MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

2019 Aircraft Deliveries to MAG, AirAsia & AirAsia X Groups & Malindo/Batik Malaysia

Seems clear to me OD is still unsure of their business strategy. Let's hope the new team led by CEO Capt Mushafiz could put things into better perspective.

For those that may have missed it, OD's B738 9M-LNV has been leased to Fiji Airways to provide coverage for their grounded MAX's.

Read somewhere that it was fully crewed by OD tech and cabin crew with the addition of a FJ purser.

Still intrigues me that OD can afford to wet lease out 2 738's and still operate their full network including their recently introduced routes, I just can't fathom to understand their fleet logic. That said their does seem to be noticeably less aircraft parked opposite the B gates at KLIA.

Yes, it is good to see those sleeping airframe put to good use. I think OD are leasing out as much extra capacity as they can and and utilising those remaining harder with shorter turnaround and milking them to dry. There was an interview recently with outgoing CEO Chandran Rama Muthy which he gave a lot of information on OD current and future operation.

He mentioned they are also leasing out their B737NG to Samoa Airways as well for cover for MAX grounding too. They have leased out two new ATR 72 to Royal Brunei recently, delivered in all white livery.

In terms of strategy, they have confirmed they are now a full service carrier. Aiming to be profitable by 2021 (8 years after initial service!!)

Next stops will be Sydney and Da Nang. The scissor hub in Bali must be working well for them.

They are expecting four more B737-800NG and two ATR 72 before end of 2019.

The Star Interview with outgoing CEO Chandran Rama Muthy: https://www.thestar.com.my/business/business-news/2019/08/26/malindo-plans-more-routes-and-aircraft

Samoa Airways lease: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/samoa-airways-to-wet-lease-737-800-from-malindo-457028/

Fiji Airways lease: https://fijisun.com.fj/2019/09/11/fiji-airways-temporarily-leases-malindo-air-boeing-737-800/

The Sydney service has already commenced.

Yes, it is good to see those sleeping airframe put to good use. I think OD are leasing out as much extra capacity as they can and and utilising those remaining harder with shorter turnaround and milking them to dry. There was an interview recently with outgoing CEO Chandran Rama Muthy which he gave a lot of information on OD current and future operation.

He mentioned they are also leasing out their B737NG to Samoa Airways as well for cover for MAX grounding too. They have leased out two new ATR 72 to Royal Brunei recently, delivered in all white livery.

In terms of strategy, they have confirmed they are now a full service carrier. Aiming to be profitable by 2021 (8 years after initial service!!)

Next stops will be Sydney and Da Nang. The scissor hub in Bali must be working well for them.

They are expecting four more B737-800NG and two ATR 72 before end of 2019.

The Star Interview with outgoing CEO Chandran Rama Muthy: https://www.thestar.com.my/business/business-news/2019/08/26/malindo-plans-more-routes-and-aircraft

I would dispute that OD are now are full service carrier also, they launched as a hybrid carrier back in March 2013, with all inclusive fares, now they've gone down the LCC/bundled tier fares model. Further to this the fares I've looked at once ancillaries are added in they were more than MH on a number of sampled flights originated ex Perth.

The likes of QF, SQ and CX are FSC, Malindo/Batik Malaysia are just plain confusing about their identity and place in the market. They have so much potential but have slid down the totem pole further. The should've kept the hybrid model and if needed reduced their generous allowances.

Being Australian but spending a considerable amount of time in MY, I can truthfully say Aussies vote with their wallets, they need to complete the rebrand and distance themselves from aircraft which resemble Lion Air.

I'm guessing the alleged incoming incoming 737NG's are from Batik?

According to Batik Air Director of Batik Air Capt Achmad Luthfie, two Thai Lion Air A330-343E will be reallocated to Malindo Air.

Below are the two:

HS-LAH   MSN1820    Airbus A330-343    C18Y374    20 Nov 2017    lsf CMIG Aviation Leasing    2.1 Years    
HS-LAJ   MSN1832    Airbus A330-343    C18Y374    4 Dec 2017    lsf CMIG Aviation Leasing

The third one HS-LAI MSN1828 has returned to Batik Air Indonesia  yesterday as PK-LDY.  

Edited by JuliusWong

6 minutes ago, JuliusWong said:

According to Batik Air Director of Batik Air Capt Achmad Luthfie, two Thai Lion Air A330-343E will be reallocated to Malindo Air.

Below are the two:

HS-LAH   MSN1820    Airbus A330-343    C18Y374    20 Nov 2017    lsf CMIG Aviation Leasing    2.1 Years    
HS-LAJ   MSN 832    Airbus A330-343    C18Y374    4 Dec 2017    lsf CMIG Aviation Leasing

The third one HS-LAI MSN 1828 has returned to Batik Air Indonesia  yesterday as PK-LDY.  

These aircraft were originally allocated to Malindo Air but plans changed close to their delivery dates.

HS-LAH was originally allocated the Malaysian reggo of 9M-LFC while HS-LAJ was 9M-LFF. There is a typo on the MSN for HS-LAJ - it should be MSN 1832.

Anyone want to guess where these aircraft will fly to? My guess is Japan and Australia...

2 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

Below are the two:

HS-LAJ   MSN1832    Airbus A330-343    C18Y374    4 Dec 2017    lsf CMIG Aviation Leasing

The third one HS-LAI MSN1828 has returned to Batik Air Indonesia  yesterday as PK-LDY.  

Now this is interesting. 

2 hours ago, flee said:

These aircraft were originally allocated to Malindo Air but plans changed close to their delivery dates.

HS-LAH was originally allocated the Malaysian reggo of 9M-LFC while HS-LAJ was 9M-LFF. There is a typo on the MSN for HS-LAJ - it should be MSN 1832.

Anyone want to guess where these aircraft will fly to? My guess is Japan and Australia...

Who knows they will reintroduce flights to Jeddah as well (since they previously operate flights to Jeddah via Hyderabad on B739ER)

it will be interesting to see how malindo going to deploy their A333 to make it work in generating needed revenue, perhaps a mix of long haul with high dense domestic flight with the current config?

On second thought with Malindo's ticket fares being so affordable these days, even lower than AK. I for one wouldn't mind an LCC config A330 just to get myself from A to B. Even so for the general public who is not even aware of these kind of matter. 

Is Lion ready to spend more money and time to reconfigure the frames?  I thought they would immediately deploy them on revenue flights i.e. KUL - PER non-stop.

Also interesting to note that while Air Asia group prefers to send their A330 to DMK and based them there, Lion group is doing just the opposite.

It is interesting to note that those two Thai Lion frames were originally configured for Malindo. The fresh from factory delivered Thai Lion A339Neo has a single class 436 seat configuration. This is what Thai Lion really wants - so they feel that their A333s are a bit too "premium" already, and should now go to Malindo.

I would think they will not reconfigure both aircraft as their current configuration is pretty decent and competitive for low cost, long haul/ hybrid flight. It has 15 more seats compared to AirAsia X's.

Both cabin have seat back PTV installed. Perhaps Malindo will have an upper hand by offering free entertainment as to what they are currently offering on narrow body service. Their premium cabin has large screen PTV similar to premium carrier. Coincidentally the seat make is similar to what AirAsia X's new premium cabin seat, but the latter does not have PTV installed.

https://www.lionairthai.com/en/ThaiLionAir-Experience/Seating-> Scroll to the bottom.

As comparison. total seat and breakdown:

AirAsia X: C12 365Y= 377 

Malindo: C18 374= 392

Any info about the incoming B738s to OD? Heard that ID is transferring 3 of their B738 to OD.

AirAsia India is taking ex-AirAsia Malaysia MSN 5430 9M-AQR. New reguistration unknown at the moment.

With the delivery,  AirAsia India current fleet will stand at 25.

On 11/7/2019 at 4:16 PM, Tamizi Hj Tamby said:

Any info about the incoming B738s to OD? Heard that ID is transferring 3 of their B738 to OD.

At the moment, all Batik Air Indonesia B737-800 are flying, not sure which will be assigned to OD. Confirmed was three, another three is under consideration. 

19 hours ago, flee said:

Three B737-8 Maxs earmarked for Batik Air Malaysia have flown their first flights. We now await their certification by the FAA.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vT4A5UPczk4RQrQAOUEjxHyAtm8yPt_WtpUN-HS7QaNh3lVNue0BsWrCzUbzvjT1_FkpXtm8Zrqzz1U/pubhtml

Let's hope Boeing will settle the Max problem as quickly as possible. They suffered a lot because of the Max fiasco.

And thanks for the Google sheets on the delivery list. Will be easy to know what aircraft will enter service.

Edited by Tamizi Hj Tamby

Thai AirAsia X has added another used A330-343. This time from Aeroflot. 

Airbus A330-343 1058 HS-XTK Thai AirAsia X delivery 09 Dec 2019 HKG-DMK, ex VQ-BCQ

Seating capacity is C12Y365. Brand new seats.  Surprised to them reconfigured it so fast. 

Edited by JuliusWong

2 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

Thai AirAsia X has added another used A330-343. This time from Aeroflot. 

Airbus A330-343 1058 HS-XTK Thai AirAsia X delivery 09 Dec 2019 HKG-DMK, ex VQ-BCQ

Seating capacity is C12Y365. Brand new seats.  Surprised to them reconfigured it so fast. 

It took about 2+ months.

Internal transfer:

Airbus A320-216     3299          PK-AZP     Indonesia AirAsia     delivery 03dec19 CAN-CGK     ex HS-ABB

Source: Skyliner-aviation.de

Sign in to follow this