MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
JuliusWong

Malaysia to see entry of new ultra low-cost carrier MYAirline

2 hours ago, Tamizi Hj Tamby said:

I'm quite surprised to hear Z9 will be flying both to DMK and BKK for this route. Any reasons why they choose both airport instead of one?

Both serve different group of passengers. BKK offers connecting options to a lot more European routes, works well with DIY connecting pax. DMK is more like the SZB of Bangkok, closer to the city. 

I've been lucky to be able to fly to both BKK and DMK within the past few months.

As an avgeek, BKK more impressive but if you are looking for convenience, it's DMK. Smaller, faster.

While I agree its weird the airline is flying to both, especially as they are new, AirAsia are also doing the same.

MYAirline inks six MoUs worth RM2.7bil at LIMA ‘23

https://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/business/2023/05/25/myairline-ink-six-mous-worth-rm2-7bil-at-lima-23/

PETALING JAYA: MYAirline Sdn Bhd has signed six memoranda of understanding (MoU) amounting to RM2.7 billion at the Langkawi International Maritime and Aerospace exhibition (LIMA ‘23) today.

The amount, the largest so far at LIMA ‘23, entails the extension of the airline’s existing Airbus A320 comprehensive component support programme with SIA Engineering Company.

The MoU includes wheel and brake services that will cover pooling, as well as repair and overhaul of wheels and brakes for the MYAirline fleet.

The carrier has also secured leasing agreements with several renowned aircraft lessors – including Aircastle, Avolon, Genesis, and SMBC Aviation Capital – resulting in a total of 17 aircraft by the end of 2023, valued at a total of US$450 million (RM2.1 billion)

Additionally, the airline also announced a groundbreaking joint venture with Menzies Aviation that will establish MYMenzies as one of the largest ground-handling service providers in Malaysia.

No wonder I saw a new company with the name MYMenzies in last month MAVCOMM approval list.

Malaysia's MYAirline details int'l network plan

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/127597-malaysias-myairline-details-intl-network-plan

MYAirline (Z9, Kuala Lumpur International) will begin international operations on June 28, 2023, with daily roundtrips between Kuala Lumpur International and Bangkok Suvarnabhumi, and Kuala Lumpur - Bangkok Don Mueang using A320-200 equipment. The launch of international services follows the carrier starting domestic flights in early December 2022.

By mid-August, MYAirline plans to operate twice daily roundtrips on both routes into Bangkok. The carrier will take on AirAsia, Batik Air Malaysia, and Thai AirAsia on the Kuala Lumpur - Bangkok Don Mueang route, where AirAsia offers a commanding 65.65% of all seats available on the sector.

On the Kuala Lumpur - Bangkok Suvarnabhumi route, MYAirline will compete with Thai AirAsia, Thai Airways International, AirAsia X, and Malaysia Airlines. While more airlines fly on the sector into Bangkok Suvarnabhumi, there are approximately 50% less seats available on a weekly basis compared to the Kuala Lumpur - Bangkok Don Mueang route.

MYAirline recently secured approval from the Malaysian Aviation Commission (MAVCOM) to operate seven roundtrips a week between Kuala Lumpur and Phuket which comes into effect immediately. In March, the carrier was also granted approval to fly 14 roundtrips a week between Kuala Lumpur and Singapore Changi. MYAirline has MAVCOM approval to operate across 24 domestic routes. Ahead of its international launch, the airline is flying on nine of those routes.

Malaysia’s MYAirline eyes new routes, fleet growth

https://www.flightglobal.com/airlines/malaysias-myairline-eyes-new-routes-fleet-growth/153429.article (behind paywall)

MYAirline LIMA

MYAirline’s stand at Malaysia’s LIMA show. Source: Greg Waldron/FlightGlobal

Malaysian low-cost start-up MYAirline is enjoying strong load factors as it contemplates new international routes and fleet growth.

The airline, which started operations in December 2022, is on the verge of taking its eighth leased Airbus A320, according to chief executive Rayner Teo.

Teo adds that the carrier also has imminent plans to launch services to Singapore from its hub at KLIA2 - the second terminal of Kuala Lumpur International Airport.

Teo spoke with FlightGlobal at the Langkawi International Maritime and Aerospace exhibition, where the airline has a promotional stand.

Load factors at the LCC average around 92%, and were as high as 96% during MYAirline’s first month of operations.

On the carrier’s finances, Teo notes that the company is privately owned, and the cash situation is comfortable.

“Up to now, there are no issues on that front,” says Teo. “But as we go forward we will definitely be exploring other methods of bringing in cash and funding. But that is at a later stage.”

Teo also shed light on the company’s plans to start operations to both of Bangkok’s International Airports, Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang from late June. Within a month of commencing Bangkok services, MYAirline will operate two flights daily to each of the airports.

He says that some customers have preferences about which Bangkok airport they fly too. The move to cover two Bangkok airports also has a strategic rationale: securing valuable slots before Chinese travel to Thailand returns to the levels seen before he coronavirus pandemic.

“Getting a slot is not so difficult, but it’s [difficult] to get the slot that you want,” he says.

In addition to Singapore, other new international routes are likely to be Jakarta, Phuket, Ho Chi Minh City, and Da Nang.

Regarding fleet, Teo says that MYAirline aims to have 50 aircraft within three years. This is more ambitious than Teo’s stated plan in late 2022, when he told FlightGlobal that the aim was to have 50 aircraft in five years.

The carrier is talking to Airbus, Boeing, and Embraer about its future fleet plans, with growth likely to come from a mix of orders and leases.

He is adverse to having a mixed fleet, but acknowledges that depending on future fleet decisions, it is possible that a mixed fleet may be necessary for a time.

23 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

Haven't find any link in English language, but MYAirlines drops KL-Sibu flight due to poor load, effective October 2023. It was only inaugurated in Jan this year, currently flying to Sibu twice daily.  https://www.myairline.my/media-centre/1797

Miri is also dropped at the same time. It was launches on March 1, 2023. https://www.myairline.my/media-centre/1683

Reconsider decision to stop Miri-KL route, S’wak Transport Ministry urges airline

https://www.theborneopost.com/2023/09/17/reconsider-decision-to-stop-miri-kl-route-swak-transport-ministry-urges-airline/

MIRI (Sept 17): The Sarawak Ministry of Transport is asking private low-cost airline, MYAirline Sdn Bhd (MYAirline) to reconsider their decision to temporarily halt the Miri-Kuala Lumpur-Miri route.

Its minister Dato Sri Lee Kim Shin suggested the airline reduce its flights to Miri rather than terminating the route entirely.

“I asked them to reconsider their decision to end flights for the Miri-Kuala Lumpur-Miri route — the same for the Sibu-Kuala Lumpur-Sibu route.

20 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

It seems MYAirline maybe discontinuing KUL-BKK route, only KUL-DMK is now bookable to March 2024.

Looks like reality is kicking in for MYAirline, rising fuel cost and USD. Lack of economical scale and cashflow issues, heard staff salaries are late.

With AirAsia getting stronger by the day, MYAirline might end up being another Rayani.  

1 hour ago, Pall said:

Looks like reality is kicking in for MYAirline, rising fuel cost and USD. Lack of economical scale and cashflow issues, heard staff salaries are late.

With AirAsia getting stronger by the day, MYAirline might end up being another Rayani.  

Nah, that rumour on late salary is false. Don't believe whatever you have heard. They have signed up another 17 A320ceo earlier this year for delivery in the next 24 months. They are wash with "cash" if you know the shareholders' background well. They are merely realigning their aircraft utilisation to match the route demand. With Sibu and Miri temporarily suspended, BKK maybe on the way out, they can start Jakarta, Singapore, Danang and Ho Chi Minh City sooner. The good thing is they are capturing passengers who are jaded with Batik or AirAsia. AirAsia is finding hard to push their sales nowadays. 

2 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

Nah, that rumour on late salary is false. Don't believe whatever you have heard. They have signed up another 17 A320ceo earlier this year for delivery in the next 24 months. They are wash with "cash" if you know the shareholders' background well. They are merely realigning their aircraft utilisation to match the route demand. With Sibu and Miri temporarily suspended, BKK maybe on the way out, they can start Jakarta, Singapore, Danang and Ho Chi Minh City sooner. The good thing is they are capturing passengers who are jaded with Batik or AirAsia. AirAsia is finding hard to push their sales nowadays. 

How about you ask those working with Myairline yourself and reserve your comments until then. Maybe your opinion will change after that. 

20 minutes ago, Pall said:

How about you ask those working with Myairline yourself and reserve your comments until then. Maybe your opinion will change after that. 

And you know this based on.........?

8 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

Had 2 friends in Myairline who had their salaries delayed twice(still within legal limit of 1 month delay before it can spook the labor dept) for it to happen twice and both seems to concide with aircraft delivery does not really seem good. On operations side 1 left for gulf.

19 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

And you know this based on.........?

Friends who are there and leaving soon. Employer EPF too delayed for up to 3 months. 

It was a big hoo-haa in social media by their unhappy staff as well in case you were following. There was a CFO change as well lately. 

13 hours ago, jahur said:

Had 2 friends in Myairline who had their salaries delayed twice(still within legal limit of 1 month delay before it can spook the labor dept) for it to happen twice and both seems to concide with aircraft delivery does not really seem good. On operations side 1 left for gulf.

Yes, same story heard. The aircraft delayed reason is the "corporate" answer, but its far from the truth. Myairline was suppose to operate 20 aircraft by december, now thats not happening. 

Edited by Pall

16 hours ago, jahur said:

Had 2 friends in Myairline who had their salaries delayed twice (still within legal limit of 1 month delay before it can spook the labor dept) for it to happen twice and both seems to coincide with aircraft delivery does not really seem good. On operations side 1 left for gulf.

Sorry to hear about the predicament. Delay in salary payment is, unfortunately, not against the law as long as the company has approval from the Labour DG. If a company pays its employee usually on the 26th of every month, they are legally permissible to delay the payment up to 7 days from 26th. Anything longer than that will require Labour DG. 

Sadly, more local talent are leaving/ will leave for greener pasture. The issue will get even more critical soon as ME airlines have hundreds of new aircraft on delivery. Malaysia Airlines, Batik, AirAsia and MYAirlines are basically training their staff for airlines in the ME.

00515306-627f-481b-8218-df623b4be159.jpg

Edited by JuliusWong

28 minutes ago, JuliusWong said:

Sadly, more local talent are leaving/ will leave for greener pasture. The issue will get even more critical soon as ME airlines have hundreds of new aircraft on delivery. Malaysia Airlines, Batik, AirAsia and MYAirlines are basically training their staff for airlines in the ME.

00515306-627f-481b-8218-df623b4be159.jpg

Whatever ME is doing its not really ethical looking as a whole especially when they can just omit any bond you owe to your current company, rm150-200k is water for them. But the local asean aviation industry is also at fault for the lackluster pay and benefit trying to facilitate affordable air travel acting oblivious each time manpower situation occurs to a point increased rescheduling % is an acceptable sacrifice. 

Indonesia tried to do a bit of prevention(hours gathered not recognized) but people still leave as the money gathered few years is enough to warrant an early retirement even after tax by indonesia. 

Its a reason why down under got very cautious with letting in gulfs. At ol murica they been barking about it but their very own local customers always talk how great gulf is and blaming american carriers for bailouts while turning a blind eye how much waiver and support the gulfs received from their respective govs for 2 decades. I've seen americans asking gulfs to takeover domestic flights in america thinking the situation would improve. 

Edited by jahur

2 hours ago, jahur said:

Whatever ME is doing its not really ethical looking as a whole especially when they can just omit any bond you owe to your current company, rm150-200k is water for them. But the local asean aviation industry is also at fault for the lackluster pay and benefit trying to facilitate affordable air travel acting oblivious each time manpower situation occurs to a point increased rescheduling % is an acceptable sacrifice. 

Indonesia tried to do a bit of prevention(hours gathered not recognized) but people still leave as the money gathered few years is enough to warrant an early retirement even after tax by indonesia. 

Its a reason why down under got very cautious with letting in gulfs. At ol murica they been barking about it but their very own local customers always talk how great gulf is and blaming american carriers for bailouts while turning a blind eye how much waiver and support the gulfs received from their respective govs for 2 decades. I've seen americans asking gulfs to takeover domestic flights in america thinking the situation would improve. 

Yes, what ME airlines are doing may not be ethical, maybe morally wrong as well, but legally right. That is all that matters. RM150-200K is not water for them, a sneeze for them actually. Haha! They are awash with so much cash, they can offer benefits which even SQ or CX would find it hard to compete. Agreed with what you stated, the local asean aviation industry dirt cheap pay is not doing them any good. I would go as far as Asia Pacific is concerned, our aviation people are grossly underpaid. The only reason some may stay back is due to family or language issue, but ME airlines now offer free housing, subsidized education, free flight tickets home in their purpose-built city, these stumbling blocks has diminished over the years. Also ME is working hard to shed their image being hostile/unfriendly to female. There are few Malay lady pilot from AirAsia Group joined Etihad last year.

We are living on true capitalism era, basically "money talks, people walk". Sad reality but it is what it is. I personally do not think any counter measure done by ASEAN countries will have any effect on the outflow of talent from here to ME or East Asia, exception Singapore I guess. Human being will always seek better living conditions or better pay. All the more with recent massive new aircraft order, ME airlines will ramp up the poaching.

Regarding Americans, Hahaha! I won't comment much, the US is another world. We Malaysians or Asians won't be able to connect thee dots. Sometime I would think Malaysia, by some measures, is better than the US. They still have the mentality the non-whites are inferior than them. Asking ME3 to operate domestic flight is just plain crazy and dumb. They are the ones who want cheap tickets, hence the birth of ULCC Frontier, Allegiant and Spirit, hence the reduced service which impact quality. Remember there was a time when the US Big 3 airlines are bashing ME3+ TK, then all of them now are on the same bed with ME3. LOL......

Edited by JuliusWong

On 10/2/2023 at 12:18 PM, JuliusWong said:

It seems MYAirline maybe discontinuing KUL-BKK route, only KUL-DMK is now bookable to March 2024.

False alarm, they have opened the BKK booking today.

May be an image of 1 person and text that says "MALAYSIA 冰 MYAirline FLY FROM AIRPORT INTERNATIONAL SUVARNABHUM KLIA TERMINAL2 ALL-IN FARE ONE FROM MYR 149 WAY FLY TO BANGKOK FREQUENCY 7X WEEKLY TRAVEL PERIOD 23 OCT 2023 30 MAR 2024 BOOK NOW T&C Apply"

On 10/4/2023 at 11:56 AM, jahur said:

On 10/4/2023 at 2:26 PM, JuliusWong said:

Yes, what ME airlines are doing may not be ethical, maybe morally wrong as well, but legally right. That is all that matters. RM150-200K is not water for them, a sneeze for them actually. Haha! They are awash with so much cash, they can offer benefits which even SQ or CX would find it hard to compete. Agreed with what you stated, the local asean aviation industry dirt cheap pay is not doing them any good. I would go as far as Asia Pacific is concerned, our aviation people are grossly underpaid. The only reason some may stay back is due to family or language issue, but ME airlines now offer free housing, subsidized education, free flight tickets home in their purpose-built city, these stumbling blocks has diminished over the years. Also ME is working hard to shed their image being hostile/unfriendly to female. There are few Malay lady pilot from AirAsia Group joined Etihad last year.

We are living on true capitalism era, basically "money talks, people walk". Sad reality but it is what it is. I personally do not think any counter measure done by ASEAN countries will have any effect on the outflow of talent from here to ME or East Asia, exception Singapore I guess. Human being will always seek better living conditions or better pay. All the more with recent massive new aircraft order, ME airlines will ramp up the poaching.

Regarding Americans, Hahaha! I won't comment much, the US is another world. We Malaysians or Asians won't be able to connect thee dots. Sometime I would think Malaysia, by some measures, is better than the US. They still have the mentality the non-whites are inferior than them. Asking ME3 to operate domestic flight is just plain crazy and dumb. They are the ones who want cheap tickets, hence the birth of ULCC Frontier, Allegiant and Spirit, hence the reduced service which impact quality. Remember there was a time when the US Big 3 airlines are bashing ME3+ TK, then all of them now are on the same bed with ME3. LOL......

Likewise, mas was losing about rm 800m per year for decades and was supported by sugar daddy.

8 hours ago, KK Lee said:

Likewise, mas was losing about rm 800m per year for decades and was supported by sugar daddy.

Too bad MH’s sugar daddy not as posh as those ME airlines.. 

MYAirline CEO resigns?

It remains unclear on why Teo had resigned but MYAirline had also recently lost a number of its top executives including its chief financial officer and chief commercial officer.

There were also talks that the carrier is facing financial issues as payments to its services providers were either delayed or remained unpaid as at time of writing.

Staff salaries were also not paid on time for several months.

Edited by jahur

MYAirline CEO Steps Down Due To Health Reasons
08/10/2023 11:27 PM

https://www.bernama.com/en/business/news.php?id=2232843

KUALA LUMPUR, Oct 8 (Bernama) -- MYAirline Sdn Bhd today announced that Rayner Teo has resigned as its  chief executive officer (CEO), effective Oct 7, 2023, due to health considerations. 
Meanwhile, chief operating officer Stuart Cross  will assume the responsibilities of interim CEO, the low-cost carrier said.

“The board of directors of MYAirline will appoint a new CEO in due course which will also be subject to regulatory approvals,” it said in a statement today. 

MYAirline said Teo’s vision and leadership have been instrumental in the carrier’s rise since its launch in December 2022. It also said that the board of directors has extended its deepest gratitude to Rayner for hisboutstanding contributions and unwavering dedication to MYAirline.

“We wholeheartedly support Rayner’s decision to prioritise his health and well-being. With an existing robust team of experienced airline leadership, our commitment to our passengers,
employees, and partners remains steadfast.

“We will continue to deliver exceptional services and uphold our high standards of safety and reliability,” it said. 

On its operations, MYAirline said it is in advanced stages of finalising strategic partnerships that hold significant promise for the future growth of the airline and the team has been  working diligently to ensure all necessary steps  taken to facilitate a seamless integration of any strategic partnership.

It also said its operations remain steadfast although  it has been necessary to consolidate certain routes as it transitions from its first summer to winter flight schedules.

“The situation has been further compounded by the delayed delivery of some aircraft that were originally scheduled to be operational by now,” it explained.

MYAirline expressed confidence that the dedicated team and leadership will continue to drive success as it continues to evolve and expand across the region.
-- BERNAMA

12 minutes ago, JuliusWong said:

MYAirline CEO Steps Down Due To Health Reasons
08/10/2023 11:27 PM

https://www.bernama.com/en/business/news.php?id=2232843

KUALA LUMPUR, Oct 8 (Bernama) -- MYAirline Sdn Bhd today announced that Rayner Teo has resigned as its  chief executive officer (CEO), effective Oct 7, 2023, due to health considerations. 
Meanwhile, chief operating officer Stuart Cross  will assume the responsibilities of interim CEO, the low-cost carrier said.

“The board of directors of MYAirline will appoint a new CEO in due course which will also be subject to regulatory approvals,” it said in a statement today. 

MYAirline said Teo’s vision and leadership have been instrumental in the carrier’s rise since its launch in December 2022. It also said that the board of directors has extended its deepest gratitude to Rayner for hisboutstanding contributions and unwavering dedication to MYAirline.

“We wholeheartedly support Rayner’s decision to prioritise his health and well-being. With an existing robust team of experienced airline leadership, our commitment to our passengers,
employees, and partners remains steadfast.

“We will continue to deliver exceptional services and uphold our high standards of safety and reliability,” it said. 

On its operations, MYAirline said it is in advanced stages of finalising strategic partnerships that hold significant promise for the future growth of the airline and the team has been  working diligently to ensure all necessary steps  taken to facilitate a seamless integration of any strategic partnership.

It also said its operations remain steadfast although  it has been necessary to consolidate certain routes as it transitions from its first summer to winter flight schedules.

“The situation has been further compounded by the delayed delivery of some aircraft that were originally scheduled to be operational by now,” it explained.

MYAirline expressed confidence that the dedicated team and leadership will continue to drive success as it continues to evolve and expand across the region.
-- BERNAMA

Hopefully this ex-CEO cope well and recover. 

Again with too many top post executives, C-suites post holders resigning in a span of 3 months. It does send out a worrying signal. 

36 minutes ago, jahur said:

MYAirline CEO resigns?

It remains unclear on why Teo had resigned but MYAirline had also recently lost a number of its top executives including its chief financial officer and chief commercial officer.

There were also talks that the carrier is facing financial issues as payments to its services providers were either delayed or remained unpaid as at time of writing.

Staff salaries were also not paid on time for several months.

Believe the ceo mentioned health issues. But for the others reasons are more vague.

I won't look too much into the previous CCO resignation. In his LinkedIn page he did not acknowledged his appointment as MYAirline CCO. Not sure if he did so purposely or??? The individual recently has been with Binance for a year before joining MYAirlines, surprisingly before Binance tanked. Before that, five years with Maxis (2017 - 2022). Before that, a year as advisor with Grab and two years with Grab SEA. He was with AirAsia for eight years with Group Strategic Director between 2007 to 2015. Right before that with Malaysia Airlines for two years with Malaysia Airlines Manager, Investor Relations (Aug 2004 to July 2005) and Manager, Turnaround Management (Aug 2005 to Aug 2006). Apart from his time with Maxis and AirAsia, the other tenures were very short. 

Well, his new role is Chief Venture Officer of Gentari, a clean energy solutions company, wholly owned by PETRONAS. Given any individual on the street, of course one will job hop to Petronas. LOL!

Edited by JuliusWong

Sign in to follow this