MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Flaps set wrongly on Mandala 737

How could the pilots mis-configure the flaps? Something so fundamental.

.ny

+++

DATE:25/04/06

SOURCE:Flight International

Flaps set wrongly on Mandala 737

LEITHEN FRANCIS / SINGAPORE

Investigators say incorrect configuration meant twinjet was unable to get airborne when taking off from Medan

Investigations into September’s fatal crash of a Boeing 737-200 in Indonesia have determined that an incorrect flap setting was a contributing factor.

Industry sources in Indonesia familiar with the probe say investigators from Indonesia’s National Transportation Safety Commission (NTSC) have discovered that the Mandala Airlines aircraft failed to get airborne because the flaps were set incorrectly.

The 737-200, registered PK-RIM, took off from Medan airport on 5 September and crashed into approach lights at the end of the runway. It then went through a fence and on to a street, where it crashed into residential buildings, resulting in the death of 99 of the 117 people on board and nearly 50 people on the ground.

After the crash there were reports that the NTSC investigators had found a fan blade in poor condition. But a source in Indonesia familiar with the probe says investigators took the suspect Pratt & Whitney JT8D-15 engine to Indonesian Aerospace’s hangar in Bandung for examination and found “there was no indication that the engine was not working”.

NTSC investigators also determined there was no fuel contamination, says the source. The NTSC is still working on its analysis, but hopes to “come up with a final draft [report]” at the end of May.

http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles/2006/...andala+737.html

Thanks naim,Have been looking foward to know whats the problem of the crash...haha hope Air Crash Investigation will do one episode about Mandala 737 Crash...

How could the pilots mis-configure the flaps? Something so fundamental.

Mistakes are made a lot of times...however, check-check-doublecheck...luckily, they did on RG, see below:

I'm not supposed to tell you this, but even on my RG MD11 flight into AMS (see trippie and pictures), I noticed, during the approach, flaps were set first at around 20 (I guess) and later RETRACTED to around 10, before selecting to final landing configuration...I thought it was quite embarrasing, when I saw this :o

hope Air Crash Investigation will do one episode about Mandala 737 Crash...

Yeah..

So the plane age has nothing to do eh?

No. But the takeoff config warning could've warn them. Unless, of course, the mistake is about flap setting 5 or 15.... But then again that is MES, so even flap 5 should be okay. flap 15 will give you a shorter takeoff run. If flap is set below 5, the horn will be deafening.

Horn not working? Maybe the flap lever was correctly set but the flaps didn't extend?

Edited by Attan

Sign in to follow this