MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Edwin Yii

National Geographic Channel's Air Crash Investigation

Yeah managed to catch the 2pm replay.

Indeed it's sad and tragic. :(

When did this happen? I missed the 1st 10 minutes. In the 70s?

I remember seeing an Air France B777, CO B767 and KLM B744.. in the programme

eh, that doesnt sound right - it happened in the 70s, before 744, 767, 777 started flying. Probably you are talking about 742 or 741 and DC-8s and 707. Maybe A300?

Anyway, they showed this programme (don't know which one) on the German channel last week. The KLM pilot was made out to be totally impatient, although I am sure the dutch would not agree that this is the true version of events.

What struck me was that the fog was so thick that while all the rescue services rushed to the KLM aircraft, no one realized in the first 20 minutes that the Pan Am wreckage was just 300 meters away. They did not realize that the KLM plane had crashed into the Pan Am. And there was hardly anyone left to save from the KLM plane, while at the Pan Am aircraft, a lot more survivors were just waiting for help. That fog must have been really thick!

eh, that doesnt sound right - it happened in the 70s, before 744, 767, 777 started flying. Probably you are talking about 742 or 741 and DC-8s and 707. Maybe A300?

The movie maker screwed up by using footages of modern planes, non-existent during the time of the event. I spotted 744s too! Yes, you saw the same show we saw last night. Capt. van Zanten was made the main culprit.

.ny

But anyway, the version of NGC didn't actually blame on the pilots... There were communication mistake in their version. And I think the version of NGC is much more detailed although their show is just an hour.

Anyway, they showed this programme (don't know which one) on the German channel last week. The KLM pilot was made out to be totally impatient, although I am sure the dutch would not agree that this is the true version of events.

AFAIK, it was in March 1977...

KLM was a Boeing 747-200 PH-BUF...

Why would the Dutch not agree with the stressed KLM captain ? it was true, for the maximum allowable duty-hours of the crew came into question...

Check the following link for a complete review:

http://www.airmanshiponline.com/fall99/art...99-tenerife.htm

what i found to be quite disturbing is that the programme portrayed that the KLM's crews were working under a stressful condition while the PAn Am were in joyful and happy mood hence indicating the blame should be put on the KLM...another US's propaganda maybe?? :rolleyes: ....the Air CRash INvestigation episode on the similar event seemed to be more transparent where the main factor for the incident was said to be caused by error of the radio transmission...

Look, i recently found out that idscovery channel is the less objective channel of the three, even animal planet is more objective.

They claimed that internet was invented by americans, the 747-100 is the biggest airplane ever made, the fastest and with the longer range. They also said that the japoneese were responsible of hiroshima. Not to mention their political documentaries.

what is that KLM flight hours rules i heard the KLM captain say u will lost your pilot license, jobsn peanalty etc?

the reason Pa Am pilot are happy because they dun have the rule on the working hours... unlike KLM....

Edited by Abel E

New episodes start this week on 5/6/07 - every Tuesday at 9pm on National Geographic.

Synopses for June (from Wikipedia):

aci1ll0.gif

+++

Edited by Naim

Thanks for the sharing Niam! I want to watch the BA #9 the most!! But I've got an exam the next day!! Oh god...... :cray:

Thanks for the sharing Niam! I want to watch the BA #9 the most!! But I've got an exam the next day!! Oh god...... :cray:

record la bro...

even better if u have AstroMax (a godsend) :pardon:

those good old VHS tape recorders come handy when you dont have time to watch a show. Just set the timer and channel and it'll record the show...my cheap astromax...hehe.

You can download all these here AIR CRASH :rolleyes:

The 'provider', apapele, has posted on youtube as well but not the whole 1 hour show. only at those critical moments. search for more of his air crash videos on youtube by his nick - apapele.

BTW, thanks for the info Naim. only 4 episodes?

Edited by Yusoff

record la bro...

even better if u have AstroMax (a godsend) :pardon:

No money to go for AstroMax lar... But now with the link that YuhLoh provided! Nothing should be worried anymore... Haha... Thank you very much!! :drinks: :drinks:

those good old VHS tape recorders come handy when you dont have time to watch a show. Just set the timer and channel and it'll record the show...my cheap astromax...hehe.

yahoo..... i use the same cheapo astromax. :lol: :rofl:

anywway, really thanks a lot for the information, Naim. :)

No money to go for AstroMax lar... But now with the link that YuhLoh provided! Nothing should be worried anymore... Haha... Thank you very much!! :drinks: :drinks:

Try to catch the reruns. Normally new episodes are repeated over the weekends or the following weeks. Check www.astro.com.my or www.ngcasia.com for rerun times.

+++

BA9 is legendary, the announcement made by the captain over the PA is considered one of the understatements of the century.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your Captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress."

Will they show Panic Over the Pacific, Out of Sight, Fog of War, Deadly Disorientation & Ghost Plane?

I got the whole collection except these four... :mellow:

The last one i watch was "Hanging By A Thread", it 's about the Aloha 732 which the front part of the roof torn off because of decompression.

Azuddin