MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Ja Singh

KLIA improvements

I'm glad that you agree that airport charges remain a huge contributor towards how an airport can be.

Lets just look at a simple comparison between KUL and SIN in terms of what they collect (purely from airport tax, and not commercial revenue):

Airport Tax (PSC)

SIN

Airport Development Levy SGD10.80

Passenger Service Charge SGD32.90

Avg per pax = SGD43.70

= ~RM130

KUL

Passenger Service Charge

Domestic (~27%) = RM11

ASEAN (~35%)= RM35

International (ex-ASEAN) (~38%) = RM73

Blended Avg per pax = RM43

Its a very, very simplistic way of looking at the situation, but Changi literally collects three times more money per pax than KLIA. Not to mention that they have slightly more pax anyway.

Again, I am unwilling to actually debate in all the conversation here because mostly I end up just smiling at the comments, but the above is a very easy way to understand how different the contexts are.

The airport fan in me always wants KLIA to have its own waterfall and dome and whatnot and be the most bombastic airport out there.

While the airport professional in me can only smile while reading comments on MW :)

Nobody here really asked for a waterfall for klia tho.but just top notch basic facilities like toilets usb ports on chairs and likes.

From skytrax survey

we are 45 in the world.Surely not all 44 airports have higher psc then klia right.

From now onwards i gonna also smile only cause i realise thats the best we can do as far as klia is concerned.

Edited by Ja Singh

LHR is probably an excellent example because it has to keep reinventing itself in view of the many many challenges it faced. They just faced them and solved the many and varied problems rather than just give excuses. As many here have said (about KLIA), the charges are not entirely in its control as there is government intervention in determining its quantum.

Contrary to your interpretation of my stand, I am not averse to paying higher airport charges. I am more a value for money person - I will pay if I can see the quality and the value of the product.

I do use Changi (and therefore pay their charges) and only really care about their user friendliness. For me, quick and efficient passenger processing, comfortable waiting areas and fuss free CIQ is worth more than any jewel or swimming pool at an airport.

Coming back to KLIA, there is no harm in aspiring to be a premier airport in Malaysia. Since the other airports are of insufficient standard to achieve this, KLIA is the best candidate. The thing about KLIA is that it started on a high and has been going downhill since. What is wrong with arresting that trend and try to get back to that high again? Admitting defeat even before trying to fix the problems is so pathetic!

Totally agree with flee that KLIA cannot afford to be backward just because they do not attract the premium market AND one has to stay competitive in order to survive especially when BKK and SIN are not far away ahead from KUL numbers. Also CGK and MNL could soon overtake KUL in the preferred airport in the region after SIN and BKK. Bear in mind that KUL does not only need to target full service carriers but also the low cost carriers where they have an equal amount of share at present at KUL.

If KUL does not aspire to become something big, it will be a shame as they could do so much more than they are at the moment. I am of the impression that MAHB is very content with its' efforts and thinks that is the end of it as opposed to striving more continuously. Look at SIN, they are just an island and have so little resources but they come up with creative ideas and dream big in order to survive. Actually, they have to and they have achieved so much, why not KUL also think big and make continuous improvements to stay ahead of its competitors? No, they don't think that far, look at the mess they made with Terminal 2 or better known as KLIA2. Constantly repairing the damage they themselves created at the expense of the tax payers and passengers. It is the "tidak apa" attitude that brings KUL down where it is today although skytrax is not the most reliable survey platform. If you read through the news article on KUL's downgrading in airport ranking, you will notice that there is a response from MAHB on the poor ranking, giving reasons for that. "Excuses" is more like it since they don't see it as a way forward to improve their offering by charging the passengers more in taxes. Just my thoughts.

Totally agree with flee that KLIA cannot afford to be backward just because they do not attract the premium market AND one has to stay competitive in order to survive especially when BKK and SIN are not far away ahead from KUL numbers. Also CGK and MNL could soon overtake KUL in the preferred airport in the region after SIN and BKK.

Do you honestly think airlines decide where to fly based on the number of USB ports an airport has? Or how high they rank on some ranking by an organisation that is taken seriously by precisely zero serious travellers? The "preferred" airport (whatever that means) is where the money is. BKK and SIN aren't busier or more "preferred" because they have nicer toilets, but because they have bigger markets. BKK can have a chowshed terminal and it'd still be well ahead of KUL in terms of passenger numbers.

Bear in mind that KUL does not only need to target full service carriers but also the low cost carriers where they have an equal amount of share at present at KUL.

You mean give in to LCC demands to build yet another crappy LCCT to minimise costs?

Want to stop the "excuses" and make a change? You can always play your part by flying more often to make our aviation market that much bigger.

I'm glad that you agree that airport charges remain a huge contributor towards how an airport can be.

Lets just look at a simple comparison between KUL and SIN in terms of what they collect (purely from airport tax, and not commercial revenue):

Airport Tax (PSC)

SIN

Airport Development Levy SGD10.80

Passenger Service Charge SGD32.90

Avg per pax = SGD43.70

= ~RM130

KUL

Passenger Service Charge

Domestic (~27%) = RM11

ASEAN (~35%)= RM35

International (ex-ASEAN) (~38%) = RM73

Blended Avg per pax = RM43

Its a very, very simplistic way of looking at the situation, but Changi literally collects three times more money per pax than KLIA. Not to mention that they have slightly more pax anyway.

Again, I am unwilling to actually debate in all the conversation here because mostly I end up just smiling at the comments, but the above is a very easy way to understand how different the contexts are.

Mahb expenses is is myr not sgd. Why needs to use myr/sgd exchange rate not ppp (purchasing power parity)? Mh used to use myr/sgd to compare with sq in justifying it's bloated number of number of employees/labour cost, and we all know where mh ended up.

For reasons why myr has been dropping against usd, sgd, CNY, jpy, etc in the last 30 years.

Edited by KK Lee

Do you honestly think airlines decide where to fly based on the number of USB ports an airport has? Or how high they rank on some ranking by an organisation that is taken seriously by precisely zero serious travellers? The "preferred" airport (whatever that means) is where the money is. BKK and SIN aren't busier or more "preferred" because they have nicer toilets, but because they have bigger markets. BKK can have a chowshed terminal and it'd still be well ahead of KUL in terms of passenger numbers.

*like*

The same case with AirAsia X. They are growing where the bigger market is....Bangkok! Especially from markets like Japan, Korea, China or maybe someday Europe.

*like*

The same case with AirAsia X. They are growing where the bigger market is....Bangkok! Especially from markets like Japan, Korea, China or maybe someday Europe.

Comparing dxb, ahu and doh; proximity is not a growth obstacle, airport play a role/contribute to traffic growth. If dxb is a cowshed, could ek be like today?

Comparing dxb, ahu and doh; proximity is not a growth obstacle, airport play a role/contribute to traffic growth. If dxb is a cowshed, could ek be like today?

You can not compare transit hubs like DOH or AUH with a city like Bangkok which is the most visited city all around the world.

Could EK/EY/QR be like today if they were not owned and heavily subsidised by oil-rich governments that are awash with cash?

Could EK/EY/QR be like today if they were not owned and heavily subsidised by oil-rich governments that are awash with cash?

Mab received similar if not more subsidy from our gomen and still couldn't break even.

Mab received similar if not more subsidy from our gomen and still couldn't break even.

If you think the ME3 are truly for-profit businesses then I've got a bridge to sell you.

If you think the ME3 are truly for-profit businesses then I've got a bridge to sell you.

Arabs royalty/sovereign wealth management is shrewd and return is higher than khazanah. If me3 is not making profit, dropped in oil price would have revealed.

Edited by KK Lee

Arabs royalty/sovereign wealth management is shrewd and return is higher than khazanah. If me3 is not making profit, dropped in oil price would have revealed.

Indeed. Just look at EY. EK meanwhile is cancelling plane orders left & right.

Shrewd.

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

Mahb expenses is is myr not sgd. Why needs to use myr/sgd exchange rate not ppp (purchasing power parity)? Mh used to use myr/sgd to compare with sq in justifying it's bloated number of number of employees/labour cost, and we all know where mh ended up.

For reasons why myr has been dropping against usd, sgd, CNY, jpy, etc in the last 30 years.

1. I already said it was a simplistic comparison

2. Even if you wanted to start a debate on PPP (wow, so technical), are you telling me SGD43 and RM43 goes the same way?

3. Would an aerotrain or BHS system cost different in SG or MY? Come on bro what the...

1. I already said it was a simplistic comparison

2. Even if you wanted to start a debate on PPP (wow, so technical), are you telling me SGD43 and RM43 goes the same way?

3. Would an aerotrain or BHS system cost different in SG or MY? Come on bro what the...

How much aerotrain and bhs system constitutes airport capex? How much of mahb opex are in myr?

You were the one started converting sgd to myr.

How much aerotrain and bhs system constitutes airport capex? How much of mahb opex are in myr?

You were the one started converting sgd to myr.

Well, for CAPEX, actually a big chunk. Not only that, considering how specialized airport equipment are, mostly will be based on foreign currency.

Look, my point is simple: Changi earns more and thus is able to spend more. Hence why I used MYR as a base. Is this even an argument?

Again, this is a simple comparison with hundreds of other factors to consider. I already stated this upfront yet you want to nitpick on it.

Is Changi the gold standard in the airport industry? Yes

Can KLIA be better? Definitely yes

Is KLIA and Changi a fair comparison? No. The contexts are just too different.

Well, airport taxes are only a small part of MAHB's revenue.

For those who want to examine the revenue streams of MAHB, please take a look at Pg 73 of their 2018 Annual Report:

http://disclosure.bursamalaysia.com/FileAccess/apbursaweb/download?id=192242&name=EA_DS_ATTACHMENTS

I don't have Changi's numbers but you can bet that PSC is also a small component of their numbers... Sorry but what are you trying to point out?

I don't have Changi's numbers but you can bet that PSC is also a small component of their numbers... Sorry but what are you trying to point out?

Changi's main revenue comes from retail.

And many here complain about klia2's shopping mall...

My point is that airport tax is only a small proportion of MAHB's total revenue - you were using it as if the airport tax levied should be an indicator of airport quality of service.

Changi's main revenue comes from retail.

And many here complain about klia2's shopping mall...

I think that the complaint is not about the shopping mall but being forced to walk through it before arriving at the check in counters. E.g. Changi T2 shopping mall is in the basement - you have to make a conscious effort to go there and not just pass by on the way to check in. klia2's shopping mall could be better located! Edited by flee

Some input from MAVCOM on integrated terminals, explaining why the decline in KUL traffic last year. Interesting comparison and explanation of reasons for the development of the airport. Of course it does not discuss the finer things like customer services etc but its a start with the new gomen conducting studies on the growth of KUL in view of intense competition from SIN and BKK. Also worth knowing that they use the terms T1 and T2 in reference to KLIA and KLIA2 :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

https://www.mavcom.my/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/190417-Benefits-of-Integrated-Terminals-.pdf

Some input from MAVCOM on integrated terminals, explaining why the decline in KUL traffic last year. Interesting comparison and explanation of reasons for the development of the airport. Of course it does not discuss the finer things like customer services etc but its a start with the new gomen conducting studies on the growth of KUL in view of intense competition from SIN and BKK. Also worth knowing that they use the terms T1 and T2 in reference to KLIA and KLIA2 :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

https://www.mavcom.my/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/190417-Benefits-of-Integrated-Terminals-.pdf

Lol they really compare KUL with BKI? :search:

And where are 3 Terminals in BKK? I only know one!

And the "lower hub connectivity" from KUL against SIN is because of SQ in SIN and not the regional airline MAB in KUL!

:drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

MAVCOM is a redundant body set up to provide employment for the previous BN government's cronies. They are a bunch of amateurs. They should be disbanded and all aviation matters should revert to CAAM.

MAVCOM is a redundant body set up to provide employment for the previous BN government's cronies. They are a bunch of amateurs. They should be disbanded and all aviation matters should revert to CAAM.

+1

My point is that airport tax is only a small proportion of MAHB's total revenue - you were using it as if the airport tax levied should be an indicator of airport quality of service.

I think that the complaint is not about the shopping mall but being forced to walk through it before arriving at the check in counters. E.g. Changi T2 shopping mall is in the basement - you have to make a conscious effort to go there and not just pass by on the way to check in. klia2's shopping mall could be better located!

I've walked up and down the shopping mall with luggage. I honestly don't see what the big fuss is about. Again, as I've said a million times before, it's not like you have to walk the length of Midvalley or One Utama.

No it's not. CAAM should focus solely on maintaining air safety, and MAVCOM should be focusing on promoting aviation commerce.

In fact, if the US does the same, they could have avoided the MAX fiasco since the FAA's dual mandate of promoting aviation commerce & maintaining air safety is a conflict of interest.

I've walked up and down the shopping mall with luggage. I honestly don't see what the big fuss is about. Again, as I've said a million times before, it's not like you have to walk the length of Midvalley or One Utama.

No it's not. CAAM should focus solely on maintaining air safety, and MAVCOM should be focusing on promoting aviation commerce.

In fact, if the US does the same, they could have avoided the MAX fiasco since the FAA's dual mandate of promoting aviation commerce & maintaining air safety is a conflict of interest.

Its being forced fed a shopping mall before check in that most people dislike. Why can't it be like klia or the old LCCT, where u don't need to go through a mall with multiple level changes?

Malaysian aviation has managed safety without MAVCOM. All it needs is for those involved to do their jobs diligently. You know what they say about having too many cooks.

Max crashes took place in Indonesian and Ethiopian jurisdictions. Does FAA oversee them? MAVCOM will be up in arms if the FAA interfered with Malaysian aviation!

Edited by flee

Sign in to follow this