MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

Saving Airasia Group and Airasia X: Covid-19 Recovery Thread

On 2/22/2023 at 3:31 PM, JuliusWong said:

A330 fleet wise they left with only 23 airframes now, including one with AirAsia. 15 are currently active, but short of cabin crew and pilots are hindering their expansion. 

Customer service wise still s#1t....oh well.....

Well I wonder what is happening to those two A339s in DMK? They are still in storage and they seem to be unable to find good routes to take advantage of the A339's capabilities.

AirAsia Group Fleet Movement February 11, 2023

1. A330-343    MSN 1481          2-MXXP     BOC Aviation     air-test at KUL 20feb23 prior delivery to Batik Air Indonesia     ex 9M-XXP
  2. A330-343    MSN 1670          VN-A815     VietJetAir     first in svc 23feb23 SGN-HAN-SGN     ex 2-MXBA

Source: https://www.skyliner-aviation.de/regdb.main?LC=nav4&page=2

AirAsia X in talks for more A330s as quarterly profit rises

https://www.flightglobal.com/fleets/airasia-x-in-talks-for-more-a330s-as-quarterly-profit-rises/152165.article#:~:text=The additional widebodies will take,the airline's quarterly financial results.&text=AirAsia X currently has seven,yet to return to service.

"The additional widebodies will take its total fleet to 17 A330s by April 2024, according to a presentation issued alongside the airline's quarterly financial results. AirAsia X currently has seven operational A330s, with a further seven yet to return to service"

AIRASIA RESUMES KUALA LUMPUR – CEBU SERVICE FROM MAY 2023

AirAsia from May 2023 plans to resume Kuala Lumpur – Cebu service, last served by Philippines AirAsia (Z2) until February 2020, AirAsia (AK) until October 2016.

AirAsia (AK)’s Airbus A320 aircraft will operate this route 3 times weekly, effective 12MAY23.

AK590 KUL0910 – 1315CEB 320 357
AK591 CEB1345 – 1735KUL 320 357

New allocations (March 2023 releases):

1. KUL-DAD v.v. / +7x weeklyAirAsiaMar-23
  2. KUL-XIY v.v. / 7x weeklyAirAsiaApr-23
  3. KUL-CKG v.v. / 7x weeklyAirAsiaApr-23
  4. KUL-CSX v.v. / 7x weeklyAirAsiaApr-23
  5. KUL-TFU v.v. / 7x weeklyAirAsia XMar-23

At the same time, returned Chengdu, China

Air Traffic Rights Returned

No.    Route/Frequency    Company    Effective From
1    KUL-CTU v.v. / 7x weekly    AirAsia X    26-Mar-23

Source: https://www.mavcom.my/en/2023/03/07/air-traffic-rights-bulletin-february-2023/

Malaysia Airlines, Batik Air, Lion Air Group airlines claim foul play by airasia Super App

https://focusmalaysia.my/malaysia-airlines-batik-air-lion-air-group-airlines-claim-foul-play-by-airasia-super-app/

Same was also reported by Emirates. Tendency of denial of boarding with tickets issued by airasia superapp(majority actually came from other aggregators instead) as the PNR and eTicket no are usually blank during check in. Passengers are left in the dark who to deal with usually at this stage. 

1 year plus. It basically took 2 politicians that were arguing about an unrelated matter to actually dig this out in the open.

Edited by jahur

1 hour ago, jahur said:

Malaysia Airlines, Batik Air, Lion Air Group airlines claim foul play by airasia Super App

https://focusmalaysia.my/malaysia-airlines-batik-air-lion-air-group-airlines-claim-foul-play-by-airasia-super-app/

Same was also reported by Emirates. Tendency of denial of boarding with tickets issued by airasia superapp(majority actually came from other aggregators instead) as the PNR and eTicket no are usually blank during check in. Passengers are left in the dark who to deal with usually at this stage. 

1 year plus. It basically took 2 politicians that were arguing about an unrelated matter to actually dig this out in the open.

I believe those OTA platforms which are authorized by MAG and Lion Air Group to sell their tickets on behalf are not aware MAG and Lion Air Group do not allow them (OTAs) to sell ticket on their (MAG/ Lion Air Grouop) competitors' sales channels. Either that, or MAG and Lion Air Group now are on "save face" mode.

However, on the other side of the coin, aren't IATA certified airlines allowed to cross sell each other flight, provided there is an agreement?

Rumoured AirAsia X's newest pre-loved A330-343X, did air test in KUL recently.

OE-ITB - Airbus A330-343 - Untitled

Source: https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/10909520https://www.planespotters.net/airframe/airbus-a330-300-oe-itb-bbam/rqp5m2

Ex-Singapore Airlines 9V-SSF, 8 years old.

Delivered to SQ on March 30, 2015.

Withdrawn from use March 13, 2021

Spent the last three years in storage. 

2 hours ago, jahur said:

Way before even this gets into the news, MH has been advising visitors via a pop-up notification on their website to not buy MH flights from a so-called unauthorised sites. I guess this is a indirect reminder to the public not to buy MH flights via AK SuperApp. 

Airasia Super App has become a parasite app. Looks like they are trying to sell other airline tickets because they are not able to mount their own services.

1 minute ago, flee said:

Airasia Super App has become a parasite app. Looks like they are trying to sell other airline tickets because they are not able to mount their own services.

It had a very ambitious plan of being a top tech aggregator app in the likes of airpaz traveloka etc. Problem was there was no mutual agreement with any airline partners on where to source inventory. You could be buying an ANA ticket from them only for the ticket to be issued by kiwi.com and it being incomplete which poses a lot of potential issue for consumers. 

57 minutes ago, jahur said:

It had a very ambitious plan of being a top tech aggregator app in the likes of airpaz traveloka etc. Problem was there was no mutual agreement with any airline partners on where to source inventory. You could be buying an ANA ticket from them only for the ticket to be issued by kiwi.com and it being incomplete which poses a lot of potential issue for consumers. 

And if anything goes wrong, it will be the airline whose tickets were sold by Air Asia App that gets the bad press/bahsing, instead of AirAsia App. 

1 hour ago, jahur said:

Ive not bothered with the app and usually book via the airline due previous issues with OTA's.

Until this story broke I had no idea such issues existed. 

40 minutes ago, Robert said:

Ive not bothered with the app and usually book via the airline due previous issues with OTA's.

Until this story broke I had no idea such issues existed. 

Many flyers still try to weasle their way out for cheap fares. Generally third party usually came out the cheapest. But then comes the issue ranging from flight retiming or cancelation not notified to customer. Luggage allowance booked not listed on airline reservation system etc.. One has to be extremely flexible and forgiving to handle this sort of tickets.

1 hour ago, jahur said:

Many flyers still try to weasle their way out for cheap fares. Generally third party usually came out the cheapest. But then comes the issue ranging from flight retiming or cancelation not notified to customer. Luggage allowance booked not listed on airline reservation system etc.. One has to be extremely flexible and forgiving to handle this sort of tickets.

After reading all those negative feedbacks on multiple airlines's social media account in past three years due to covid lockdown; on how they were denied refunds/ reschedule request due to bookings via third party websites, I stay far far away from those third party booking platforms, even prominent ones like Traveloka, Expedia, Trip.com, Kayak.com. Save myself from those headaches. 

As a general rule, booking through OTAs (including the airasia super app nonsense) adds a whole layer of complexity. If you need to make any changes you're basically at the mercy of the OTA. They can quote whatever price they want and you'd be stuck. And if there are any or schedule changes, the shady ones will do everything they can to keep your money while pushing an undesirable alternative. Some will accept schedule changes on your behalf and not even give you a say. Not worth the risk to save a bit of money.

17 hours ago, jahur said:

They used to own Expedia before they disposed of it - AA Super App confirmed that it was a mistake for them to sell their interest in Expedia (which is a much better OTA).

Prior to this fiasco, I read that many pax who bought tickets through OTAs were denied boarding. They were told to sort out their tickets with the agent they bought the tickets from.

I have never been keen on OTAs and I usually prefer to buy my tickets directly from the airlines themselves. Some very good deals (also thru their loyalty programmes) can be had if you monitor their promotions.

I've experienced airasia super app falsely manipulating competitor airline fares just to show theirs is cheaper on the app. Thus serving as a mean of preventing passengers from checking other respective airlines own website for fares. At that time i was looking for the cheapest option to get to CGK. Airasia superapp showed RM375 for AK, while OD and MH priced between 700-900. Upon checking OD and MH site, found both competitively priced around 400-500. You can call it dirty tricks if you want too. Being a smarter traveller, I opted OD for that booking. 

Could this also be reason they want to hive off AK to D7, so their 'super app' can be said to be independent of meddling from air asia ?

1 hour ago, BC Tam said:

Could this also be reason they want to hive off AK to D7, so their 'super app' can be said to be independent of meddling from air asia ?

Yea that was the plan. Super app will be a it based e commerce+aggregator ecosystem listing all sort of stuff to sell from food, hotels, air tickets etc. Ak d7 and other airline subsidiaries airasia group will then be selling tickets on it exclusively or something like that. Too ambitious honestly.

2 hours ago, BC Tam said:

Yes, that is the ongoing restucturing they are doing - Capital A is supposed to be just a holding company. The business units are separate - AK and D7 should merge and become the airline group. As D7 has the Bursa listing, it is the company to fold AK into even though AK is the bigger and more profitable entity. 

7 hours ago, flee said:

They used to own Expedia before they disposed of it - AA Super App confirmed that it was a mistake for them to sell their interest in Expedia (which is a much better OTA).

Prior to this fiasco, I read that many pax who bought tickets through OTAs were denied boarding. They were told to sort out their tickets with the agent they bought the tickets from.

I have never been keen on OTAs and I usually prefer to buy my tickets directly from the airlines themselves. Some very good deals (also thru their loyalty programmes) can be had if you monitor their promotions.

Slight correction there, actually AirAsia established AAE Travel Pte Ltd in 2011 to manage its travel+hotel booking website AirAsiaGo.com, and in 2015 Expedia bought a 75% stake in it, AirAsia ownership was reduced to 25%. In 2018, AirAsia divest the remaining 25% stake to Expedia, and AAE Travel Pte Ltd became a fully owned entity by Expedia. AirAsia at the same time bought AirAsiaGo.com domain and related assets back from AAE Travel Pte Ltd. https://newsroom.airasia.com/news/2018/8/14/expedia-group-announces-full-ownership-of-aae-travel-pte-ltd#gsc.tab=0

AirAsiaGo nowadays have been renamed as AirAsia Aviation Management Services Sdn Bhd, report to AirAsia Aviaiton group Limited, which in turn is owned by Capital A Berhad. https://www.capitala.com/misc/Corporate_Structure_19Apr2023.pdf

image.png

Edited by JuliusWong

AIRASIA EXPANDS BEIJING FLIGHT OFFERING IN NS23

Various AirAsia carriers in Northern summer 2023 season continues to strengthen service to Beijing, including Thai AirAsia resuming service to/from Chiang Mai. AirAsia will be adding service to/from Kota Kinabalu from July 2023.

AirAsia 
Kota Kinabalu – Beijing Daxing eff 01JUL23 1 daily A320
AK1560 BKI1800 – 2315PKX 320 D
AK1561 PKX0015 – 0545BKI 320 D 

Thai AirAsia
Chiang Mai – Beijing Daxing eff 30APR23 1 daily A320 (Service resumption)
FD600 CNX2315 – 0440+1PKX 320 D
FD601 PKX0550 – 0935CNX 320 D

AIRASIA X SCHEDULES KUALA LUMPUR – BANGKOK SERVICE FROM MAY 2023

AirAsia X from late-May 2023 is adding new scheduled service to Thailand, as the airline schedules Kuala Lumpur – Bangkok Suvarnabhumi flight. From 21MAY23, Airbus A330-300 aircraft will operate this route 5 times weekly.

D7170 KUL1010 – 1125BKK 333 x13
D7171 BKK1305 – 1625KUL 333 x135
D7171 BKK1310 – 1630KUL 333 5

Thai AirAsia in recent schedule update already adjusted frequencies on this route, reduced from 2 to 1 daily. It continues to offer 2 daily Kuala Lumpur – Bangkok Don Mueang service.