MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
JuliusWong

MAHB in final stage of assessing RM400mil aerotrain bids

KUALA LUMPUR: The tender to replace Kuala Lumpur International Airport's ageing aerotrains, estimated at RM400 million, is at the final stage of evaluation process.

Malaysia Airport Holdings Bhd said it had identified a final shortlist of bidders for KLIA's Automated People Mover (APM) tender after completing the technical evaluation stage.

The shortlisted bidders are now being assessed on their commercial offers.

The tender was expected to be concluded over the next two months, MAHB said in a statement.

https://www.nst.com.my/business/2021/08/722373/mahb-final-stage-assessing-rm400mil-aerotrain-bids?fbclid=IwAR30EHTjQHKPvher7Zaxm3jfoxb2Y003UIY5qj9_5wRYy0yG8jKAXDloS_o

Let's hope they can utilise current pandemic to upgrade the service at soonest and we can put those bad episodes of train breakdown behind for good. Good time to start few new shell-companies to receive gomen project. Any bidders?

1 hour ago, Craig said:

Damn long wait. Same with our LCA batch 1. Nearly 2 years to study and 1 year for tender. Other countries like indonesia and Philippines the tender process can be as quick as 3months and study is only less than a year. I recall our aerotrain replacement project has already been discussed since 2017. I hope they dont say they studied it for 5 years and just say financial/funding issue Lol 

We seriously need to overhaul how we procure stuff cause they just drag too long or we will be left out. 

Edited by jahur

On 11/26/2022 at 11:30 AM, jahur said:

Damn long wait. Same with our LCA batch 1. Nearly 2 years to study and 1 year for tender. Other countries like indonesia and Philippines the tender process can be as quick as 3months and study is only less than a year. I recall our aerotrain replacement project has already been discussed since 2017. I hope they dont say they studied it for 5 years and just say financial/funding issue Lol 

We seriously need to overhaul how we procure stuff cause they just drag too long or we will be left out. 

Well, with the recent mind-blowing newly set-up company getting national defense contract, with doubtful credentials and experience that is, this two-to-five years timeline should be in line to hoodwink the public a two-to five-years old company "should" and "must" be able to handle a big project. Need to set up a new company to grease the process, earn commission and after sales service (if it ever exist). Malaysia Boleh!

The worlds longest waiting period for an aerotrain to be repaired, fixed and replaced if need be and yet MAHB is showing annual profits without spending! Oh what a wait!!! 🤐

No surprises here - thats the way it is in Malaysia. Lets hope that the new Minister of Transport will kick ass.

On 12/13/2022 at 10:48 AM, flee said:

No surprises here - thats the way it is in Malaysia. Lets hope that the new Minister of Transport will kick ass.

🤐

Lol !!! Not the first time, I was once in the train and it stopped midway just upon reaching the Satellite building. A technician had to walk over and open the door to enter the train and then manually and slowly moved the train to the terminal. This was at the end of 2019. Why can't they just repair the tracks and trains and completely use the buses to ferry passengers? 

I wonder what excuse they have for such an incompetent reason !

Not to worry the replacement trains will arrive in 2025. We have 4 sets of gov and now the 5th. No one bats an eye to approve mahb in replacing the aerotrain since 2014. But no issues with administering staff bonuses.

Sip of copium. 

Edited by jahur

Unsurprisingly, the service is now suspended: https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia/2023/03/02/klias-aerotrain-service-halted-as-precaution/57638

Amongst the airports in this region, we don't often hear about unreliability of airside inter terminal trains at Changi or HKIA. It seems like the poor maintenance culture in Malaysia is something we are so proud of that nothing is done to improve matters.

In service since 1998, and never bothered to maintain well, let alone upgrade. The new one will only be operational by the end of this decade. CEO makan gaji buta, shake legs and pays compensation to IR court rather than getting house together. Mind you his salary is RM320K a year with bonus.

Recently MAHB just lost an IR court case for firing their previous Senior Manager of IT Dept, blaming her for the 2019 shutdown. She has given many warnings and submitted proposals to upgrade the system since there was no upgrade since KLIA opened 25 years ago, however they turned blind eyes. The ex-Senior Manager was awarded RM800k as compensation for wrongful dismissal.

MAHB just like MAB, loaded with stupids and bodoh sombong individuals.

MAHB apologises to passengers left stranded after Aerotrain breaks down between terminals

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2023/03/02/mahb-apologises-to-passengers-left-stranded-after-aerotrain-breaks-down-between-terminals

"We had immediately sent a second train to ferry the passengers for the rest of the journey but unfortunately, the second train also experienced technical difficulties.

"This resulted in the passengers having to walk to the Satellite Building to complete their journey," it said.

"We are also getting the airlines’ help to facilitate passengers who may have missed their flights due to the situation," it said.

The airport company said it had halted all Aerotrain operations until further notice in order to rectify the technical issue.

How is it MAHB's fault became the airline's fault?? Goodness gracious, even the second train developed technical fault. 

Just checked Changi's airside skytrain. Came to service in 1990. Replacement fitted in 2006. As of 2022 another replacement plan for 2024 installation. Not include additional trains that were added in 2002 and 2012. Trains averagely replaced by 16 years of age.

KLIA aerotrain 1998 commencement. Only actual replacement happening in 2025 by then the trains are easily 27 years old lol. Note bombardier recommends retirement for the said model by age 20. So  we are basically extending the lifespan of this train by 5 years now.

Edited by jahur

17 minutes ago, jahur said:

Just checked Changi's airside skytrain. Came to service in 1990. Replacement fitted in 2006. As of 2022 another replacement plan for 2024 installation. Not include additional trains that were added in 2002 and 2012. Trains averagely replaced by 16 years of age.

KLIA aerotrain 1998 commencement. Only actual replacement happening in 2025 by then the trains are easily 27 years old lol.

That is assuming the current trains can reach age of 27. Currently they are already in CCU, can't imagine for next 36 months. 

While Changi is upgrading its skytrain system,  it is also heavily renovating T2 after T1 renovation in 2011. T2 renovation started in Jan 2020, scheduled to complete in 2024. Together with T3, Changi's total capacity will increase to 90 million passengers a year. By 2030s, T5 will add another 50 million passengers capacity. What is MAHB plan for KLIA? 

Edited by JuliusWong

Well said and I don't think they have a plan while they mess up further. No directions and  switching off the air-conditioning at the Anjung Tinjau has also helped them gain more $$$ !!! This is why SGN and CGK and SIN will continue to lead the aviation growth in Southeast Asia while KUL lags behind, sadly!!

1 hour ago, kandiah k said:

Well said and I don't think they have a plan while they mess up further. No directions and  switching off the air-conditioning at the Anjung Tinjau has also helped them gain more $$$ !!! This is why SGN and CGK and SIN will continue to lead the aviation growth in Southeast Asia while KUL lags behind, sadly!!

I see that the current Transport Minister has visited KUL and PEN airports. I wonder if he will be able to move anything, given that previous BN Transport Ministers have been enjoying "gaji buta" for a long time!

Although not directly related to KLIA, I think the poor management and organisation of the F1 Grand Prix in its final 10 years was an early indication of the decline of KLIA. Nowadays, F1 is enjoying tremendous popularity and if we still had a F1 Malaysian GP, it would have helped in attracting more high spending tourists to the country. 

The Middle Eastern counties (Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Abu Dhabi) are falling over themselves in bidding to host F1 as they know its commercial value. Unfortunately, the BN govt. of the jailed former PM sucked so much money out of the economy that there is no money left for hosting the F1 GP. Sad!

Service now halted, Loke says KLIA aerotrains at end of lifespan and will take two years to replace

"We must remember that KLIA was opened in 1998. So today, it will have been almost 25 years.

"So of course the aerotrains are now reaching the end of their lifespan,” he said.

https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia/2023/03/03/service-now-halted-loke-says-klia-aerotrains-at-end-of-lifespan-and-will-take-two-years-to-replace/57847

Guna sampai rosak. Baru je plan nak replace  LOL.

Next in queue
MAG's ATR-72s operating past 10 years old.
All corvette class ships in the navy operating close to 40 years.
50% of the fast attack craft in the navy.

The only things that politicians know how to replace frequently are their official cars.

On 3/4/2023 at 5:44 PM, jahur said:

Service now halted, Loke says KLIA aerotrains at end of lifespan and will take two years to replace

"We must remember that KLIA was opened in 1998. So today, it will have been almost 25 years.

"So of course the aerotrains are now reaching the end of their lifespan,” he said.

https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia/2023/03/03/service-now-halted-loke-says-klia-aerotrains-at-end-of-lifespan-and-will-take-two-years-to-replace/57847

Guna sampai rosak. Baru je plan nak replace  LOL.

Hahahaha, right? I was laughing so hard!! Until the manufacturer no longer supports or makes the parts anymore. OMG! Remind me of all those ATMs they need to stop using cause Microsoft stopped supporting WindowXP! OMG! No wonder the country is in a shambles. Nothing works properly and efficiently. LRT out of order, KTM slow AF, frequency down the drain, let's not start on RFID for toll payment. Three ministries can't get the issue sorted. Bahahahhaha! 

On 3/4/2023 at 11:09 PM, Robert said:

So who's fault is it that it wasn't replaced earlier ?

MAHB aka Khazanah Nasional and MOT, all three parties are culpable. Sometimes I wonder those paper smart all stars scholars in Khazanah Nasional knows what they are doing.

Managed to do some digging, here are the list of MDs, and GCEO of MAHB over the years:

1.    Datuk Iskandar Mizal Mahmood, Managing Director – October 25, 2021 - Current
2.    Datuk Mohd Shukrie Mohd Salleh, GCEO MAHB – March 2, 2020 – October 24, 2021
3.    Raja Azmi Raja Nazuddin, GCEO MAHB – Jan 4, 2019 - Jan 6, 2020
4.    Datuk Mohd Badlisham Ghazali, Managing Director – June 23, 2014 - June 22, 2018
5.    Tan Sri Bashir Ahmad, Managing Director – June 7, 2003 – June 22, 2014

Edited by JuliusWong

Sign in to follow this