MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

Mavcom has failed the aviation sector

No wonder TF suddenly removed the processing fee recently. Bank Negara should impose fines on them too for collecting processing fee, cc/debit card fee. damn, how many hundred millions have they collected or is collecting.

They're dumb. They could have just included all the processing fee into the fare. That's what other airlines do...

They're dumb. They could have just included all the processing fee into the fare. That's what other airlines do...

It has always been their policy to itemise charges - so nothing new there. However, this creates the perception that Airasia charges for everything and nothing is free. The market is not so sophisticated to think otherwise.

What I don't particularly like about their CC fees is that it is charged per pax per sector. It does not make sense to call it a CC charge - a more equitable charge is a fee per payment transaction.

This charge for using CCs is a very Malaysian thing - most countries have abolished this long ago as they have stronger consumer protection laws and regulations.

It has always been their policy to itemise charges - so nothing new there. However, this creates the perception that Airasia charges for everything and nothing is free. The market is not so sophisticated to think otherwise.

What I don't particularly like about their CC fees is that it is charged per pax per sector. It does not make sense to call it a CC charge - a more equitable charge is a fee per payment transaction.

This charge for using CCs is a very Malaysian thing - most countries have abolished this long ago as they have stronger consumer protection laws and regulations.

as always, malaysian consumer associations are not strong enough to fight for the consumers, let alone the government who not that keen to setup such laws and regulations to protect consumers.

as always, malaysian consumer associations are not strong enough to fight for the consumers, let alone the government who not that keen to setup such laws and regulations to protect consumers.

I thought the whole bane of Mavcoms existence is to do just that ? Does that mean they have failed?

No, it is not a Malaysian thing. It happens in more places than you seem to think, even in countries that supposedly have strong consumer protection laws.

Yes, Touch n Go is still imposing its 10% surcharge at car parks! Edited by flee

The saga continues - it seems that Mavcom don't really know that their charter dictates that they should protect consumers! They have let their "battle" with Airasia cloud their responsibilities to the very people who pay their salaries - the air passengers!

Mavcom: We never got AirAsia’s daily reports on KLIA2 immigration congestion:

https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia/2019/10/21/mavcom-we-never-got-airasias-daily-reports-on-klia2-immigration-congestion/1802349

https://www.mavcom.my/en/2019/10/21/immigration-congestion-at-klia-2/

And Airasia couldn't help themselves in chastising Mavcom on behalf of the travelling public. These two entities are taking things very personally!

Provide proof of klia2 long lines? Not our job, AirAsia tells Mavcom:

https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia/2019/10/22/provide-proof-of-klia2-long-lines-not-our-job-airasia-tells-mavcom/1802678

https://newsroom.airasia.com/news/2019/10/22/mavcom-has-failed-malaysian-aviation-consumers-says-airasia

19 hours ago, flee said:

The saga continues - it seems that Mavcom don't really know that their charter dictates that they should protect consumers! They have let their "battle" with Airasia cloud their responsibilities to the very people who pay their salaries - the air passengers!

Mavcom: We never got AirAsia’s daily reports on KLIA2 immigration congestion:

https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia/2019/10/21/mavcom-we-never-got-airasias-daily-reports-on-klia2-immigration-congestion/1802349

https://www.mavcom.my/en/2019/10/21/immigration-congestion-at-klia-2/

And Airasia couldn't help themselves in chastising Mavcom on behalf of the travelling public. These two entities are taking things very personally!

Provide proof of klia2 long lines? Not our job, AirAsia tells Mavcom:

https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia/2019/10/22/provide-proof-of-klia2-long-lines-not-our-job-airasia-tells-mavcom/1802678

https://newsroom.airasia.com/news/2019/10/22/mavcom-has-failed-malaysian-aviation-consumers-says-airasia

The accuser should have furnished enough proof to support their allegations. AirAsia is acting like a petulant child just to get at MAVCOM.

17 minutes ago, flee said:

End result - consumer protection non existent.

I doubt the airline cares much about consumer protection.

In any case, shouldn't Immigrations be questioned for the immigration issue? Why blame MAHB or MAVCOM when it's the Immigration Department that can't provide enough manpower?

1 minute ago, Mohd Suhaimi Fariz said:

In any case, shouldn't Immigrations be questioned for the immigration issue? Why blame MAHB or MAVCOM when it's the Immigration Department that can't provide enough manpower?

That is for MAVCOM to investigate as they are the regulator.

In the past, they have moved at snail's pace and by the time they make their report, the faults are already corrected, e.g. Airasia's processing fee complaints. This congestion issue may also be resolved before MAVCOM starts their investigation.

Take a step back and look at the bigger picture. PDRM won't open any file to investigate without a proper report right? So why should Mavcom?

Anyone have zero experience in filing a police report? Road accidents maybe?

I don't think the problem is limited to KLIA2/T2. My friend arrived from SIN on MH last week and he told me it took him an hour to clear immigration (he doesn't hold a Malaysian passport).

Having that said, I really don't know how Mavcom is responsible for solving or to be blamed for long immigration queues. This is almost like UA/AA/DL complaining to the DOT for long immigration queues.

9 hours ago, flee said:

That is for MAVCOM to investigate as they are the regulator.

I didn't know that consumer rights involve short immigration waiting time. 

16 minutes ago, Craig said:

I don't think the problem is limited to KLIA2/T2. My friend arrived from SIN on MH last week and he told me it took him an hour to clear immigration (he doesn't hold a Malaysian passport).

Having that said, I really don't know how Mavcom is responsible for solving or to be blamed for long immigration queues. This is almost like UA/AA/DL complaining to the DOT for long immigration queues.

I didn't know that consumer rights involve short immigration waiting time. 

Yes, MTB has its fair share of delays too. However, they do have more space at immigration halls whereas at klia2, the immigration area is really an afterthought. The queue for foreigners impede pax heading to the autogates for Malaysian passports.

Mavcom was not blamed for the long immigration queues. They were informed of them but they did not even bother to check if this was true. They were blamed for inaction while the problem escalated and persisted even after complaints were made.

As the regulator, Mavcom has to ensure that issues are investigated and action is recommended to responsible parties so that they can correct the situation. In some cases, they may also punish the parties concerned for their bad behaviour - as Mavcom has done to MAHB and Airasia in the past. 

The immigration delays have caused pax to miss connecting flights - what if airlines charge the pax for a new ticket after they have missed their connecting flights? Will Mavcom censure them?

Mavcom - Who We Are: https://www.mavcom.my/en/who-we-are/

Edited by flee

1 hour ago, flee said:

Yes, MTB has its fair share of delays too. However, they do have more space at immigration halls whereas at klia2, the immigration area is really an afterthought. The queue for foreigners impede pax heading to the autogates for Malaysian passports.

Mavcom was not blamed for the long immigration queues. They were informed of them but they did not even bother to check if this was true. They were blamed for inaction while the problem escalated and persisted even after complaints were made.

As the regulator, Mavcom has to ensure that issues are investigated and action is recommended to responsible parties so that they can correct the situation. In some cases, they may also punish the parties concerned for their bad behaviour - as Mavcom has done to MAHB and Airasia in the past. 

The immigration delays have caused pax to miss connecting flights - what if airlines charge the pax for a new ticket after they have missed their connecting flights? Will Mavcom censure them?

Mavcom - Who We Are: https://www.mavcom.my/en/who-we-are/

Unless you’re telling me the Immigration Department of Malaysia is subservient to Mavcom, I just don’t see how this is the latter’s problem. Sure, it’d be great if all the stakeholders can get together to fix every issue faced by passengers, but let’s get real. 

There’s plenty of praise for consumer rights in the West, but the reality is you’d be hard pressed to claim under EU261/2004 if you misconnect because of immigration queues. In the US, you think the DOT is going to fight the DHS over 2-3hr queues at LAX?

What next? Is Mavcom going to fine that company whose lorry broke down in the middle of the NKVE resulting in missed flights? Or take Indonesia to the ICJ because their haze grounds flights in Malaysia?

Many folks seemed to be confused about the real issue. It is not about unmanned immigration counters or lengthy period to clear arrival immigration but the lack of space at KLIA2 for orderly queues and the lack of space at KLIA2 for more immigration counters - which is the issue for MAHB to address if they do actually recognise it as an issue. That arrival hall is one big mess, as if nobody at MAHB had realised that there is a need for passengers to clear immigration to enter the country.

2 hours ago, Mushrif A said:

Many folks seemed to be confused about the real issue. It is not about unmanned immigration counters or lengthy period to clear arrival immigration but the lack of space at KLIA2 for orderly queues and the lack of space at KLIA2 for more immigration counters - which is the issue for MAHB to address if they do actually recognise it as an issue. That arrival hall is one big mess, as if nobody at MAHB had realised that there is a need for passengers to clear immigration to enter the country.

You hit the nail on the head! Now MAHB is looking into this lack of space.

Mavcom was accused of inaction to a persistent problem in an aviation facility. This problem will hinder VMY 2020 if left unsolved.

We must remember that they are a statutory body and have duties and responsibilities that are defined by an act of parliament.

im not sure how's the immigration counter over KLIA2, but from my recent flight, week ago, i notice that the immigration counter is upgrading here in BKI T1, from the common-bulky one counter left right 2 window, to a rather simple 1 counter 2 window front-right and back-left. didn't physically count eventually may increase how many officer/window. but visually is improving. 

Understand it is fairly common for foreign passport holders to queue for an hour or more to clear immigration at KUL T1 and T2. Believe this issue is not new and some how MAHB is ignoring the issue for reasons.

If one look at floor plan, MAHB could double T2 inbound immigration area. Of course, it will need extensive moving, renovation and reduce arrival duty free floor area. As for T1, there is void between MTB and CP that could be built to accommodate extension.

For those who have not read the original complaint from Airasia:

"The problem is caused by the poor design and flawed configuration of klia2. We have raised this issue with MAHB and were given an assurance that adjustments would be made to extend immigration clearance into the area presently occupied by the duty-free outlets. However, up to now we have not seen anything done to address the problem and congestion has worsened daily, with some passengers having to endure long queues that stretch all the way back to the disembarkation gates," said Riad and Benyamin.

"The Immigration Department has been very understanding and helpful, ensuring all counters are opened during peak periods. Aside from that, there's nothing much further they can do as the floor space and configuration at klia2, including the ability to add more counters and extend the queuing area falls under MAHB’s responsibility.

"As a regulator and aviation consumer protection body, the Malaysian Aviation Commission (Mavcom) must step in to ensure this issue is quickly resolved."

https://newsroom.airasia.com/news/2019/10/17/airasia-urges-malaysia-airports-to-address-worsening-klia2-immigration-congestion

1 hour ago, flee said:

For those who have not read the original complaint from Airasia:

"The problem is caused by the poor design and flawed configuration of klia2. We have raised this issue with MAHB and were given an assurance that adjustments would be made to extend immigration clearance into the area presently occupied by the duty-free outlets. However, up to now we have not seen anything done to address the problem and congestion has worsened daily, with some passengers having to endure long queues that stretch all the way back to the disembarkation gates," said Riad and Benyamin.

"The Immigration Department has been very understanding and helpful, ensuring all counters are opened during peak periods. Aside from that, there's nothing much further they can do as the floor space and configuration at klia2, including the ability to add more counters and extend the queuing area falls under MAHB’s responsibility.

"As a regulator and aviation consumer protection body, the Malaysian Aviation Commission (Mavcom) must step in to ensure this issue is quickly resolved."

https://newsroom.airasia.com/news/2019/10/17/airasia-urges-malaysia-airports-to-address-worsening-klia2-immigration-congestion

I still do not see how it is MAVCOM's responsibility to make MAHB clear the duty free for immigration (I am aware it's a problem whether in T1/T2, but I don't know if MAVCOM is the right agency for it). I understand MAVCOM is to protect the consumer but how are the consumer rights affected from long immigration queues. It happens everywhere (even in uber efficient SIN, my family member waited over an hour to clear immigration there). I've seen queues at SFO/JFK recently where it's backed up all the way to the gates and let's not even talk about BKK /LHR- if it's bad, it can take 1-2 hours. If you arrived last in an arrival bank, then you are a SOL.

2 hours ago, Craig said:

I still do not see how it is MAVCOM's responsibility to make MAHB clear the duty free for immigration (I am aware it's a problem whether in T1/T2, but I don't know if MAVCOM is the right agency for it). I understand MAVCOM is to protect the consumer but how are the consumer rights affected from long immigration queues. It happens everywhere (even in uber efficient SIN, my family member waited over an hour to clear immigration there). I've seen queues at SFO/JFK recently where it's backed up all the way to the gates and let's not even talk about BKK /LHR- if it's bad, it can take 1-2 hours. If you arrived last in an arrival bank, then you are a SOL.

It doesn't mean KUL shouldn't, need not or couldn't be improved or better.

Edited by KK Lee