MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

Mavcom has failed the aviation sector

CAAM will act in the best interest of aviation industry — Anthony Loke

PUTRAJAYA (Dec 13): Transport Minister Anthony Loke said the Civil Aviation Authority of Malaysia (CAAM) will be further empowered financially and through a wider scope of powers to act in the best interest of the aviation industry after it subsumes the Malaysian Aviation Commission (Mavcom).

“They will be given more power, we want to empower CAAM,” he told reporters today at the launch of the #JOMTEKSI initiative by TNG Digital Sdn Bhd, the operator of Touch’n Go eWallet.

The recent Cabinet decision to consolidate the functions under Mavcom — which regulates commercial and economic matters in the Malaysian aviation sector — and CAAM — which oversees technical issues in the sector — has sparked debate over the necessity of having an independent economic regulatory body to avoid a reversion back to the service quality back when the industry was served by Department of Civil Aviation (DCA), the predecessor of CAAM.

More:

https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/caam-will-act-best-interest-aviation-industry-—-anthony-loke

14 hours ago, flee said:

CAAM will act in the best interest of aviation industry — Anthony Loke

PUTRAJAYA (Dec 13): Transport Minister Anthony Loke said the Civil Aviation Authority of Malaysia (CAAM) will be further empowered financially and through a wider scope of powers to act in the best interest of the aviation industry after it subsumes the Malaysian Aviation Commission (Mavcom).

“They will be given more power, we want to empower CAAM,” he told reporters today at the launch of the #JOMTEKSI initiative by TNG Digital Sdn Bhd, the operator of Touch’n Go eWallet.

The recent Cabinet decision to consolidate the functions under Mavcom — which regulates commercial and economic matters in the Malaysian aviation sector — and CAAM — which oversees technical issues in the sector — has sparked debate over the necessity of having an independent economic regulatory body to avoid a reversion back to the service quality back when the industry was served by Department of Civil Aviation (DCA), the predecessor of CAAM.

More:

https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/caam-will-act-best-interest-aviation-industry-—-anthony-loke

To be competitive internationally, the country need to cut red tapes (hopefully not length wise).

Edited by KK Lee

A good example is the UK's Civil Aviation Authority - they are in charge of all matters civil aviation. They even had to set up an emergency airline to rescue the Thomas Cook pax after that company collapsed. It shows that you can have efficiency and effectiveness if the organisation is well run. And you don't need multiple organisations with highly paid chairmans and ceos who do nothing effective and just give excuses why things are not done!

Well thanks MAVCOM for the 2 decisions in my favor for the airport tax claim recently.  I sincerely hope that MoT's decision is right and really put the consumer interest in front.

It is like I can't just go to IJN now, but have to take a number at HKL and wait for my turn to have my case "transfer" to IJN.

On 12/13/2019 at 8:23 PM, flee said:

E-hailing and aviation are different industries - aviation has all the rules and regulations already in place. MoT were merely catching up with e-hailing because there were no proper rules and regulations for that industry.

It's not the rules that's the problem. It's the implementation.

I honestly doubt that they would be able to do the same as the UK CAA.

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

23 hours ago, Mohd Suhaimi Fariz said:

I honestly doubt that they would be able to do the same as the UK CAA.

Yes, that is a problem the Malaysian civil service has to overcome - public perception of their capabilities is very low.

However, with everything under one roof, one can hope to see some improvement.

Mavcom fails Malaysian consumers — Fomca

APRIL 17 — Airlines operating in Malaysia have indicated that approximately 13.6 million seats have been cancelled, which literally means that hundreds of millions of hard-earned consumers ringgit have been stuck with the airlines.

By right, these fares need to be refunded immediately after the flights were cancelled. That is the right of consumers.

More: https://www.malaymail.com/news/what-you-think/2020/04/17/mavcom-fails-malaysian-consumers-fomca/1857652