MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
jit

Coronavirus: Special Aircraft to bring home Malaysians from Wuhan.

https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia/2020/02/03/coronavirus-special-aircraft-to-bring-home-malaysians-from-wuhan-has-left-f/1834100

Bravo to the AirAsia crew, risking exposure to the virus and sacrificing oneself to 14 days of quarantine... for the sake of bringing home our fellow Malaysians!

Couldn't help wondering what happened to MH? Shouldn't these 'national service' flights be operated by our national airline? Especially so when billions of taxpayers money have been sucked into this company.

51 minutes ago, jit said:

https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia/2020/02/03/coronavirus-special-aircraft-to-bring-home-malaysians-from-wuhan-has-left-f/1834100

Bravo to the AirAsia crew, risking exposure to the virus and sacrificing oneself to 14 days of quarantine... for the sake of bringing home our fellow Malaysians!

Couldn't help wondering what happened to MH? Shouldn't these 'national service' flights be operated by our national airline? Especially so when billions of taxpayers money have been sucked into this company.

Gov cant afford a380 mas rate. 737-800 cant reach to wuhan. A330s are fully utilised. Also Should'nt airasia sent over an a330 instead? 

Edited by jahur

1 hour ago, jit said:

Ask the govt, they own MH. Its not MH who makes the decision. 

1 hour ago, jit said:

What i can say is that, as of now MH is so small it has No crew, No aircraft & No Cash. Plus the already limited support from our government. Dont forget most gov contracts were passed on to AirAsia. Example, government servants now flies on airasia. 

The only aircraft MH can deploy now are the A380 which burns roughly " 11 Tones of fuel per hour". Send that to Wuhan to rescue a mere 140+ people and it will cause public outcry and a massive PR failure for the Pakatan Harapan government. Even In the beginig, the MINDEF dont even want to send A400M, they simply cant afford A400M. Government only proposed C130, imagine how poor is the government? Of course china dont allow any military aircraft, so airasia it is.

Also don't forget the DAILY contributions our national airline provides to this country. MH and Mwings (stretcher case) are the only x2 airlines in malaysia that can carry various " dangerous goods ", human remains, hospital radioactive substance, stretcher patients etc etc list goes on, the other being RMAF only. Previous contributions includes 1st gulf war evacuation in Saudi etc...

Edited by Guest

41 minutes ago, Silverfly07 said:

... Plus the already limited support from our government. Dont forget most gov contracts were passed on to AirAsia. Example, government servants now flies on airasia. 

The only aircraft MH can deploy now are the A380 which burns roughly " 11 Tones of fuel per hour". Send that to Wuhan to rescue a mere 140+ people and it will cause public outcry and a massive PR failure for the Pakatan Harapan government. Even In the beginig, the MINDEF dont even want to send A400M, they simply cant afford A400M. Government only proposed C130, imagine how poor is the government? .....

Yeah well, I can't begin to imagine ...... how gahmen can still afford to maintain that fleet of VIP jets to ferry our Royals and leaders around 😀

19 minutes ago, BC Tam said:

Yeah well, I can't begin to imagine ...... how gahmen can still afford to maintain that fleet of VIP jets to ferry our Royals and leaders around 😀

Well asfaik... even the VIP fleet is being used at its minimum. VIP planes are being retired without replacements.

Also as in the papers, noticed how many times our Royals started to use commercial flights lately? Nowadays, quite often you see them on board MH .This was quite normal in the 80s and 90s etc, but for the past 15 years or so gov VIPs ( not royals ) tend to use gov aircrafts more often. Whatever it is, I am sure as of now, VIPs are using their preveleges within their entitlement. 

Edited by Guest

Keywords there are "preveleges (sic) (privileges ?)" and  'entitlement' .......

Never mind, let us just hope those people in power and those holding the purse strings do get their priorities in order, these are testing times and there is much to be gained, or lost, in the perception game arena :)

1 hour ago, Silverfly07 said:

What i can say is that, as of now MH is so small it has No crew, No aircraft & No Cash. Plus the already limited support from our government. Dont forget most gov contracts were passed on to AirAsia. Example, government servants now flies on airasia. 

The only aircraft MH can deploy now are the A380 which burns roughly " 11 Tones of fuel per hour". Send that to Wuhan to rescue a mere 140+ people and it will cause public outcry and a massive PR failure for the Pakatan Harapan government. Even In the beginig, the MINDEF dont even want to send A400M, they simply cant afford A400M. Government only proposed C130, imagine how poor is the government? Of course china dont allow any military aircraft, so airasia it is.

Also don't forget the DAILY contributions our national airline provides to this country. MH and Mwings (stretcher case) are the only x2 airlines in malaysia that can carry various " dangerous goods ", human remains, hospital radioactive substance, stretcher patients etc etc list goes on, the other being RMAF only. Previous contributions includes 1st gulf war evacuation in Saudi etc...

RM 800m p.a write off on opex losses is limited?

I think China is also being selective when they said military aircraft are not allowed. I saw a Luftwaffe Airbus perform an evacuation flight...

1 minute ago, flee said:

I think China is also being selective when they said military aircraft are not allowed. I saw a Luftwaffe Airbus perform an evacuation flight...

In politics and foreign affairs, there is always exception.

2 hours ago, jahur said:

Gov cant afford a380 mas rate. 737-800 cant reach to wuhan. A330s are fully utilised. Also Should'nt airasia sent over an a330 instead? 

377 seat A333 to evacuate 140+ pax is a bit of an overkill, isn't it? The A320Neo that they sent seems to be ideally suited for the mission.

3 minutes ago, KK Lee said:

In politics and foreign affairs, there is always exception.

Precisely :)

One can only imagine the goldmine of an opportunity (PR wise) if that fleet of RMAF and chartered VIP jets had been deployed for the 'rescue flights'

Oh well, opportunity lost I suppose. After all, 'exceptions' are by nature a one off opportunity mostly :D

2 minutes ago, BC Tam said:

Precisely :)

One can only imagine the goldmine of an opportunity (PR wise) if that fleet of RMAF and chartered VIP jets had been deployed for the 'rescue flights'

Oh well, opportunity lost I suppose. After all, 'exceptions' are by nature a one off opportunity mostly :D

As men in red cap are in need to be seen to discharge national duty or good deeds; probably volunteered.

15 minutes ago, flee said:

377 seat A333 to evacuate 140+ pax is a bit of an overkill, isn't it? The A320Neo that they sent seems to be ideally suited for the mission.

Indonesia sends a 390 seater a330 to extract 200plus passengers with very good diversion margin and fuel endurance to carry out the mission. Sending a narrowbody with limited buffer for range is baffling unless its carrying airbus corporate jet sort of payload. 

1 hour ago, jahur said:

Indonesia sends a 390 seater a330 to extract 200plus passengers with very good diversion margin and fuel endurance to carry out the mission. Sending a narrowbody with limited buffer for range is baffling unless its carrying airbus corporate jet sort of payload. 

I think for Airasia, this route is routine because it flies there on a regular basis. They are familiar with the operations in and out of that city.

Airasia X crew are not familiar.

12 hours ago, jahur said:

why our 738 unable to reach Wuhan? while our 738 still can do BKI-NRT, BKI-PER non-stop?

8 hours ago, flee said:

I think for Airasia, this route is routine because it flies there on a regular basis. They are familiar with the operations in and out of that city.

Airasia X crew are not familiar.

i thought KUl-WUH is operate by d7?

10 hours ago, jahur said:

if we put the range in side topic, is there any other aircraft in their fleet (Indonesia) have aircraft with 200+- seating capacity? if have, do the aircraft manage to do it direct flight?

beside, bigger aircraft will bring more cost and affords to do the Sanitize the aircraft. 

49 minutes ago, Samuel Chy said:

why our 738 unable to reach Wuhan? while our 738 still can do BKI-NRT, BKI-PER non-stop?

You have to take note the plane is loading loads of medical equipment and gloves onboard. Ex bki nrt per flights barely reach 5.5hours of flight time.

44 minutes ago, Samuel Chy said:

if we put the range in side topic, is there any other aircraft in their fleet (Indonesia) have aircraft with 200+- seating capacity? if have, do the aircraft manage to do it direct flight?

beside, bigger aircraft will bring more cost and affords to do the Sanitize the aircraft. 

They can charter a330-200 from garuda which burns less fuel but they didnt opted that. 

1 hour ago, jahur said:

You have to take note the plane is loading loads of medical equipment and gloves onboard. Ex bki nrt per flights barely reach 5.5hours of flight time.

isnt KUL-WUH flight time is around 4 1/2hr?

1 hour ago, jahur said:

They can charter a330-200 from garuda which burns less fuel but they didnt opted that. 

Garuda A332 186Y+36J, total up 222. unlikely it will be enough for 200pax plus extra medical team and crew, right? 

4 hours ago, Samuel Chy said:

i thought KUl-WUH is operate by d7?

Oops my bad! It is indeed operated by D7! So that invalidates my argument! :sorry:

In any case, the rescue flight arrived safely - so the A320neo is able to perform the mission, and at a lower cost. :good:

2 hours ago, Samuel Chy said:

Garuda A332 186Y+36J, total up 222. unlikely it will be enough for 200pax plus extra medical team and crew, right? 

The flight only had pob of 220 plus. 

Sign in to follow this