MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
ty_buchanan

KLIA is a confusing airport

KLIA is a confusing airport to get from KLIA Main to KLIA2 you use the Aerotrain. You take the free internal train to get from KLIA Main out to your flight gate. That is also called the aerotrain. Is there one train or two? No great relief in not using the aerotrain to KLIA2 when you have to get on the same train to get from KLIA Main to the flight gate.

Your statement seems more confusing, KLIA2 to KLIA assuming you mean the low cost terminal to full service carrier terminal is not via aerotrain. That train network is part of the ERL network which extends to KL Sentral. 

I guess you are talking about the Main Terminal Building to the Satellite Terminal. Dont see anything confusing about a 1 minute train ride. 

Edited by Pall

You're confusing yourself. The aerotrain has nothing to do with KLIA2. It gets you between the C gates and A/B/G/H gates within the Main Terminal.

From the Main Terminal you can take either the shuttle bus or KLIA ekspres to KLIA 2.

It's actually no more confusing than Heathrow Terminal 4 actually. 

The reason why KLIA2 & KLIA Main Terminal is not connected airside is two-fold - KLIA2 was built years after the Main Terminal, and there are few if any interlining between the airlines using the main terminal which are predominantly Full Service Carriers, and KLIA2 which are predominantly Low Cost Carriers. 

If a passenger thinks something is confusing, then it must be - to a certain extent.

That said, compared to many other airports, I don't think KLIA is confusing at all. But perhaps that's because I (we) are so used to it?

Different people react to new environments differently. Some may also arrive at the airport at odd hours and their body clocks are not in sync. So some confusion is bound to happen. Clear signposting and airport maps should be available to guide passengers to their respective destinations.

It is confusing because the naming convention for KLIA is non standard. Most major airports name their terminals 1, 2, 3.. or A, B, C.. whereas KLIA is not KLIA Terminal 1, it is KLIA, with a Main terminal and a satellite terminal. And KLIA2 is not terminal 2..

It is not confusing to us because we are used to it.. for a first time visitor I think is can be rather confusing.. more so if he's well traveled and are used to naming conventions at other major airports. 

3 hours ago, jit said:

It is confusing because the naming convention for KLIA is non standard. Most major airports name their terminals 1, 2, 3.. or A, B, C.. whereas KLIA is not KLIA Terminal 1, it is KLIA, with a Main terminal and a satellite terminal. And KLIA2 is not terminal 2..

It is not confusing to us because we are used to it.. for a first time visitor I think is can be rather confusing.. more so if he's well traveled and are used to naming conventions at other major airports. 

+1

16 hours ago, jit said:

I honestly don't understand how it is confusing. The only omission is the word "Terminal".

17 hours ago, jit said:

The naming convention is irrelevant if the OP can't differentiate between the Aerotrain and the KLIA Ekspres.

3 hours ago, Chris Tan said:

The naming convention is irrelevant if the OP can't differentiate between the Aerotrain and the KLIA Ekspres.

Exactly. This is what happens when people become too intelligent. Can find their way to post a silly rant in a Malaysian based aviation forum but just can't read simple signs all over the airport terminal building. 

Sign in to follow this