MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Craig

Vietnam Airlines HBO/Basic Fares to/from BKK/KUL/SIN/CGK

I was looking at VN-MY flights and it appears that VN has introduced "Economy Super Lite" fares (booking class: G/P) for flights between VN and KUL, CGK, SIN, and BKK since 20 May 2019.

If you accidentally bought a HBO (hand-baggage only) fare, the cost to check-in a bag is pretty exorbitant:

0-5kg: USD $20

5-10kg: USD $40

The up fare from Basic/Super Lite fare to one that includes baggage is only USD $30.

Many legacy carriers have this kind of fare these days so that they can quote "low" fares in their advertising.

Many legacy carriers have this kind of fare these days so that they can quote "low" fares in their advertising.

Indeed. I recently discovered that even KLM is offering HBO fares - even for long haul flights!

I've tried pricing a KUL-AMS-NYC flight, and it's actually RM 1K lower than when I priced it earlier this year with baggage.

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

Well it screws up search engines - I think they will need to refine their search algorithms sooner or later.

Indeed. I recently discovered that even KLM is offering HBO fares - even for long haul flights!

I've tried pricing a KUL-AMS-NYC flight, and it's actually RM 1K lower than when I priced it earlier this year with baggage.

You are right! I didn't know a legacy European carrier would actually do that on long-haul flight to Asia!

Sign in to follow this