MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

FAA Downgrades Malaysia's Air Safety Rating to Category 2.

45 minutes ago, KK Lee said:

A reduction of mavcom expenses is enough to pay for caam's shortfall.

Mavcom's budget is huge as it is based on a collection of RM 1 per pax at all of Malaysia's airports.

Really don't know why Mavcom cannot be part of CAAM. However, what is really needed to be separate is our version of the NTSB. We do not have that kind of expertise to investigate air crashes and we do need it now because we have so many airlines and we also have many aircraft in their fleets.

How we lost our head in civil aviation

IN the world of aviation Malaysia is not a big name — we do not build aeroplanes nor do we lead in any field of technology related to flying, but we do have a relatively clean track record when it comes to safety.

Until last year, the Department of Civil Aviation (DCA) was considered an example for others in the region to follow as we made sure that flying in and out of Malaysia is as safe as can be.

To be sure, our aviation sector was not really a technical trailblazer operating on the cutting edge of technology, but we did have to face the challenge of AirAsia, a budget airline that grew so fast that it made the world sit up and take notice.

Overseeing a fast-growing budget airline is not an easy task; as the term implies, such aviation outfits work the very limit of cost cutting. If not properly supervised they could easily cut corners and put lives at risk.

Budget airlines also generate a lot of complaints, primarily due to delays and quality of service as they push manpower and equipment to the brink of the impossible.

Budget airlines do generate a lot of technical and safety concerns because they just work planes and people harder, that is their nature.

Somehow, the DCA managed to keep everything in check and its strictness allowed AirAsia the framework to grow safely and sustainably.

Hats off to DCA for a task well done. So, how did we slide so far down the totem pole to join the ranks of only six other nations in Category 2 of the American Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA) classification of countries that connect directly to the United States?

The demotion could not have happened overnight as the FAA clearly knew what it was doing.

More here: https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/2019/11/538889/how-we-lost-our-head-civil-aviation

On 11/16/2019 at 10:59 AM, flee said:

Mavcom's budget is huge as it is based on a collection of RM 1 per pax at all of Malaysia's airports.

Really don't know why Mavcom cannot be part of CAAM. However, what is really needed to be separate is our version of the NTSB. We do not have that kind of expertise to investigate air crashes and we do need it now because we have so many airlines and we also have many aircraft in their fleets.

Because the remit of ensuring air safety should be separate from the act of promoting aviation in the country. There may be conflicts of interest there.

Rather than combining them, make their roles clearer, in that MAVCOM should focus on the front end portion - that is, airlines, passengers & airports, while CAAM focuses on safety, regulations & navigation systems. 

Heard caam being instructed to study the possibility of increasing air space charges to airlines. Wonder if this will affect consumer ticket prices.

1 hour ago, flee said:

Najib never said FAA audit. He was referring to the ICAO audit - which is basically the standard to which the FAA IASA is following.

16 minutes ago, jahur said:

Heard caam being instructed to study the possibility of increasing air space charges to airlines. Wonder if this will affect consumer ticket prices.

It will.

Took them long enough to form a task force.

https://www.theborneopost.com/2019/11/18/task-force-formed-to-oversee-caam-corrective-measures/

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

6 hours ago, jahur said:

Heard caam being instructed to study the possibility of increasing air space charges to airlines. 

This probably affects a lot of airlines that doesn't fly to/from Malaysia (e.g. QF/AF/LH/LX) or flights that just overfly Malaysia (e.g. AU/NZ-DXB/DOH/AUH, HKG/CAN-PER/DPS).

Does anybody knows if Thailand have exorbitant fees for using their airspace? KA, CZ, Fedex/UPS seems to enter Malaysian air space near Kota Bharu and then fly close to the MY-TH border and then northwards towards PEN and sometimes even LGK instead of cutting across Thai airspace (or are there no air ways around that area?). Even KA's HKG-KNO avoid Thai airspace.

5 hours ago, Craig said:

This probably affects a lot of airlines that doesn't fly to/from Malaysia (e.g. QF/AF/LH/LX) or flights that just overfly Malaysia (e.g. AU/NZ-DXB/DOH/AUH, HKG/CAN-PER/DPS).

Does anybody knows if Thailand have exorbitant fees for using their airspace? KA, CZ, Fedex/UPS seems to enter Malaysian air space near Kota Bharu and then fly close to the MY-TH border and then northwards towards PEN and sometimes even LGK instead of cutting across Thai airspace (or are there no air ways around that area?). Even KA's HKG-KNO avoid Thai airspace.

The charges are a bit convoluted compared to MY.

https://www.caat.or.th/en/archives/25480

http://aip.dca.gov.my/aip pdf/GEN/GEN 4/GEN 4.2/Air Navigation Service Charges.pdf

Well it is about time they reviewed their charges. Otherwise, how can they afford to have sufficient resources for their operations?

7 hours ago, Mohd Suhaimi Fariz said:

Probably makes sense why airlines avoid BKK FIR. Even a short 100km to cut across say Narathiwat/Yala (borders with Kelantan/Perak) will be quite significant. E.g. an A320 (MTOW is 68,000 kg according to Wikipedia), the cost to flyover 100km BKK FIR is ~850 THB where as a 100km flight over KUL/BKI FIR is ~RM11 😂. So basically peanuts and a fraction of what Thailand charges (please double check my maths).

Edited to add: TH charges the same rate for the first 250km (so doesn't matter if airline fly over 1 km or 250km). Malaysia charges RM27 for 250km. Still small change.

Edited by Craig

8 minutes ago, Craig said:

Probably makes sense why airlines avoid BKK FIR. Even a short 100km to cut across say Narathiwat/Yala (borders with Kelantan/Perak) will be quite significant. E.g. an A320 (MTOW is 68,000 kg according to Wikipedia), the cost to flyover 100km BKK FIR is ~850 THB where as a 100km flight over KUL/BKI FIR is ~RM11 😂. So basically peanuts and a fraction of what Thailand charges (please double check my maths).

Edited to add: TH charges the same rate for the first 250km (so doesn't matter if airline fly over 1 km or 250km). Malaysia charges RM27 for 250km. Still small change.

Oh my, can't believe how affordable Malaysia is, time for 1000% increment. I wonder if CAAM is facing financial constraint at the moment, hence could not afford or could not hire qualified personnel.

1 minute ago, JuliusWong said:

Oh my, can't believe how affordable Malaysia is, time for 1000% increment. I wonder if CAAM is facing financial constraint at the moment, hence could not afford or could not hire qualified personnel.

I think it is the PSD that dictates the salary scales. As such, there must be some restructuring at PSD as well.

Heard CAAM had a lengthy meeting with FBO yesterday afternoon. It seems issues raised by FAA audit was not act upon within the stipulated period. A major concern now is will EASA follow FAA?

What an embarrassment... one of the six countries in category 2. How did it get so bad? Politicians busy with airing each other’s dirty laundry and enriching themselves. this will take a lot of time to sort out 

6 hours ago, Izanee said:

What an embarrassment... one of the six countries in category 2. How did it get so bad? Politicians busy with airing each other’s dirty laundry and enriching themselves. this will take a lot of time to sort out 

Yes, a huge embarrassment - when the PH govt. came into power, many working in the civil service and GLCs were shaking in their pants. They were expecting things to change and heads to roll. That fear subsided within 6 months and everything sort of settled down. Now, can we expect a wake up call?

Our politicians are too busy fighting amongst themselves to be serving the people. I do hope that we will have a real choice at the next election so that we can kick out this lot of useless bums.

U.S. economic sanctions against Iran are illegal and Malaysia does not support them, the southeast Asian nation’s Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad said Saturday in Doha.

The curbs have constrained Malaysia’s access to an important market and trading partner, he said at a conference in the Qatari capital.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-12-14/malaysia-does-not-support-u-s-curbs-on-iran-premier-says?srnd=premium-asia

If Dr M is encouraging local companies to breach U.S economic sanction, FAA is unlikely to restore CAAM status anytime soon.

Malaysian airlines used to have air services to Iran and Iranian airlines currently serve KUL - is that sanctions busting?

14 hours ago, flee said:

Malaysian airlines used to have air services to Iran and Iranian airlines currently serve KUL - is that sanctions busting?

Iran’s Foreign Ministry called in the South Korean ambassador last month to demand payment of 7 trillion won ($6 billion) for oil it sold to the Asian country, Chosun Ilbo reported, citing officials it didn’t identify.

Iran expressed “strong regret” over Seoul’s failure to complete the payment, which has been deposited at two South Korean banks without being transferred to Iran’s central bank for years due to U.S. sanctions against the Middle Eastern country, the newspaper said. It added that other Iranian authorities including the central bank also complained.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-12-14/iran-demands-6-billion-oil-payment-from-south-korea-chosun?srnd=premium-asia

The trap is clearly marked and U.S won't stop anyone to walk into. When will DoJ sprung the trap depends on U.S administration i.e politics. The longer one spend in the trap, more leverage and damages is expected, which many foreign banks e.g hsbc have experienced. 

Edited by KK Lee

Batik Air CEO Capt Mushafiz Mustafa Bakri described the reinstatement to Category 1 as good news for Malaysia and Malaysian carriers.

“It enables Batik Air to expand our services to new destinations, and more importantly, secure the necessary approvals more speedily.

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2022/10/02/malaysian-airlines-can-now-expand-networks

TPAC services with 7M8s, anyone? :D

Edited by Chris Tan

19 hours ago, Craig said:

Malaysia is back in Category 1. I love how the media speculates that Malaysian carriers will mount flights to the US 😂

FAA press release

I'm still waiting for response from MasWings here 😁

Sign in to follow this