MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
jit

Coronavirus: Special Aircraft to bring home Malaysians from Wuhan.

2 minutes ago, flee said:

Oops my bad! It is indeed operated by D7! So that invalidates my argument! :sorry:

In any case, the rescue flight arrived safely - so the A320neo is able to perform the mission, and at a lower cost. :good:

Again not really ideal. A321neo could be a marginally better choice. 

Let's not think too much into it. They have limited A321neo at the moment for Penang, Kuching, KK and Singapore hence that could be the reason why they used the A320neo.

At any given time, AirAsia has at least 2 to 3 A320ceo/neo on ground as subsitute aircraft. Last time was 9M-AFO. Not sure now.

On 2/3/2020 at 10:10 PM, flee said:

I think China is also being selective when they said military aircraft are not allowed. I saw a Luftwaffe Airbus perform an evacuation flight...

On 2/3/2020 at 10:22 PM, BC Tam said:

Precisely :)

One can only imagine the goldmine of an opportunity (PR wise) if that fleet of RMAF and chartered VIP jets had been deployed for the 'rescue flights'

Oh well, opportunity lost I suppose. After all, 'exceptions' are by nature a one off opportunity mostly :D

Maybe embassy personnel are involved? 

On 2/4/2020 at 5:07 PM, Samuel Chy said:

China also sending a Xiamen B738 for the rescue mission to BKI here.

Wonder how is the load for flight, considering the return flight was rumored to cost RMB2600 one way? 

Coronavirus: Sabah govt announces additional temporary travel restrictions

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2020/02/07/coronavirus-sabah-govt-announces-additional-temporary-travel-restrictions

🙄

China nationals who are still in Sabah are advised to depart or return before expiry of their visa, and the maximum visa extension granted remained at seven days, he added.

Some Chinese nationals still in Sabah had previously asked for longer visa extensions as they fear of going back to the crisis stricken republic at the moment.

However, Chief Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Shafie Apdal has already said they will maintain the seven-day visa extension as Sabah does not have sufficient resources to cope in case of an outbreak in the state.

This part of it is particularly disappointing and I cannot comprehend logic behind that stance

Our tourism people went over and wooed those Chinese nationals to came visit our land, and they did, and contributed in their own way to our local economy as well as social/cultural exchanges. Whilst they are here, things developed in their homeland, which would endanger them if they do make their way back. So we now tell them they have 7 days to sort things out, then go away, dunno where to but go away somehow 😒 

Bear in mind that these visitors have been amongst us for a while already and there has been no reported incidence of any of them being a victim or carrier of the dreaded virus (which in grand scheme of things, really isn't as deadly as the media has portrayed it to be)  So, IF in event any one of them (and we don't know which one as of now) is/was to pass on the virus to any of us locals, it's more than likely a done deal already.  And do we see any effort to identify all people these Chinese nationals have had contacts with for duration of their stay here so far for purpose of isolating/quarantining the 'victims' ? No

So why is it such a big deal we Sabahans cannot afford to accommodate these few Chinese (medical refugees) for a while more ? What is there to lose by showing a measure of compassion to them ? Perhaps visa extension can be done on a weekly basis, with a view on how the situation in Wuhan/China develop with time ? More likely than not, our visitors are more keen to return home than overstay their welcome here really

I'm concerned about the aftermath effects - say our tourism people go over to Wuhan/China after all this crisis has blown over (yes, flu epidemics come and go, regularly) and people there recall what sort of 'hospitality' their kin were accorded in times of need ......

Furthermore, that last bit by our CM about "...Sabah does not have sufficient resources to cope in case of an outbreak in the state..." is a statement of sheer embarrassment to us Sabahans. If true, we should be so very worried already 😟

This Visa extension is a sensitive issue especially for Sabah when you have other immigration issues at hand (illegal filipinos etc etc). Any special attention given to PRC tourist/citizen will certainly be silver bullets for the opposition party, so this goes beyond the surface and should not be looked at from a medical refugee point of view. 

For the fact that Sabah CM openly say they don't have enough resources to handle the outbreak (as scary as it seems) is a lot better than saying we are well prepared and equipped with number of patients rising like wildfire. Take a look at Singapore for instance, now everyone down south is in panic mode. I remember reading a statement from one of Singapore's minister last week saying Singapore is out of danger. 

Edited by Pall

1 hour ago, Pall said:

This Visa extension is a sensitive issue especially for Sabah when you have other immigration issues at hand (illegal filipinos etc etc). Any special attention given to PRC tourist/citizen will certainly be silver bullets for the opposition party, so this goes beyond the surface and should not be looked at from a medical refugee point of view. 

We’re talking about granting a short extension to documented visitors who are having issues getting home. Nobody is suggesting granting them permanent residence/asylum/citizenship. 

How this compares to the issue of illegal immigration is beyond me.

1 hour ago, Chris Tan said:

We’re talking about granting a short extension to documented visitors who are having issues getting home. Nobody is suggesting granting them permanent residence/asylum/citizenship. 

How this compares to the issue of illegal immigration is beyond me.

Thats not how the state govt sees it. Otherwise we wont be talking about this issue. Anyway, the issue is not about them having difficulties getting home. As what the CM said in the news they have been given options to go back via KUL but not doing so in fear of their health once back in China. 

Few prc UMS students who have never gone back to China for the past 6 months were forced to seek skip class and go for quarantine procedures. I wonder how dumb can it be to at least check their past movements to know that they do not require such unnecessary steps.

11 hours ago, jahur said:

Few prc UMS students who have never gone back to China for the past 6 months were forced to seek skip class and go for quarantine procedures. I wonder how dumb can it be to at least check their past movements to know that they do not require such unnecessary steps.

Those who insisted these students to be quarantined are certainly didn't think scientifically or rationally. It also reflect the knowledge of UMS administration.

Edited by KK Lee

Good to see some common sense coming through 🙂

Special pass for Chinese tourists

from: https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2020/02/09/special-pass-for-chinese-tourists

Not absolutely clear though if those Chinese presently in Sabah will be issued the special passes here in Sabah or they need to travel to Semenanjung for it 😐  But at least option is there

However, if the Sabah authorities persist with their 7 days stance, then I fear for the reputation of our 'hospitality' amongst the Chinese tourism market.  Less we forget the very recent cases of those 'negligent' Chinese visitors being detained for failing to have their travel documents stamped at BKI ?  When these people return home, they will talk and more likely than not, it will be someone's loss consequently ...... 😒

On 2/8/2020 at 7:33 AM, Pall said:

..... so this goes beyond the surface and should not be looked at from a medical refugee point of view. 

Why not ? Just because some politician is concerned about criticisms from the other side, compassion and common sense goes out the window ?

Incidentally, the opposition here (LDP) has since sort of dispelled your 'silver bullets' line of thought 😁

refer: http://www.dailyexpress.com.my/news/147095/show-compassion-govt-urged/

On 2/8/2020 at 7:33 AM, Pall said:

For the fact that Sabah CM openly say they don't have enough resources to handle the outbreak (as scary as it seems) is a lot better than saying we are well prepared and equipped with number of patients rising like wildfire

He didn't say we are well prepared, he didn't say we are prepared, he didn't say we are taking steps to prepare - he said we will not be able to handle an outbreak 🙄

So what happened to all the expertise and experience from SARS episode previously ?

3 hours ago, BC Tam said:

Why not ? Just because some politician is concerned about criticisms from the other side, compassion and common sense goes out the window ?

Incidentally, the opposition here (LDP) has since sort of dispelled your 'silver bullets' line of thought 😁

refer: http://www.dailyexpress.com.my/news/147095/show-compassion-govt-urged/

He didn't say we are well prepared, he didn't say we are prepared, he didn't say we are taking steps to prepare - he said we will not be able to handle an outbreak 🙄

So what happened to all the expertise and experience from SARS episode previously ?

The difference is, now we have " Social Media ". See how people out of the blue suddenly panicked? During SARS government can do their job more collectively. Nowadays SOP is one thing but the need to please the public via social media is a very big " thing " too. 😂

6 hours ago, BC Tam said:

Well if he had said otherwise I wouldn't have believe him anyway.  There were claims that private hospitals are turning away suspected patients and referring them to government hospital instead.

2 hours ago, Silverfly07 said:

The difference is, now we have " Social Media ". See how people out of the blue suddenly panicked? During SARS government can do their job more collectively. Nowadays SOP is one thing but the need to please the public via social media is a very big " thing " too. 😂

I don't think feedback on social media will have any impact on the current administrations policies.  In fact as of now it seems more like case of wait and see what happens next.

42 minutes ago, Waiping said:

I don't think feedback on social media will have any impact on the current administrations policies.  In fact as of now it seems more like case of wait and see what happens next.

Malaysia is just like China - social media makes it easier for them to track down and arrest the "trouble makers".

Relating to nation evacuation, UK Government chartered Wamos Air B744 to evacuate her citizens from Wuhan recently. They used ex-MH B744 EC-KXN, it still has MH J class on upper deck, all-Y for lower deck, not sure who gets to determine who sits at J or Y class.

https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/wamos-747-business-review/

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ec-kxn

A short run down of nations deploying airframes to resuce her citizens:
Canada- HiFly A330-343E 9H-STY
Brunei- Royal Brunei A320-232ceo V8-RBX
Malaysia- AirAsia A320-251neo 9M-RAM
UK and Ireland- Wamos B747-4H6 EC-KXN & Royal Air Force Boeing C-17 Globmaster III ZZ176
France- HiFly A380-841 9H-MIP
Mongolia- MIAT Mongolian Airlines B737-8AL JU-1088
United States of America- Kalitta Air B747-4B5F N705CK
Australia- Qantas B747-438ER VH-OEF
New Zealand- Air New Zealand B777-219ER ZK-OKE
India- Air India B747-437 VT-ESP & VT-EVA
Vietnam- A321-231 VN-A604
Germany- A310-304 10+23
Singapore- Scoot B787-9 9V-OJH & 9V-SJI
Indonesia- Lion Air A330-343E PK-LDY
Japan - All Nippon Airways B767-381ER JA607A
Sri Lanka- Sri Lankan A330-243 4R-ALS