MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Ja Singh

KLIA improvements

Worse still, my friend working with MH engineering they couldn't locate aircraft for refilling fuel or fix minor wear and tear or park arriving aircraft cause the previous arriving airaxft is still there!! They need to pull the aircraft again to other empty bay. Total chaos on ground....they go round and round to look for their aircraft.

With so much IT talent in Malaysia, what is MAHB currently doing though....

Worse still, my friend working with MH engineering they couldn't locate aircraft for refilling fuel or fix minor wear and tear or park arriving aircraft cause the previous arriving airaxft is still there!! They need to pull the aircraft again to other empty bay. Total chaos on ground....they go round and round to look for their aircraft.

With so much IT talent in Malaysia, what is MAHB currently doing though....

Oh dear - so the pax have it easy. Poor ground crew got no one to assist them!

My flight from Penang to KUL was delayed for more than an hour and the captain of the flight made a rather long announcement on the mess in KLIA. He kept saying, "What to do" "What to do" a few times telling us to expect delays in locating our luggage, and the fact that we may have to park at remote bays, and apologising that some passengers might miss their connecting flights ....

Dear YM Raja Azmi and members of CCMT,

INCIDENT REPORT NO.3

Airport: KUL (KLIA)

Occurrence Date, Time: 22 August 2019, 0200 hrs

Accident/Incident: KLIA TAMS Network Outage*

Summary of Incident

ITD reported major intermittent connection of TAMS network (total failure of secondary Core Switch 102 that was activated at 1700hrs) at 2015hrs, 21 August 2019 after primary Core Switch 101 experiencing intermittent connections due self re-boot from 1420 hrs since incident reported).

Core Switch 101 was reactivated at 0200hrs (which is still undergoing trouble-shooting)when attempts to stablise Core Switch 102 connectivity since 2000 hrs.

KLIA War Room has been activated at AMC at 0500 hrs. MA Sepang has since activated operational contigencies since the incindent occured.

At 1145 hrs, the Board has appointed Pn Jamilah DatoHashim to chair the Crisis Meeting at KLIA War Room.

It has reported at 1400 hrs that klia2 is also experiencing IT disruption for the following systems: FIDS & BIDS, GAS, Info Broker, FDPS, Ground Surveillance Radar, SAP, OIS.

Status of Action as at 1830, 22 August 2019:

Recovery of Operations

1. (Stategy B from previous update) ITD is activating 1 unit replica switch from CISCO to immediately swap with faulty unit- expected connection recovery at 1900 hrs, this does not require configuration.

2. Status of KLIA: All affected systems will be down during the replacement.

3. Status of klia2: Affected systems currently is FIMA, GAS, FDPS (West Tower)

Activation of Contingencies

1. Activated contingencies is ongoing as stated in previous status update.

Crisis Communications

1. Next media release will be targeted to be released at 2000 hrs

2. Social media updates are providing continuous updates since the first media release.

3. Corp comm is monitoring negative reporting have been observed from socialmedia and media front.

Impact on MAHB Staff

1. Total manpower on ground to manage terminal situation at klia2 is 339 staff (operations on shift, special teams and volunteers) is as follows:

CEM- 50

TSD-15

FOC-12

Volunteers-17

PBB-33

AVSEC-212

Total=339

2. Total manpower on ground to manage terminal situation at KLIA is 611 staff (operations on shift, special teams and volunteers) is as follows:

CEM- 54

TSD-17

FOC-22

Volunteers-195

PBB-29

AVSEC-294

Total=611

3. MA Sepang Admin are providing food for all staff who are on duty.

Impact on Airlines/ Flights

1. All Airlines at KLIA are impacted especially MH

2. MH has declared Code Amber (Crisis) and deployed additional manpower to support operations

3. Airlines have activated manual flight planning and manual fallback check-in procedure.

4. 68 delayed flights have been reported due to the compounding effects of the critical operational systems being down.

Impact on Passengers

1. Terminal congestion has build up due to activation of fallback procedures, slower processing of pax.

2. Late arrivals by passengers at gate are reported, but difficulty to track as info must be done on ground.

3. There is very few cases of misflights by pax but reaccomodated to next flight.

4. MA Sepang has deployed refreshments (1000 buns and 2000 mineral water) to subdue queing passengers.

Impact to Airport Accesssibility/ Kerbside

Traffic management is within normal and no congestion has been observed.

M'sia Airports: Disruption at KLIA due to network failure, equipment replaced

from: https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2019/08/23/m039sia-airports-disruption-at-klia-due-to-network-failure-equipment-replaced#PPzqeeJVkaC5hSQr.99

Raja Azmi said KLIA's main terminal was still experiencing some delays but the situation was improving. He said systems at KLIA2 were generally not affected at present.

(highlight is mine :) )

That goes a long way in figuring out the absence of bile and brimstone so far from the red one at KLIA2 over this particular episode :D

Impact on Passengers
4. MA Sepang has deployed refreshments (1000 buns and 2000 mineral water) to subdue queing passengers.

This caught my attention - buns and (mineral) water to "subdue" pax

Likely a measure issued from "KLIA War Room" ?! :D

Dear YM Raja Azmi and members of CCMT,

INCIDENT REPORT NO.3

Airport: KUL (KLIA)

Occurrence Date, Time: 22 August 2019, 0200 hrs

Accident/Incident: KLIA TAMS Network Outage*

Summary of Incident

ITD reported major intermittent connection of TAMS network (total failure of secondary Core Switch 102 that was activated at 1700hrs) at 2015hrs, 21 August 2019 after primary Core Switch 101 experiencing intermittent connections due self re-boot from 1420 hrs since incident reported).

Core Switch 101 was reactivated at 0200hrs (which is still undergoing trouble-shooting)when attempts to stablise Core Switch 102 connectivity since 2000 hrs.

KLIA War Room has been activated at AMC at 0500 hrs. MA Sepang has since activated operational contigencies since the incindent occured.

At 1145 hrs, the Board has appointed Pn Jamilah DatoHashim to chair the Crisis Meeting at KLIA War Room.

It has reported at 1400 hrs that klia2 is also experiencing IT disruption for the following systems: FIDS & BIDS, GAS, Info Broker, FDPS, Ground Surveillance Radar, SAP, OIS.

Status of Action as at 1830, 22 August 2019:

Recovery of Operations

1. (Stategy B from previous update) ITD is activating 1 unit replica switch from CISCO to immediately swap with faulty unit- expected connection recovery at 1900 hrs, this does not require configuration.

2. Status of KLIA: All affected systems will be down during the replacement.

3. Status of klia2: Affected systems currently is FIMA, GAS, FDPS (West Tower)

21st August

1420 hrs primary Core Switch 101 experiencing intermittent connections due self re-boot

1700 hrs secondary Core Switch 102 was activated

2000 hrs attempts to stablise Core Switch 102 connectivity

2015 hrs total failure of secondary Core Switch 102

22nd August

0200 hrs Core Switch 101 was reactivated.

0500 hrs KLIA War Room was activated.

1145 hrs, the Board has appointed Pn Jamilah DatoHashim to chair the Crisis Meeting at KLIA War Room.

It seems core switch 102 was not on real time backup, hasn't been online for a long time or under maintenance. For critical system like in banks should have 3 systems.

From delay in appointing a senior manager at war room mean mahb never consider the possibility of this type of interruption.

Edited by KK Lee

It seems core switch 102 was not on real time backup, hasn't been online for a long time or under maintenance. For critical system like in banks should have 3 systems.

From delay in appointing a senior manager at war room mean mahb never consider the possibility of this type of interruption.

It sounds like it is more than a core switch problem and it is sounding more and more like sabotage. It also appears that MAHB does not have a disaster recovery plan and that is one of the reasons why the systems are still down and they are still unable to tell us what actually failed. If you cannot identify the cause, how can you fix it?

My shiny behind KLIA2 was not affected.

Lucky you!

I just read online today one of the flight to SIN was operated with A333 9M-MTC, with fresh pilot but cabin crew was from KIX-KUL rotation which arrived into KUL earlier. Is this true? One of the flight into BKI today was operated by an A333 too.

I just read online today one of the flight to SIN was operated with A333 9M-MTC, with fresh pilot but cabin crew was from KIX-KUL rotation which arrived into KUL earlier. Is this true? One of the flight into BKI today was operated by an A333 too.

MH 613/616 have been operated by a 332/333 for the past few months and my understanding from the crew is that they usually use the crew from KIX who get a break at KUL before doing the return trip to Singapore

It seems immigration autogates are still offline.

WiFi at mh lounge is unavailable.

Edited by KK Lee

RPK's musing on the whole issue. Maybe he does have a point, although TBH I'd rather have Syed Mokhtar take over other airports like PEN/BKI rather than KUL. Let others take care of the smaller airports & let MAHB focus on KUL & SZB, a la Changi Airport Group.

Maybe then you will get the airport you think you deserve?

https://www.facebook.com/RajaPetraKamarudin/photos/a.495422416093/10156675125386094/

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

RPK's musing on the whole issue. Maybe he does have a point, although TBH I'd rather have Syed Mokhtar take over other airports like PEN/BKI rather than KUL. Let others take care of the smaller airports & let MAHB focus on KUL & SZB, a la Changi Airport Group.

Maybe then you will get the airport you think you deserve?

https://www.facebook.com/RajaPetraKamarudin/photos/a.495422416093/10156675125386094/

Mahb shouldn't be allowed to operate retail shops, eateries and hotel; mandate all prices is either same or cheaper than downtown KL.

Then prepare to pay more in PSC.

Not necessary, mahb still has rental/concession income. By removing monopoly/rent seeking mentality, operations will be more efficient and consumers friendly.

Mahb is mandated to operate airport not retailer, eatery and hotel, should focus on airport operation only. Successful mall owner/management e.g klcc, pavilion, etc don't and don't need to own or operate retail, eatery outlets.

Edited by KK Lee

Mahb shouldn't be allowed to operate retail shops, eateries and hotel; mandate all prices is either same or cheaper than downtown KL.

I am quite curious with Changi's claim that items sold at Changi is even cheaper than in town. Is it true?

I am quite curious with Changi's claim that items sold at Changi is even cheaper than in town. Is it true?

Changi airside has no GST to begin with.

In terms of duty free, KLIA should bring in more competitive players apart from The Zon and Eraman. As a reference, at Changi Airport Duty Free the liquor and tobacco segment is currently hold by DFS Singapore and Shilla Travel Retail. However DFS recently decided not to extend their concession agreement, and Changi Airport Group launched a new tender to avoid single player dominating. DFS has been operating the whole duty free concession (both perfumes & cosmetic and liquor & tobacco) for past 40 years (including perfumes), before they lost out to Shilla Travel Retail in 2014 for cosmetic and perfumes concession. Shilla brought new shopping experiences for passengers passing through or arriving at Changi, which no doubt contributed to Changi's winning streak for World's Best Airport.

As far as I know the food court business at KLIA and KLIA2 are now hold by Quizinn, no?

MH 613/616 have been operated by a 332/333 for the past few months and my understanding from the crew is that they usually use the crew from KIX who get a break at KUL before doing the return trip to Singapore

Thanks for the information. I didn't realise this previously. Will they run the risk running of flight hours if there is any delay?

Sign in to follow this