MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Muhammad Firdaus

Sarawak's own airline confirmed

If there is one area that the proposed airline company can explore is connecting traffic (i.e. hub and spoke model). I think we all aware that major hubs like SIN, DXB, DOH and HKG thrive on connecting traffic. Otherwise, there are no point airlines based in these hubs acquire hundreds of planes if not for transit passengers.

If there is one area that the proposed airline company can explore is connecting traffic (i.e. hub and spoke model). I think we all aware that major hubs like SIN, DXB, DOH and HKG thrive on connecting traffic. Otherwise, there are no point airlines based in these hubs acquire hundreds of planes if not for transit passengers.

A major problem for all Malaysian airports is that ground handling and passenger terminal handling is slow and not too efficient. In order to be a hub, you must be good with connections. An airline can only do so much - airport infrastructure and services is the other half of the equation.

SIN, DXB and HKG are significant markets in their own right. They might be major transit hubs but the majority of passengers are actually O&D. Changi and SQ, which are looked upon with envy and fascination by many here, would not have thrived if it weren't for Singapore's position as a major financial hub. Connecting traffic might sound lucrative but in reality it only supplements O&D traffic, where the real money is.

The idea that you can just build a huge airport in an insignificant city and grow a world-class airline that connects the world is nothing more than a fantasy. Unless, of course, you're DOH. But then again, QR's mission isn't to make money, to put it very mildly. They have the backing of the Qatari government and its very deep pockets to sustain such a business model. Does Sarawak have that luxury?

SIN, DXB and HKG are significant markets in their own right. They might be major transit hubs but the majority of passengers are actually O&D. Changi and SQ, which are looked upon with envy and fascination by many here, would not have thrived if it weren't for Singapore's position as a major financial hub. Connecting traffic might sound lucrative but in reality it only supplements O&D traffic, where the real money is.

The idea that you can just build a huge airport in an insignificant city and grow a world-class airline that connects the world is nothing more than a fantasy. Unless, of course, you're DOH. But then again, QR's mission isn't to make money, to put it very mildly. They have the backing of the Qatari government and its very deep pockets to sustain such a business model. Does Sarawak have that luxury?

Only if Sarawak has more oil royalty.

Mayor of Miri City Council Adam Yii supports the idea and describes the plan as apt in the desire to develop Sarawak’s tourism industry.

“I love to see Miri connected directly to Chengdu and Chongqing in China, Seoul and Pusan in Korea, Tokyo and Osaka in Japan, Taipei in Taiwan, Pontianak in Kalimantan (for the medical and educational potentials) as well as Sydney and Melbourne in Australia,” he said

:drinks: :db: :rofl:

Ridiculous as it may seems, he had a point there as a mayor as the second largest city in Sarawak.

And who say you need to have very deep pocket to create a successful airline. With creative and innovative idea and wise planning, it has been proven that you don't need to be an oil baron to succeed in this industry as proven by Sir TF.

Ridiculous as it may seems, he had a point there as a mayor as the second largest city in Sarawak.

And who say you need to have very deep pocket to create a successful airline. With creative and innovative idea and wise planning, it has been proven that you don't need to be an oil baron to succeed in this industry as proven by Sir TF.

Successful airlines need profitable routes. How many of these are there from KCH? A good, efficient and cost effective airport is also a prerequisite. Edited by flee

It can be done if Miri could offer better connection, say from Eastern China/Korea/Japan, to Australia/New Zealand. However you will be up against the proven BKI airport and then BWN.

It can be done if Miri could offer better connection, say from Eastern China/Korea/Japan, to Australia/New Zealand. However you will be up against the proven BKI airport and then BWN.

Yes, also bear in mind what the population is in East Malaysia.

A good, efficient and cost effective airport is also a prerequisite.

Is LHR or CDG a good, efficient, and cost effective airport?

Is LHR or CDG a good, efficient, and cost effective airport?

Not an apples to apples comparison.

These airports were established a long time ago and they have a big population base with high disposable income to tap from.

And as proven by Sir TF, KCH really isn't as big a deal as some people seem to think. You think AK won't jump at the opportunity to turn an airport into its hub if the potential was there?

And it'll be up against HKG/ICN/NRT/HND/PEK/PVG/XMN/CAN/TAO/HGH/NKG/XMN/TPE/BKK/SIN/KUL/SGN.

Not an apples to apples comparison.

These airports were established a long time ago and they have a big population base with high disposable income to tap from.

Do you mean to say there are other things besides a good, efficient, and cost effective airport that are pre-requisites for a route to be profitable?

Do you mean to say there are other things besides a good, efficient, and cost effective airport that are pre-requisites for a route to be profitable?

Nope, they were efficient and good in those days. That was why airlines can thrive at those airports. Edited by flee

I've been wondering, if the plan did take off, the first few hurdles would be to determine which airport is to be the main hub and its associated issues. I believe all major airports in Sarawak want to be the hub for this Sarawak Airlines. However, due to Sarawak's "continental size" with at least 4 major airports suitable as a hub (KCH, MYY, SBW and BTU) this could be a major challenge. Sarawak is after all, 172 times larger than Singapore by total land area. Then the next challenge is to choose the logo/tail livery - whether it is the hornbill, the sapeh or mee kolok. Cabin crew uniform is to be inspired from the couture dresses of Puteri Santubong. Idris Jala is confirmed as the CEO isn't he? I think the best business model is to follow those who operates in a country with "continental size + several major hubs" as well i.e. Air China, Air Canada, Qantas and the US3 (United, Delta and American Airlines).

I think the best business model is to follow those who operates in a country with "continental size + several major hubs" as well i.e. Air China, Air Canada, Qantas and the US3 (United, Delta and American Airlines).

Easy. MYY can be the TPAC gateway; SBW can focus on AU/NZ; BTU shall be the O&G hub (nonstops to YYC, IAH, GIG and the Middle East with conveniently timed connections to the oil rigs and KL Simpang airport for Petronas businessmen); MYY can be the island hopper hub, and KCH can focus on the super high yield flights to the financial centres of the world (HKG, HND/NRT, SIN, LHR, EWR/JFK etc) Edited by Chris Tan

Easy. MYY can be the TPAC gateway; SBW can focus on AU/NZ; BTU shall be the O&G hub (nonstops to YYC, IAH, GIG and the Middle East with conveniently timed connections to the oil rigs and KL Simpang airport for Petronas businessmen); MYY can be the island hopper hub, and KCH can focus on the super high yield flights to the financial centres of the world (HKG, HND/NRT, SIN, LHR, EWR/JFK etc)

MZV can be renovated to accommodate the A380 so that EK can fly here

..... the next challenge is to choose the logo/tail livery - whether it is the hornbill, the sapeh or mee kolok. ...

Thank you, that must have tickled up someone else too, somehow ! :)

It's good we're having a jolly time 'discussing' this potential Sarawak International Airlines (SIA v2.0) - remember though, if it does fly but cannot be sustained, for whatever reason, it will be all be just sia sia at end of day ..... :D

Seriously though, how many people actually believe this will take off for real ?

Even assuming the Sarawakian purse controller does relent to pouring good money into a likely bottomless pit, you still have the political and regulatory obstacles ahead

Which side of the fence is state gahmen sitting upon nowadays ?

I believe an AOC isn't something one is readily able to pick off the shelf either

Also bear in mind Sarawak state elections is coming up soon, hence there is the need to whip up the 'feel good' sentiments again - why change a tried and tested formula ?! :)

The government will be very careful this time issuing any regulatory approvals given the number of failures lately, i.e Rayani, Suasa, Silverfly and the rest of league. Having said that, the local airline industry is already saturated with 3 big players namely AK, MH and OD. All of them are growing at a different pace and will surely attempt to experiment new routes. Why need another one. Sarawak has a lot of other internal priorities to be worried about namely basic infrastructure within the rural areas. Having a state owned airline is surely an egoistic decision and will not make any economical sense at all. If you the state have got something good to offer, business travelers and tourist will find their own way there.

MZV can be renovated to accommodate the A380 so that EK can fly here

Epic dream till the max hahaha, if those politicial figure see this sure they will be very happy lol.

MASwings' new route maps include that, Kapit will receive a facelift for Twin Otter to fly there.

Well, being a Sarawakian in his 30's who had been hearing our state government figures dreaming of having connections to here and there in an effort to buffer up the local tourism industry since childhood; they failed to realise that we do not have what Sabah can provide. Further more there is no vivid actions being taken to bring the dream into reality. Years after years, terms after terms; they still only talk and dream, we know empty talk is cheap. So fellow Sarawakians, just listen, laugh and forget about it. If we really had that market to sustain the service in the long run, I do not belive Malaysia Airlines, Air Asia or Malindo would not tap into the market concern!

No wonder there is a book entitled "Humans are underrated" by Geoff Colvin. From most of the comments and thoughts here, seems most of us are very skeptical and utterly underestimating the ability of our own, well couldn't blame the typical Malaysian mindset could we? Anyway, this is a good discussion and I think we should continue, since MH inevitably will be in the list of for sale item by the current fed gov't, the Sarawak gov't could consider acquiring everything or take majority stake in MAB, and put the former successful Sarawakian CEO on the helm. He has done it before so there is no reason he can't do it again. Better than starting from scratch since everything is there except cash and the brain. That should put a big smile on the their tourism minister who has been asking for more direct link to KCH.

Sign in to follow this