MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Mike P

AirAsia X introduces flight to Madrid!

Saw on FB D7 to operate flight to Madrid and it was on their website, too! Booking is available at 16th Nov 2019 at 9am! RM 99 all in return?!

image.png

I think you are mistaken. 

It is airasia.com that is selling air tickets for other airlines. So this RM 99 promo is not for Airasia X flights.

¡Increíble! AirAsia expands offering to include other airlines on airasia.com

SEPANG, 15 November 2019 - AirAsia has expanded its online offering to include flights on other airlines as it transforms airasia.com into Asia Pacific’s leading travel and lifestyle platform.

Announced in partnership with leading travel technology company Kiwi.com, destinations such as London, Dubai, Madrid and Auckland are now available to the more than 50 million unique monthly users who choose to book flights, hotels, activities and more on airasia.com.

airasia.com CEO Tony Fernandes said, “Today is an unbelievable day. When we started AirAsia as a low-cost airline back in 2001, I never thought one day we would be selling our competitors. But if there’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s never say never. Never say never and believe the unbelievable. Today, with the help of Kiwi.com, we are reinventing ourselves as more than just an airline, bringing to life our vision for airasia.com to be the region’s one-stop travel shop.”

airasia.com Head of Airline Distribution Rajiv Kumar said, “In addition to the strategic partnership with Kiwi.com, which is focused on content and technology sharing, we are also exploring opportunities to partner directly with airlines and companies who complement our existing network and travel services beyond Asia Pacific.”

Powered by Kiwi.com, AirAsia’s website users will be able to book travel on more than 100 airlines to destinations currently not served by AirAsia, including Europe, Australia, New Zealand, the Middle East and the Americas.

Kiwi.com CEO Oliver Dlouhý said, “I’m extremely proud that Kiwi.com has been selected to power AirAsia’s transformation and its ambition to make airasia.com a leading travel and lifestyle platform. We have an abundance of airlines and ground carriers at our disposal and together with AirAsia and its enormous customer base, we are proud to be able to open their platform to the rest of the world.”

More: https://newsroom.airasia.com/news/airasia-expands-offering-to-include-other-airlines-on-airasiacom

Edited by flee

Wonder what happened to Expedia? Isn't Kiwi same as Expedia? 

1 hour ago, Waiping said:

Wonder what happened to Expedia? Isn't Kiwi same as Expedia? 

Airasia sold off all its shares in Expedia. 

airasia.com is now their new Expedia - 100% owned. TF has expressed his dream that airasia.com will ultimately be like amazon.com, selling everything and not just airasia tickets.

The route is flown by Emirates. My friends managed to get two tickets. Return ticket RM198. ....I suppose exclude all relevant tax and charges. Mad crazy few tickets only. 

Typical Airasia hype... attract lots of people to their website, put them in a waiting room and sell tickets which are not advertised. Meanwhile only a select few will get their RM 99 tickets!

Have to accept the fact AirAsia is the market leader when it comes promotions, attracting customers and creating hype. Making full use of social media to get attention. Creative marketing at its best. The impact AirAsia has on passengers have gone down to a point where they don't even compare fares to other airlines when it comes to buying a ticket. Even though other airlines maybe cheaper and probably full service. Its brand power to say the least. 

1 hour ago, Pall said:

Have to accept the fact AirAsia is the market leader when it comes promotions, attracting customers and creating hype. Making full use of social media to get attention. Creative marketing at its best. The impact AirAsia has on passengers have gone down to a point where they don't even compare fares to other airlines when it comes to buying a ticket. Even though other airlines maybe cheaper and probably full service. Its brand power to say the least. 

Well, they aim to monetise their user database. That is why airasia.com is no longer a website for Airasia but is a business unit in itself. They want to be like amazon.com, selling all kinds of things. Their philosophy is to have users not only buy Airasia tickets but also other things in their daily lives. They now have kiwi.com as partners, lets see who else will join them. Will they also allow other sellers on their platform?

5 hours ago, flee said:

Typical Airasia hype... attract lots of people to their website, put them in a waiting room and sell tickets which are not advertised. Meanwhile only a select few will get their RM 99 tickets!

or maybe only 1 or 2 seats.

5 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

Well they did mentioned limited tickets available. So they're not entirely wrong at all. 

legally legit, technically legit, in terms of sales person point of view, this is nothing wrong.

So the possibility is there, unlikely though it may seem (for now at least) to have airasia.com peddling MH and OD seats ?! :)

Now that would be levelling the playing field somewhat (on assumption no one does any tinkering to the algorithm within) :D

Personally I feel this idea will fail quite terribly. Can't imagine airlines wanting to share their inventory with AirAsia. Will be interesting to see if proven wrong.

1 hour ago, jani said:

Personally I feel this idea will fail quite terribly. Can't imagine airlines wanting to share their inventory with AirAsia. Will be interesting to see if proven wrong.

I don't think the airline has any say if they are okay with listing on Kiwi.com.

In any case, the airlines still wins because they get extra revenue from an additional marketing channel.

On 11/25/2019 at 10:10 AM, Mohd Suhaimi Fariz said:

I don't think the airline has any say if they are okay with listing on Kiwi.com.

In any case, the airlines still wins because they get extra revenue from an additional marketing channel.

Are you sure? I seem to remember AirAsia not wanting to list on Traveloka. Whatever it is, am not familiar with the whole model so perhaps I am wrong.

Will airasia.com just sell routes AirAsia doesn't serve? If no, what if JL is cheaper to Osaka? Customers will buy JL instead of D7? Actually I should research all this myself but too lazy haha

10 minutes ago, jani said:

Are you sure? I seem to remember AirAsia not wanting to list on Traveloka. Whatever it is, am not familiar with the whole model so perhaps I am wrong.

Will airasia.com just sell routes AirAsia doesn't serve? If no, what if JL is cheaper to Osaka? Customers will buy JL instead of D7? Actually I should research all this myself but too lazy haha

Technically that's the case. Not sure if the airline can still list on Kiwi.com & ask them to stop listing on AirAsia's site.

From the looks of things they only sell tickets to select routes - AKL, BCN, DOH, DXB IST, LHR & MAD. Funny thing is you can actually buy MH flights to LHR!

I just checked the website myself. Not the most intuitive.

There is some slight confusion if you type in KUL it will refer to KLIA main and hence no AirAsia flights from there.

Also MH to LHR on the dates I selected where RM61 more expensive on airasia.com/kiwi.com compared to the official website but I guess that's normal for all these aggregating websites.

23 hours ago, jani said:

IIRC it was because Air Asia Group couldn't agree on the commission with Traveloka.

If JL/MH is cheaper than D7 to TYO/KIX, then airasia.com should still sell you that JL/MH ticket.

23 hours ago, jani said:

Also MH to LHR on the dates I selected where RM61 more expensive on airasia.com/kiwi.com compared to the official website but I guess that's normal for all these aggregating websites.

Commission 😉

If there are no price/fare condition differences between OTA(s) and airline, always buy from airline directly. If there is a schedule change or if you need to change your flights, it's usually much easier to deal directly with the airline. If you buy your tickets from airasia.com for say a MH KUL-LHR ticket and you need to change your flights, you'd need to contact either kiwi.com or AirAsia.com (I don't know which one you should contact but you need to contact the OTA and you need to add fees imposed by kiwi.com or airasia.com if they have any on top of the change fees imposed by MH).

My preferred method of checking air ticket prices is using Google flights. GF gives you the local point-of-sale (POS) prices for most flights (I've encountered POS problems with flights from Indonesia and Latin America tho)

Edited by Craig

Sign in to follow this