MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

FAA Downgrades Malaysia's Air Safety Rating to Category 2.

47 minutes ago, Mohd Suhaimi Fariz said:

The problem with this is that the technically minded won't want to join the government because of less than lucrative pay. Why would they, when they can join the private sector & earn so much more.

On another note, maybe this strengthens the case for MAVCOM's existence, given how the FAA IASA program focuses only on the safety aspect of things.

screenshot.224.jpg

Merge Mavcom back into CAAM and use the combined budgets for the advancement of Malaysian civil aviation.

The only way around this is to hire foreign expats who have the neccesary skills and capability and fill the gaps now while they train our locals to take over eventually. CAAM needs to improve the local pay package too, monetary and fringe benefit as well. Too bad, we can't just keep saying no budget, no budget now. Time is of the essence. 

Visited CAM office in Putrajaya a while back. For first time goers it will be a bit tough cause its so small it doesnt even look like an government agency. You enter and it looks like small makeshift kedai runcit with one counter and only 2 staffs. By right it should be at least 15 admin staffs there. Not only that safety oversight issue like theres only few instructor holding multiple typerating overlooking all our airlines its severely understaffed.

Quite a sensational claim by FAA after the fiasco of Boeing 737 Max. So CAAM has to bear the full responsibility on this then? How would MH and AK/D7 and OD play the roles here to help to improve the category?

This would be another question mark on the potential buyer of MH. To relate this matter to MH 370 and MH 17 is also quite absurd, with MH 370 is still no where to be found and unclear of the aircraft's whereabout and MH 17 was totally out of its control while it was flying on an approved route, wasn't SQ and another Indian carrier was just behind MH 17? Both incidents just put MH on a real bad year of luck in 2014, it's ironic that US satellite could tell China was deploying tanks in Shenzhen to prepare for HK's situation but could not detect MH 370...hmmmm...  

4 hours ago, Mohd Suhaimi Fariz said:

Won't work.

Why be the jack of all trades and master of none? 

Why not? Mavcom will just be a department under the CAAM and both will be financed by the tax on the travelling public together with fees that the CAAM levies for its services.

I sort of anticipated this move: CAAM mulls higher fees on aviation industry services

Slight correction to MH/AA code-share. It seems like AA can't place its code on MH operated flights (AA has already removed its code on MH's LHR/NRT/HKG/SIN-KUL etc. flights). MH code however is still on AA operated flights (I don't know if MH is allowed to place its code on AA flights or just haven't got around to it yet). MH however is still allowed to continue (but can't expand) existing code-share agreements with other carriers already in place for flights to/from US (e.g. QR, JL, CX).

8 hours ago, flee said:

Why not? Mavcom will just be a department under the CAAM and both will be financed by the tax on the travelling public together with fees that the CAAM levies for its services.

I sort of anticipated this move: CAAM mulls higher fees on aviation industry services

Not going to work that way. Pretty sure that someone (and you know who that someone is) is going to argue that now that MAVCOM is under CAAM, they should cut the tax, which undoubtedly will happen to curry favour with the voters, and thus CAAM ends up with less funding & more to do.

6 hours ago, Craig said:

Slight correction to MH/AA code-share. It seems like AA can't place its code on MH operated flights (AA has already removed its code on MH's LHR/NRT/HKG/SIN-KUL etc. flights). MH code however is still on AA operated flights (I don't know if MH is allowed to place its code on AA flights or just haven't got around to it yet). MH however is still allowed to continue (but can't expand) existing code-share agreements with other carriers already in place for flights to/from US (e.g. QR, JL, CX).

Did AA remove the code after the downgrade or they have done it before? The downgrade may impact the pending MH-SQ code sharing agreement if the US destionations are included in the agreement. Hopefully not.

Catergory 1 in 12 months, says CAAM
https://www.thestartv.com/v/catergory-1-in-12-months-says-caam

Malaysia Airlines says US codeshare deals may be hit by FAA country downgrade 

https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/2019/11/538015/malaysia-airlines-says-us-codeshare-deals-may-be-hit-faa-country

"The Civil Aviation Authority of Malaysia (CAAM) said it hoped to restore a Category 1 rating swiftly. “We are confident we can attain it in 12 months,” CAAM board member Afzal Abdul Rahim told reporters.

He said CAAM needed to address 33 weaknesses found by the FAA, including those related to the technical certification of officers, regulatory gaps and CAAM’s structural issues.

Afzal said CAAM would propose amendments to relevant laws to the government to meet the FAA’s requirements"

I wonder if the 33 weakness is made known publically by FAA.

Caam bout to hike fees. Guess renewing license is going for a price increase again. 

Edited by jahur

3 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

Did AA remove the code after the downgrade or they have done it before? The downgrade may impact the pending MH-SQ code sharing agreement if the US destionations are included in the agreement. Hopefully not.

Catergory 1 in 12 months, says CAAM
https://www.thestartv.com/v/catergory-1-in-12-months-says-caam

I wonder if the 33 weakness is made known publically by FAA.

AA removed it yesterday when FAA announced the downgrade. Basically MH/D7 can't add/change any flights to the US either via their own metal or code-share. CAAM is urging the FAA to audit them again but they probably won't do it. FAA conducted the audit April 2019, results were provided to CAAM July 2019 and they made the announcement in November 2019. 

I might be naive, but I feel like the FAA gave CAAM a chance - fix it before it becomes official (hence the delay from July to November) but I guess CAAM couldn't/didn't fix the shortcomings. And the FAA won't make the deficiencies public.

53 minutes ago, flee said:

From the article:

On the issue of salary, it said CAAM comes under the purview of the Public Service Department, which follows the government pay scale whereby it is based on seniority rather than qualification.

Now that's a huge issue if someone with an arts history degree working in a museum is getting the same compensation as one with engineering degree working in the Public Works Department (not to belittle arts history major, but just choosing a less technical example) if they both join at the same date.

Edited by Craig

CAAM issues are basically a result of the government (past and present) politicking too much and not doing the job of governing. So it is best that politicians stop the talking and start to do some work they were elected to do!

4 hours ago, flee said:

I very much doubt that this matter can be resolved in 12 months. More likely to happen only in 2021.

Unless all three airlines in Malaysia buy shitload of Boeing aircarft as sweetener and Dr. M visits USA more often in next two years to urge Donald Trump for a favour. Knowing how Dr. M works, nah, till hell freezes over. Vietnam and the Philippines were in Cat II for a long period before FAA finally approved them. Right after high level officals including their President numerous visit and Vietjet signed 200 MAX order and Vietnam Airlines bought shitload B787s. The Phillipines bought B77W.

2 hours ago, Craig said:

AA removed it yesterday when FAA announced the downgrade. Basically MH/D7 can't add/change any flights to the US either via their own metal or code-share. CAAM is urging the FAA to audit them again but they probably won't do it. FAA conducted the audit April 2019, results were provided to CAAM July 2019 and they made the announcement in November 2019. 

I might be naive, but I feel like the FAA gave CAAM a chance - fix it before it becomes official (hence the delay from July to November) but I guess CAAM couldn't/didn't fix the shortcomings. And the FAA won't make the deficiencies public.

From the article:

Now that's a huge issue if someone with an arts history degree working in a museum is getting the same compensation as one with engineering degree working in the Public Works Department (not to belittle arts history major, but just choosing a less technical example) if they both join at the same date.

Agree with you here. I hope they are employed based on their calibre and capability, not because of their cable. It is airline industry safety and regulation we are talking about here. Hundreds and thousands stakeholders livelihoods are at stake. Employees, suppliers, down to flying public.

I supposed AirAsia X can withdraw flight but not adding more flight due to the downgrade? The downgrade coudl trigger ripple effect on all three airlines, causing them to pay more insurance premium and leasing cost. 

Malaysia has lost a lot of aviation talent over the decades when MH went through several rounds of restructuring and many of these now with ME3 and China/Hong Kong/Taiwan. No thanks to politics.

22 minutes ago, JuliusWong said:

Unless all three airlines in Malaysia buy shitload of Boeing aircarft as sweetener and Dr. M visits USA more often in next two years to urge Donald Trump for a favour. Knowing how Dr. M works, nah, till hell freezes over. Vietnam and the Philippines were in Cat II for a long period before FAA finally approved them. Right after high level officals including their President numerous visit and Vietjet signed 200 MAX order and Vietnam Airlines bought shitload B787s. The Phillipines bought B77W.

Trump is under impeachment hearing! bro! 

51 minutes ago, JuliusWong said:

I supposed AirAsia X can withdraw flight but not adding more flight due to the downgrade?

Airasia X can only operate the service exactly as it is now. Cannot change anything, not even deploy the A330 Neo.

I suppose this is where Indonesia Airasia X can come in... DPS/CGK-KUL-KIX-LAX, anyone? 8)

17 hours ago, Mohd Suhaimi Fariz said:

Not going to work that way. Pretty sure that someone (and you know who that someone is) is going to argue that now that MAVCOM is under CAAM, they should cut the tax, which undoubtedly will happen to curry favour with the voters, and thus CAAM ends up with less funding & more to do.

If I understand you correctly, that someone is Tony Fernandes. 

If I remember correctly, he is an advocate for an ASEAN wide regulatory body similar to EASA in Europe. He believes that this will increase regulatory consistency across ASEAN and also cut compliance costs.

26 minutes ago, flee said:

If I remember correctly, he is an advocate for an ASEAN wide regulatory body similar to EASA in Europe. He believes that this will increase regulatory consistency across ASEAN and also cut compliance costs.

Of course he does. ASEAN has plenty of ideas for a more unified ASEAN but a unified aviation regulatory body is probably not on top of the list. And I'd love to think that countries like Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos would love to pony up some cash just so carriers from Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, Brunei, Indonesia and the Philippines can fly to AU/NZ, Europe, and US/Canada 😀

For a unified ASEAN aviation regulatory body to even take form, the ASEAN nations as a whole need to be unified in hell loads of stuff (economy, immigration, political stand, etc etc etc) . A unified aviation regulatory within this region is probably item number infinity in the priority list as what Craig highlighted. 

For anyone who's curious what the shortcomings were:

Of the 33 issues, sources said five involve changing or amendments to be made to the law governing CAAM. This process can take a few months. About seven require changes to be made to the CAAM Act, 10 surround training and recruitment, and the remaining 11 are on the delegation of authority and documentation methodology.

Sources said progress has been made in several areas, including training and recruitment, and other areas are being handled concurrently.

Taken from The Star. Apparently they almost got downgraded to Category 2 back in 2003 too.

1 hour ago, Craig said:

For anyone who's curious what the shortcomings were:

Taken from The Star. Apparently they almost got downgraded to Category 2 back in 2003 too.

What's more important is the fact that they were able to rectify the situation quickly so that didn't happen.

Why not now?

On 11/13/2019 at 7:30 AM, Mohd Suhaimi Fariz said:

A reduction of mavcom expenses is enough to pay for caam's shortfall.

18 hours ago, Mohd Suhaimi Fariz said:

What's more important is the fact that they were able to rectify the situation quickly so that didn't happen.

Why not now?

Some in the chain of command were arrogant.

Sign in to follow this