MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

Saving Airasia Group and Airasia X: Covid-19 Recovery Thread

AirAsia converts 36 of its A321neo orders to A321LRs, awaits Bursa's nod over merger

By BILQIS BAHARI - February 22, 2024 @ 8:24pm

https://www.nst.com.my/business/corporate/2024/02/1016602/airasia-converts-36-its-a321neo-orders-a321lrs-awaits-bursas-nod

SEPANG: Capital A Bhd's airline unit AirAsia Bhd has converted 36 of its A321neo (new engine option) orders to A321LR (long-range) as it aims to merge its short-haul and long-haul divisions into one global network. 

The company's chief executive officer (CEO) Tan Sri Tony Fernandes said the decision to change the aircraft type is so that AirAsia could have more flying range to connect the Southeast Asia region to Africa, Europe and America. 

"It's traditionally never been done by low-cost carriers but we believe now that with the aircraft that Airbus has given us – the A321, A321LR, A330neo and soon to come the A321XLR (extra long-range), we can build the first global network carrier and connect the world with low fares through our hubs in Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok and Jakarta," he said.

Tony added that the A321LR aircraft is slated to be delivered starting 2025.

The current order book (after the aircraft type conversion) for AirAsia Aviation Group Ltd (AAGL) – an umbrella company for AirAsia and its subsidiaries in Thailand, Indonesia, the Philippines and Cambodia – and AirAsia X Bhd including its Thailand and Indonesia units stood at 647

Of the 647 airplanes, 326 are A321neos, 36 A321LRs and 15 A330neos, 20 A321XLR (extra long-range) and 250 aircraft comprises of A320s, A321neos and A330ceos (current engine option) which were delivered from 2005.

AirAsia reveals plan to become the world’s first low-cost network carrier during Airbus’ leadership visit

https://newsroom.aviator.aero/airasia-reveals-plan-to-become-the-worlds-first-low-cost-network-carrier-during-airbus-leadership-visit/

Airbus’ Commercial Aircraft CEO Christian Scherer celebrates long-standing partnership with AirAsia during a visit to HQ

SEPANG, 22 February 2024 - AirAsia today unveiled plans to launch the world’s first low-cost network carrier, leveraging 22 years of its unique multi-hub strategy through its airlines in Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, the Philippines, and soon Cambodia.

The announcement was made during a welcoming ceremony of the recently appointed Chief Executive Officer of the Commercial Aircraft business of Airbus, Christian Scherer, to RedQ - AirAsia’s corporate headquarters in Malaysia. Hundreds of AirAsia staff, CEOs and management turned out in force to greet the illustrious Airbus leader during his first visit as CEO to the home of over 6,000 team members called Allstars. 

Airbus-Meeting-22-Feb-2024--FINAL--3.png

AirAsia converts A321neo to LRs; to resume deliveries

https://www.ch-aviation.com/news/137444-airasia-converts-a321neo-to-lrs-to-resume-deliveries

AirAsia (AK, Kuala Lumpur International) has converted 36 orders for A321-200NX to the A321-200NX(LR) variant as it prepares its narrowbody fleet for a planned merger with the long-haul unit AirAsia X (D7, Kuala Lumpur International), the CEO of parent holding Capital A Tony Fernandes told reporters during a briefing.

"It's traditionally never been done by low-cost carriers, but we believe now that with the aircraft that Airbus has given us, the A321-200NX, A321-200NX(LR), A330-900, and soon to come the A321-200NY(XLR), we can build the first global network carrier and connect the world with low fares through our hubs in Kuala Lumpur International, Bangkok Don Mueang, and Jakarta Soekarno-Hatta," he declared.

The A321-200NX(LR)s are scheduled to start delivering in 2025. AirAsia currently has a firm order for 362 A321-200NX powered by CFM International LEAP-1A engines, and the bulk of the commitment will remain in the non-(LR) variant for now. While AirAsia has not taken any new aircraft since the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic, as it was heavily affected by restrictions on travel across Southeast Asia, it is now picking up the pace.

The ch-aviation fleets history module shows the last new aircraft to deliver to the group were three A321-200NX to AirAsia and Thai AirAsia (FD, Bangkok Don Mueang) inducted on December 31, 2019. Since then, the group has added a limited number of second-hand aircraft, but Fernandes expects deliveries direct from Airbus to resume in June 2024. A total of 24 new aircraft are expected by the end of this year.

In terms of the A320neo Family, the Malaysian carrier also operates twenty-nine A320-200Ns and two A321-200NX, while Thai AirAsia operates eleven A320neo and two A321neo. Both airlines, as well as Philippines AirAsia (Z2, Manila Ninoy Aquino International) and Indonesia AirAsia (QZ, Jakarta Soekarno-Hatta), also operate A320-200s.

The aircraft will complement the twenty A321-200NY(XLR)s on order by AirAsiaX. The long-haul unit currently operates eighteen A330-300s and has fifteen -900s on order.

Fernandes emphasised that the LRs would increase the carrier's flexibility in serving destinations in North Asia, Australia, and Central Asia. On an unrelated point, he pledged to launch services to Kenya - the group's first African destination - by the end of 2024. Going forward, the carrier plans to use the A330neo for a much broader intercontinental expansion, including through a host of fifth-freedom routes. Currently, the group's only intercontinental routes are to Australia.

"The network expansion is to cities like London, Paris, Amsterdam Schiphol, Bratislava, Barcelona El Prat, Copenhagen Kastrup, Cairo International, Nairobi Jomo Kenyatta, and Cape Town International. East Coast in North America - New York, Miami International, Toronto Pearson - will be via Europe, and West Coast - San Francisco, Los Angeles International, Vancouver International - via Japan," he said.

Fernandes added that the proposed sale of AirAsia and AirAsia Aviation Group, the investment vehicle for AirAsia-branded carriers outside Malaysia, to AirAsia X was progressing.

"It's moving. It's off the airbridge. It's moving towards the runway," he said. "The stages would be approval from the stock exchange, sale and purchase agreement signed, shareholders' approval, court and raising capital. To do this plan, we also need to raise capital".

As usual with the AirAsia group there’s lots of promises, spruiking and announcements, which seldom doesn’t seem to materialise into anything.

Is there any timeframes when the next factory fresh frames will be actually be delivered to the group?

I might be wrong here, but I believe the last factory fresh frame was delivered back in August 2019 and that was -RAT a A320CEO to AK. 

3 hours ago, Tom/PER said:

I might be wrong here, but I believe the last factory fresh frame was delivered back in August 2019 and that was -RAT a A320CEO to AK. 

It was FD's HS-EAB on 31 Dec 2019.

I believe they are expecting 5 factory fresh A321 Neos this year - but, as usual, supply chains will have to be reliable. Otherwise, deliveries will slip.

Edited by flee

On 2/24/2024 at 10:42 AM, Tom/PER said:

As usual with the AirAsia group there’s lots of promises, spruiking and announcements, which seldom doesn’t seem to materialise into anything.

Is there any timeframes when the next factory fresh frames will be actually be delivered to the group?

Given ak track record on debts repayment in the last few years. It is not easy for find lenders willing to offer cheap interest rate, less stringent terms and conditions. 

24 new aircraft delivery this year from June 2024, one new aircraft every week on average till Dec 2024. That is a lot of capacity to absorb with all deliveries being A321neo...not sure if he is quoted wrongly. 

1 hour ago, JuliusWong said:

24 new aircraft delivery this year from June 2024, one new aircraft every week on average till Dec 2024. That is a lot of capacity to absorb with all deliveries being A321neo...not sure if he is quoted wrongly. 

When I read that, I was highly sceptical - they have not received so many aircraft in a year before - right now, only AK and FD are capable of filling A321 Neos. If it is true that so many aircraft are coming from TLS, maybe the rest of the group will receive some - and old A320 Ceos may go to Cambodia or leave the fleet.

Edited by flee

On 1/6/2024 at 9:16 PM, Tom/PER said:

-XXR has returned from heavy maintenance in Manila and is back hard at work, anyone know what livery she’s returned in? 

-XXR returned to service with the faded old airasia.com bold livery. Same as before. Guess they didn't repaint it due to busy period.

9M-XXR - Airbus A330-343 - AirAsia X

11 hours ago, flee said:

When I read that, I was highly skeptical - they have not received so many aircraft in a year before - right now, only AK and FD are capable of filling A321 Neos. If it is true that so many aircraft are coming from TLS, maybe the rest of the group will receive some - and old A320 Ceos may go to Cambodia or leave the fleet.

Assembling an A320neo will take around one to two months pre-COVID, I am pretty sure after the pandemic it will take slightly longer due to supply chain issue. We should be seeing A321neo in production sequence now if the first new delivery for this year is intended for June 2024. However, most production list does not show any AirAsia frames in queue. Maybe we will see lessors' frame delivered first or the production sequence will slot in March/April.

AirAsia MOVE debuts with refreshed app look, taking a bold first step in its ongoing transformative journey

KUALA LUMPUR, 26 FEB - AirAsia MOVE, formerly known as airasia Superapp, today unveiled the updated, refreshed look of its app icon on the App Store (iOS) and Play Store (Android).
This comes as AirAsia MOVE enters another phase of its brand refresh and transformation as was announced in September 2023.

Majority of the planes are painted red but official company header and logo is all green. But they'll argue the green is only for the apps and booking website lol.

EDM-Anncmnt_ENG-KV_600x600px.jpg

On 2/26/2024 at 9:48 AM, JuliusWong said:

Introduction of more A321N might not mean added capacity for most routes, they might use the A321N to merge and consolidate some frequencies. As some older A320ceo's are due for retirement/phase out.

The new AK604/605 KL-PER-KL service begins on 11/3 using A321N’s, it’ll be interesting to see how they handle delays/tech issues with just the current 2 x A321NEO’s in the fleet and whether they sub in EDTO A320N’s for a flight of that duration when unforeseen events occur. 

AirAsia relaunches Bushbaneswar with 3x weekly flight.

SEPANG, 6 March 2024 ‒ AirAsia today announced the resumption of flights to the culturally-rich Bhubaneswar the capital of Odisha, with thrice weekly flights commencing 28 May 2024.

KV+EN.jpg

With this new addition, AirAsia will eventually fly to 13 cities in India.

AirAsia Malaysia (AK)

1. Thiruvananthapuram
  2. Chennai
  3. Tiruchirappalli
  4. Kochi
  5. Hyderabad
  6. Bengaluru
  7. Kolkata
  8. Jaipur (commencing April 21, 2024)
  9. Visakhapatnam (commencing April 26, 2024)
  10. Ahmedabad (commencing May 1, 2024)
  11. Bubhaneswar (commencing May 24, 2024)

AirAsia X (D7)

1. New Delhi
  2. Amritsar

Just been researching the new AK Perth flights and it appears the inaugural flight on Sunday will be operated by a 321N then A320N’s are scheduled, so forward bookings can’t be that fantastic. 

Did some further research and it appears these flights can only be operated by ETDO certified birds so it looks like AGA, E, G, H, I, J, L, N, O, Q, R, S, V, RAH, J and M + VAA and VAB are the only aircraft that‘ll be permitted to fly this new route.

Just as a side note, I was surprised to be how many inactive and parked A320N’s AK currently has, including -NEO, guessing the lease costs are prohibitive on these frames. 

Some interesting route applications by Capital A Group. 

KUL-LBJ will be a great addition without having to transfer either in SUB/DPS/CGK. They also applied for KUL-BBI/CCJ/GAU/BPN. Is Kerala the hot destination in India? TRV, COK and soon CCJ!

AirAsia Resumes Kuala Lumpur – Utapao Service in June 2024

AirAsia from June 2024 plans to resume service to Pattaya, with as the airline recently opened reservations for Kuala Lumpur – Utapao route. From 17JUN24, Airbus A320 aircraft will operate this route 3 times weekly.

AK840 KUL1100 – 1205UTP 320 157
AK841 UTP1235 – 1530KUL 320 157

This route was last served until March 2020.

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/240318-akjun24utp

Edited by Adam Lawrence

Noted -AFD in KCH today, still wearing its ‘Bo Rocks’ livery, did some digging and found out that it’s just re-entered service after being stored since 05/2021.

Becomes the oldest active aircraft in the AK, she’s currently operating out of the KCH base. 

On 3/12/2024 at 6:46 PM, Craig said:

Some interesting route applications by Capital A Group. 

KUL-LBJ will be a great addition without having to transfer either in SUB/DPS/CGK. They also applied for KUL-BBI/CCJ/GAU/BPN. Is Kerala the hot destination in India? TRV, COK and soon CCJ!

If this materialize then AK will be the first international airline to operate to LBJ. Shortest flight out of LBJ to DPS is always full & with the introduction of new tourist tax at DPS, its becoming less unattractive to transit at DPS though the terminals locations are very convenient as compared to transiting and changing terminal at SUB which require one to get a grab ride to the opposite site of the runway if tou want to connect from domestic to international or vice versa. 

On 3/30/2024 at 11:54 PM, Riza said:

If this materialize then AK will be the first international airline to operate to LBJ.

I would fly AK more if they don't do that dumb weigh your carry-on before security. 7kg is nothing and I don't want to check-in a bag on a short trip. We shall see.I might fly with them to Belitung or LBJ and if they fly there. Much better than a transit at CGK/SUB/DPS (and DPS taxes are paid twice if you do a roundtrip to LBJ via DPS). 

On 4/2/2024 at 5:41 PM, Craig said:

I would fly AK more if they don't do that dumb weigh your carry-on before security. 7kg is nothing and I don't want to check-in a bag on a short trip. We shall see.I might fly with them to Belitung or LBJ and if they fly there. Much better than a transit at CGK/SUB/DPS (and DPS taxes are paid twice if you do a roundtrip to LBJ via DPS). 

Some of AK flights are now allowing +7kg additional hand carry allowance, but the routes are very limited. If I am in the revenue team in AK, I would capitalise on this and make it permanent offer for all routes. Set a limit on how many pax can purchase the additional hand carry per flight. Additional revenue for the company.

Dumb weigh luggage is strictly enforced for flight ex-KUL and ex-DMK. Most other stations depends on your luck. Some of the staff are rude AF though.

From July 5, 2024, AirAsia X will resume Changsha, Hunan with 4x weekly flight.

https://newsroom.airasia.com/news/airasia-x-resumes-services-to-changsha-reconnecting-kuala-lumpur-with-the-capital-and-largest-city-of-hunan-province#gsc.tab=0

May be an image of text that says "VISA FREE CHINA!** CHANG HANGSHA 0風美合 CHARMING SHA ISCALLING 療測 LINLEE 000000 136-8737 LINLEE MEKA 黄寶比 TES 老长沙臭豆 聚美合! 马一簡业 彰通大尔 4309184-7969 4x WEEKLY MON WED •FRI•SAT FRI SAT FARE FROM MYR ALL-IN 388 Kuala Lumpur Booking Period Now Apr 2024 Travel Period: 26 ct 2024 *Includes alrporttax Valid visitsof Changsha MAVCOM fee,fu surcharge: other applicable foes. days Malaysians T&Ca pply."

Changsha marks AAX’s sixth direct route to China, complementing AirAsia Malaysia’s (flight code AK) extensive network of 12 destinations within Greater China including

1. Guangzhou
  2. Kunming
  3. Guilin
  4. Nanning
  5. Quanzhou
  6. Shantou
  7. Shenzhen
  8. Wuhan
  9. Taipei
  10. Kaohsiung
  11. Macao
  12. Hong Kong

AirAsia X's (flight code D7) current six direct routes from Kuala Lumpur:

1. Beijing
  2. Chengdu
  3. Hangzhou
  4. Shanghai
  5. Xi'an
  6. Changsha (commencing July 25, 2024)

Missing from route network (AirAsia Malaysia and AirAsia X Malaysia used to fly to these destinations before COVID 19 pandemic):

1. Chongqing (AK)
  2. Guiyang (AK)
  3. Haikou (AK)
  4. Lanzhou (AK)
  5. Tianjin (D7)
Edited by JuliusWong