MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Ja Singh

MH 737 max 8 poll

cancel max 8 order  

54 members have voted

1. 1. should MH switch its order to A320 neo

• maintain current frame order of Max
    • convert current max frames to 787/777/797 & switch to n/b order to A320neo

As U.S. government test pilots ran through dozens of flight scenarios on the Boeing Co. 737 Max in recent weeks, a potential failure got their attention.

The planes flight computer tried to push the aircrafts nose down repeatedly during a simulator run, prompted by a stream of erroneous flight data. The Federal Aviation Administration pilot concluded commercial pilots might not have time to react and avoid a tragedy in a real plane.

That flaw -- the latest discovered on the family of jets involved in two fatal crashes since October triggered by a different failure that pushed their noses down -- was revealed by FAA last month. It threw new uncertainty on the return to flight of the Chicago-based companys best-selling model and sent its engineers scrambling for a fix.

However, the newly discovered problem wasnt triggered by MCAS, said one of the people.

It was prompted instead by multiple erroneous data streams in a flight computer that occurred simultaneously, the person said. It was simulated in tests even though it has never been documented to have occurred during flight, the people said. Anticipating every possible outcome of even the most unlikely failures is part of how safety assessments are conducted during certification.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-07-27/latest-737-max-fault-that-alarmed-test-pilots-rooted-in-software?srnd=premium-asia

fly by wire may be is the solution to mitigate all these issues.

Edited by KK Lee

The Roots of Boeing’s 737 Max Crisis: A Regulator Relaxes Its Oversight

SEATTLE — In the days after the first crash of Boeing’s 737 Max, engineers at the Federal Aviation Administration came to a troubling realization: They didn’t fully understand the automated system that helped send the plane into a nose-dive, killing everyone on board.

Engineers at the agency scoured their files for information about the system designed to help avoid stalls. They didn’t find much. Regulators had never independently assessed the risks of the dangerous software known as MCAS when they approved the plane in 2017.

So the numbers of built up but undeliverable 737 Max's continue to mount :)

Very interested to understand legalities of process - are the customers obligated already to accept deliveries of completed airframes and hence who is responsible for the storage costs of all these very expensive but currently unproductive pieces of equipment ?

Down the road, when all these 737 Max's are eventually cleared safe to fly (assumption within notwithstanding) can we then expect a sudden big spike in available capacity in the overall airlines' inventory thereof ?

With (presumably) subsequent depression of yields ?

Possibly to nudge one or more of the borderline cases now over the edge into oblivion ..... ?

So the numbers of built up but undeliverable 737 Max's continue to mount :)

Very interested to understand legalities of process - are the customers obligated already to accept deliveries of completed airframes and hence who is responsible for the storage costs of all these very expensive but currently unproductive pieces of equipment ?

Down the road, when all these 737 Max's are eventually cleared safe to fly (assumption within notwithstanding) can we then expect a sudden big spike in available capacity in the overall airlines' inventory thereof ?

With (presumably) subsequent depression of yields ?

Possibly to nudge one or more of the borderline cases now over the edge into oblivion ..... ?

Believe aircraft manufacturer is paid on progress of work. Hence, Boeing could keep producing. For delay in delivery, boeing is likely need to pay limited compensation to airlines.

When 737 max is back to service mean many older aircrafts will go to storage.

From my limited understanding, manufacturers only get paid when they take deliveries of the planes.

AFAIK, the cost of the 737 Max currently being completed and stored is on Boeing themselves.

Boeing need to keep producing them as it is not easy to just totally stop production and to start it up again. There's supply chains, workers, tooling etc to be considered.

This is only my understanding so someone with better insights is more than welcomed to correct me or add to this.

On 9/23/2019 at 10:08 PM, RaymondT said:

From my limited understanding, manufacturers only get paid when they take deliveries of the planes.

AFAIK, the cost of the 737 Max currently being completed and stored is on Boeing themselves.

Boeing need to keep producing them as it is not easy to just totally stop production and to start it up again. There's supply chains, workers, tooling etc to be considered.

This is only my understanding so someone with better insights is more than welcomed to correct me or add to this.

They got paid advanced payments at set periods before the delivery i.e 48 months, 36 months, 24 months, 12 months, in total, typically around 20-30% of the aircraft price.

I don't suppose any of the Max 8 or Max 10 destined for MH would have made it to the production line yet ? :)

42 minutes ago, BC Tam said:

I don't suppose any of the Max 8 or Max 10 destined for MH would have made it to the production line yet ? :)

I think Boeing announced last week that some deliveries scheduled for 2020 will be delayed - MAB were expecting some 737-8s late next year and 737-10s in 2021. I don't think they are in production yet, even if based on the original delivery schedule. IIRC, Boeing did reduce their production rate from May this year and will only return to the previous production rates next year.

I am also not sure if the order is now under review or if Boeing is offering incentives for their customers not to cancel their orders.

From insiders information, it seems MAB is deferring the MAX deliveries until further notice. Coupled with the fact of ownership change in the works, I don't think fleet renewal is their priority at the moment. 

Yes, I think MAB is in limbo right now and we have to wait till the govt. and Khazanah make their announcements next year.

Sign in to follow this