MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Sharil Abdul Rahman

MAHB: KLIA to have planespotter deck for enthusiasts

.... years after shutting down that hilly place adjacent to 32R threshold...???

And how about addressing the elephant in the room? That rickety train connecting the two buildings ...

Is it going to be a raised platform? With shade? Multiple story? (so that those who need shade can be downstair and the kakis can be upstair) Located in a set up ala mini highway R&R for families? I just hope it is designed with plane spotters in mind technically, and not ended up being a bus stop or a "pondok durian" kinda structure.

Is it going to be a raised platform? With shade? Multiple story? (so that those who need shade can be downstair and the kakis can be upstair) Located in a set up ala mini highway R&R for families? I just hope it is designed with plane spotters in mind technically, and not ended up being a bus stop or a "pondok durian" kinda structure.

The structure will need spotters input to be successful.

Is this a joke???

Hello there are more pressing issues to deal with!

C67298-F4-30-EF-43-F1-88-FA-5-DB93-CF837

As if the issues can't be dealt with simultaneously.

Come on, the platform takes only ONE month to build. Do you really think that this is going to stop them from dealing with the other issues?

C67298-F4-30-EF-43-F1-88-FA-5-DB93-CF837

Is this the official rendering or a proposed design?

I do wonder where will this be. And will they create a parking area for people to park their cars?

Being elevated is great (no more ladders!). I agree with Azizul - there should be a functional ground floor. Even if it is just a place with tables and vending machines.

Unless MWings wants to open a mobile store selling drinks...

My thoughts:

Nice of MAHB to recognise that there are plane spotters in this country and visiting spotters from overseas. Much better than CAG who try their best to keep spotters out and frustrate their efforts to spot air side.

If the rendering is official, it shows a low cost and functional design - they should make sure that there is an area for parking and perhaps some space for food and vending trucks.

Is it too much to ask for toilets?

If MAHB wishes to attract foreign spotters, a shuttle bus service would be necessary.

Finally, it would be good if MAHB has a list of dos and don'ts printed on a big signboard!

Good examples to study are those observation decks at Perth and Sydney airports. Japanese airports are so spotter friendly and that is what MAHB should try to emulate in the long term and in future terminal designs.

So will the spotters need to go thru a big shopping area before reaching the viewing platform (with KLIA2 design in mind) ? :D

Maybe you 'Are-Kee-Teks" can help reconfigure entrance/access to the viewing platform ? I see sufficient space below said platform to accommodate durian, nasi lemak, roti canai, char kuey teow, ais kacang/cendol etc pedlars - so why not route visitors through them along the way :D

Maybe you 'Are-Kee-Teks" can help reconfigure entrance/access to the viewing platform ? I see sufficient space below said platform to accommodate durian, nasi lemak, roti canai, char kuey teow, ais kacang/cendol etc pedlars - so why not route visitors through them along the way :D

Perhaps an open air style 'shopping area' or 'pasar malam' something like that, a must-do for foreign visitors to KLIA :D

Perhaps an open air style 'shopping area' or 'pasar malam' something like that, a must-do for foreign visitors to KLIA :D

I wish to retract my "Not going to happen" remark above vis-à-vis "be promoted as a must-visit for those arriving at KLIA" quote :)

I wonder in the map, where is the exact location .

would it be 14L/32R, 14R/32L or 15/33 :rolleyes:

coffee shop for spotters? Maybe Air Asia can set up a drive through Santan airline fast food restaurant there

Good idea. :drinks:

It should be on 32L touchdown zone, opposite the MAS hanger 5-6.

I wonder in the map, where is the exact location .

would it be 14L/32R, 14R/32L or 15/33 :rolleyes:

I'd prefer Family Mart to AK. The best soft ice-cream EVER!

Went by Jalan Pekeliling, and ascertained the exact location of the planespotter deck:

zM4u4yT.jpg?1

Also here are some live construction views (which is without people as it was lunch time):

ZcmAd0r.jpg

I1ixIM8.jpg

I wonder if MAHB will be tarring the site next to the construction for parking, as it is lower than the street.

The canopy may be a good thing at this location, as it doesnt really obstruct views of planes landing.

Plus it is a good sun shield as well.

But yeah, we need maybe an Express Santan or Family Mart to open there. Express because the deck looks small.

Are they doing anything about the tiangs?

BM version: diberi betis, hendak paha .....

BE version: given an inch, want a mile .....

Where got people think of such things wan ..... ?! :D

Are they doing anything about the tiangs?

The lights or the fence?

From where i took the photo, the build-up is in between the lights, and forcasting the height of the deck, it should be above the tiang. Similar effect with climbing up a ladder on top of a pickup. It should also be just after the green building just in the perimeter.

Sign in to follow this