MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Mohd Azizul Ramli

Firefly's Rebranding: ASEAN's First Ultra Low Cost Carrier for Millennials

Under the group’s plan, Malaysia Airlines will remain a premium full-service carrier while FlyFirefly Sdn Bhd will be transformed into “Asean’s first ultra low-cost carrier focusing on millennials”, the person says, requesting anonymity.

https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/newsbreak-khazanah-pumps-rm500-million-malaysia-airlines-even-takeover-talk-grows

This seems very ambitious.

But what is "Ultra Low Cost"? AK is the airline with the lowest operating cost in the world.

And why Millennials? What about Xennials and Baby Boomers and Generation Z?

Just a couple of weeks back, Wow Air and Joon went bust. Interestingly, Wow Air is an "ultra low cost" carrier and Joon "is aimed at young people. It intended to serve destinations with heavy competition from LCCs."

How about the fleet? Are we going to see the return of "Firefly Jet"? Are they going to get some aircraft from MH? Are they going to be based at KLIA or klia2?

MH is late in this mainline-LCC jet gameplan, with a false start with Firefly Jet some more.

SQ has had Scoot since 2011. TG has had Thai Smile since 2011. Garuda has had Citilink since 2001.

I hope they know what they are getting themselves into.

Under the groups plan, Malaysia Airlines will remain a premium full-service carrier while FlyFirefly Sdn Bhd will be transformed into Aseans first ultra low-cost carrier focusing on millennials, the person says, requesting anonymity.

https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/newsbreak-khazanah-pumps-rm500-million-malaysia-airlines-even-takeover-talk-grows

This seems very ambitious.

But what is "Ultra Low Cost"? AK is the airline with the lowest operating cost in the world.

And why Millennials? What about Xennials and Baby Boomers and Generation Z?

Just a couple of weeks back, Wow Air and Joon went bust. Interestingly, Wow Air is an "ultra low cost" carrier and Joon "is aimed at young people. It intended to serve destinations with heavy competition from LCCs."

How about the fleet? Are we going to see the return of "Firefly Jet"? Are they going to get some aircraft from MH? Are they going to be based at KLIA or klia2?

MH is late in this mainline-LCC jet gameplan, with a false start with Firefly Jet some more.

SQ has had Scoot since 2011. TG has had Thai Smile since 2011. Garuda has had Citilink since 2001.

I hope they know what they are getting themselves into.

Likely Firefly is not part of mh m&a package/discussion. As Firefly couldn't compete directly with mh and the gomen don't want to close it, hence new tagline. Unless there is a complete change of top three levels of management, doubt it could reach ak cost level.

Likely Firefly is not part of mh m&a package/discussion. As Firefly couldn't compete directly with mh and the gomen don't want to close it, hence new tagline. Unless there is a complete change of top three levels of management, doubt it could reach ak cost level.

This is just a rumour - the group that wanted to take a minority interest in MAG did not even confirm such plans. We wait and see what will come of this or if it is just hot air.

This is just a rumour - the group that wanted to take a minority interest in MAG did not even confirm such plans. We wait and see what will come of this or if it is just hot air.

From rumours mill, they are interested in mab, not sidekicks. Politically and practically, they could only take minority shares but will have management control. Last I heard, negotiation is on going.

Edited by KK Lee

I actually love the idea of MH being premium and FY as LCC/ULCC. Premium carrier having subsidiary of LCC is uprising practices in this century as premium quite struggling nowdays. Latest news I heard is Air Astana introduced FlyArystan as their new LCC.

I do think FY needs to be repurposed and rebranded as it is not doing well the past few years. Its business shrank instead of expand. So both MH and FY will need a new strategic plan - something that was not evident since privatisation.

Edited by flee

This.

All these weird groups come forward wanting to buy. Where are they getting the money?

Hope the government is smart enough to sell MAS to the right companies ie other global players.

This.

All these weird groups come forward wanting to buy. Where are they getting the money?

Hope the government is smart enough to sell MAS to the right companies ie other global players.

Some of local companies are more interested in gomen grants/subsidy.

I find it rather amusing that firefly wants to focus on 'millenials'. Geeee, perhaps they should talk to air France first and ask how they went with that idea

Edited by Anthony Koo

I find it rather amusing that firefly wants to focus on 'millenials'. Geeee, perhaps they should talk to air France first and ask how they went with that idea

For the record, Firefly never said any of that.

Sign in to follow this