B739 and GA B738. 

9 minutes ago, JuliusWong said:

Thank you for your input. I think FY is facing manpower shortage, hence the very slow take off to fleet of 13. Plus do they have that many routes to justify 13 B737NG? Or are they betting on Penang/ KK to China secondary cities to support its fleet? I guess time will tell. MYAirlines started BKI-TWU route, that may put a dent on their BKI-TWU first mover advantage.

Daddy Rudi can get a lot of A330s from the used market, so many to choose from the used market. I saw from planetspotters.net they are taking two ex-D7 A333, for Batik Air Malaysia, but I think it is a mistake. Should be for Batik Air Indonesia. https://www.airfinancejournal.com/articles/3589750/batik-air-takes-more-leased-a330s

Not to stray off from the topic, one qns: Are they taking delivery of any 737max? Havent seen any in production line, I only know they are taking few of their ex-fleet B739 and GA B738. 

The 13 aircraft were planned once most of the non trunk domestic routes in sabah sarawak and peninsula were transferred from MH. Also for regional leisure expansion they were looking at 19 737s. At the current rate it seems MYairline is moving way quicker.

As for malindo/batik Quite a few more 73max are due for them this year along with the 2 ex d7 a333. Potential plan may see them holding up to 27 jet aircrafts this year end. 

Am intrigued that while SIA closed its sister airline Silk Air, MAG expands its own.

Time will tell who made the better business decision.

For me, I think SQ's approach makes more sense. Unless Firefly is supposed to compete against Scoot and AirAsia.

Interesting times.

Edited by jani

3 hours ago, jani said:

Am intrigued that while SIA closed its sister airline Silk Air, MAG expands its own.

For me, I think SQ's approach makes more sense. Unless Firefly is supposed to compete against Scoot and AirAsia.

Interesting times.

Singapore market is more diverged compared to Malaysia. On one hand, there are huge and very strong demand for premium services from expats community, rich locals and those who are patriotic in supporting SQ. On the other hand, you have huge amt of those blue collar workers who return to home annually or bi-annual, medium to low income locals and transit passengers who are thrifty when it comes to buying air ticket. Malaysia wise 98% thrifty, 2% premium market (plucking figures from the skies, LOL). And those 2% mostly travel with EK, TK and QR premium cabin, leaving very small premium market for MH. In addition, Singapore population is concentrated on one small island, you have only one hub to operate from: SIN. Malaysia is 459x bigger than Singapore with a lot of important cities and population spread throughout the country/ federation. Hence the different strategy employed by MH vs SQ.

MI flight ticket was getting expensive, sometimes more than SQ itself, prior to its merger with SQ and a lot back end operation were duplicated. Hence the consolidation. 

20 hours ago, jani said:

Interesting times.

Not sure how MI and FY jet are even comparable. The former was a full-service regional airline that was closely integrated with SQ. When did FY jet become such an airline?

16 minutes ago, Chris Tan said:

Not sure how MI and FY jet are even comparable. The former was a full-service regional airline that was closely integrated with SQ. When did FY jet become such an airline?

I thought Firefly is the 'budget' brand of the group and should be compared to Scoot.

When MI was dropped SQ moved a number of low yield routes over to Scoot and I wouldn't be surprised if MH also takes that path.