MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

KL International Airport exceeds service quality targets

'Flaw' as in service quality, management and maintenance, right?

If flaw in building design would mean hazard to safety, then it should not be opened in the beginning!

Flaw is not limited to safety; could include ergonomic, etc. Airport is a node in the transportation network; seamless transfer and efficiency is critical.

How many modern terminal has so many change of direction and elevation as klia2?

Edited by KK Lee

Klia2 was purposely designed and built to be inferior to t1. While at the same time add aerobridge to inflate construction cost.

Edited by KK Lee

While at the same time add aerobridge to inflate construction cost.

No aerobridge: MAHB gets bashed for giving in to Tonys penny pinching, no better than LCCT, cannot compete with DMK/SIN, hate walking under the sun and rain, etc.

With aerobridge: T2 is too expensive

No aerobridge: MAHB gets bashed for giving in to Tonys penny pinching, no better than LCCT, cannot compete with DMK/SIN, hate walking under the sun and rain, etc.

With aerobridge: T2 is too expensive

Sorry, i meant the bridge linking the two terminal buildings. Edited by KK Lee

Sorry, i meant the bridge linking the two terminal buildings.

Perhaps an overpriced rickety aerotrain connecting the Satellite with MTB2 would make more sense? Or would that further inflate the construction cost?

Perhaps an overpriced rickety aerotrain connecting the Satellite with MTB2 would make more sense? Or would that further inflate the construction cost?

In most modern airport, aerobridge docking height is the focus point/elevation of terminal buildings.

At klia2, mtb building is designed around the link bridge, added at least 2 floor level i.e cost.

Wonder if a hybrid klia2 design and AK group's business model could possibly morph to produce an (uncovered) pedestrian walkway between MTB2 and Satellite2, the sort of zebra crossing like design ...

... with options of

a. paid access to one of those mechanized walkalators (shielded from the elements)

b. transfer by air-cond bus shuttles (for an extra premium)

:)

Edited by BC Tam

Rat infestation at KLIA is all over global news outlets right now.

Oh dear !! How unhygienic if there is truth to it !!! Any source?

On another note, the reason why KLIA2 has aerobridges is because of the enforcement of anti-people smuggling, which was initiated and mooted by the MoT and DCAM previously. I don't think AK and D7 have anything to do with that enforcement.

Speaking of service quality, I don't see any positive outcome from their hyped up improvements. Please visit the toilets at KLIA1 and you will see how filthy the toilets are; now that is not the fault of the operators entirely, the people who use it also play a part in the upkeep of the toilets. Just have a look at our malls and the way the people use it, bidets in the toilet bowl, tissues everywhere on the floor, pee and other remanence in and outside the toilet bowl, rubbish in the sink, plastic stuffed into the toilet bowl and etc. Having said that, the operators of the airport do not maintain them well, using really cheap detergents, lack of toilet rolls, unrepaired bidet and etc. The lights in KLIA1 are so dim at night and poor air-conditioning at both KLIA1 and KLIA2 (cost saving measures). If any of you notice, the observation deck or area is very warm throughout the day. In Changi T1, I can sit at the observation deck/area the whole day if I could comfortably. Parking lot at KLIA1 has just gotten more and more difficult for regular passengers or picking up as they have now converted the L2 for premium parking. Ancillary income perhaps :nea:

Customer services at both the terminals are not at its best. They can do better, customer centric or a simple smile and courtesy can go a long way. However, our front liners are either grumpy or think the world owes them a living, poor manners. What standards are they referring to? What kind of benchmark are they focused on? Who assesses their service standards? How is it that they hype up their services when it does not tally with the realities? Oh well, just my point of view based on my own experience traveling through KUL. Honestly, I used to support KUL and our national carrier, maybe even claim to be their number one supporter myself :nea: but now I cannot say the same because of uncountable negative encounters. Let's hope 2019 will bring about some change. :aggressive:

On another note, the reason why KLIA2 has aerobridges is because of the enforcement of anti-people smuggling, which was initiated and mooted by the MoT and DCAM previously. I don't think AK and D7 have anything to do with that enforcement.

Speaking of service quality, I don't see any positive outcome from their hyped up improvements. Please visit the toilets at KLIA1 and you will see how filthy the toilets are; now that is not the fault of the operators entirely, the people who use it also play a part in the upkeep of the toilets. Just have a look at our malls and the way the people use it, bidets in the toilet bowl, tissues everywhere on the floor, pee and other remanence in and outside the toilet bowl, rubbish in the sink, plastic stuffed into the toilet bowl and etc. Having said that, the operators of the airport do not maintain them well, using really cheap detergents, lack of toilet rolls, unrepaired bidet and etc. The lights in KLIA1 are so dim at night and poor air-conditioning at both KLIA1 and KLIA2 (cost saving measures). If any of you notice, the observation deck or area is very warm throughout the day. In Changi T1, I can sit at the observation deck/area the whole day if I could comfortably. Parking lot at KLIA1 has just gotten more and more difficult for regular passengers or picking up as they have now converted the L2 for premium parking. Ancillary income perhaps :nea:

Customer services at both the terminals are not at its best. They can do better, customer centric or a simple smile and courtesy can go a long way. However, our front liners are either grumpy or think the world owes them a living, poor manners. What standards are they referring to? What kind of benchmark are they focused on? Who assesses their service standards? How is it that they hype up their services when it does not tally with the realities? Oh well, just my point of view based on my own experience traveling through KUL. Honestly, I used to support KUL and our national carrier, maybe even claim to be their number one supporter myself :nea: but now I cannot say the same because of uncountable negative encounters. Let's hope 2019 will bring about some change. :aggressive:

This! 100% agree with all of the above

This is why it's more appropriate to demand that MTB's Airport Tax be brought down to klia2 level.

but surprisingly, the lights in BKI terminal has been improve since 3 or 4 months ago. at least for land-side.

Klia2 was purposely designed and built to be inferior to t1. While at the same time add aerobridge to inflate construction cost.

Passing through klia2 again proves to be frustating (at least for me). the maze of shopping lots and ups and downs stairs really adds up to the confusion. And signages are inconsistent and downright confusing. The brain has to to do some arithmetic to make situation logic (i.e. L1, L1M???, then L2...) and elevators buttons instead show 'CP1, CP2, CP3' which is completely not consistent with elevator position (which is P1, P2, P3...) and posted signages.

And direction to Tune Hotel klia2 does not exist at all, although Tune Hotel could have make more effort in providing direction starting right from passengers exiting from arrival hall. Otherwise, tired passengers (like me) have to make some u-turns...

The brain has to to do some arithmetic to make situation logic (i.e. L1, L1M???, then L2...) and elevators buttons instead show 'CP1, CP2, CP3' which is completely not consistent with elevator position (which is P1, P2, P3...) and posted signages.

Sounds like the same architect for Paradigm Mall in Kelana Jaya, where Basement 1 to Ground Floor has like 10 floors in between (lower ground 1-5, concourse 1-3, mezzanine 1-2) and then Ground, upper Ground etc. If it ain't broke don't fix it (nothing wrong with G, 1, 2, 3 if they follow British etc. or 1, 2, 3 if they follow American)

Sounds like the same architect for Paradigm Mall in Kelana Jaya, where Basement 1 to Ground Floor has like 10 floors in between (lower ground 1-5, concourse 1-3, mezzanine 1-2) and then Ground, upper Ground etc. If it ain't broke don't fix it (nothing wrong with G, 1, 2, 3 if they follow British etc. or 1, 2, 3 if they follow American)

Yes true that and in fact they are the same builders :sorry: :sorry: :sorry:

Heard some foreigners queued for over 2 hours at this queue.

qqSESxj.jpg

2 hours? I guess that's par the course for most other airports. I remembered waiting that long at Washington Dulles to clear immigration & customs.

2 hours? I guess that's par the course for most other airports. I remembered waiting that long at Washington Dulles to clear immigration & customs.

Oh yes IAD is crazy with the long long lines at the immigration and I avoid flying into IAD and prefer JFK instead.

Speaking of KULs' long lines, I think they either have an unexpected increase in arrivals OR the counters opened are not sufficient. MAHB should look into this.

On another note, does anyone notice that the font and colours used for the new signages are not on par with the standard fonts they use at KLIA1? Just an observation.

It might be standard at crappy airports but that does not make it acceptable IMHO. Not when KLIA (and the country as a whole) has greater aspirations.

Heard some foreigners queued for over 2 hours at this queue.

Speaking of which I saw four automatic gates installed for foreign passport holders at KLIA. I saw one foreign traveller attempting to use it but didn't work for her. Apart from that, there is no one using that machines as all of them queuing up just like in your photo.

My cousins queued at Heathrow for 106 minutes. Immigration queue at big airports usually take 45minutes to 3hours depending on how efficient they handle peak arrivals.

At BKI though at night there's a horde of Korean and prc flights at night and sometimes only 4 foreign passport counters are open that one is unacceptable.

At KLIA I was stuck at the domestic to international immigration counter for 45minute as only 2 were open you could hear how anxious many of the pax were as they could miss their connecting. Countless times ground crew have unloaded passenger transfer bags. By the time passengers reached the designated gates their have already been offloaded. This is one of the reasons why I would never buy flights with less than 1.5hours of transit time in between no matter how attractive the fares are.

Edited by jahur

At BKI though at night there's a horde of Korean and prc flights at night and sometimes only 4 foreign passport counters are open that one is unacceptable.

Was arriving BKI from DMK on Christmas day and there were 2 counters for local, 6 for foreign passport. If that's is not enough they decided to queue everyone thru the baggage X Ray machines and the Green Lane was closed. Some people very hungry oh...

At KLIA I was stuck at the domestic to international immigration counter for 45minute as only 2 were open you could hear how anxious many of the pax were as they could miss their connecting.

When the dom-intl immigration is busy, I find it faster to head airside and go upstairs to international departures. Especially for Malaysian passport holders as the main departure immigration hall has autogates.

Sign in to follow this