MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
JuliusWong

MAHB in final stage of assessing RM400mil aerotrain bids

56 minutes ago, JuliusWong said:

MAHB aka Khazanah Nasional and MOT, all three parties are culpable. Sometimes I wonder those paper smart all stars scholars in Khazanah Nasional knows what they are doing.

Managed to do some digging, here are the list of MDs, and GCEO of MAHB over the years:

1.    Datuk Iskandar Mizal Mahmood, Managing Director – October 25, 2021 - Current
2.    Datuk Mohd Shukrie Mohd Salleh, GCEO MAHB – March 2, 2020 – October 24, 2021
3.    Raja Azmi Raja Nazuddin, GCEO MAHB – Jan 4, 2019 - Jan 6, 2020
4.    Datuk Mohd Badlisham Ghazali, Managing Director – June 23, 2014 - June 22, 2018
5.    Tan Sri Bashir Ahmad, Managing Director – June 7, 2003 – June 22, 2014

To complete the list, our MOT over the years:

1. Anthony Loke Siew Fook: December 3, 2022 – Incumbent     
  2. Wee Ka Siong: March 10, 2020 – November 24, 2022
  3. Anthony Loke Siew Fook: May 1, 2018 – February 24, 2020  
  4. Liow Tiong Lai: June 27, 2014 – May 9, 2018
  5. Hishammuddin Hussein: May 16, 2013 – June 24, 2014
  6. Kong Cho Ha: June 4, 2010 – May 5, 2013
  7. Ong Tee Keat: March 18, 2008 – June 3, 2010           
  8. Chan Kong Choy: July 1, 2003 – March 9, 2008         
  9. Ling Liong Sik: January 7, 1986 – May 25, 2003

The replacement plan could have started in between Chan Kong Choy's and Ong Tee Keat's era, then implemented during Kong CH's era. Another replacement during first tenure of Anthony Loke and Wee KS. Oh well, politics....

Edited by JuliusWong

It seems to me that we somehow dislike long-term planning, and prefer ad-hoc actions:

1) Aerotrain issues (end of lifespan - should have been replaced before problem occurs)

2) Alteration of original KLIA Masterplan (later got problem with soil at KLIA2 aka Terminal 2 site)

3) MAS fleet renewal problems (A330s replacement, if not mistaken)

Why? and why?

4 hours ago, Alif A. F. said:

It seems to me that we somehow dislike long-term planning, and prefer ad-hoc actions:

1) Aerotrain issues (end of lifespan - should have been replaced before problem occurs)

2) Alteration of original KLIA Masterplan (later got problem with soil at KLIA2 aka Terminal 2 site)

3) MAS fleet renewal problems (A330s replacement, if not mistaken)

Why? and why?

I think for #3, A330 replacement was still a small matter. It was the choice issue (between A330neo and B787) and delivery timing. The major one was B747 and B777 replacement. It was supposed to be B77W, but was "instructed" to change to A380!  B777 to date has no replacement at all. LOL!

Talked to someone who is familiar with the klia aerotrain; it seems, different vendors have submitted a number of proposals to mahb in the last few years and mahb ignored them all.

Believe or not; crossover switch between the existing tracks and the Operation, Maintenance and Storage Facility (OMSF) doesn't work. OMSF is practically useless and why aerotrain maintenance is carry out at the satellite station.

Not that current rolling stock from bombardier couldn't be repaired. It is just purely mahb mismanagement and incompetency.

Edited by KK Lee

21 minutes ago, KK Lee said:

Talked to someone who is familiar with the klia aerotrain; it seems, different vendors have submitted a number of proposals to mahb in the last few years and mahb ignored them all.

Believe or not; crossover switch between the existing tracks and the Operation, Maintenance and Storage Facility (OMSF) doesn't work. OMSF is practically useless and why aerotrain maintenance is carry out at the satellite station.

Not that current rolling stock from bombardier couldn't be repaired. It is just purely mahb mismanagement and incompetency.

Hahaha, no surprise here. But then again current cart is from late 90s technology, already obsolete by now. We are in 2023, how long can Bombardier support the 90s products even if they are still manufacturing parts. Definitely not for another 10 years. Now they need to rip the whole track out and redo everything from scratch. Read that Narita used to have the same system, but after few breakdown, the management shut it down for good, ripped it apart and now using bus shuttling between the three terminals.

Edited by JuliusWong

2 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

I think for #3, A330 replacement was still a small matter. It was the choice issue (between A330neo and B787) and delivery timing. The major one was B747 and B777 replacement. It was supposed to be B77W, but was "instructed" to change to A380!  B777 to date has no replacement at all. LOL!

Ah yes thanks for your input! But, A350 is the supposed 777 successor right?

Anyway, back to the real topic...:)

2 hours ago, KK Lee said:

So should MAVCOM conduct an investigation?

2 hours ago, Alif A. F. said:

Ah yes thanks for your input! But, A350 is the supposed 777 successor right?

Anyway, back to the real topic...:)

A350 "replaced" both B747 and A380.

The ideal initial replacement should be B747 > B777-300ER > A350. B777-200ER > B787. 

However it became B747 > A380 > A350. B777-200ER > ???? (B777-200ER routes were either cancelled or downgraded to A330-300 2nd gen) (B787-10 would be ideal).

A330-300 (first gen) > A330-300 (2nd gen) > A330-900neo (B787-9 could do the job as well)

B737NG > B737max (this is given)

Some coverage in the Expat magazine:

https://www.expatgo.com/my/2023/03/05/klia-plagued-by-a-series-of-seemingly-avoidable-problems/?fbclid=IwAR1IH9iRYpQU62euWGlAJW9rwdG2NbbJ1gnVTc3wk93IHVbzqI4WV55cXiw

In addition when you look at the stats on the KLIA website for Feb its says

Baggage arrived within 40 mins

T1: 72%  / T2: 91%

T1 seems pretty poor most of teh time and the staff tell me its insufficient and slow workers

F&B

F&B T1 45 out off 54 opened
F&B T2 87 out of 133 opened

Retail and Services

T1: 124 out of 130 opened

T2: 146 out of 175 opened

My perception of T1 is that there seems to be a lot of places opening soon or just boarded up.

Overall not great reading

My conclusion is that MAHB enjoyed the long slumber and is having a great deal of difficulty waking up. So sad...

Makes me also think if there was alternative design which does not require moving passengers between buildings or teminals using automated people mover.

Cant really compare KLIA with Changi since the former also deals with domestic passenger flow, meaning that the final design probably aims to simplify that flow, by combining with international pax in a single terminal building then separate them into different areas/buildings.

An alternative design could have been less 'high tech', but serves the purpose (of moving pax) more efficiently. Of course I still like the overall sleek and immaculate design of KLIA.

On 3/6/2023 at 7:25 PM, JuliusWong said:

Hahaha, no surprise here. But then again current cart is from late 90s technology, already obsolete by now. We are in 2023, how long can Bombardier support the 90s products even if they are still manufacturing parts. Definitely not for another 10 years. Now they need to rip the whole track out and redo everything from scratch. Read that Narita used to have the same system, but after few breakdown, the management shut it down for good, ripped it apart and now using bus shuttling between the three terminals.

not the best source, but according to WiKi Narita was more like a "horizontal lift" ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narita_Airport_Terminal_2_Shuttle_System  Definitely not the same system as KLIA since I remember the KLIA aerotrain has rubber wheels.

also in Narita it was eventually removed, but the space was built up into retails space instead. Perhaps KLIA was thinking going the way of KLIA2/T2 , long corridors with the occasional travelator ?

just a wild guess but having 1st hand experience of how suppliers squeeze (old high rise, lift company has a basic monopoly on parts.) and they are charging close to a new lift system every 10 years. Why not just change to a new system? Because the users can't accept the downtime / hassle of having some of the lifts out of action.

but in KLIA case, the downtime is already here ... so what's left to see how much they're going to spend to get it going again.

5 hours ago, Alif A. F. said:

Makes me also think if there was alternative design which does not require moving passengers between buildings or teminals using automated people mover.

Cant really compare KLIA with Changi since the former also deals with domestic passenger flow, meaning that the final design probably aims to simplify that flow, by combining with international pax in a single terminal building then separate them into different areas/buildings.

An alternative design could have been less 'high tech', but serves the purpose (of moving pax) more efficiently. Of course I still like the overall sleek and immaculate design of KLIA.

FRA T1 allow separation of domestic, international arrival and international departure pax in a single terminal.

Edited by KK Lee

8 hours ago, Alif A. F. said:

There are plenty of airports that have domestic and international within the same terminal. KLIA T1 accomplishes that just fine at the MTB...assuming nobody forgets to direct inbound international pax towards immigration. 

On 3/7/2023 at 6:20 PM, Alif A. F. said:

Current BKK does. But if you have a short connection and you are running from end of C to E/F/G gates, good luck. D concourse is very long. HKG original Y design doesn't require the use of a train if you don't want to. I think the intention of the train was to minimize walking for passengers - take the train from main concourse to satellite and passengers do not have to walk very far to the gates (furthest gate would be C27). The original KLIA plan calls for 2 satellite (which I assume D gates) and Terminal 2 is going to be a mirror image of Terminal 1 but obviously this didn't pan out as it was design before AK/D7/other LCC.

On 3/8/2023 at 3:12 AM, Chris Tan said:

There are plenty of airports that have domestic and international within the same terminal. KLIA T1 accomplishes that just fine at the MTB...assuming nobody forgets to direct inbound international pax towards immigration. 

My sister flew in from HKG and was wondering why she couldn't access the international baggage belt 😂. Still much better than BKI/KCH where anyone can just enter Sabah/Sarawak using their "domestic" arrivals.

Aerotrain replacement underway, one rail line on track to operate next year - MAHB

Article

Eta June 2024 one track. I give maybe 3-6months more of additional delays by malaysian standards. 

14 hours ago, jahur said:

Aerotrain replacement underway, one rail line on track to operate next year - MAHB

I forgot if I read it here or somewhere else. The whole track (rail) needs to be swapped out as well because the rail we used are no longer in production?

Sign in to follow this