MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Craig

Malaysia Airlines NS19 Changes

Time to say RIP to REP #sorrynotsorry

According to airlineroute, MH will terminate its 3 weekly service to Siem Reap (REP). Last flight is scheduled for 30MAR2019.

Like KBV,MH hand over REP to AK on silver platter.

Like KBV,MH hand over REP to AK on silver platter.

3 weekly flights filled with mainly tourists isn't exactly silver platter. AK isn't huge in KUL-REP as well (11 weekly flights).

KBV is interesting. MH tried and failed (with 11 weekly flights IIRC), so did MI. But somehow AK/FD is successful in flying it 4 times daily ex-KUL and once a day ex-SIN.

MH also applied for an additional daily frequency to DPS - so they are probably just adjusting their network.

Edited by Craig

Yes it was. Note that AirAsia started daily flights to HND when MH ended their BKI-HND flights.

i see... couldnt remember the route BKI-HND exist before. i always thought only BKI-NRT and BKI-KIX :D

i see... couldnt remember the route BKI-HND exist before. i always thought only BKI-NRT and BKI-KIX :D

KUL-BKI-NRT was dropped when BKI-HND came along I believe

Oh yes it does.

It's rather convenient that MH's service ended in Feb '12 & D7 started increased frequency operations by Mar '12.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/29/breaking-news/140226/news-from-around-the-world/?highlight=airasia%20haneda

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/135961/malaysia-airlines-de-hubs-kota-kinabalu-from-jan-2012/?highlight=malaysia%20airlines%20haneda

The BKI - HND was operated by the B738, it was for a short time only before handed down to D7 during the share swap.

MH will be adding a 4th daily DPS flight at less than ideal (to put it mildly) schedule:

MH867 KUL2100 - 00:05+1DPS 738 D

MH866 DPS0110 - 0410KUL 738 D

IIRC, MH had a similar schedule before and that flight didn't last long. The silver lining is pax on this flight won't have to endure Bali traffic to get to/from their hotels :D

Edited by Craig

MH will be adding a 4th daily DPS flight at less than ideal (to put it mildly) schedule:

IIRC, MH had a similar schedule before and that flight didn't last long. The silver lining is pax on this flight won't have to endure Bali traffic to get to/from their hotels :D

Per the airlineroute archives:

Malaysia Airlines from 01AUG13 is introducing 4th daily Kuala Lumpur Denpasar service, where itll operate during midnight hours from Kuala Lumpur on board Boeing 737-800 aircraft.

MH715 KUL0850 1150DPS 772 D

MH851 KUL1205 1505DPS 772 D

MH853 KUL1520 1820DPS 738 D

MH867 KUL2330 0230+1DPS 738 D

MH866 DPS0435 0730KUL 738 D

MH714 DPS1250 1550KUL 772 D

MH850 DPS1605 1905KUL 772 D

MH852 DPS1920 2215KUL 738 D

MH866 begins from 02AUG13.

The BKI - HND was operated by the B738, it was for a short time only before handed down to D7 during the share swap.

Malaysia were only given 7 slot pairs by the Japanese govt. - all night time slots. At that time, 3 each were given to D7 and MH and the remaining was reserved for cargo (Transmile). IIRC, the cargo slot was never used and D7 took that too...

Interestingly, more HND slots have been awarded in recent years and Malaysia never got any extra. I wonder if MAVCOM applied for more slots?

I've done these exact 2 flight numbers as a turn before. I thought it was great as i didn't have to take any leave :)

Per the airlineroute archives:

Malaysia Airlines from 01AUG13 is introducing 4th daily Kuala Lumpur Denpasar service, where itll operate during midnight hours from Kuala Lumpur on board Boeing 737-800 aircraft.

MH715 KUL0850 1150DPS 772 D

MH851 KUL1205 1505DPS 772 D

MH853 KUL1520 1820DPS 738 D

MH867 KUL2330 0230+1DPS 738 D

MH866 DPS0435 0730KUL 738 D

MH714 DPS1250 1550KUL 772 D

MH850 DPS1605 1905KUL 772 D

MH852 DPS1920 2215KUL 738 D

MH866 begins from 02AUG13.

Ah! Gracias. Not much better from before.

Interestingly, more HND slots have been awarded in recent years and Malaysia never got any extra. I wonder if MAVCOM applied for more slots?

There were no Japanese carriers flying HND-KUL during the second round of slots allocation hence Malaysia did not receive extra nighttime or daytime slots at that time.

I've done these exact 2 flight numbers as a turn before. I thought it was great as i didn't have to take any leave :)

Didn't know DPS is conducive for B2B turns. Will keep that in mind ;)

Does the new DPS int'l terminal facilitate easy airside turnaround?

Have only experienced same plane turnaround in the old terminal and I caused quite a bit of chaos as they had to open a locked gate - and many people were sent looking for whoever had the keys - to do everything airside.

On December 18, MAB has been awarded air traffic right from KUL to DPS +7 weekly, BKK +4 weekly, NKG +1 weekly and SYX 2x weekly. All will commence on Mar 19. So, DPS is the first one to go official.

Didn't know DPS is conducive for B2B turns. Will keep that in mind ;)

It's not. I was a bit gung ho with that one :p

The old 867/866s 2hr turnaround made it easier

I seem to recall it being a bit less than 2 hours, but certainly longer than normal turns.

Does the new DPS int'l terminal facilitate easy airside turnaround?

No it doesn't. It's terrible :p will not try that again for sure!

Japan's MOT announced that US will get a huge chunk of the ~50 new daytime slots available at HND wef NS2020 schedule. 24 slots were allocated for JP-US routes (12 slots each for American/Japanese carriers) - that's a lot! That means Malaysia will be fighting for the remaining 13 slots (I'd assume the other 13 slots are reserved for Japanese carriers, making 26 slots). The silver lining is NH serves HND-KUL and I'd be very surprised if Malaysia receives none (Malaysia's current BFF is Japan - so hopefully Mr. Loke / Dr. M can sweet talk into getting more for Malaysia).

MH will increase MEL to 17 weekly, this will only be from 01JUL to 30SEP. I think MH is testing the market too see if a third service is sustainable before committing to a year round increase. The service will also give Tullamarine a morning KUL service since D7 went to Avalon. I wonder if D7's move has had a positive impact on MH - though price is still the main motivator for these services.

Malaysia Airlines in the 3rd quarter of 2019 is increasing Kuala Lumpur – Melbourne service, as overall service increases from 14 to 17 weekly. Additional service will operate from 01JUL19 to 30SEP19, KUL departure. A330-300 operates this route.

MH129 KUL0920 – 1915MEL 333 D
MH149 KUL2210 – 0755+1MEL 333 D
MH147 KUL2355 – 0950+1MEL 333 157

MH146 MEL1155 – 1815KUL 333 126
MH148 MEL1355 – 2030KUL 333 D
MH128 MEL2330 – 0600+1KUL 333 D

Source: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/282970/malaysia-airlines-increases-melbourne-service-in-3q19/

Wow, pretty cool seeing an airline so quickly fill in the gap (from a slot perspective).

AK is too committed to Avalon to ever make a return here.

AK is too committed to Avalon to ever make a return here.

I think D7 remembers what a cheap airport with a cow shed can do for passenger volumes - the LCCT virtually helped make Airasia Group what it is today.

LCCT also helped KLIA grow from a sleepy airport to become a bustling 40m pax per annum airport.

Edited by flee

I think D7 remembers what a cheap airport with a cow shed can do for passenger volumes - the LCCT virtually helped make Airasia Group what it is today.

LCCT also helped KLIA grow from a sleepy airport to become a bustling 40m pax per annum airport.

Apples and oranges. AK/D7 had the ability to grow at that cow shed. Unless Air Asia Group secures an Australian AOC, AVV will just be the origin or destination for all pax (with very minimal non-interline transfers to OOL, ADL, and SYD on JQ but D7 already flies to OOL/SYD).

AVV is also much further away from Melbourne's CBD than MEL where as KUL's former LCCT and KUL T1 is almost equidistance to KL's city center (and AK/D7 gets the benefit of transferring to/from other airlines operating at KUL even though it's a non-interline transfer).

And the Aussie PSC (WY) for MEL is AUD $21 where as at AVV is AUD $20! Score! Btw, did Air Asia removed the ability to see the breakdown of taxes?

Edited by Craig

And the Aussie PSC (WY) for MEL is AUD $21 where as at AVV is AUD $20! Score! Btw, did Air Asia removed the ability to see the breakdown of taxes?

Wow. Expect a war with the authorities in Australia soon? No?

Appears that you can only see it at the end page, and not in the middle of booking

On December 18, MAB has been awarded air traffic right from KUL to DPS +7 weekly, BKK +4 weekly, NKG +1 weekly and SYX 2x weekly. All will commence on Mar 19. So, DPS is the first one to go official.

DPS +7 weekly, BKK +2 weekly and NKG +1 weekly has already been added to the schedule.

MH was also approved for additional 260 weekly seats for KUL-BOM and 889 weekly seats for KUL-PER

Edited by Craig

Just done a return PER-KUL-PEN-KUL-PER trip, MH127/126 was on A332's with the recent Northern Summer changes, which was a huge deciding factor when booking this trip.

As side note has anyone looked more closely at the utilisation rates for these 6 A332's?

They're very low and the aircraft spend most of their time parked in KUL, does anyone know if these are on a pay-by-the-hour lease arrangement or a conventional lease?

Looking at FR24 records there's no way they currently need all 6 of these aircraft, once again MH seems unable to efficiently make best use of their assets.

Sign in to follow this