MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
JuliusWong

Malaysia Airlines A330-223 9M-MTY- MH145D Flight Cancellation on New Year's Day, passengers ordeal

2 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

MH is a premium carrier and should not be racing to the bottom with AirAsia Group. 

Someone just placed an order for 40 A330neos, and leasing companies has around 260 A339neo on order, MH should be picking up their phone now tbh.

Sorry, but I can't say that I agree that MH is a premium carrier. It's product and service standards are below full service airlines like CX, whose fares are lower!

AirAsia isn't even in a race with it - to the bottom it certainly isn't heading! My last 5 hr flight with D7 was a better experience than my last similar flight with MH - and at a significantly lower cost.

That is one of the reasons why MH failed to turnaround. I fly MH not out of choice but in the belief that things are improving. I do that about once a year. Sad to say, I have not experienced much improvement and MH is headed into oblivion as it slips down the world's airline rankings every year. So, so sad!

10 hours ago, flee said:

Sorry, but I can't say that I agree that MH is a premium carrier. It's product and service standards are below full service airlines like CX, whose fares are lower!

Out of KUL? Perhaps. 

In general? Absolutely not. You try comparing CX’s ex-HKG fares. 

1 hour ago, Chris Tan said:

Out of KUL? Perhaps. 

As far as fares are concerned, yes it is ex-KUL but my point of view is from a KL based traveller.

2 hours ago, flee said:

As far as fares are concerned, yes it is ex-KUL but my point of view is from a KL based traveller.

You are comparing apples and oranges. MH's hub is KUL and they provide nonstop service to places where most ex-KUL and MH pax want to go. That is the price for convenience. You'd find the same thing for SQ fares ex-SIN, CX fares ex-HKG, LH fares ex-FRA/MUC, AA fares ex-DFW etc. You should compare ex-MNL fares on SQ and PR. You'd be surprised that SQ is much cheaper than PR! If you want cheap MH flights, perhaps try flying from BKK/SIN/TPE?

Not saying this is apple to apple comparison, but rather just a recollection of how the golden goose family dealt with our recent 'misadventure' at their home base :)

yrO5mRt.jpg?1

Our MLE-SIN flight was already delayed at the get go, but the scheduled near 9 hours transit at SIN more than adequately cushioned

uakkAeC.jpg

After a quick sojourn into town for a bak kut teh lunch ..... 

7zXMRum.jpg

... we returned to a well and truly drenched Changi, consequent to which the already busy air traffic was thrown into chaos

Our onward connecting flight to BKI fell victim to that, as it came clear the designated aircraft for our flight, incoming from KUL was held up in a holding pattern west of SIN, whilst awaiting accumulated traffic to clear :)

Something like 5 or 10 minutes before the declared ETD on screen at our gate, I suppose 'they' then decided it was a lost cause and announced a "technical delay due to late arrival of aircraft ....."  (I'm still left wondering if my showing them on my mobile of FR24 tracking of 9V-MGJ incoming from KUL had any bearing on that decision) :)

The apologies started flowing thereafter, and 'refreshment packs' were freely dispensed at the holding gate we were at

Nothing substantial - water, cookies ..... just enough to sustain :)

9V-MGJ eventually arrived after a protracted delay and made her way to gate to disgorge her cargo, both self loading and manually unloaded - all seemed on track (courtesy of FR24 and Changi's complimentary wi-fi)

Then worries mounted, when all activities around the aircraft just ... ceased

Not long after, someone came on the PA to concede the aircraft had gone inoperable, I suppose to you and me, it's "not fit to fly"

I'm not about to go argue that line of logic :)

dQUR9mJ.jpg?1

So this was the slip of paper we were all issued with - go to any of these F&B joints at SIN, present your boarding pass and you're entitled to SGD15 worth of nutritional nourishment  :D

Nothing too note worthy after that really

Excepting that 9V-MGI was drafted in to rescue our journey and we arrived home a tad three hours over our original STA

To be honest, the state we were in by the latter stages, we could not care less what it was thy served us on board (we were 'sustained')

But the one thing that lingered in mind - was the profuse and consistent apologies for the 'misadventure' throughout, once it became apparent it was one of those days (when the stars are misaligned .....) :D

Thanks for the mini TR 😁

’Technical issue’ happens to every airline. But I guess what makes SQ different from MH in this case is how well SQ manage its ‘damage control’, which MH is lacking of

7 hours ago, Kee Hooi Yen said:

Thanks for the mini TR 😁

’Technical issue’ happens to every airline. But I guess what makes SQ different from MH in this case is how well SQ manage its ‘damage control’, which MH is lacking of

Sometimes it all depends on one's luck too. The recent SQ case with A380 RTO twice was handled poorly too. This happened at their home base too. 

You reckon those Japanese blokes who had just stomached ignominy of a 'restructuring' of their own self recently would realistically be in any fit state of mind to undertake the MH challenge ?! 😁

On 1/13/2020 at 11:17 AM, Mohd Suhaimi Fariz said:

As long as the question of ownership of MH is not solved, forget talking about buying/leasing new planes to replace the A330s.

Had MH ordered A350 or 787 a few years ago, A333 replacement won't arise.

On 1/14/2020 at 1:31 AM, Chris Tan said:

Out of KUL? Perhaps. 

Checked ex-KUL fare recently and CX/KA are the most expensive...

4 hours ago, Kenny Sing said:

so long MAB unable to improve their operation efficiency, no need to say any aircraft replacement plan.

If they’re going to lose money anyway they might as well get some shiny new widebodies :D